But then I can't play games-
>Jow Forums says: "you don't need to"
But then I can't edit videos-
But then I can't do 3D modeling-
But then I can't do music production-

Attached: 44n5d6hgfagz.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/608413/how-can-i-set-specific-folders-to-list-or-icon-view-in-nautilus
lmms.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*Linux/GNU

>But then I can't play games-
>>Jow Forums says: "you don't need to"
There are thousands of Steam games for linux, Wine works for a lot of titles and you have emulation of all the classic game consoles. ARGUMENT INVALID
>But then I can't edit videos-
Kdenlive, Lightworks, Blender. ARGUMENT INVALID
>But then I can't do 3D modeling-
Blender. ARGUMENT INVALID
>But then I can't do music production-
Ardour, LMMS. ARGUMENT INVALID

TOTAL ANALYSIS: NO ARGUMENTS FOUND
RECOMMENDED ACTION: INSTALL GENTOO

Borderlands 2, Civilization VI, etc. all on Linux
Lightworks
Blender, Maya
Come on that's an easy one
Ardour, Reaper, Bitwig

Don't believe you actually need all of this simultaneously. Use macOS if you want production and modeling. For games - there are soo many options if exclude windoze. So if you like windoze - use it. Guys in MS will be happy to use your personal info to make more money out of you

I enjoy headache free installations

you can't play most games, such as Divinity Original Sin 2.

Blender is not used professionally and is an absolute joke.

Ardour is horrible, you lose access to VSTs unless they have a Linux version (0% have linux versions). No one does music production on Linux.

Attached: 1364166277529.gif (187x155, 2.28M)

I spent 3 hours trying to get ultra despair girls to work in wine before giving up and setting up a windows duel boot. ARGUMENT INVALID

What isn't headache free about those?
All the games are in Steam. Blender, Ardour, Kdenlive are in repos for every distribution, and the others are mostly commercial (Bitwig, Lightworks, etc) and have dedicated installers like on Windows.

Bitwig is a pretty solid DAW. Maya is THE 3D package and that's natively available on Linux.

TWO THOUSAND AND FUCKING FOUR
W
O

T
H
O
U
S
E
N
D

A
N
D

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

F
O
U
R

>duel boot

Attached: 1435603573938.jpg (460x574, 41K)

that's a GNU problem. linux has nothing to do with graphical user interface at all

bitwig is not solid if you cant use VSTs. losing access to VSTs means you cant do any kind of serious music production.

But you can play Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale.

my steam library has 130+ games, only 27 are compatible with linux, your thousand of games are literally trash tier

>Ardour, LMMS. ARGUMENT INVALID

my fucking sides

Attached: 1491876801499.gif (245x138, 397K)

Sorry user, I'm phoneposting on the shitter

Not strictly speaking true. Pro Tools doesn't have VST support (or didn't last I used it, it has been a while) and they do just fine.

Bitch, I'll send you to the shadow realm.

Attached: 1441615229873.jpg (336x345, 12K)

>Blender is not used professionally and is an absolute joke.
The poor craftsman blames his tools

usualy people will use a host program/rewire for vsts on protools, its pretty janky

>Ardour, LMMS

Attached: 1439690488373.jpg (620x620, 198K)

>depend on proprietary plugins to do your work
>wonder why they have compatibility issues when you make changes to your system

We warned you about this.

package managers work easier than what windows has to offer
>you can't play most games,
WRONG, you can't play most NEW games.
If you count all the games that run on linux against those who don't then you would see that Linux runs most games.
There is no denying that if you want to play the latest AAA games you need windows or get a console.
>Blender is not used professionally
Actually, it is, maybe not as much but that's because industry standards aren't quick to change.
> is an absolute joke.
False, it's on par with professional editors in most aspects and the upcoming update will give Blender an even better renderer than some of those editors.
>No one does music production on Linux.
broad generalization. Okay audio production still has to improve on linux but development is ongoing and each version features get added and bugs removed.
sad
lots of indies
yeah for professionals it might not be the perfect solution, but for amateurs it's fine

Attached: plan9bunnywhite.jpg (1376x1492, 164K)

>>depend on proprietary plugins to do your work

you understand the vsts are designed to work with basicly any daw right? theres nothing proprietary about them unless you think actuly spending money on them over piracy makes them exclusive

Attached: 1322342814000.png (181x162, 6K)

I've used both of these and they work just fine.

Please don't tell me you need bloated shit like protools just to make music.

That worked first try for me on Lutris. All Danganronpa games worked for me on Lutris. Weird and I'm sorry :c

I also found out that in Linux you can't set folders to different view types (icons or list), all folders must be the same view type.

Linux is absolute trash.

Wrong. You are an absolute idiot who doesn't even understand what Linux is.
Microjew cocksucker.

>linux has one filemanager with one feature set
wew
What distro did you use and what filemanager?

You tried Dolphin? It does that by default and I usually end up disabling it.

Cry more Looniggers:

askubuntu.com/questions/608413/how-can-i-set-specific-folders-to-list-or-icon-view-in-nautilus

>can't view the source code, can't recompile the plugin or fix bugs if needed, if it has some issues with newer software or causes crashes and memory leaks, too bad lol
I meet a lot of musicians who seem to depend on old unmaintained VST plugins and they don't seem to understand their system is fundamentally fucked. There are SO MANY broken plugins out there that will never be fixed. At least with a real rack unit you can take the damn thing apart and get it repaired.

For the record there are ways to use wine to run windows VST plugins in GNU/Linux audio programs, but they are as janky and buggy as VST support in any arbitrary windows program.

>yeah for professionals it might not be the perfect solution, but for amateurs it's fine
at a certian point you gotta ask yourself, should I keep using half assed FL clones? or just stop trying to be a linux hipster

Just use mac and dual boot windows for gaymen.

Except you can
Kdenlive? Technically you can
Blender. You can
You can.

>half assed FL clones
Have you even tried them?

>or just stop trying to be a linux hipster
I'm sorry, I forgot that not making top 40-sounding pop songs using whatever heavily shilled proprietary junk is out now makes me a "hipster"

>Nautilus
install a different file manager with that feature nigger, it's not that hard
>linux hipster
Fuck off, I'm no audio engineer desu and I'm not fully aware of the differences. I played around with both and they seem pretty feature rich, but because of my lack of knowledge I say that there might be stuff missing for professionals. Honestly I don't know so don't quote me on that.
I can get all my work done on Linux and I don't want to support Microsoft and their practices. Why should I? Should I because you would feel more secure about your OS and don't get bullied as much on Jow Forums?
FOSS development is beter than proprietary development in every way.

> listening to g memes

I'm still suscribed to the mailing list of this shit.
If anyone is interested, Suse had a patch on Firefox to show thumbnails. I don't know if it still working or not.

For gaymens and some proprietary software Linux is certainly lacking.
But for usability Linux is so sweet, when you get the terminal and can do simple bash scripts it makes linux so confy.
i got bashscript that i can access with a keybind that open links in my clipboard depending on the link.
youtube links will open another script that will show me options so i can choose quality and play it in mpv or download.
file hoster links will automatically download on my fileserver through real-debrid.

also rofi works better than any start menu.

nobody gives a shit about the opinion of microsoft marketing (thread)s

>cd ultra\ despair\ girls\
>wine udg.exe
so hard

>bait
>the thread

if gahnome don't fix it for gkt4 we may celebrate it's 20th anniversary

I'll just leave this here.
It's a windows 10 virtual machine with looking-glass-client.

Polite sage, this is already on page 8.

Attached: Screenshot_20180522_143530.png (1920x1080, 1.81M)

Whenever someone is told to use Linux they suddenly become a professional in media production.

Dark Souls
Sony Vegas
AutoCAD
FLStudio

None on Linux. GG.

>use linux
I don't need to.
No, seriously, why would I use Linux? I don't give a shit abiut your petty privacy crusade.

GNU/Linux is a great idea and has a wonderul and very complete library provided you don’t want your hand held. I wouldn’t use it as a daily driver for productive work, but as an addition to your usual set up it can prove itself invaluable.

Personally I find the linux subsystem that comes with Windows 10 great. I can use the CLI to interact with my windows files as I would in Linux, including SSH/SFTP , no need to set up a VM, and I can still use the windows only software I need as well as use photoshop and play vidya.

Of course if you have a toaster GNU/Linux is probably the best solution, but for normal people there are other solutions - like the one I use. I’m glad Microsoft has spent so much time and money investing in the Linux foundation, as I really believe the two systems benefit each other greatly.

Attached: 0B635563-27C4-42CE-8C95-29C27B8A77A5.jpg (1920x1080, 582K)

Linux isn't a good platform for making music. It'll probably suffice for just dicking around but somethings just aren't worth the hassle,. Like it's a pain to get something like a midi drumset to work on Linux but it can be trivial on Windows. A lot of people will use Windows for the sake of convenience and available tools.

>top-40 sounding pop songs using heavily shilled proprietary junk
That's not true and you know it. There's ton of music that's made on Windows that doesn't sound anything like billboard charting songs. Also just because a song is popular doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. I agree that pop songs don't always have the most depth but sometimes that's okay.

You honestly sound super insecure by how you insist that popular things like windows and pop music are bad.

Bitwig is.

do people actually read these, where the guy tries to reply to 20 people at once ? Its always one guy and the post never contains anything of value

At least choose a game that you actually cant play
I played divinity original sin 2 on wine literally last week

There's not really top of the line software but in my experience Linux has been great with audio work. I found it really easy to do a lot of fancy routing and tool connections straight through JACK and its plugins.

That's nice to hear. It'd be awesome if more people had the patience and ability to replicate what you did but almost certain most people don't. It'd be ideal for people to use Linux but I understand and respect why people use Linux. Maybe if I dedicated a weekend I could also get a nice lil setup on Linux like yours

Meant to say why people use Windows lol

There's also GIS. QGIS exists but it's reslly inadequate for some of the tasks, especially when most municipalities are still using propriety custom tailored software. Though the move is to open systems and platforms and making your own plugins.

>wine
I want 100% or better performance in all the games I play. Not dick around with settings or deal with microstuttering.

>100% performance in a top down 2.5d game
literally what does it matter
>dick around with settings
this is how i know you havent even tried

Divinity, no I haven't. Other games like Dark Souls don't work, despite the suspicious plat rating.

>dark souls
it is not shooter. There is no reason to not play it on console. Get ps4.

Or I could upgrade from an impotent OS for free?

hmmmm.... where have I heard that argument before......
>dude get an iPhone

>console
why is this board filled with cucks sucking on sony's dick just so they can run their shitty os.

Not everyone is a professional video editing mechanical engineer with a music producer gig on the side and a borderline obsession with e-sports, like yourself OP.

Is your shell fish? I tried it, I liked it but it felt like too much work using a different syntax for interactive use and another for scripting (bash). How are you doing it?

Framerate is plenty reason to play any game on a PC rather than a console.

ardour is fucking great software, and VST plugins are 90% garbage. also, if you rely fully on software audio synthesis and signal processing you are not a pro.

ardour with jack like no other DAW lets you to do advanced routing of signal thourgh external hardware, go back to software chain, route again to hardware and so on and so forth without latency issues and minimal memory footprint. do that with protools

> t. audio systems egineer

OK you've actually triggered me. I have about the same amount of games as you and about half are linux compatible. Fight me IRL.

half your games must be indie trash

> No one does music production on Linux.
It's fucking art. Why can't you jsut say "This is authentically produced music" or something to that effect and gain hipster cred?

>Blender is not used professionally
Are you fucking retarded?
>is an absolute joke
Asking again, are you retarded?

Honestly maybe a quarter. I'm not really that into indie game, you'd be surprised at how many games are OpenGL. Hold on a sec I'll grab you a screenshot. I seriously hope you're proud. I'm going through so much effort for this

>OP makes points that are all objectively false
>this thread still exists

Attached: 1506045790244.jpg (685x474, 77K)

Here. That's 73 linux games to 163 windows games in case I cropped that off. A little less than half.

Attached: proofs.jpg (537x3344, 259K)

I must have cropped some off the linux list because I only count 66 or something. Anyways, you get the point. It's more than possible to game on linux, you just won't get every game you want. I can speak to that from experience.

i know im responding to a summerfag
>>Jow Forums says: "use linux"

-lutris.net
-steam has a linux version
-nethack, other roguelike ports
look up 'linux video editors' on your favorite search engine
blender.org
lmms.io/

Attached: 1525984334251.gif (320x232, 995K)

You didn't even read the what he was asking. On nautilus you can toggle list/icon view. It is right next to the search button.

I can't imagine how brainlet someone like you would be to not know solid music / video / 3D production. I'm a software dev and I still know all these skills because they open up a lot of doors to be honest

>flstudio
nigger. You meant Cubase, ProTools and Ableton. Thats why people go for macs
I believe user was referring to commercial software. Games aside Linux is good as an alternative platform for those things or if you are programmer who does these on the side. I believe it is the best platform to study CS and work in that field. Just as macs are for audio engineers and graphic designers. Actually reaper is pretty decent and it has linux support,but its still not commercial in the music industry.

You can do kvm in a window now? Hot. Let me know when its ubuntu-tier easy to install/setup.

Attached: XOSGadr.jpg (767x905, 159K)

I use wine to run FL Studio 12. Some synths don't work but that's fine by me.

nice effort but as always sadly the linux list is missing a lot of good games, for now it's not worth it for me to switch.

looking glass is pretty much garbage as long as they don't fix the crackling sound issue and the mouse input issues.

Fair enough. maybe someday. But in the meantime we'll keep getting more support, as long as Valve keeps supporting Linux. Missing games were favorites in case you were wondering.

what program is that

That advice is all solid, but it doesn't _have_ to be followed. There are ways to do those things, but it's definitely true that the average person doesn't need to do these things. Still makes me laugh that people think it's normal to go grab an unauthorized copy of professional software for their very simple needs. e.g. sony vegas, adobe suite, fruit loops studio/reaper/whatever. You don't need that specific piece of software, you shouldn't vendor-lock yourself, but also you likely don't need software that complex, or often you don't need it in the first place. It's rare to need to edit videos or do 3d modeling or music production if you're the average person. I can see not wanting to limit yourself, but if you are holding back on switching just because you have all that crap installed on Windows, I think you should rethink things a bit. I find it's very rewarding to discover new programs, new interests, and just dive in, learning things freshly.

It is a bit unfortunate to support a locked down system and proprietary games by playing on a console, but I can also see the argument that it's better than using non-free software on your computer.

GNU/Linux is just actually a better OS. You can talk about freedom or privacy, but it works better and makes more sense.

>Borderlands 2, Civilization VI, etc. all on Linux
Really? Really? That's your response?

The problem is that people who aren't self taught and go to school for music production are usually taught to use Windows or Mac software and are barely computer literate, so expecting them to use an obscure OS (yes, it is obscure in the desktop market) that they have to install themselves is a bit much.

linux is for facebook only, hence apple using it.

topkek. gr8 b8 m8, i r8 it 8/8

> whats a virtual machine

if you use a lightweight version of linux you can VM whatever the hell you want

>games
You don't need to
>videos
unless you're doing professional-level work, there is absolutely no reason to waste money one Adobe shit
>3d modelling
Blender
>music production
linux is still too much of a clusterfuck for that

>macs are for graphic designers
Can this meme stop already? It's been decades since the Adobe photoshop was ported to Windows.

>media production
If you're on Jow Forums asking about video production software, chances are you're a random nobody that's probably looking to start a youtube channel

But then I can't make bait threads-

>Linux is so good that you have to maintain a Windows VM
Year of Linux!

It's simple. Put linux on a laptop or something you aren't going to do any serious work with. I have a linux laptop that I just use for lite coding and web surfing. Comfy.