Explain this please

In the hardcore Linux communities, I see many hatred towards Ubuntu and Manjaro... Explain it, please?
As a Linux veteran (I have even used Gentoo and Arch), I find the hatred as pointless... If Unity or GNOME bothers you, just switch to another DE/WM or disable those functions you hate... However, I see Manjaro and Ubuntu (as long as those options are disabled) as a good way for newbies to try Linux... And you should appreciate it, since Linux fans want people to switch to their Linux

Attached: i3-170_2.png (1396x798, 101K)

>linux
>ubuntu
Pick one

Linux is a kernel, Ubuntu is the icing on top of the cake

Ubuntu is botnet. I've never heard of Manjaro, so it's probably some minor downstream distro.

Manjaro is based on Arch. Actually, it has quite a recognition...

>As a Linux veteran (I have even used Gentoo and Arch

this is not a qualification.

Just use Linux from scratch

>Graphical file browser AND ranger
god damn I hate this meme.

When did experience didn't qualify as a qualification?

Blame Manjaro site, not me...

experience does but "i followed a set of instructions" does not.

>dat resolution
What are you running that on?

In general, nobody worth listening to makes a big deal out of what distro you use. Possible exception being security/privacy/freedom concerns.

Common elitism.
Manjaro is basically Arch for noobs while Ubuntu is a general Linux for noobs, so "hardcores" hate them.

Attached: linux.jpg (1920x1200, 313K)

>when people ask if my ubuntu with i3wm is void, gentoo or some other obscure shitdistro for autistic ricers.

Attached: kctiere .jpg (540x960, 48K)

Maybe it's because it DOES look obscure with obscure WM in place of civilized DE?

and?

It's from Manjaro site, guys...

And that's exactly why they think it's 'obscure shitdistro for autistic ricers'.
How else do you expect them to tell what are you using?

Stock i3wm is not ricing. It's just funny because it shows how clueless people are, confusing DEs and distros

I had to laugh when I saw a thread on Jow Forums with some fucking retard switching distros because he didn't like the DE they used.

Linux is a kernel.

good lad

I already mentioned it in , user...

Not ricing but surely obscure. People don't think you'd install this sort of... uncommon environment in Ubuntu.
BTW did you use Ubuntu Server as a base or some other Ubuntu distro?

As a matter of fact it's usually better reinstall whole system when you're changing your DE permanently, otherwise you're going to inherit a lot of unnecessary packages.

Just went with stock 16.04 because it just doesn't matter to me at all as long as I get muh emacs and i3.
I'm really perplexed as to why people on Jow Forums cares about stuff like systemd and similar.

ubuntu mint fedora and all that jazz is good to initiate the noobs into linux, but when you gain enough knowledge, you RUN TO ARCH AND THEN TO SLACKWARE AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Most of people on Jow Forums are probably driven by sheer autism and memes it that matter, but concern about systemd is somehow legit, because OS becomes more and more dependent on it, while Linux distro by definition should be build from interchangeable modules. It's a dangerous trend.

I use Arch, but when I build my PC, I plan to dual boot with Ubuntu...

as in arch and ubuntu. how come?

>I'm really perplexed as to why people on Jow Forums cares about stuff like systemd and similar.
If you init has an embedded Spyware botnet, your whole system becomes compromised and unsecure.

I don't know what's worse anymore, systemd lovers or windows users

Manjaro
>overwhelmed with setting their website's time for 2 years
>hurr durr just change system time it's so ez
>take arch, put shitty defaults on it and further delay updates
>retarded logo someone made with ffmpeg
>named after African mountain
Just use it if you can't into copy pasting commands from the Arch wiki 10 times

I distro hopped for almost 6 months, testing different flavours of Ubuntu/Debian (ubuntu, xubuntu, debian, mint, etc.), until I installed Manjaro KDE like two years ago and I never looked back.

I have other distros I'd like to play with but at the moment Manjaro stays in my actual production machine.

I think the ease of use of manjaro combined with the arch wiki and repo made it for me the best choice to actually start learning linux while also being efficient for everyday usage.

Probably Antergos or just Arch at this point is a good option too, but the fact that Manjaro automatically installs all my nvidia optimus shit without problems and everything else was a huge plus.

I’ve been using Linux since 1995, am a senior systems engineer at a big tech company. I’ve installed gentoo more than anyone you’ll ever meet, literally over 100 times by hand. At one point I didn’t need the handbook at all when you still did this shit by hand. Anyway enough epeen flexing, i use Ubuntu or Mint on my personal computers. I don’t have time to dick around, Ubuntu just fucking works. My servers are a mix of CentOS and Ubuntu, but I do prefer CentOS mainly because that’s what I’ve used at several companies now.

>never heard of Manjaro
your first day on Jow Forums?

How is systemd a botnet? How does it spy me? Where does it send my data? Even Stallman probably uses systemd as it's Trisquel's default init. Besides, any computer using an Intel Core or an AMD processor made after 2012 is already irreparably compromised.

Attached: 1490573306077.png (657x527, 44K)

Ubuntu is shit and breaks randomly for no reason. Manjaro is shit and is a retarded cousin of Arch with retarded devs and an update cycle that ironically makes it less stable.
OpenSUSE and Solus are the best newbie distros.

>any computer using an Intel Core made after 2012 is already irreparably compromised.
>Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities
Oy Vey. Delid dis.

Attached: images(19).jpg (514x597, 36K)

>. I've never heard of Manjaro
Manjaro is literally the most popular distro right now (according to distro watch)

Really? Heh. Mint finally dethroned. I can't believe it.

It's not just newbs that like pre built shit. People get sick of putting shit together and writing configuration files.

It's because people are hypocritical and supported Manjaro until it became the most popular. No one cared about an easy way to configure Linux until too many people found out about it.

No, I meant AMD processors made from around 2012 to today and all Intel Core processors. It's not only because of Meltdown and Spectre, but also because they have the Intel Management Engine (or the AMD equivalent)

>newfag

Is the ereader yours? How do you like it?

The easier something is to use the more autists hate it