What linux distro I should install on VM, besides gentoo, arch, slackware? for long terms use and low memory usage?

What linux distro I should install on VM, besides gentoo, arch, slackware? for long terms use and low memory usage?

picture not relate

Attached: 94cc457b4cfa1c4dd13a04307d0c424b.jpg (1920x1200, 55K)

>VM
>long term use

This. Why are you retarded, OP?

I would love to use both linux and windows at the same time. When I got bored, I can switch fast without reboot my machine, instead install linux only on my machine.. poor fag here..

What's the point if you're not a developer? You can achieve the same thing with a Live USB except have much better performance. Rebooting is worth it.

I like to mess-up with it, testing things I read on the internet or books. Live USB isn't giving a freedom.. my laptop usually reboot more than a week. once over a month.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1526909525103.jpg (480x411, 65K)

Okay. Install Debian or Fedora with Xfce.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

not OP but it gets very laggy when i try to run any graphical environment(e.g. openbox) in a VM, not to mention a full DE
so finally i gave up and just use the tty

did you install VMware tools or vbox extensions? how the fuck is it laggy

Don't run virtual machines on poorfag hardware. You need 8GB RAM and a non-laptop CPU to run virtual machines.

(You)

Attached: image.jpg (211x239, 21K)

Are you retarded?

>are you retarded
>you absolutely cannot run virtual machines on hardware less than 8gb of RAM and a laptop CPU is out of the question

Attached: image.jpg (213x237, 29K)

I'd use this as my new bg if it wasn't so depressing

Read the entire conversation again, idiot. He was having lag issues. Kill yourself.

Alpine Linux

What're you using it for?

>it’s lagging
>yeah because you need 8gb of RAM and a non laptop CPU

That’s wrong. Here’s your (You), faggot.

>be me in 2005/2006
>freshman in college and needed to use Word but didn't like wine so I ran an XP VM on my Pentium M with 512 MB RAM

Debian without gui. Hafe 14 of them running in a vm. Each dedicated to a service in my home.

This, with Proxmox I have multiple separated containers that share storage for different purposes in my home, one of them being movies and TV, I like to compartmentalize my services so I can make regular backups and remove one without leaving behind junk from the program/limit RAM and CPU usage etc. Most of them are Debian and one or two are Ubuntu (because the intended program likes only Ubuntu for some reason).

Just werks.

Install Android or MacOs

install gentoo on ur android?

Attached: gentoo on razr hd.png (720x1280, 132K)

>dude just get a better computer lol totally not user error

:^)

Void Linux MUSL

Yes? Exactly? Why else would it lag if he isn't a retard?

gpu passthrough exists

Because he either

A) installed a distro with a heavy DE, such as unity, which runs like shit in any VM

B) didn’t allocate enough resources, eg only gave 512 MB of ram to a heavy OS

C) didn’t install extensions/VMware tools

Fucking retard. Throwing more RAM/CPU at it doesn’t solve the problem. I run Linux VMs just fine on my T420 with only 4GB of RAM and i5-2540M.

Just because something lags doesn’t mean it’s automatically your hardware. You don’t need 8GB of RAM to run VMs and laptop CPUs work just fine, no idea where you got information from that says laptop CPUs are bad for virtualization. They’re slower yes, but by no means incapable of running a couple VMs (especially Linux systems) without much trouble.

>installed a distro with a heavy DE
He said it lags on openbox and light DEs
>didn’t allocate enough resources
I would assume anyone competent enough to install and use openbox would know how to fucking configure a VM especially when he's immediately asked to give it at least 500MB RAM. The next thing to try is simply increasing RAM, not installing a new OS. Since he hasn't given it more RAM it means he lacks RAM to give. Therefore his hardware is shit, therefore that's why it lags.
>didn’t install extensions/VMware tools
So you're just guessing what the problem is. Congratulations, you're just as retarded as I am.

Your reading comprehension is shit. End yourself.

>You don’t need 8GB of RAM to run VMs and laptop CPUs work just fine
Where did I say you actually need it? You need it to have decent performance, which is what the first user complained about. Which is why I said he needs it, to run better. Not to actually run at all.

>where did I say you actually need it

Attached: image.jpg (1242x180, 89K)

alpine linux or openbsd

pic rel

Attached: distro.png (700x3000, 266K)

We have hosted our servers for one of the biggest health insurance company in my country on VMs for at least 12 years.

how in the fuck is Firefox minimal?

long term low memory?
How about Lubuntu 18.04 LTS or Xubuntu 18.04 LTS

How the fuck is todays websites minimal?

Also don't forget about god tier ublock

>I have literally been living under a rock for the past 10 years

Read everything again. Do you even understand English?

I’m just reading your words, user. No need to get upset

Okay dummy

Lubuntu

Why no Void?

bump

This.