How long would it take to become a competent self-taught software developer starting from a beginner level programming...

How long would it take to become a competent self-taught software developer starting from a beginner level programming experience?

Attached: 14862014825191.jpg (1067x1600, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theodinproject.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends on your level of autism

A few years. Depends on which field, though.

5000 hours

bout tree fiddy

Depends what material you study. If you learn from pajeet youtube videos it will take far longer than if you just went to school.

I've been coding since ~1986 and I learn new shit all the time. You'll never be good enough or know enough. Deal with it.

Sufficient levels of autism

Where are some good sources?

Step 1. Make something using google-fu
Step 2. Realize you did everything wrong
Step 3. Make something again

Well done. You now know the basics.

3 years and 2 months

>competent
The idea that anyone can do anything is poison to modern society. The huge majority of people interested in tech are not capable of become competent programmers, regardless of effort invested by themselves or others teaching them. Sadly this is not something you can determine with a palm reading or horoscope: you can only find out by doing.
If you have what it takes, you should be able to make a working program that does a useful thing in a matter of days with no prior programming experience. If the thing looks neat and becomes popular then you might make money selling it or it might get you a programming job. If you don't have what it takes, and the huge majority of people don't, then you may struggle for years or decades and continuously fail, though you might nonetheless convince someone to hire you and pay you.
Good luck!

Thanks! And yeah I've heard of people being able to make programs in a matter of months, so i doubt years are required.

>Competent
Years.

Good enough to get an entry level job/create your own basic programs/apps/sites? A few months depending on your level of dedication.

I like this site, it's useful to get started with:
theodinproject.com/

>Sadly this is not something you can determine with a palm reading or horoscope: you can only find out by doing.
It's called an IQ test bro. I work for a uni research analytics company. It's fairly well accepted now that 120IQ is the meaningful benchmark for being able to perform modern jobs like software engineering at a degree of competence regardless of whether or not you like it.

So yeah, if you're below 120 IQ as administered by a professional evaluator I wouldn't bother going into software development unless you want to be a graphic designer. Maybe the cutoff for front-end web development is marginally lower.

Best advice I can give to people below 120 is that 100-119 is the sweet spot for trades. You can be a master electrician or plumber at that level or even do lower level accounting and start your own business (IQ above 110 doesn't predict business success that well at the small business level and over 130 has a negative correlation at all business sizes, that's why most geniuses are not executives).

Above 90 is good enough for skilled labor like masonry and carpentry or detailed art. If you have an aesthetic sense, try one of those or look into your local trade union for more options. There are also support roles where you can excel like paramedic, fireman, etc.

Below 90 its a crap-shoot and you are basically going to be looking at unskilled labor or being a ward of the state. If you score below 90 just do the world a favor and don't have any kids.

This is awesome. Thanks a lot bro!

I picked up programming pretty quickly. I wouldn't say I'm like a super genius, but i have the work ethic to get it.

don't all your everything into a score

I did it in about 2 years. Had a degree in English. You gotta really hit it hard though. Puck a language, and just write the fuck outta that one thing.

>muh anecdotes
Yeah that's nice guys. I'm just telling you what modern IQ research analytics are telling us about the capacity of individuals to function in certain roles. It's not like there aren't weird outliers that cloud the data, but the correlation is extremely strong otherwise. I would strongly advise someone with a 120+ IQ to pursue whatever they want, they'll get it eventually. Anyone below that would do themselves a favor to consider where their aptitude can take them. It's not "fair," or whatever the modern dispensation thinks about this kind of pseudo-determinism, but it's reality. You ignore reality at your own peril. For the record I've know guys who were 90ish IQ with wonderful lives and families who took what skills they could master and applied them.

Same. It was more like 18 months, but I did it with zeal since I hated my teaching job. I was a Latin major in college and taught classics at a CC as adjunct for approximately minimum wage. To pass on a little insight:
>don't fuck around with heavy theory first
SCIP is a great book when you have the time but you don't need it to start with
>don't go try to make up for decades of math all at once
Take the math as you go and buy books for reference
>pick a language that's in demand and simple
Python is a great choice. Ruby is even nicer to learn on but less in-demand. Lots of other languages to mention but you wanna pick one quickly and stick to it for a year without waffling. Don't waste your time being fickle because you want to make things that prove you have been doing things other than shitting off
>algorithms and data structures etc
You need to know some of this for interviews and to get better when you are employed but don't dive in too soon, there's a lot you can hack together without being an expert in this and by just following standard practices
>clean code and commenting
Everything you post online is a record of your work so make sure you err on the side of explaining EVERYTHING you did and following best practices, learn from the best examples

its 10000 hours bucko
a 1000 each year would get you there in 10 years

just study hard

>competence
Several years or ~5K hours. For reference, if you work 40 hour weeks for a year that's just over 2K hours.

>mastery
10K hours.

>its 10000 hours bucko
10000 is for absolute mastery of a field. OP only asked for competence.

If you have to ask this question, you probably won't ever become a competent self-taught programmer. At best, you'll be a semi-competent code monkey shitting out wordpress websites for $10.50 an hour.

mastery takes a lifetime sometimes more

>you should be able to make a working program that does a useful thing in a matter of days with no prior programming experience

the mindset of the bugman