/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: sony.jpg (1200x900, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/search.php3
ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi/222962833854
banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-2S-5_99-inch-6GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-845-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1276644.html
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_light_luxury-9202.php
sammobile.com/2018/05/21/galaxy-s-light-luxury-a-k-a-galaxy-s8-lite-officially-launched-in-china/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is the xperia xa2 worth considering?

a friend of mine haggled with his carrier to get a Google Pixel 2 XL for free (not paid as part of his monthly bill). Shouldn't I do that instead of getting a chinkphone from here?

If you can yes

when will sony come back? They had such cool comfy design 5 years ago. What happened?

Beats me

My Galaxy S5 is approaching 4 years.

What is a decent upgrade?

Canada.

Attached: 1523915903025.gif (320x269, 826K)

wait for this summer
please understand

He has been a loyal customer which is the issue, while this would be my first phone ever. so not much haggling I can do afaik. In Canada btw

ChinkOnePlus

Daily reminder that Android is deprecated and if you are using it in 2012+6 you're legally classified as a retard

Attached: IMG_20180519_000249.jpg (960x1280, 84K)

And what phone did you use to take this picture?

Microsoft should just make mobile PCs same OS and everything

They won't come back as long as they're listening to a small group of fag reviewers who want rounded everything.

God I wish Windows Phone wasn't committed to the dust bin of technological history. Such a comfy OS.

Lumia 930
Yeah but their management is equally as retard as android users

Attached: IMG_20180520_235026.jpg (3163x2088, 447K)

windows on ARM is a mess. I have a Windows RT tablewt and I only use it for fapping

>HWHUAT IN VIRTUALIZATION

Attached: image.png (1200x738, 321K)

true but people work with PCs already so if their phone was exactly the same I think it could work

W10Pro on arm is comfy, their x86 emulation layer is super transparent if you're not using native apps, RT is excellent as well if you can compile your own stuff as well
Native, m8

Attached: IMG_20180514_110106.jpg (1280x518, 55K)

I am stuck with the RT gen 1, but I have this mental disability where I just can't get rid of old electronics. diagnose me, Jow Forums

>God I wish Windows Phone wasn't committed to the dust bin of technological history. Such a comfy OS.
You and me both, brother

is the difference of sd835 vs sd845 a game changer? Wanted a phone that will last up to 3 years+

Doubt I'll get a first hand answer, but has anyone used Caterpillar branded phones?
Considering getting a Cat S60 near the end of the year once this phone's contract is finished. I want something reasonably hardy and the FLIR camera would come greatly in handy. I'd consider the upcoming S61, but its physically bigger than I want.
Either that or see if the Xperia XZ2 Compact has a local release by then.

Unless someone like xiaomi bought them right out it might as well be dead

Unironically, chinkphones happened

>get chink phone
>moon runes everywhere, even after changing the language
>all laggy
>heats a lot when watching youtube videos, fucking youtube videos

This is the last time I fell for the chinkphones meme, thanks Jow Forums

>doesn't even say what phone
Weak FUD

Should I buy a Lumia 950? Is windows phone a lost cause?

Currently using a Droid Turbo 2, and looking for an upgrade, but not sure the G6 will be an actual upgrade from what I have now. What should I get?

Z2 Force

>Should I buy a Lumia 950?
No
>Is windows phone a lost cause?
Yes

Just got given a cheap ZTE phone. I already have a main phone so I don't really need this one. What's some cool shit I could do with it?

Smash it because ZTE is a shitty company that sends your data to Iranian and North Korean regimes

>implying I'll be putting any personal data on this thing

Any usage at all would have been helping authoritarian regimes study usage patterns of western citizens that would then be used to undermine the national security of countries in the west.

Anyone planning on getting the Oneplus6. I'm on the fence whether or not I should get it. Also i've been looking at the xz1 for a while but I want something knew to upgrade to form my Note 3

Attached: 1512456045475.png (576x699, 194K)

Poor user..

Attached: IMG_20180512_101610.jpg (960x1280, 109K)

Don't forget those who never actually own an Xperia phone complaining about the Omnibalance design

>Before XZ2: How dare they keep similar design language after all those years and not keep up with the times? (Don't forget MUH BEZELS)
>After XZ2: How dare they change the design so dramatically? Now they are just the same slab as everyone else REEEEEE!!!!!!

If my Z3 Compact ever croaks I'll either get the XZ1 Compact or just get a Moto G5 Plus at this rate

An 18:9 5.2" Sony xperia xa2 with a side mounted finger print sensor would make Sony a zillion dollars. Sony is retarded though.

redpill me on moto z's. how much of a meme are the add ons

Attached: 0012496_moto-z-original-by-motorola-malaysia.jpg (1400x1050, 184K)

the only that data would be used for is getting a slice of them western money and carving out a niche in our declining but still rich markets. You could make the argument that our figurative "national security" is tied to our "economic security" and by buying chink phones and tech you're accelerating the decline of the western markets. But there's virtually no phones that are made in the west and if they are they're supply chained from parts made in the east anyways so there's no road you can take here that does not benefit them (apart from not participating and we both know how much shit that'll get you)

What is this heresy?

people who care about bezelless designs are so autistic. even worse if they like a phone that copies apple's bad design

So I'm thinking of getting the XZ1 compact, but I'm sort of offset by going from my LG g4, which is 5.2 inches, to 4.6 inches. Anybody wanna offer their experience? Mainly just text and look at photos, once in a while a video, and sometimes I do like some phone games.

Attached: 4AFEFBEC66E9491796CEDDB344EC6EAB.png (500x410, 54K)

I kinda feel the same in that Sony actually listens to these retards who don't have any vested interest.
Having said that, I'm not a particularly big fan of the design language that was first used on the XZ (coincidently what I'm posting from), and feel as though the XZ2 will be a more comfortable phone to hold than this thing. I loved my original Xperia Z (C6601 from memory?) and felt as though the design kept improving up to the Z5. Knowing what I know now I should've gone with the X Performance instead of waiting for the XZ I currently have. It's excellent the XZ screen doesn't seem to be anywhere near as fragile as early Zeds though.

may I ask your budget and country? outside US and best value for money is the xiaomi mi note 3. You probably could find better by searching stock clearance sale and demo unit (the phone used for display). Or you can find cheaper used phone.

If money is not the problem or you have high budget, go for the flagship that known for good updates or have/may have treble support. Pixel2 comes to mind as well as nokia 8.

I'm such a horrible person. Please don't listen to me, I asked your country when you already mentioned it.

Im thinking about the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s, but then I heard about the OnePlus 6. The main thing that interests me is the phone actually being avaliable in my country (Burgerland), and resellers of the 2s are making it about $150+ more expensive than MSRP. But I see OLED and the notch as a slight downside. Sure, the notch can be turned off, but the potential of burn-in and the eventual degradation of OLED kind of bothers me. Is it worth buying one over the other, or should i just stick with my broken ass phone and wait until MicroLED?

If you're that bothered about burn-in. Get some IPS LCD display in a mean time, there's some that can show great contrast and deep black. Nokia 8 is a good example. Weaker camera than both though.

Im not bothered, i just want an opinion of someone who is knowledgeable or has experience with AMOLED

I used a Nexus One with OLED for years and never had a problem. Definitely prefer IPS I think these days, since I like the visibility in the sun and I think a good IPS is just an overall better performer than any AMOLED screen.

LG G4 used IPS, and it looked fantastic to my eyes. One of my favorite phones.

It depends on your luck and usage anyway. Also both of them are OLED, why the fuck comparing worth both of them by screen wise?

Does anybody here actually own a P20 Pro? The only thing holding me back at this point is scrolling lag and other performance shortcomings people are whining about on XDA. Are they just being turbo-autists or is the Kirin 970 actually shit? Mate 10/Honor 10 people also chime in please.

Kirin SoC prone to throttling compared to SD ones. Hence you'd heard the shortcoming it cames from.

Sony XA2 or Nokia 6.1? or wait if theres a version of the Nokia X6 that will work in Canada?

Leaning to the XA2 and the 6.1 isn't out yet in Canada so i'd have to import.

Open to suggestions of similar phones that are newish and the same price/size range.

>Sony ruined their phone line completely and now have nothing interesting about them
>Pixel 2 XL costs 1200€
>Iphone X costs 1200€
>Oneplus 6 has a garbage camera
>Galaxy S9 has touchwizz

I trusted Oneplus to not fuck this up. Why is the camera always the thing everyone except Samsung/Google/Apple messes up. Even Sony has a shit camera despite their sensors being used in lots of great phones.
Currently have a Z5 and would want a new phone with a better display/camera. A non-overheating cpu would be nice too.

I have one, battery life is great, regularly get 8 to 9 hrs sot on moderate usage. Not too many custom ROMs atm and Sony kind of made it a bitch to root but all in all if you want a great midrange device with a headcrone jack and decent battery life I'd go for it. The one complaint I have is as a handlet a 5.2" screen kind of sucks for one handed use.

I dropped my MI A1 and smashed the screen. Is there another chinkshit phone around that price or a bit more worth considering, or should I just get another one?

I own a nexus 6p with lineage os but want new phone cos mine dies at 80%
Thinking about xiaomi mi7

>5.2" screen kind of sucks for one handed use
One of the reasons I think I'd only go for a "compact" these days. Even then, they're mostly 5" screens which I feel should be standard for a regular flagship.

The Redmi Note 5 line. Also:
gsmarena.com/search.php3

Well if you're just wanna turn off the notch, wouldn't you not mind burn in that area? It won't affect media consumption or the rest of the screen.

Sony phones are fucking beautiful.

Get another one. Or get Mi A2 (Mi 6X) if you have the budget for it. Don't listen to the other user, Redmi phones have shit build quality compared to Mi ones.

Anyone excited about upcoming Xiaomi flagship?

No need to upgrade, just update. Android AOSP extended if you can get it, else lineage. Might breath some life into that old gem

own a Z Play, projector mod is a fun gimmick, but expensive

When will the notch meme end?

When the ifag XI comes out with a pop up camera never before seen on a phone. They'll also fuse the volume rocker into the power button.

>pop up camera
>never before seen on a phone
I see what you did there

New op5t selling for around $350 from where I live. Anything I should know before I jump the gun? Is the amoled screen burn a real big issue or is it just a meme?

It's a meme.
t. Galaxy S5 user

It's mostly a meme unless your screen is completely white/bright on 100% brightness for 24-7 for several days, and if you keep doing that for months, sure, you could get burn in. But if you use your phone like a normal person, you won't get any burn in.

t. samsung note 4 user for the past 3 years with no burn-in

>2year old phone
>battery holds 2 days of moderate usage
>web browsing and phoneposting works smooth
>HAS sd card/3.5 jacl
Is this the pinnacle of smartphone evolution? Aside from bad camera/weak max brightness it's pretty hard to justify any upgrade

doesn't have notch

Thanks, lads. My current phone has a LCD display and I'm usually on 20-25% brightness. I only bump it up when checking the time outside, other than that I switch back to 25% below.

Any XZ1 compact users here? Do you miss a larger screen? I'm afraid I might... But at 350€ is it a good deal?

Is the p20 non-lite, non-pro version any good?

It should be illegal to sell smart phones without 100% free and open source firmware.

Enough is enough lads
Where the FUCK is the iPhone SE 2?

>iPhone
This is a smartphone thread

We already know the Samsung Galaxy S8 Lite is coming. In fact, high-quality renders for the device (in two different colors) leaked earlier this month. And now, it has come to light the device is being unveiled today.

What's different, however, is the moniker - the handset will arrive as Galaxy S Light Luxury. The information comes courtesy of press invites Samsung has sent out for the launch event.

I am seriously considering the opo 6. Just wait if you plan on buying it though. They always have first run production problems.

>Mi 8 has notch and chin
Why?

>resellers of the 2s are making it about $150+ more expensive than MSRP
ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi/222962833854
$555, MSRP is somewhere around $500-510 for this model. I got mine from this seller during eBay sale and it works fine on T-Mobile.

banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-2S-5_99-inch-6GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-845-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1276644.html
$519

Attached: 8d1cbc33ly1friz7otyozj22c0340x6p.jpg (3024x4032, 2.03M)

Because Mi (number) follows common designs. If you want a good looking and original Xiaomi phone look no further than the MIX series. They should've used the MIX design for new Mi devices.
By the time Mi 8 gets released notch will be abandoned.

I heard they will skip mi7 and jump straight to 8

They won't

WHERE IS APEX VIVO I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Attached: file.png (225x225, 58K)

Source? If it has the edge gimmick just as the parent model, battery capacity of less than 3000 mAh and not a relatively competitive pricing it wouldn't gain much traction.

I upgraded from my Nexus 5 a few months ago and it's been collecting dust aside from being used for Android dev stuff, what can I do with it? I was thinking of making a new Google account and install Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, all those stuff for fun.

Any suggestions?

Attached: Qfy0kRIP_400x400.jpg (399x399, 7K)

So disappointed with Sony's new designs. They were one of the only manufacturers to not fall for the bezelless rounded corner meme, and they've thrown that all away now. How anyone thinks pic related is bad is beyond me

Attached: xperia-XZ1-Blue-product-shot-2000x2000-b08e3a68662b814a3ba8f0a7812af0ba.png (2000x2000, 1.59M)

>All that unused space
>Nfc logo on the back
Lol what?

that screen is small man

Black pixels means theyre always off on an OLED, unless there are the little indicators always on like time and battery

lol fuck off you autistic notched faggots

>buttons aren't outside of the screen
>no hardware home button
If it had those it would be great.

>Samsung Galaxy S Light Luxury
Are you getting it?

depends on the price
saving up for a second hand s8 which is around 350 quid so if a brand new s8 light is less than that then i'll get it

gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_light_luxury-9202.php
>3000 mAh battery
>edge gimmick
>IP68 certified
>Snapdragon 660
>64 GB internal, 4 GB RAM
>About 540 EUR
The Galaxy S Light Luxury is going to cost ¥3999 which is equal to $625 at the prevailing exchange rate. Customers who buy one during the pre-order period which runs from today through June 1 will be able to get it for ¥3699 or $578 instead.
sammobile.com/2018/05/21/galaxy-s-light-luxury-a-k-a-galaxy-s8-lite-officially-launched-in-china/
But hey, at least it has a micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack. Skip this.

So, Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus or MI A1?