Gtk3 +

What are g's thoughts on Gtk?

Attached: gtk.png (2000x2157, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.qt.io/qt-5/commerciallicense.html
enki-editor.org/2014/08/23/Pyqt_mem_mgmt.html
github.com/GNOME/gimp/tree/gtk3-port
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know what Gtk is or does, sorry.

Gimp 2.10 is shit and moving to single window is surrendering to casual redditors.

Xcfe is nice.

Attached: 2018-04-19 22_33_37-file picker meme - Google Search.png (1004x765, 151K)

So using something like qt is probably a better choice for application development?

Attached: gtk_developer-fullpage.png (917x1905, 244K)

Gimp toolkit plus 2 was great.
Gtk+3 is being killed by gnome faggots.
Just use qt.

Not a big fan of either 2 or 3, use QT.

real talk, is qt optimal with combination of C or C++ or is suggested to use python or something like that?

If I use QT will I be able to sell this software on a commercial basis?

You need to go back.

Pyqt is just some bindings for the c++ qt. You'll want to use c++ if you want performance. You can't use C with it.

Go back where, friend?

To the FreeBSD forums.

writing mail to outreachy, i want those free mozilla money and finally i can wear programming socks around normies

Yes, but...
doc.qt.io/qt-5/commerciallicense.html

Am I not covered by lgpl?

I don't know, are you?

I am not editing qt so I am I fine with the lgpl aren't I? I just dont want to share any source code.

The commercial licensing is for static linking in proprietary applications and other things forbidden by the LGPL. If you can abide by the LGPL you don't have to do anything.

>decades to implement filepicker thumbnails
Dogshit, OP.

It's no Electron

Qt is a large framework with more than only GUI (bluetooth, gps, networking, etc) while using less memory than gtk if you only use GUI component.
The downside is that Qt requires it's own build system (easiest is to use qt creator or meson) to make Qt applications. There are unofficial projects that allow you to not use qt's own build system.

In my opinion if you are fine with qt creator or meson, then you should use Qt, or if you are not using c++ then Qt is fine, for example it's easy to use it from python.

Doomed, as anything touched by the foot guys.

You should be careful with Python, though.
enki-editor.org/2014/08/23/Pyqt_mem_mgmt.html

THUMBNAIL
HUMBNAIL
UMBNAIL
MBNAIL
BNAIL
NAIL
AIL
IL
L

>gtk
deprecated garbage

This may be true,but so far, there hasn't been an implementation of QT that has been anything to write home about, either. KDE Plasma is great in theory, but fucking horrid in practice. It's like a bunch of autists with attention deficits got together and tried to make a DE. You need a fucking map to change a fucking setting in this piece of shit, everything is spread all over the place.No hidpi, absolutely shit display manager,no taskbar on multi monitors, the list goes on and on. I'm using it right now, and I really have to say I'm disappointed. KDE has far many more drawbacks than shitty Gnome does.

Is their a qt alternative that does not require licensing?

X

does it support both windows and linux?

Op here and I have decided to go with electron , its far easier than everything else and I dont have to worry about licensing.

I unironically want Bjarne Stroustrup to go full mental and make a GUI toolkit part of the next C++ standard
Anything to save us from the mess that is gtk and qt
If Java has Swing why C++ can't have something similar??
C++ is already unbelievably bloated so it wouldn't make a difference
Anything is better than fucking gtk and qt

>recursive type to search
nice for a user

gnome has performance issues which won't be fixed knowing it's history
their last version bump pissed me so much for changing the settings centre to that nu list
this is what they do -- uncalled for UI changes to justify version bump
meanwhile massive bugs remain unfixed for years until eventually the thing is just removed

>GIMP can not use gtk3
>gtk stands for GIMP ToolKit
I think it's a pile of shit but I guess I'm the minority since it's in widespread use.

Attached: 1520443874371.jpg (1280x1024, 294K)

>but fucking horrid in practice
that is on the bistrobutors.

github.com/GNOME/gimp/tree/gtk3-port

as much as it sucks not having a decent unified gui framework i can't really blame anyone too badly

they have to work with X and portability for such a thing has got to be a true hellscape

Go back to /v/

KDE does support hidpi

>Qt requires it's own build system
No, it doesn't. You can use CMake, even for building Android apps.

finally dying its well deserved death

C++ is the standard language for Qt.
The official Python bindings are great.
There is also QML with QtQuick, that allows you develop with Javascript or C++.

a fucking cube
another fucking cube
i am sick of these fucking cubes filling my folders

Attached: cube.jpg (265x255, 5K)

Gtk3 is shit.

Absolutely shit docs, the only people that can use it are the Gnome team.

On the other hand you have books, official certs and a shittone of tutorials for Qt.

The answer is pretty much clear.

I want Gtk and Guh-nome to fucking die.

it's nice t bh

Can I use this to make GUI in java?

Ugly. I'll write all of my GUI applications in Gtk2 until I die.

>haha my ebin dyslexia made me think it's GBs instead of gigs LOL
god I fucking hate reddit

I has been writing app on my work using gtk and C for like a half of year, because my mentor was old and conservative.
When he quit the job, i remade the app with qt and c++ in one week, still works lol.
That gui pseduo oop functions on gtk and c - gtk_label_do_something() - is truly horrible.

Gtk also has a C++ interface, it's called GtkMM.

Glib garbage, which I refuse to use in any of my own software.