TFW you spend two days installing a piece of hardware not supported by Linux, on Linux, and finally get it working...

TFW you spend two days installing a piece of hardware not supported by Linux, on Linux, and finally get it working. Pic related. Finally got this beast up and running on Ubuntu 16.04. Went through 3 distros and many drivers. Now I feel like a god.

Attached: A7000_Stand_3-4Rt_Transparent.png (890x1350, 414K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
edimax.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000074625-how-to-install-ew-7833uac-in-linux-running-kernel-higher-than-v4-4
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/devices-with-certain-intel-ssds-may-enter-a-uefi/703ab5d8-d93e-4321-b8cc-c70ce22ce2f1
github.com/zebulon2/rtl8814au
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>linux
>it just werks
>y-y-you don't need to recompile the kernel anymore you guise

well done OP we're all very proud of you, imagine a room full of people clapping for you

Good job, user.
This may look like a little thing in the eyes of some people who browse this website but for someone who's autistic NEET who lives with his mom even though he's in his late thirties this is an achievement so don't let anyone put you down for it.

>Jow Forums - technology
>fuck this gay ass technology shit, nobody wants to create things, now help me get candy crush working

lol almost spot on!

except I'm an autistic network administrator, in his late thirties, who lives in his house with his girlfriend.

>his house with his girlfriend.
Is she a pillow, your hand or a girlfriend (male)?

Girls who were sexually abused by their fathers love autistic guys for some reason.

what is that thing tho?

It's a high gain Wi-Fi antenna

>>fuck this gay ass technology shit,
Technology that wastes your time and hinders productivity needs to get fucked, yes.
>nobody wants to create things
Nothing was created, though.

cool

>wifi dongle that big
whats it do, suck your dick?

>TFW you spend two days installing a piece of hardware not supported by Linux, on Linux, and finally get it working.

Welcome to how it was to use Linux in the 90s and early 00s.

May i ask what ur gonna do with this massive antenna on it? Besides compensate for lifes shortcomings

Wifi support is literally the only reason I don't switch to linux. I require it and driver support is ass

When was the last time you used Linux and/or why are you buying shit wireless devices?

I'm far from the router at home.

I tired to use Debian a few months back, but it wouldn't install no matter what I did. Though I had an first gen i7 shitty mobo, so that could have been the reason

Whats an i7 motherboard got to do with the wireless device you're attempting to use?

And Debian default install disks don't come with proprietary firmware blobs on them. You need to download a specific *.iso that includes those blobs. Which is a problem with you being a dumb fuck, rather than there being an issue with Debian or wireless devices.

What's its Stand power?

Debian would not install at all.
I'm not a linux expert so I would google the problem and nothing seemed to work.
I had reasons to suspect the mobo was at least partially at fault because of problems I had with Windows and POST

This. Fuck the tech normies who browse Jow Forums, keep doing what you're doing senpai.

So you were trying to install Linux onto a broken motherboard? Again, what relevance does this have to your statement that wifi support is the reason you didn't switch to linux and driver support is ass.

Answer? None. You're talking about shit you admit you don't fucking understand. The problem is quite clearly not Linux and hardware. But your dumb ass. You're trying to install shit onto something you already had problems with when trying to get Windows to post. But you blame wireless devices and driver support.

Shut the fuck up.

>16.04

Found your problem OP. Just install 18.04. It's likely to work out of the box.

lol, you think that's massive? you should check out some if the antennas we use in satcom.

Attached: eb17553639dd9ac912184f487d92b471.jpg (2520x1800, 455K)

>y-yes, just download these 1000+1 things for your distro to werk dumb winblows fags!!

Stop being a melodramatic faggot. It's an iso image completely identical to the default builds, only it includes non-free firmware.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

to be fair, windows would have installed those 1000 things, and another 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000,000,000,000 things you probably didn't need installed.

throw that wifi adapter in le garbage

it uses a shitty mediatek that's why its not supported by anything

>Now I feel like a god.
I can get you one wholesale.

おめでとう!

>Ubuntu 16.04
No wonder shit doesn't work when you use ancient distros. It would work out of the box on 18.04.

fyi.. i just tried it on Ubuntu 18.04.

did not work plug and play.

it worked, but i still had to manually install the rtl8814 driver using these instructions:
edimax.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000074625-how-to-install-ew-7833uac-in-linux-running-kernel-higher-than-v4-4

Quit posting here, you stupid faggot. Of course Linux distros aren't going to include software that is a licensing bomb waiting to go off.

You fuckers post this stupid shit like you weren't searching for and manually installing 10+ drivers every time you installed Windows before W10 was released. Eat a dick, mouthbreather.

S E E T H I N G

>Spend 2 days installing what seems to be a router
Why don't you spend this time at the job centre user and move out of your mom's attic?

>haters gonna hate

Attached: IMG_20180521_013958.jpg (2560x1920, 1.52M)

>Linux
>2 days to get hardware working
>Windows
>Plug it in and it just werks (or maybe you need to install drivers which takes 5 mins max)
Linux really is a hobbyist OS designed for NEETs.

>surface with alcantara

Attached: 1526828662783.jpg (661x661, 57K)

>Windows
>just werks

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (246x138, 9K)

>Argument given: 0

Attached: 1518876246547.jpg (680x680, 117K)

would have been more impressive if you wrote your own drivers

>have baseless argument
>mocked with 3DPD
>misused memes against anime
Current state of wangblows shills.

Attached: 1525208046218.gif (381x216, 966K)

Damn, now this is summer!

Attached: 1519339687222.jpg (500x329, 34K)

>ancient meme
>timestamp is from February
Still acting acting like an oldfag? Shitstain.

>Technology that wastes your time and hinders productivity needs to get fucked, yes.
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/devices-with-certain-intel-ssds-may-enter-a-uefi/703ab5d8-d93e-4321-b8cc-c70ce22ce2f1

Still waiting for a proper argument as to why Windows doesn't just werks.

Attached: 1523224178333.png (250x260, 30K)

Linus Torvalds is such a fucking idiot. He didn't even design Linux to magic drivers out of thin air. Total hack fraud.

plug n play?
more like plug n pray

At least he gives great tips!

Attached: 1496662865905.jpg (1024x740, 88K)

My car broke
>Not possible is bestest car!
I cannot start the motor anymore
>Where is your arguments?
Fuck you

what the FUCK is that even

tfw you spend two days installing a piece of hardware not supported by Linux, on Linux, and finally mail support to get a hint on how to get it working, but instead they link you to the 10 year old driver packages (32bit, rpm) you already have and tell you they don't support linux anymore

This is great OP, did you sent your achievements upstream so it just werks for future users?

he didn't splurge for the fingerprint reader though, sad

Nice robot dildo

I personally ended up running gigabit ethernet out my window to my router in another room instead of dealing with wireless drivers and shit

Goddamn, what crawled up your ass? Are you doin' ok?

The same thing for a netgear WNDA4100 on windows 10, thing just dropped connection all the time and the 5ghz band wasn't working at all.

Netgear drivers where not solving the issue but at last after figuring out what chip was inside i tried with the mediatek drivers that solved all the problems.

>you can only give someone compliments with someone else in your ass
why man

>compliment
At least be subtle

Goddamn, what crawled up your ass? Are you doin' ok?

I put you up my ass like the good dog you are

gross

Not an argument sweetie

talk dirty to me, slut!

Attached: 1521744108623.jpg (944x1058, 807K)

A7000 use Realtek though.

Literally just install Ubuntu and be done with it. I haven't had WiFi problems in years with it.

Does it keep you dry when it rains too?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Many users do not understand the difference between the kernel, which is Linux, and the whole system, which they also call “Linux”. The ambiguous use of the name doesn't help people understand. These users often think that Linus Torvalds developed the whole operating system in 1991, with a bit of help.

Attached: .jpg (800x449, 80K)

Programmers generally know that Linux is a kernel. But since they have generally heard the whole system called “Linux” as well, they often envisage a history that would justify naming the whole system after the kernel. For example, many believe that once Linus Torvalds finished writing Linux, the kernel, its users looked around for other free software to go with it, and found that (for no particular reason) most everything necessary to make a Unix-like system was already available.
What they found was no accident—it was the not-quite-complete GNU system. The available free software added up to a complete system because the GNU Project had been working since 1984 to make one. In the The GNU Manifesto we set forth the goal of developing a free Unix-like system, called GNU. The Initial Announcement of the GNU Project also outlines some of the original plans for the GNU system. By the time Linux was started, GNU was almost finished.
Most free software projects have the goal of developing a particular program for a particular job. For example, Linus Torvalds set out to write a Unix-like kernel (Linux); Donald Knuth set out to write a text formatter (TeX); Bob Scheifler set out to develop a window system (the X Window System). It's natural to measure the contribution of this kind of project by specific programs that came from the project.
If we tried to measure the GNU Project's contribution in this way, what would we conclude? One CD-ROM vendor found that in their “Linux distribution”, GNU software was the largest single contingent, around 28% of the total source code, and this included some of the essential major components without which there could be no system. Linux itself was about 3%. (The proportions in 2008 are similar: in the “main” repository of gNewSense, Linux is 1.5% and GNU packages are 15%.) So if you were going to pick a name for the system based on who wrote the programs in the system, the most appropriate single choice would be “GNU”.

Attached: foot.jpg (480x360, 10K)

But that is not the deepest way to consider the question. The GNU Project was not, is not, a project to develop specific software packages. It was not a project to develop a C compiler, although we did that. It was not a project to develop a text editor, although we developed one. The GNU Project set out to develop a complete free Unix-like system: GNU.
Many people have made major contributions to the free software in the system, and they all deserve credit for their software. But the reason it is an integrated system—and not just a collection of useful programs—is because the GNU Project set out to make it one. We made a list of the programs needed to make a complete free system, and we systematically found, wrote, or found people to write everything on the list. We wrote essential but unexciting components because you can't have a system without them. Some of our system components, the programming tools, became popular on their own among programmers, but we wrote many components that are not tools. We even developed a chess game, GNU Chess, because a complete system needs games too.
By the early 90s we had put together the whole system aside from the kernel. We had also started a kernel, the GNU Hurd, which runs on top of Mach. Developing this kernel has been a lot harder than we expected; the GNU Hurd started working reliably in 2001, but it is a long way from being ready for people to use in general.
Fortunately, we didn't have to wait for the Hurd, because of Linux. Once Torvalds freed Linux in 1992, it fit into the last major gap in the GNU system. People could then combine Linux with the GNU system to make a complete free system: a Linux-based version of the GNU system; the GNU/Linux system, for short.

Attached: .jpg (1920x1080, 145K)

Making them work well together was not a trivial job. Some GNU components needed substantial change to work with Linux. Integrating a complete system as a distribution that would work “out of the box” was a big job, too. It required addressing the issue of how to install and boot the system—a problem we had not tackled, because we hadn't yet reached that point. Thus, the people who developed the various system distributions did a lot of essential work. But it was work that, in the nature of things, was surely going to be done by someone.
The GNU Project supports GNU/Linux systems as well as the GNU system. The FSF funded the rewriting of the Linux-related extensions to the GNU C library, so that now they are well integrated, and the newest GNU/Linux systems use the current library release with no changes. The FSF also funded an early stage of the development of Debian GNU/Linux.
Today there are many different variants of the GNU/Linux system (often called “distros”). Most of them include non-free software—their developers follow the philosophy associated with Linux rather than that of GNU. But there are also completely free GNU/Linux distros. The FSF supports computer facilities for two of these distributions, Ututo and gNewSense.

Attached: .jpg (690x388, 34K)

Making a free GNU/Linux distribution is not just a matter of eliminating various non-free programs. Nowadays, the usual version of Linux contains non-free programs too. These programs are intended to be loaded into I/O devices when the system starts, and they are included, as long series of numbers, in the "source code" of Linux. Thus, maintaining free GNU/Linux distributions now entails maintaining a free version of Linux too.
Whether you use GNU/Linux or not, please don't confuse the public by using the name “Linux” ambiguously. Linux is the kernel, one of the essential major components of the system. The system as a whole is basically the GNU system, with Linux added. When you're talking about this combination, please call it “GNU/Linux”.

Attached: .jpg (3543x2362, 2.13M)

Attached: it's just linux.jpg (806x938, 337K)

you missed a few

Just the ones that weren't shown on my browser when I hit submit

Do you have the spurdified version?

Write down the process and share it faggot.

What the fuck kinda dongle is that?
That thing is huge!

Nice job user, this is best post of the month. I once spent a whole day rewriting touchscreen drivers for my Linux install on an old cash register PC.

Attached: chaika_intereted.gif (294x524, 3.65M)

this belongs on /a/ but nice one anyway

lol where?

if i put it here on Jow Forums it will be gone before tomorrows sunrise.

>installing a piece of hardware not supported by Linux, on Linux

The chipset used in your fuckhuge dongle has literally a legit Linux driver you fucking faggot. All you have to do is to compile it. You have accomplished absolutely nothing; you just don't know shit about Linux.

github.com/zebulon2/rtl8814au

holy fucking weapons grade autism.

i wasn't completely sure it was the driver to begin with, so i tried some other things first.

also, there was a few builds of that 8814au module that I tried.The one you linked isn't even the fork I got it working with. Some of them didn't even compile.

I had the same feels. At my college i took my memepad and tried to connect to the schools authentication requiring username and password instead of just ssid and psk.
Took me like 3 days of taking my laptop to school, tinkering some, having it not work. Driving home, doing research, then try again the next day.
I was told in the debian irc channel if I got it to work I should document it and sent it to the tech department. They have how to connect with ubuntu via GUI network manager. But I did it with just /network/interface and wpa_supplicant, command line.
Anyways, its a great victory getting wifi working on linux. After you have that you can have access to everything.
Now I am just trying to get my printer to work but I forgot my root password for CUPS.