/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM, Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming WITH/WITHOUT a graphics card (Low end)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale & closer to 2200G price
>R5 2600X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPU (Mid range)
>i7-8700k - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>TR 1950X/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)
Overclocking
>Use Precision Boost2 offsets to overclock Ryzen2000X series!

RAM
>8GB - enough for glorified gaming use
>16GB - for heavy PC use
>32GB+ - if you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200 MHz is ideal

Graphics cards
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220+
>There have been good sales on AMD graphic cards lately in the US. Look for them
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) fps in newer games & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, or Vega56/64; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
>Titan V OC

Storage
>Optane is good with StoreMi on Ryzen; not good on Intel
>240GB minimum for a storage drive
>2TB HDD are barely more $ than 1TB
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>Consider getting a larger SSD, instead of small SSD & large HDD; add HDD later when needed

General
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: 3870x2.jpg (4032x3024, 2.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor
tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html
pcpartpicker.com/product/7Ks8TW/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gd
logicalincrements.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438093
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9k4sZ
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gonna spend the shekels on this one next week. Will I regret it?
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

2800x when

next gen graphics when?

I humbly ask the trapposter to not pollute this thread.

hai :3

Attached: traps.jpg (4100x2213, 2.68M)

waiting for my psu to arrive like a goodboy

this is my 3rd build. also probably the hardest because i'm only 90% sure the BIOS is updated for the 2400g, 50% sure I can actually get 3200MHz of RAM usable, and 10% sure I can't masturbate to fill the time because i have an infection on my penis

Attached: IMG_0300.jpg (640x480, 84K)

>i have an infection on my penis
elaborate

i depleted my electrolytes on friday and thought i was gonna die. when i woke up my foreskin was swollen and my thyroid (or something) was in heavy pain

go to doctor. show her my pee pee. first she says hernia, then guesses herpes because foreskin swelling, but i didnt break out so its probably just an infection

>i depleted my electrolytes on friday and thought i was gonna die.
how did that even happen?

Nice, the build not the infection. I have that motherboard and it's great, no complaints about it

i didnt put salt on my eggs for two days while doing keto, and what I thought was 'keto flu' is actually a myth from internet retards. apparently its common to deplete electrolytes on keto. needless to say im back to a regular diet

When Intel 8core release date is announced.

you got memed hard by Jow Forums. glad that it is nothing serious though.

>going to a woman doctor for dick problems

>letting a dude see and touch your dick
are you gay?

i dont see how that's related
how the fuck is a woman gonna know anything about your dick?
you said yourself that she didn't know what was up and that you think its just a infection

>keto
retarded, read some real nutrition studies and read about the interpretations of those studies. Keto isn't good for anything.

Old Fag here,
Is the Falcon Guide still a thing?

Attached: Falconguide-dec2012.png (1000x3647, 3.75M)

Under appreciated.

Pretty sure that i saw a similar website not a long time ago. Did not save it though.

kinda obseleted by pcpartpicker because you can actively compare many parts simultaneously for your budget, and the falcon guide couldn't account for sales like pcpartpicker can.

there is 'logical increments' still irrc, but i just don't bother anymore

N E V E R
How is that humble

Attached: illust_68187991_20180518_153348.jpg (1000x1280, 734K)

No

tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-turing-faq,37067.html

possibly july

Who else #waitfornavi #waitforzen2 here?

Turning an old Sandy Bridge system into a home media server/NAS. Planning to use a ~7 year old 500W fanless PSU (branded Silentmaxx, OEM should be FSP) because it comes dirt cheap with the case I'm buying.

What are the risks of running a ~7 year old PSU 24/7 on low load? Any chance of a PSU failure doing damage to the hard drives?

Already bought Ryzen 1000 series, but waiting for zen2 also.
And I'm waiting either for Navi, or Vega64 price cuts, since my 7970 still holds up and there isn't really a compelling upgrade.
Ideally I'd just get 7nm Vega if it's affordable enough. I hear that'll have 1/2 rate fp64 and be quite a flexible monster. But it looks to be enterprise only.

Sad I missed the $100 RX470s in retrospect, though. I was helping others buy them, but never got one myself because I was waiting for Vega then miners happened.

Depends on the PSU.
Better quality ones fail rather gracefully.
Low quality ones can just explode and take out your whole computer with them.

Also, on a 7 year old PSU, usually it'll have lost about 10-20% of its output so its max rated load isn't max load anymore. Though lots of high quality PSUS are absurdly overrated. Seasonic platinums are like 50% overrated, in some cases.

why would you ever want to buy a vega is beyond me no matter the price

Vega 56 at MSRP was a pretty good deal. If you swap the cooler it can clock as high as a Vega 64 liquid cooled.

Or you could just get a 1070 TI which runs a lot cooler out of the box and doesn't draw kilowatts of power.

Alright bros, Just got paid and wanted to get my 1050Ti after it went down to $200 last week.

Checked today and all of the SC versions sold out and now 3rd party sellers are charging $240 for them

Now the normal version of the 1050Ti is still $201.
Is the performance increase that minimal on the SC version or should wait for the price to go down again

It's a 500W fanless PSU from an era when that was rare and probably even more expensive than today so I assume it must be a high quality product.
Not putting any irreplaceable data on the NAS, so I'm going to risk it.

You really should wait for next gen if money is tight. current midrange cards are going to be made obsolete very quickly.

I thought next gen was in like the fall or something.

Go for it, this one is pretty good under $200
pcpartpicker.com/product/7Ks8TW/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gd

Nvidia hinted at Q3, which is July-September. That's not too long to wait.

I need help deciding what tier of CPU I should get. Like the price/performance bracket that I fit into.
>I'd like to be able to stream and record 1080p or 720p so my friends can watch stuff
>I often play games while watching videos and it would be nice if I could play 1080p games while watching videos.
>Something that pairs well with 1070 or equivalent, 1TB SSD, 16GB 3200 RAM
>I do not do any 3D Art or large excel spreadsheets etc
>I don't have a job that relies on rendering videos or anything like that
>I'm decently invested into Windows 10 as an operating system.

Lets say my budget is $1700 USD. It's a flexible budget but I mainly just want efficient parts as I'm not a professional user, however my activities are more varied and enthusiast than the average gaymer that just wants as much FPS as possible. I mainly just want a really snappy system that doesn't enter the price bracket of heavy workload workstation PC's that need to run 12 threads at super high speeds to render 4k video or whatever.

Ryzen 2600x/2700x

Game and stream really means you should get a Ryzen 2700x but if you don't do much of that you might want to find a doog deal on a 2700 which uses a lot less power for a bit less speed.

I have fucking everything set up and got damn ai the 1060 amazing. All i have left to need is a chair, can someone recommend me a good/cheap chair. Currently using this wodden ikea piece of shit that feels like it's gonna break and wobbles even though i'm a manlet that weights 115lbs. I just need something comfy that wont kill my back and ass.
>Tfw hemorrhoid
This takes butt blasted to a whole new level.

so a 1050 3gb version was announced this weekend, anyone know the release date and price?

>he has a hemmeroid

don't get a chair get one of those special chairs that make you sit on your knees, that helped out my hems significantly and now I dont have it anymore

I use a standing desk now, sitting is bad for your butt

2700X sounds right up your alley. That or a 2600X if you want to save some money, but for your budget a 2700X would be fine.

Like i give a fuck, i'm a lazy as fuck and will chose to leak blood for an orphus if that means the alternative is fucking up my back more or standing for 8 hours straight. I just need a good recliner. As for the hemmeroid iv'e been getting one every few weeks for 5 years so it's white noise at this point unless i actually anally rupture myself with 2 ply dollar store toilet paper. Genetics are a cruel bitch.

How come this thread never mentions second-hand parts, this thread is just a glorified consumerism thread, not what you could build the best PC for, at the best price.

Attached: gee.jpg (307x405, 22K)

How come the 580 is considered a 1080p card, I thought the extra RAM is what made it more suitable for 1440p

Nobody is saying you can't buy second hand, faggot, but buying tech second hand is avoided by most for a reason you know

Why though, I have never had a bad experience buying secondhand, and the price breaks that you get can be lucrative
All I am saying is that there should also be a guide for what the best value you can get building solely from used parts, It pains me to see that people are building PC's with only brand new parts, you're paying 40% more for what usually amounts to less than a 15% increase in power (yes i pulled those numbers out of my ass)

Attached: c.png (603x702, 265K)

Uhh?
Double rate fp16.
AMD has better software than Nvidia.
Freesync.
All the performance I need (can run everything at 150% resolution scale 1920x1200 if not 200%)
Leather jackets are gay.

It is good for entry level 1440p, too, yes. Just have to play stuff on medium or high and not maxed out in some games.

Because people don't want to recommend something that ends up being a scam, and to be associated with that scam by recommending it.

We do recommend used sometimes in comments, but there's really no place for it in the OP.

Can someone pls respond this is literally my only issue with my rig i invested my heart and soul into. A good cheaper recliner is all i need to complete my life, i know you faggots use chairs so what do you prefer? I'm on amazon RIGHT now i just need some opinions.

fuck that sucks user, I had trouble doing work because of mine when I had it. too painful and I was tired of bleeding

Im not saying recommend certain parts using ebay links or whatever, but what used parts to look out for that are still hold up very well today. No one needs a threadripper to shitpost on Jow Forums

I bought this chair from some dude on craigslist, your basic executive office chair, pretty comfy i just need a bigger desk now. I would look for reviews online, videos etc. and see what you can find. There might be like a foam cushion you could use too, I think that may help somewhat.

best places to buy my graphics card? I don't want to get a defective one and then have to deal with alot of crap

Stop thinking "you need x card for y resolution". If you think like that, then you have fallen for Nvidia and AMD marketing.
Every game is different and your graphics card determines what graphics details you can enable.

Im aware of that, I just bought the 580 for my friends build specifically because of the RAM increase as he wanted to do 1440p gaming for cheap (this was like two years ago)

in laymans terms please.

Oh boy you don't know how infuriating in can be and also prep h doesn't do shit.
>finally a week without a hemmeroid
>2 days later gallons of blood spurts from my asshole like a bad 80s action flick
>welp it was fun while i lasted.

Amazon I guess
That was layman's terms

Attached: illust_61001673_20180516_120255.jpg (1840x1344, 1.6M)

I want to build a gaming pc next month but don't want to buy a GPU until nvdia drops the 1180/2080 whatever they call it.

Can I build a PC with a ryzen 2700x and ASRock X470 Taichi, and use the motherboard's HDMI outport for basic stuff like OS installation, checking if all the other components work, and browsing Jow Forums until the GPU comes in?

Attached: IMG_4612.jpg (480x480, 103K)

logicalincrements.com/

Attached: wi4GLg2[1].png (270x261, 47K)

shame he got cancer

Recommends the HAF X case in the exceptional category. I had one 8 years ago, it sucked then.
Dam good guide.

Depends on the games you play.

Old shitty games like Counter Strike and League of Legends will basically run on anything at any resolution at decent enough FPS.

Brand new AAA games with maxed out graphics won't run very well on anything but higher end current generation GPUs. Even at 1080p, and especially at 1440p. And even the highest end GPUs will struggle to run shit at 4k.

Is the EVGA G3 750W good?

Do they still use a good manufacturer?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438093

>No one needs a threadripper to shitpost on Jow Forums
I do, though...

>Can I build a PC with a ryzen 2700x and ASRock X470 Taichi, and use the motherboard's HDMI outport for basic stuff like OS installation, checking if all the other components work, and browsing Jow Forums until the GPU comes in?
No dude. Only the G CPUs have an iGPU. Motherboards don't have built in graphics on the chipset these days.

No idea. Sucks that it's legal to change the spec and manufacturer of a PSU while still calling it the same fucking thing.

what about the i5 8400 ?

My GTX780 died yesterday, rip in artifacts my friend

What mid range GPU should I get?

GTX1180Ti

Got a question for ya...
I'm running a pretty old system at this point, 2600k, and 8GB of ddr3. About a year ago I upgraded the GPU to a 1070, and got a 1440p ultrawide. It seems that the bottleneck is still the 1070 (mind you games play great at 1080p), at least in the sense that it's always maxed out, while the other hardware is not.

I know this might seem obvious, but does that imply that if hypothetically I upgraded to a system with (just for example...) a 8700k and 16+GB ram, and swapped the 1070 to it, I'd see no fps improvement?

It wouldn't be all that noticeable, you may experience less stutter but I feel stutter is a meme

AMD shills dont like it, and the R5 allegedly has better performance and lower cost (if you dont look at RAM prices, motherboard prices, and processor IPC)

>what about the i5 8400 ?
It's multithreaded is far inferior.

1300+MHz RX570 4GB, RX580 8GB, or 1060 6GB.
Looks like the RX500 series sales have passed, though, and 1060s are silly expensive as well.

I saw a 1050Ti on sale for $150 earlier today, but I think that expired as well. IIRC, the 1050Ti is fairly close to the performance of the GTX 780 in a lot of cases.

It's not that the 8400 can't outperform it in single threaded and some games.
It's that AMD's SMT is so good that it's stupid to go without it in most cases. Much smoother experience, even if max/average FPS isn't always as high. Not having hitches, having your alt-tab switch fast, etc, is much more noticeable than going from 115 to 125fps. I can't notice the difference of 115 and 125fps at all in most cases, but I notice some shitty stuttering immediately.

Not as good in multithread and barely better in gaming
You would see a slight improvement in lows maybe
They both use DDR4 and AM4 has better board features at lower prices

Attached: illust_36450972_20180515_214749.png (1091x1500, 1.54M)

Nah, I think I'd get less stuttering. I actually erased that bit because I didn't want to go off on a tangent.

My only wonder is whether or not fast ram/storage is more important, because it like 99% of stuttering is when things load for the first time, not because they need to page. I run most games off a HDD though, since my SSD is all full and junk.

Doesn't ryzen perform much better when using RAM with high memory clocks? Or do all new processors demand it.

If you want to change your computer experience the most I would definitely recommend an SSD, it doesnt even need to be expensive, just something with 500MB/s read/write, your computer will seem much faster with it (make sure its your boot drive, they usually come with drive cloning utils)

Oh I've got one, I just don't install a lot of games on it because of the whole boot drive aspect. Thinking about getting a middle of the road 1TB one just for games with the intent to transfer it to my next system as one of the storage drives. I really don't like the idea of putting too much money into this current PC at this point.

All processors benefit from faster memory, Ryzen especially because of infinity fabric. That isn't to say that you can't use 2133-2666MHz but it's only $4 more (at 16GB) to go to 3GHz so you might as well

Attached: __hacka_doll_3_hacka_doll_drawn_by_muchi_maro__6c05e1e386c8f4ee8f8b2f9a508b3906.jpg (1000x1724, 151K)

i impulsively bought 2400mhz ram because it was cheap a year ago. and i dont want to buy new ram that is 3000+ mhz now to get extra fps on a ryzen platform, not until prices come down at least (another year?). also, h310 mobo is cheaper than b350. and i hear intel is better for emulation (dolphin, cemu, rpcs3) and that low memory ram (aka 2400mhz memory i already own) does not affect performance as much as it does with ryzen.

having said that, same question: what about the 8400 now?

My computer won't post if I use the XMP profile of my 3000Mhz RAM. It runs fine at stock 2133Mhz though.

Is my RAM busted or my motherboard? I have tried changing the speed manually and even tiny increments don't post either.

Imo any intel except for maybe 8700K for max gaymen with 1080TI is a bad purchase compared to ryzen.

2400 is fine, and H310 isn't cheaper than B350 according to PCPartPicker
"Intel is better for emulation" doesn't hold true when the 8400 clocks lower than Zen+ CPUs
I don't think anything is busted, you probably have a poor SoC or your board isn't good at training the memory

Attached: __enkidu_fate_grand_order_fate_strange_fake_and_fate_series_drawn_by_shimo_s_kaminaka__ffd1f1244c5bd (1600x1200, 1.55M)

>muh consumerism
I bought two used PCs almost a year ago and I got two dead motherboards, a dead PSU and a dead GPU. If you want budget oriented "guides" check out RandomGaminginHD

7700k doesn't become bad because AMD finally DOESN'T shit the bed for once on a release

The motherboard is an mITX MSI Z370.

If a Z370 isn't enough then what is?

That's the definition of a comparison though
There are always duds and stupid designs, even in the high-end. That also still doezn't eliminate the chance that you have a bad SoC on your CPU

Attached: __dino_and_kanzaki_hideri_blend_s_drawn_by_fuyouchu__fcdba5ba921ca493e8786179b709b6a2.jpg (700x1043, 105K)

1080p 60hz monitor for gaming. Thoughts?

pcpartpicker.com/list/f9k4sZ

no that's an ultimatum, they are both more than "good" for any workload other than server (media workstation, 3d modeling blah blagh) specific extremely high core count workload shit

Have an EVGA GTX 1060.
Looking for a secondary.
>PCIE x4 lane size available in a x16 slot
>low profile
>single-slot width

Looking at
>EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR3 (1800 MHz)
>EVGA GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 (5010 MHz)

Performance isn't terribly important since I have a strong primary card. Which of these will run cooler when powering three screens under light duty? This card will be exactly sandwiched between the 1060 and my PSU.

Attached: Yuenglink.png (580x445, 615K)

don't

I recommend a 570 or 580 since that monitor supports FreeSync
Consider a 2TB drive
Streaming and general multitasking benefit from more threads and also aren't even close to being server workloads
Look at TDP maybe?

Attached: __rensouhou_chan_shimakaze_kun_and_shimakaze_kantai_collection_drawn_by_cassandra_seishun_katsu_sand (1771x1254, 662K)

I would get a MX500 250GB, a P400S Eclipse or a Enthoo Pro M, a SuperNOVA G3 750W or a 620 EVO if you want to save a bit of money, a dual fan Asus 1060 (that's going for $299), a LG 25UM58 and this cheaper kit
pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
You could save up for a X470 Aorus Ultra or if you're near a Microcenter for a bundle

>Look at TDP maybe?
Is there a particular place to find this? Not finding it on Google or EVGA's site.

>shortages / high demand
>inflation of currency
>$15 minimum wage spiking up prices on everything

God, everything is getting so expensive! I want PC hardware to get cheap again so I can afford a new computer.

t. Neet who has been making the same amount of less-than minimum wage amount of money doing freelancing programming

>still no quad-core replacement for the Athlon 5370
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE