Windows

As bad as Windows is today, when did it REALLY start to go to shit? What was the LAST good Windows OS?

Attached: Windows_logo_(Pre-XP)_alt._color.svg.png (2000x1638, 156K)

I'd say 2000.

Vista, 7, 8/8.1 depending on what you define as good. 10 is objectively the shittiest version of Windows since ME.

Attached: you don't need other oses.jpg (482x424, 97K)

Wasn't there some guy here who actually used 2000 as his main OS?

Windows 8

Windows 8.1 was unironically good. Even if you didn't like the start menu, you could easily replace it with classic shell

windows xp

How the absolute fuck could you like XP more than 7? What is the reasoning??

xp/7 were the peaks, everything else was/is trash

source: used every version since 2000, still use 10

>LAST good Windows OS?

XP

Also W7 was not SHIT, still "meh" (not even good) but Vista was a complete shit

It's not an overall bad OS, keeping all the legacy stuff does add bloat to the installation but they make it work pretty much OOB as far as drivers go. 7 and 10 the best, having the telemetry/privacy issue on the side ofc. And for customization it has to be between XP and 7, for sure. Every other OS can't be taken into account because there was no massive internet so a lot of errors were unknown to the masses.

>Vista was a complete shit
How so? I never had a single problem with it.

>keeping all the legacy stuff does add bloat to the installation
Why is modular Windows taking so long?

2000 or 7

That exactly matches my experience. Never used 8/8.1, though, so I don't know about them.

> when did it REALLY start to go to shit
Every version of Windows had issues.

If you're only playing /v/idya, you might still be fine with Win10.

Your real option isn't an older version of Windows anyhow, it's to get a Linux computer and learn what you need to know so you can do all the many other computation tasks on a platform that isn't fucked up.

7. It's compatible with modern hardware (unlike XP) without the bloat and shit of 8 and 10.

2000 is the best of the old school ones.

Considering what MS charges, the OS should be judged on how it is out of the box without free 3rd party programs to fix it.

>Why is modular Windows taking so long?
You are getting software-as-a-service Azure. That's what Microsoft is focusing on.

Not some great version of Windows that fixes all issues and really competes with Linux for versatility and customization.

(You)
PS: It's honestly time to start a Linux machine if you need modularity or just want to reduce your reliance on having to go along with Microsoft's bullshit.

Regardless if all you learned was Windows-centric so far and it's inconvenient to adapt, this is actually your main way out. Well, or BSD or Haiku or something, but Linux is the most obvious option since it has the broadest support.

The groundwork has already been laid. They made some legacy components install-on-demand (NTVDM comes to mind) and optional components can be installed from Microsoft directly.

Attached: 1469046580208.png (1296x2048, 1.8M)

There is nothing wrong with Windows 10.

8 because thats wen they gave up on makeing everything backwords conpatable witch was the only respectable thing about windows

At this rate it's another 20 years until it's anywhere near an Alpine container for docker.

And this is also probably about the only use case they'll want to support. Good luck getting, for example, desktop Windows but without the telemetry, cortana, windows app store and other crap components installed any time soon.

>when did it REALLY start to go to shit?
Windows 8

>What was the LAST good Windows OS?
Windows 7

Windows has always stolen you computer information. As did AOL. They have never changed. It was always about ease of use.
10 is seen as so bad because its so difficult to turn off the windows theft of your information.
Up to 7 you could hack windows and remove doggy files that were sending your information to all sorts of places. In 10 there are so many layers and so much functionality is lost that you are better off not using it at all.

Invasion of privacy is the definition of wrong doing.
In a lawless country thats what you get lots of wrong doing.

Vista. With the exception of 7, it was all downhill from there.

Windows 10 is fi...

Well at least it rolled back instead of sending me into a boot loop.

Attached: Capture.png (358x160, 7K)

Also, how hard is it to actually get the date right?
For some reason they consider it "installed" when it's downloaded, not when it's, you know, installed.
I just rebooted now to update yet it's calling in the 19th.

>doggy files

Attached: 1431703103400.gif (250x343, 1.99M)

I'd use 2000 with kernel mods...

Haiku for old computers and linux on new ones.

there is literally nothing wrong with windows 7

That was me until 2010. I'd still be using it if software from the last decade ran on it. It was the last Windows that had the concept of "operating system" done correctly, as an unintrusive piece of software that never distracted the user from what it's being used to run. XP/Vista/7 come close but come with tons of useless eye-candy which could thankfully be disabled.

Windows 7 was awesome when it first came out. People were happy to be done with XP and Vista.

The company I work for is still on 7 though and I can't fucking stand it. Linux Mint is so fucking comfy it's insane. If it weren't for a few applications that ONLY work on windows and my occupation, I'd never use it again.

Other than that, windows 2000 brings back fond memories from my childhood.

windows 95 had best startup sound

Obviously feel free to mix as you see fit, but I personally can't see any reason to use Haiku just because it's an old machine.

Because XP doesn't have Aero

Windows 10 LTSB

>People were happy to be done with XP and Vista.

People were happy to be done with Vista, no one was done with XP.

It's as buggy/laggy as any other W10 edition with no bloat

Install 3rd party themes

>fix
Well, that's only if you're an autistic little faggot with babby duck syndrome. It worked fine without that

i like windows 10.

i'd say

>7
>xp
>8.1
>95
>windows 10

Attached: 1526480854999.jpg (2560x1440, 270K)

I honestly don't understand the problems people have with nu Windows. Is it just an unwillingness to change/learn the new system? Because for me at least, I found there was a growing period between version changes where I felt like I was in a new environment and did not like it, but once I figured everything out, I always ended up prefering it to the previous iteration. Obviously there are some things that do get worse, but I've always found everything else added more than compensates.

people that hate on vista just had old computers when it came out and it had bad driver support if you had a computer that was recent or didnt know how to trouble shoot it was fine.

i think the only thing i had that didnt work on vista was a creative sound card that was USB but it still worked just was crazy loud and then a driver came out and fixed it.

I had the fastest laptop HP would sell when I used it. Vista still ran like shit.

win xp

ME was loads better than 10. In fact, Windows 3.1, 2, and (supposedly 1) was a huge improvement over previous ways of doing things.
Windows 10 is the worst operating system ever made.

But Windows 8 is when they really started ramping up telemetry, forced updates that you can't turn off, app store that somehow manages to be worse than setup.exe installers, and preloaded garbage that you can't remove.

based

Windows was never good, right from version 1.0

Windows 7 is great.

All went to shit with 8.
The boot loop inducing updates started with 8, got worse with 10.

Vista was fine except for the fact that, at the time, most PCs came with 1-2GB of RAM and ran a 32 bit version. Vista with 8GB in a 64 bit environment is 95% as good as 7.

XP was incredible for the time, and was viable up until around the time 8 went mainstream.

2000 was pretty neat.

98 was good, too. I used a 98 system until around 2001 as my main PC, and until around 2004 as a backup.

My first Windows experience was 3.1 as a kid.

i used this on the last 6-8 months of its supported thing. wished i had used it earlier. it was so kickass, fuck. i mean, fuck i wished i had installed it so bad about 4-5 years or more before, so light on using anything. like 98 but just robust like xp.

Attached: folder-up.png (343x41, 3K)

>98 was good, too

Yeah 98 was great when it wasn't crashing to a BSOD for one reason or another.
XP was definitely a huge improvement.
I'm ignoring 2000 since it was the iffy in between version most people skipped like Vista.

98SE
XP SP2
Vista with all service packs
everything else is shit

>what is the backspace key
Don't tell me you actually move your mouse and click the navigation buttons.

win 7 & reactOS

and those dipshits who say reactos is a meme
you can go fuck yourselfs

fpbp

Windows 10

Windows has never been good.

it can't do anything useful, it's a meme OS

every post Millennials , god damn i hate you all

Attached: igen.png (264x191, 6K)

Everything started going downhill afer 7. 10 was when I no longer found it usable and started using Linux.

An update that makes my screen flickers because no reason is the definition of bad

More useful than win10

tfw windows 10 can actually boot on real hardware without BSODing

Attached: image.jpg (722x800, 62K)

there was never good Windows and W10 is unironically the best of them all

When were you born user?

it depends on the criterions of goodness. Modern Windows is like an indepedent organism and this fact is pretty impressive

Windows was never good.

Wrong.

Don't you get it, user? He's not a millennial, he's a 25 year old boomer.

Attached: benis.png (500x500, 124K)

>Wrong
see

cringe

>good
95/98
>decent
XP
>barely tolerable

that was it

holy shit quit trying to force this stupid fucking meme you lousy poster-child for abortion. Don't you have summer school or something? Middleschool must have been tough this year.

Stockholm Syndrome.
Been held captive and abused by Microsoft for so long it's become normal.
Saying one version of Windows is better than another is rampant fanboyism. They are all fucking horrible.

this and snap-posting are unironically worse than forcing milhouse
anyway
win 2000 was really good
use xp at work
havent used windows since; vista is shit, job still hasnt downgraded to 7 or 10

One that could run 16-bit applications

>snap-posting
what now?

Windows XP os the best Windows OS available. It was the OS I used the longest, and I would still use if it wasn't so damn insecure. Windows 7 wasn't absolutely awful, but it was never good. If I didn't use GNU/Linux, I'd probably be using XP or 7.

>vista is shit
lol no

>Why is modular Windows taking so long?
Kernel and service are done.
The shell and all its retarded hooks into other windows parts(explorer.exe, kernel) is the problem.

I don't even get the boomer meme. I manage to stay away for a few days and now it's all over the place.

Attached: snap.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

Great
>2000
>7
>Whistler (Nostalgia?)
Good
>95
>98
>Xtra Problems
Honorable Mention
>Vista
>8.1
OhShitNiggerWhatAreYouDoing Tier
>98 Millennium Edition
>8
>10

yeah, i'd say it peaked with 2k, too. it was the first NT release for a broader userbase, but not targeted at normies, so it does not had to eat up every shitty driver and "muh, gayming" was mere a sideshow. it was clean, organized, relative lightweight and incredible stable for a microsoft os. most people here are too young to remember it's release, but it was reicived as a gift from the angles since the original NT were pretty expansive and not that easy to get for non companies.

with xp they started to water it down with 9x shit that took them years to make it a decent product (SP3) and fucked it all up again with vista (yes, it was horrible on release, even high end machines had to struggle with it's insane hunger for processing power and it ate up memory like the neighbours dog your moms puccy). win7 was okayish, 8 would have been great again if wasn't it for the tablet interface. i refuse to comment on 10.

>8 would have been great again if wasn't it for the tablet interface
If you didn't install a replacement for the Start Menu you don't belong here.

i did, but i did not used it for long anyways.

Everything after Win 2000/XP

non, it has always been a proprietary software

2003 is after 2000/XP and it's objectively the best version of windows

>buy a "professional" version of windows
>comes with Candy™ Crush™ Saga™, Minecraft and an XBOX logo you can't remove from the start menu
What did Pajeet mean by this?

windows general advantage over linux is in third party software base

win10 advantages over 8 and 7 are: virtual desktops, linux subsystem, store ( having store AND setup.exe is better than having just setup.exe ), nicer login screen, better start menu ( essentially desktop icons in a popup menu that you can arrange however the fuck you want, which is much better than a generic list you have to scroll through ), better task manager, ootb no performance impact screen recording

with all that said, i use linux because im racist and i hate pajeets.

This. 2000 was peak OS design. I'd still be using it if it still had support. XP was the beginning of the end.

>win10 is shit
>what is ltsb

botched version of win10 that doesn't get feature updates

enjoy reinstalling it from iso every year

> What was the LAST good Windows OS?
I don't know. I would say 2000, but then again, the XP wasn't really that horrible too when I think about it. I used probably longest 98 and 2000 though. I'm thinking about installing some windows on virutal machine just for nostalgia purposes.