/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

I need to ensure the same job added to a queue isn't duplicated within a certain period of time.

Is it worth including partial timestamps (i.e. epoch 152691667) in my unique job id strings, so it processes only if not in the same minute?

It would still duplicate if one job was added at 12:01 and the other at 12:09 – or is there a better way of doing this?

Attached: 1526852978299.jpg (962x620, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/restoring-default-debugger-windows-7/0e1c3485-d116-48ca-a01e-84c90004a372
amazon.com/HyperX-Revolver-Surround-HX-HSCRS-GM-NA/dp/B01N9RM9N3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
twitter.com/Skengrat/status/998729711269302273
amazon.com/dp/B00FE2VQXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x7c1AbAKCXREA?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=2b4f2e945d5d11e8bd01ea7718e137e00INT
amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526951567&sr=1-3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ok boys i just laid down cat7 over my house and im wondering is it okay to use cat5 outlets or do i have to use higher cat outlets?

What is the difference between a 32bit and a 64bit program. Specifically in terms of how their written. e.g. Could hello world be written as 64bit in c or c++?

my friends computer can't connect to they internet.

we did a full reinstall of windows 10 and it worked for a bit but whenever she would go on a website it would give her two options for some reason. and then she shut it off and now there is no internet again.

when she goes in safe mode with networking there is no internet connections available. but on normal boot she can connect but its limited. what the hell is going on

another question. Is it just related to the size of the types? e.g. sizeof(int) being different between 32bit and 64bit

gigabit? You can use cat5.

How to make suckless terminal colored with pywal color scheme? Also is st worth it over urxvt? I spent 2 days trying to configure it and God it's not noob friendly.

Does my laptop GPU needs to be compatible with my future 4K screen or can I run 4K videos with just a standard laptop gpu and a hdmi output?

keep in mind it's only for videos , not gaming

you can literally google this

could be hardware issue (network card OR other end point like switch / modem)

try connecting a utp 2 usb converter to it and connect it via there.

if you are getting an (valid ) ip adres however, it's not an issue with the PC

Errors were encountered while processing:
runit
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It's broken, but works, how can I fix it?

Just install Gentoo and it'll work

Try looking for rj46 jacks, the ones with a metal jacket.

someone should email rms and ask if he consumes onions products

stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html

its connected to the internet. but it says limited. when we go into cmd and type ipconfig/all, it does show an IPv4 address. so what can be the problem

>when she goes in safe mode
everybody should go in safe mode, if you know what I mean...

169.254.x.y is also an IPv4 address but not a valid one.

Does the IP start with 192.... or 10... or something similar?

what do you mean that the PC is:
>connected to the internet

does the network cable go to a switch ? or to a router? is it WiFi?

>computer acting up
>random loading icon from time to time, disk tray opening randomly, mouse pad stops working out of nowhere
>Thinking it could be my SSD it is a few years old by now
>or someone is spying on me
what do?

the ip starts with 192.

the computer is connected through wi fi. it says connected but it is limited, so the internet doesn't work but its still connected to the router

I recently installed ubuntu and use firefox. Every time I open a new tab the page is shrunk and I have to manually change the zoom to 150% every time I open a new tab. How can I permanently set the zoom to 150% by default?

the problem is not the pc then more than likely (unless you're using outdated firmwares or shit for your wifi card).

does your phone or any other laptops have the same problem? or is it just that PC?

also:
>the computer is connected through wi fi. it says connected but it is limited, so the internet doesn't work but its still connected to the router

what is still connected to the router? i dont get it? is it your PC or other device?

god i don't miss my helpdesk job, would be the same fucko questions

SSD has nothing to do with disk tray opening randomly -> that's your motherboard (or a virus / spyware).

first thing -> format the PC (don't forget to backup drivers) and check if problem is gone.

if problem is still there -> get a new PC (since fixing motherboard is pretty expensive)

nothing else has a problem. it is just this pc.

the PC is connected to the router.. you know. the one we are talking about?

no because you said wifi.

wifi could be wireless access point, wireless router, wireless modem , ....

can you confirm the IP of the PC is not static and that it got it from the router

Is there a way to reset/change the "default debugger" on Windows 7 (if that even makes sense)? About 6 months ago, I recall there being some popup saying "blah blah what default program would you like to use for this," and while browsing the potential programs to see what the hell it was talking about, it automatically selected VisualStudio (of all things) and then exited out. Every once in a while, maybe every two weeks, I get six popup dialogues with the VisualStudio logo saying "debugger could not run LowDiskSpace" and "debugger could not do OtherThing.exe." How the hell did I accidentally change Windows 7's debugger to VisualStudio, and how can I switch it back to whatever it normally should be?

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/restoring-default-debugger-windows-7/0e1c3485-d116-48ca-a01e-84c90004a372

Oh shit thanks

well it says dhcp enabled = autoconfiguration enabled so i guess it is dynamic?

Hold on, this seems to work only if you have DrWatson. If I'm not mistaken, there is no DrWatson for Windows 7 - so, as another question, what is the equivalent for it in the Windows 7 OS? Or is it something I simply need to download as it doesn't come with Windows 7 normally.

yes FYI, dhcp is for ipv4 and autoconfig is for ipv6.

your problem sounds fucked

can you try to connect the pc with a cable to the same router to see if it's the wifi that's fucked?

yeah now it disconnected. i dont get it. i guess we will buy one

>Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Pinnacle Ridge CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Does anyone know if this is true for the Gigabyte Gaming K5 and the 2600X or can I just ignore the warning.

Should I purchase a used GTX 1080 founder's edition for $500 CAD? I know the guy and it wasn't used for mining, he also didn't use it for gaming much. Bought it with those intentions but didn't work out that way.

Attached: 1516421179873.png (610x423, 653K)

If the GPU supports 4k output (practically everything does) it'll work but which gpu do you have?

How do I make a website (forum website with news feed)?
Should I fell for JavaScript memes, or I can do everything using old 'classic' php...? Where can I read about it?
And what pre-made solutions are good for it?
By the way, I know how to program stuff for microcontrollers (C) and I know some C++...

HD Graphics 4000

Why does this POS notepad++ not change the font after i click "save & close" in the ""Style manager""

Nope, max resolution over hdmi is 1080p for your laptops gpu (DP is 1440p).

FUCK

could i use adapters or converters or some shit to output 4K tho ? or would i need a new laptop

The max resolution your laptop can do is 1440p you'd need a new laptop or external gpu

sounds too good to be true, MSRP 1080's cost more than that and with the gpu prices high he's selling it for a very low cost, make sure it works, and if it does take the deal.

FUCK2

thx

My GPU starts throttling under heavy load at really low temps, completely destroying my FPS in most games I play.

This happens rarely on average games like MOBAs and shit, and moreso on poorly optimized garbage or heavy AAA titles. So far the only solution I've found is alt tabbing and leaving the game process in the background for a bit, then jumping back in, but ~20 minutes later it happens again.

It's a Sapphire R7 2GB. Anyone know what could be causing it?

Pic unrelated

Attached: a.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Can all the extensions I've installed slow my Firefox ? I just tested Vivaldi and it seems to be way faster

yes

I messed around with my wifi's network settings a little bit and now it's running slow on all my devices. Anyway there's a quick fix?

I got a refurbished laptop thats in good condition but the Hard disk is failing, one problem with i've run into is apparently the laptop was supposed to run windows 8 or 8.1 but they added 7 pro, they gave me a working 7 pro key
but I have no idea where to get the drivers for it. it's an HP ProBook 6470b. and yeah it didn't come with a driver cd so I'm kinda stuck here

is anyone's clover crashing when they try to post something?

Attached: 46720186_p0.jpg (700x840, 243K)

What are the best non-real time antivirus for windows?I want to go light on my gaming partition, and I already use malwarebytes

Attached: 1488503479995.jpg (91x271, 23K)

I'm going to buy a Graphics card, anyone know if it matters where I get it from?
Is it okay if i buy from
Newegg, amazon, or B&Hvideo?

I want a new headset but its a >gayming headset. Memes aside, how is the Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver S? I've read the HyperX Cloud II's were really nice. Would the Revolver S be worth the +$50 bump in price?
amazon.com/HyperX-Revolver-Surround-HX-HSCRS-GM-NA/dp/B01N9RM9N3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

As long as its new you're fine.

Unironically the built-in one is fine: Microsoft/Windows Defender.

Drivers maybe?

Use PHP and JS, unsure of premade solutions but there are tutorials out there.

If you trust the guy go for it. Most anything outside of mining and constant workstation loads will be fine. For instance, gaming every night won't do shit to the card itself. Worst case scenario with that is the card is really dusty.

Isn't Windows Defender real time? think about my cpu cycles m8

is there any easy way to figure out which fan is starting to squeak (presumably via bearing) or do I just have to hope its the PSU or something easily removed

Oh fair, how about ClamAV?

MSE/Defender, quick reinstall of MWB when you think you clicked something dodgy

welp,got an I/O error on my last torrent so i searched online and apparently my HDD is gonna die soon so i started a scan with HDTune and started CrystalDiskInfo

Am i fucked?

Attached: shit.png (1244x645, 88K)

reset it

What's a good textbook for learning c++?
I've taken two classes for java and python so I understand some basics for coding.

>Am i fucked?
Yes, and no. Back everything up, and watch for errors. Skip the errors, those are fucked.

Recover rest of data. Reformat, and restore your data. I optimze the next night after backing up my torrents. Hasta.

Can anyone identify this device.

Attached: 5F6BFD00-2A8C-4BD1-9323-2D719614BB40.jpg (584x352, 40K)

How much should I be spending on powerlines for my ethernet shit?
Seems expensive at 40 bucks for 2.

All right i'll plug my other drive,transfer my important stuff and format it.
Should i scan it again after format?

how do people do stuff like this?

twitter.com/Skengrat/status/998729711269302273

Attached: diii.png (952x516, 51K)

how do i bread first search?

Attached: file.png (1248x832, 886K)

What, have shitty products they try to sell on Twitter?

I just started trying to learn haskell from the tutorials/documentation provided on the main website, came across an example like
data Point a = Pt a a
And they say this evalutes to
a -> a -> Point a
From what i understand this means point is a function that takes two parameters of the same type and maps it to a single type (at least i think?) But whats confusing me is if its a function of two parameters why is the evalutation saying it takes a type a that returns a type a that returns a Point a? If that is the way 2 parameters is expressed then can someone explain how this works with an example with say ints or something? The a -> a part is really confusing me though i think i get the type and data constructor parts.

What's the difference between these if my internet speed isn't above 10 megabytes per second?

amazon.com/dp/B00FE2VQXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x7c1AbAKCXREA?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=2b4f2e945d5d11e8bd01ea7718e137e00INT

amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-Adapter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526951567&sr=1-3

Whats the logo thats between debian and gentoo?
It says DNS

Was gonna finally "retire" my old WHS 2011 box but here's the thing: It runs to fucking well. It does backups just like it should. It Shares my files, streams my media, and allows remote access all with no problems. If there is any disk problems (so far none serious) I get e-mail alerts. If power should go out, the UPS will shut it down properly so data don't get all fucked up. I keep backups of my core data so if one day a drive does kick, I'm good.

What's the best torrent application for linux?

Attached: anime-tiddie-expert-5326057.png (500x329, 94K)

>16:9 aspect ratios are only capable of displaying 75% the amount of information as 4:3 screens of the same width
Why is this allowed? Why did the industry change standards? Was it normalfags wanting the "cinematic experience"?

Your external speed has nothing to do with your internal network speed

So you're saying I'm not going to get 10 megabytes a second out of the 6 dollar one?

That is not what i said.
Your external connection may be 10 MB/s but your internal can be 600mbit.

I know that, I'm just saying does the cap on the items really fucking matter if my internet speed i only like 5 megabytes a second wired?

Yes, you want a fast internal network. So if you went to transfer data between 2 of them(backup lets say), you would spend literal days on it instead of minutes to hours with a fast internal network.

I don't think you know what you're talking about anymore user.

Are you sure you understand my question

You have a slow ass third world quality isp who gives you 10 MEGABYTES per second transmit speed.
You are asking about POWERLINE adapters.
On those POWERLINE ADAPTERS they support either 200 mbps or 600 mbps.Your questions is why would you want 600mbit when your EXTERNAL CONNECTION is only 10 MB/s.
Your MODEM will connect to the INTERNET at 10 MEGABYTES PER SECOND. Your INTERNAL NETWORK on that POWERLINE ADPATER will be 600 MEGABITS PER SECOND. Meaning within your LOCAL NETWORK you would have speeds of up to 600 MEGABITS PER SECOND when talking to other devices on your LOCAL NETWORK

Capice?

Okay, so let me get this straight.

You didn't answer my question and it took you 3 posts to prove it?

My question is if my internet is crap like it is does it fucking matter which one I get?

My powercolor rx480 has been doing this weird thing while playing Escape From Tarkov, only has done it yesterday and again today. I'll be in a raid and suddenly the GPU will downclock itself to the point where I only get about 5fps. Temps are normal and so is fan speed so theres no reason it should be downclocking itself. Is this something I should be worried about? It's still under warranty

Attached: 29085902460l[1].jpg (1600x1067, 278K)

So i tried to plug a HDD while my PC was on and I forced the molex cable a bit too hard and my pc turned off, now it wont turn on, please tell me I didn't kill my PC.

Attached: 14383425_10205253335131353_2085036431_n.jpg (720x497, 17K)

I answered it in my first post.
If you still do not fucking understand there is nothing anyone else can fucking do to your thick fucking skull that will make you understand.
Why are you even in charge of techology in your house/apartment, surely there is someone more intelligent that could be in charge of wireing your network.
Do you have a 10 yr old son i could talk to about your network? Perhaps a black roommate?

Turn it on Performance mode and leave it

You could have just said "It shouldn't matter", but most Jow Forumstards who have their heads so far up their own ass like yourself are too easy not to try to piss off

>im retarded
>i made a retarded post
>someone answered me correctlly
>im retared
>BUT LOL IT WAS A RUSE
> I WAS TRICKING YOU AND NOW I AM MAKING A POST ABOUT TRICKING YOU
>LEL EPIC TROLOLOLOLOLOLO

Attached: 121.png (568x1023, 216K)

What is the best VPN to use?

Attached: 861.jpg (991x672, 107K)

maybe you killed the PSU

radeon settings has a global performance mode? I thought it only had it for particular things like texture filtering

also the psu is supposed to shut down if there's a short, which psu model?

It just puts the texture filtering and other settings to low quality

There should be a way to turn the gpu to its maximum clocking, and turn fans to 100% for its duration
It might be msi afterburner

Ok so, the reason why sd cards and usb sticks advertised size don't match the actual size is cause companies consider 1Gb as 1000MB instead of 1024, and do the same for MB to KB, but my question is, why is that?
Why do companies who produce these things and are thus knowledgeable about what they create, create them this way and advertise them this way?
as far as i know, all measurements made in this field go with power of 2, so why should a company produce, as example, a 14.8 GB card? Why would they advertise it as 16?
Why not not follow the most basic rule of power of 2 and just produce an actual 16 GB card?

Not to mention how for the end user, who might be completely ignorant about this, it just creates confusion.
One might download a movie being just a bit more than 15GB, but when they'll try and put it on a 16Gb usb stick, it won't fit, while by logic suggested by the advertisement, it makes no sense as it should fit in it.

>the first explanation of blockchain I understand
is this a meme?

Fedora 28 has support for nvidia drivers now, is there a way i can get my optimus system to run the NXT client while actually using my graphics card?

Attached: OSRSnice.png (400x250, 112K)

Solid state memory was traditionally sold as powers of two since if you have n address wires you can get 2^n * word size storage. Hard drives and magnetic tapes before them are sold in terms of powers of 1000.

Flash drives and memory cards etc were usually sold in the powers of two sizes up until about a decade ago where even cheapo drives/cards added error correction/wear levelling etc functionality so they can be more reliable with less dense flash, so usable space is always less than the capacity of the raw chip, so rounding down to the near power of 1000 based sizes is a reasonable number.

lowercase vs capital B matters, 1B = 8b, byte vs bit.

How do I become smarter? I try my best but these lazy geniuses in my class just know everything already without trying.

>Why would they advertise it as 16?
two reasons:
they can advertise a bigger number
it's actually correct (but many people don't know this)
1 TB = 1000 GB = 1000000 MB
1 TiB = 1024 GiB = 1048576 MiB