Thinking about installing OpenBSD. I've installed FreeBSD before, and I had a generally positive experience with it

Thinking about installing OpenBSD. I've installed FreeBSD before, and I had a generally positive experience with it.

What are the major differences between OpenBSD and FreeBSD?

I know that as far as documentation goes, OpenBSD can use the docs of FreeBSD (for the most part). The ports tree is the same as well.

So is there any reason to use one over the other?

Attached: openBSD.jpg (1280x960, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems
vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you'll probably get more opinionated answers on here but I'd check this out too:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

What will you use it for?

I currently run OpenBSD on a x220 (server for httpd, smtpd) and a t470 (desktop), but considering installing a Linux distro on the t470. I love the OS, but want more functionality.

to your point about security, I've always wondered about how much more inheritely BSD really is over GNU/Linux. My understanding is that while Linux loads components for system calls into registers BSD does it on the stack? Nothing about staging system calls on the stack seemed more secure to me but I don't know any better.

My favourite pasta.

I used to run FreeBSD on my laptop, but got mostly turned off once I realized there wasn't as large of a software selection as on Linux.

And yes, I know that BSD can emulate Linux binaries. But the software I wanted to run would often rely on Linux libraries, which weren't present on BSD systems.

However, I do prefer the design of BSD systems to Linux system, particuraly the aspect of having a kernel and userland developed by the same folks. It makes things interoperate more smoothly, and I love consistency in software.

it's not intended to be general use, it's intended to provide a secure platform for hosted services and routing.

it's excellent as a server providing well-established services.

>I know that as far as documentation goes, OpenBSD can use the docs of FreeBSD (for the most part).
No
This isn't like linux kiddo

FreeBSD is a SJW joke

OpenBSD is chad

Whenever I use Linux, I have to use the docs of my distro, else there will usually be errors/inconsistencies.

With BSD, they're mostly the same, because they all use similar tools for installing software (the ports tree).

>he unironically uses the term SJW
leave your mom's basement occasionally, bucko

like fucking clockwork how do you be so reliable user?

FreeBSD is free while OpenBSD is open.

Currently installing in virutalbox. I'm gonna test some stuff.

The main thing that I am worried about is wifi support, as it's patchy even in Linux.

>inb4 it's not the best thing for laptops

and neither is Linux, so what.

Attached: 2018-05-20-191532_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 153K)

Some FreeBSD Project spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules. Harassment includes but is not limited to:

Comments that reinforce systemic oppression related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
Deliberate misgendering.
Deliberate use of "dead" or rejected names.
Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they're not appropriate.
Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., textual descriptions like "*hug*" or "*backrub*") without consent or after a request to stop.

>SJW is just a buzzword teehee go back to Jow Forums
Then what is this shit?
The absolute state of nu-Jow Forums.
*hug*

All the bsds are different operating systems. They are not comparable to Linux distros. Freebsd has its own distros like ghostbsd and pcbsd.

Install OpenBSD

Install Gentoo/OpenBSD

Attached: Gentoo_OpenBSD_logo.png (1280x1024, 816K)

>to your point about security, I've always wondered about how much more inheritely BSD really is over GNU/Linux. My understanding is that while Linux loads components for system calls into registers BSD does it on the stack? Nothing about staging system calls on the stack seemed more secure to me but I don't know any better.

You got it wrong.
All programs use the stack in a way or the other. With non-memory-safe languages like C and C++ you can overwrite the stack and change the behaviour of a program. There are various exploit mitigation techniques you can use. OpenBSD tries to use as many as possible ("canary" on the stack, Write XOR executable stack, and so on). There are also available in Linux as part of patches like grsecurity, but in OpenBSD those are not only available by default, but also enabled by default (in fast, many of the mitigations on OpenBSD you cannot even disable).

There are many other mitigations used by OpenBSD to make it harder to exploit software vulnerabilities.

>With BSD, they're mostly the same, because they all use similar tools for installing software (the ports tree).

No, those are similar but distinct tools. The BSDs have diverged a lot since they forked more than 20 years ago. The only similarity is because they have the same license, so they can borrow stuff from each other, but now they're quite different.

wifi drivers generally werk, if yours doesnt then just connect it to Ethernet and run fw_update

FreeBSD has huge CoC(k) and only cucks continue using it. Use NetBSD or OpenBSD. They are better choices in every way. If you want/need the best fs on market, use DragonflyBSD

For me, OpenBSD has been a better desktop experience, until FreeBSD finally fixed some shit. In the past, neither Chrome nor Firefox would run after being installed on FreeBSD. Similarly, OpenBSD's sound system is far more intuitive, and I can actually use my headphones on that OS, unlike FreeBSD.
However, FreeBSD is supported by a larger variety of video cards. But in general, OpenBSD is better. Just try it, and make your own decision after a few weeks.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
The defaults for many systems make more sense on OpenBSD, and OpenBSD's daemons often have incredibly easy config files. Especially opensmtpd versus sendmail.

You consent to having to suck a woman's penis on demand if you use freebsd.

hmmmm
*installs freebsd*

Since the freebsd community has gone to shit will trueos or hardenedbsd become its successor?

Nothing will happen.

HardenedBSD is taking off. Many users are switching to it. LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL, sane defaults. Those guys take security seriously unlike the FreeBSD cucks.

>*hug*
wtf, I never gave you consent, creep!

>LibreSSL
Literally nobody use it due to extreme regressions.

OpenBSD?

Not this copypasta again.