Senet fights back on net neutrality

nytimes.com/2018/05/16/technology/net-neutrality-senate.html

Attached: s.jpg (636x497, 50K)

>ml

who the fuck cares about amerimutts and their politics

Attached: 4E3633829A1142D396DA5E25E4A95E6F.jpg (308x391, 12K)

B8

>the senate is a bunch of idiots
>the house, full of wiser people, will dismiss this petty lunacy

screencap this

That's the opposite of what's supposed to happen. But we've been living in political opposite day since the civil rights movement so I believe it.

>Bigger government
yaaaaaaaaay...

>mfw ameritards won't leave my internet

Attached: JUST.jpg (933x933, 76K)

>we
I hate this word so much

no we don't

Go back to Jow Forums, Amerimutt.

ITT: Jow Forums corporate bootlickers

We did it Reddit!

Wohoooo!

Fun fact, every vote against the bill was republican.
INB4 "that makes net neutrality bad"

> hurp durp the internet worked fine until 2015 hurp durp
You faggots don't udnerstand. The big normie breakthrough of the internet happened presicesly around 2010-2015
That's when even your grandma got a netflix subscription and started watching series in HD.
ISPs want to fight back because now people are cutting cables more than ever.
You can't fucking look at 2005 and say "but it worked fine without regulations then"

Attached: 1526523802683.jpg (378x603, 42K)

>senet

doesn't matter. laws aren't real

Fun Fact: Your torrents will be blocked and throttled with NN

Why not?

>ISPs want to fight back because now people are cutting cables more than ever.
>You can't fucking look at 2005 and say "but it worked fine without regulations then"
can you explain what you mean by these things?

Because saying 'the internet is still the internet and hasn't changed' is like saying 'transportation is still transportation just because we have airplanes now doesn't mean we need some kind of big government FAA. We were just fine in 1850 so we'll be fine now'.

'The internet' is not a specific thing. It's a set of a fuckton of technologies all working together over a more-or-less common infrastructure. And those technologies are changing all the time, and individuals or corporations will find new ways to exploit those changes as the internet evolves. Laws typically can't keep up with business but that doesn't mean we just sit on our hands because 'it was working fine 16 years ago and technology never changes'

pro net neutrality means you are for state sponsored control of the internet.

Because the internet wasn't cutting directly into their profits by causing cable cutting. Back then they were (and still are largely through underhanded kikey schemes) selling triple play packages.
Piracy was a pretty much techie thing back then. Now even your tech iliterate illegal wetback neightbor has a netflix or Amazon Prime Video subscription and doesn't need cable.
So now you have things like Youtube and Netflix directly cutting into their biggest revenue stream (triple play packs) and they want to fight tooth and nail to screw you over one way or another so you pay more

Attached: 1526614951571.jpg (466x350, 35K)

>would you rather be able to vote for people in power or bend over to a regional monopoly

Yeah I'm fine with state controlled until someone trust busts the ISPs, thanks.

>and they want to fight tooth and nail to screw you over one way or another so you pay more

They can already do that by raising prices so your point is moot, retard.

house is more republican dominated, won't pass there

I've never seen anyone opposed to net neutrality outside of right-wing media and Jow Forums

Can someone give me a tl:dr why net neutrality shouldn't be supported?

Attached: save-net-neutrality.jpg (955x500, 83K)

muh evil communism
corporations have the right to fuck me in the ass

Attached: 1519451740954.png (541x463, 18K)

google wants net neutrality
that's enough right there for me

All of Jow Forums has been overrun by Jow Forums.

Jow Forums 10 years ago would not at all be saying the things they are now except to be making fun of morons. 'The internet is a series of tubes' is a good case study of this, although now Jow Forums would probably post about how that statement is a 'wise frogman' or something

Because ISPs have as much money. Next, people will want silly things like privacy.

I have never seen Jow Forums support a leftist cause, not sjw's, diversity, codes of conduct, etc. NN is no different, mr redditor.

a state sponsored internet will ensure that that never will happen because you go from a corporate duopoly to a government monopoly.

Because since NN, we've had more censorship, no gains in speed, and social media filled with vines of blacks attacking each other thanks to subsidies.

They certainly can, and it's what they do, but there's only so much they can raise the prices before normies realize and look for an alternative.
That's why they charge exorbitant prices for the internet alone up to the point where the triple play package is only a few extra bucks a month.
Now if they could sell tiered internet packages similar to cable that wouldn't look nearly as bad as raising the price for everyone.

you guys really btfo the other side, congrats

Who are you to tell ISPs how to run their businesses?

You need to go back, mr.Jow Forumsman.

Jow Forums historically has supported net neutrality because they understand what it means, unlike half of the fucking morons from Jow Forums here.

>muh ebil pole boogieman
funny way to make me disregard the rest of that post

It's not really neutral and only benefits Weeb 2.0 corporations.

>it is the duty of corporations to care for society
Why?

ITT: people who don't believe in market failures / dont know what net neutrality means on the granular level

Only Jow Forumstards complain about the pole boogieman. The rest of us know it's true.

computer networks for the masses was a mistake
let it die.

ISP's having a "monopoly" is also a farce. There's really nothing preventing already established ISP's from upgrading their infrastructure or even new people from coming it.

>>it is the duty of corporations to care for society
It is when speaking of basic necessities, which is why unless you live in a third world shithole the government either owns or has a set of regulations when it comes to basic human needs like electricity, water and gas.
The internet is a basic human right and needs the same protections as the water pipe that delivers you water and drains your sewage.

Attached: 1526250254323.jpg (1422x1066, 163K)

>The internet is a basic human right
no it isn't.
it's a commodity.

Ok

Attached: 1525509521761.png (683x913, 847K)

nice selfie

Nope, it is a communication service.

Neither is gas, you can always start a fire and cook your meals or heat water, nor is a clean source of water and sewage because you can always dig for water and a ditch for shit, what's your point?
Nothing besides food and clothing from the cold is a basic human necessity, everything else is a commodity.
Are you one of those hunter gatherers with asspergers?

Attached: 1524709006767.png (208x206, 60K)

throttle netflix. fuck em.

>Only redditors complain about the reddit boogieman. The rest of us know it's true.

>The internet is a basic human right
Lel. Mutts can't even provide running water for an island while people on the coasts think they have a divine right to Facebook.

if you want to make internet a "human right" then fix the existing "human rights" first like water and electrical. stop promising more than the system can deliver. stupid kids i swear.

Well that's why I said the first world, which pretty much doesn't apply to mutts.

Attached: 1518989717276.png (1104x872, 56K)

Nah. Medieval people didn't need natural gas lines to their house either. By setting a common floor, we elevate all of society by not allowing certain types of destitution, and that makes a nation one worth defending with a military.

Without strong rights at home, you're just defending a shitpile

i still dont understand
what exactly is netflix doing? is this god or bad and why?
what side are you on?

>only nazis complain about the nazi boogieman. the rest of us know it's true.

The only thing people are proposing is the first step towards the internet being a basic commodity like running water.
Nobody is talking about giving away free internet, just protecting it from corporations greed so in the future if America ever stops being a third world country they can start treating the internet like they do with gas.

stop sucking corporate cock

Because it benefits the big corporations that profit off the internet like Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc. by making it illegal to justly raise their prices because of the bandwidth hoggers they are. Even worse, they put up their "We the people" face while laboring in a complicated scheme to evade taxes, raking in some of our money for their "innovations", and tying the whole of the Third World shitters to their non-free technologies.
People who shill for NN are retarded normalfags that think they're smart for being able to navigate Material Design (TM) GUIs or some dumb politician that takes in big bucks from Facebook et al. Why people on Jow Forums dont see this, I have no clue.

>Nobody is talking about giving away free internet

you know that's a lie, so shut your face.

They're going to throttle your torrents and eventually the *chans so they have enough bandwidth for Netflix to stream 8k homosexuals having buttsex to your children. Get with the times gramps.

>so they have enough bandwidth for Netflix to stream 8k homosexuals having buttsex to your children
I support this.

based r*ddit wins again

>you know that's a lie, so shut your face.
What the fuck are you even reading?
Net neutrality isn't free internet for everyone. It's just treating all traffic equal regardless of origin or destination.
That's it. It's not some sort of secret communist plot to turn the water gay and impeach trump.

Attached: 1526479725832.jpg (161x131, 5K)

First they came for netflix. I stayed quiet cause I was a faggot
Then they came for reddit. I stayed quiet cause I was a faggot
Next they came for facebook. I stayed quiet cause I was a faggot.
Then they came for Jow Forums. There was no one left to speak for me cause I was a faggot.

Shame you probably won't get a reasonable response to this post

This.

Attached: F0C0D38D-6461-4A3F-8838-E35DCD286E00.png (499x280, 127K)

Netflix is pissing off Cable providers. Read American history if you want an idea of how big and powerful infrastructure companies are allowed to be in the states. Standard Oil, JP Morgan, AT&T, the list goes on.

So if you think Comcast is just a mom-and-pop shop, or maybe as big as your regional grocery chain or something, you might not grasp the full weight of the issue. They're fucking massive and they have a shitfuckton of money and leverage and power. Netflix doesn't have nearly as much but they have the support of the public, who have flocked to become their customers. And that makes some of those customers leave Comcast and other Cable television providers.

So Comcast fights back not by making a better and more competitive product, but by lobbying the legal system. This works because they can send a small team of lawyers and lobbyists that costs maybe a few million a year, but that's substantially better for their business than to try to compete on the free market, of which their share is already shrinking.

they need to accelerate this throttling plan so i can finally kick my internet addiction.

maybe it'll give me time to invent ip over netflix

>I'm a degenerate, so no fun allowed
Not everyone is a loser like you, user.

>Not everyone is a loser like you, user.
Just most.

>using the term degenerate uniornically

Two of the three that you have listed were broken up as trusts because of the monopolistic behaviors they exhibited. regulators are asleep at the wheel, they need to bust the cable companies.

wait youre talking about people watching netflix online instead of using comcast tv? isn't comcast also an isp too? i'm not from america.
i dont see how any of this is significant and how it effects/creates the whole net neutrality thing

Lol NN has been dead for a while now and the internet is literally the same.

Everything the redi7tors said was a LIE.

They make most of their money selling overprices triple play packages that include phone line, cable TV and Internet. What Netflix is doing is convincing people to cancel the cable and TV(since they got a cellphone already, who needs a house phone?) And leaving only the internet. This causes them to lose money and also saturates their shitty infrastructure they never upgraded so everyone suffers from slow internet

Attached: 469509-nec-display-solutions-np-me401w[1].jpg (333x187, 6K)

Great retort, you know I'm right though.

>everyone I don't like is projecting and from Jow Forums
k

WTF I love Netflix now

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-20_17-07-42.png (648x308, 73K)

so what is your opinion?

>facebook image files
As expected of Europoors, they really are OBSESSED

Netflix doesn't offer TV so they're not even in the same business.

Secondly even if someone cancels their TV subscription, Comcast or any other ISP can just raise their internet price.

Try again.

Yes, they're watching it online, but also at their TV. Netflix is also installed on Playstation, Xbox, and small boxes like Roku that people pay for one time, rather than a recurring bill from Comcast like their set-top boxes are, and then just connect them to their TV and watch Netflix content there.

Back to Comcast, yes, Comcast is an ISP but they're owned by NBCUniversal, which also own a ton of other media companies. So they're not 'just' an ISP, but they're the primary method that NBCUniversal is using to try to control how the public consumes media content, primarily because Comcast is allowed to have regional monopolies in the vast majority of their availability region.

So the outrage is mainly directed at Comcast but that's just part of the issue. NBCUniversal isn't the only bad guy here but they're the primary belligerents that are trying to retain the kinds of control they had prior to the internet existing.

NN does nothing against bittorrent, piracy, or even things like data caps.

Redditors are literally shilling in favor of Netflix FOR FREE.

>Netflix doesn't offer TV so they're not even in the same business.
Imagine being this dumb.
> Secondly even if someone cancels their TV subscription, Comcast or any other ISP can just raise their internet price.
They can, which will cause their costumers to look for alternatives and leave.
What they want to do instead of blanket raising prices is making tiered internet packages like they did for cable.
They will probably use Spotify, Youtube and Netflix as leverage to convince people to buy the middle or most expensive packages. "Includes 50GB of unlimited Netflix (That's over 10 movies!)"
This is what Net Neutrality aims to prevent.
All traffic is equal.

Attached: 1511417711499.png (1939x1051, 431K)

>NN does nothing against bittorrent, piracy,
Um, except it does sweetie?
Data caps are an entirely different thing. I'm sure that's the last resource of the kike in case NN remains.

>which will cause their costumers to look for alternatives and leave.
But they wouldn't do that in the biased hypothetical you imagine?

Only in some oligarchy post-apocalypric scenario where ALL ISPs in the country collude to raise prices instead of dropping them.
That will be hard considering there will be a lot of pissed off costumers looking for someone offering cheaper prices.
It might actually cause COMPETITION.
It truly is like another shoa

That isn't a biased hypothetical. If a subscriber leaves and the parent company wants to make the same amount of money, they can either spend money to find new customers, (which might not work), or raise prices for their remaining customers, who might leave, but they're required to pay that first month's bill first, shifting the problem into next quarter or something.

They COULD take it on the chin and use it as a sign to try harder next quarter but you and I both know that will never ever happen.

Didn't Google back off of their plan to offer cheap fiber internet because of all the red tape they had to go through because of all the decades of ISP lobbying?

>Imagine being this dumb.

Netflix does not provide live TV you moron.

>They can, which will cause their costumers to look for alternatives and leave.

But retards like you claim ISP's have a monopoly, so no alternative actually exists, according to you.

>What they want to do instead of blanket raising prices is making tiered internet packages like they did for cable.

They can already raise prices at will and implement data caps. This even under net neutrality.

>They will probably use Spotify, Youtube and Netflix as leverage to convince people to buy the middle or most expensive packages.

Or they can just simply raise prices and not even have to do "packages". By the way, tv packages exist because the media companies force it on to the cable companies.

Google backed off their plan probably because they know that in 20 years, there's a very good chance that Internet lines in the US and most first world nations will be publicly owned.

There's lots of cities in the US that have kicked out Comcast and set up their own public internet utility. They're god damned amazing and one of them is in the next town over. I might move there just to get their crazy good internet.

So while yes, Google did run into a lot of red tape that had been set up to prevent competition in the first place, they also don't want to position themselves into a market that has a very strong possibility of becoming municipality-owned in the coming decades. Especially since they're a software company, not a public utilities company. It doesn't really line up with their portfolio, even though they're all internet services.

Bittorent is lawful, any linux distro uses bittorrent

I really find it interesting how pro-NN people rationalize this. With NN unfair ISPs will have their customers cancel subscriptions and switch services, but without NN ISPs that are unfair in a somewhat different way won't have their customers trying to switch services?

NN is only about the no discrimination of packages. That's it.
It has nothing to do with prices, monopolies, regulations, anything.
Just no special treatment for packages.
Now this has the added benefit of hurting the big ISPs because they happen to control multiple cable channels and want to dictate what subscribers watch and consume, and they're hurt in multiple ways when a subscriber cuts the cord and moves to Youtube/Netflix for all his entertainment, but that's an entirely different issue.
NN isn't the magic bullet that will fix the third world grade internet mutts get, but it's the first step in the right direction.
It will take a lot to undo all the decades of lobbying.

Attached: 1526588503982.png (731x709, 49K)