/hsg/ - Home Server General

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.
>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like the J1900 or J3455 chipped ones.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

--->FAQ & GuideSoftware and Distro Tipsstill no munble or a decent chat
>both pastebins need update and some new shit

Attached: IMG_1904.jpg (4000x3000, 2.54M)

Other urls found in this thread:

smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/30071-vlan-how-to-segmenting-a-small-lan?limitstart=0
discord.gg/JXW8j4
forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/disk-price-performance-analysis-buying-information.62/
github.com/JustArchi/ArchiSteamFarm/wiki/Escrow
hub.docker.com/r/xeroxmalf/rtorrent-flood-freenas/
samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_recycle.8.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a cheap cisco unmanaged switch, and a computer dishing out dhcp.
say I have 2 clients on the switch, client 'a' 192.168.0.2, and client 'b' 192.168.0.3, and the dhcp host 192.168.0.1.
Does traffic go from client 'a' 192.168.0.2 > switch > computer 192.168.0.1 > switch > client 'b' 192.168.0.3
or does it go from client 'a' 192.168.0.2 > switch > client 'b' 192.168.0.3, without interacting with the main computer/host/dhcp server/firewall?

My goal is to have traffic on a subnetwork(2nd ethernet + cheap switch) isolated from each other so that unauthorized traffic cant go between them. This way chink network cams cant spread wannacry and brute force ssh and shit. I want to stop all traffic between devices, even ping, but allow a couple devices certain things like ftp and wan access.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
>RPi3
Nah mate. 100Mbit NIC and it's using the USB bus too. You'll get a max of 10 Megabytes transferring shit.

The point of a switch is that it doesn't send traffic to devices it's not destined for.
So it's
>or does it go from client 'a' 192.168.0.2 > switch > client 'b' 192.168.0.3

>My goal is to have traffic on a subnetwork(2nd ethernet + cheap switch) isolated from each other so that unauthorized traffic cant go between them.
VLANs were made for this.

>VLANs were made for this.
fug.
how do I into vlans?

You need a managed switch first of all. One that supports vlan tagging. (most manged switches do)

Would recommend reading this to get basic knowledge into vlans
smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/30071-vlan-how-to-segmenting-a-small-lan?limitstart=0

ok, thanks for the info. Ill read the link you provided.
Do you know of any way to change an unmanaged switch to managed?
I took apart my switch and found what looks like it could be a uart header aswell as an unpopulated io header for the back panel.

I have heard of 1 person actually doing that, but it highly depends on the specific switch. Don't count on it though.

double fug. ok I put it back together and will be looking for a managed switch or a way to nigger rig an old router with openwrt.

VLANs on managed switches are a pain in the ass to set up properly and you need to keep backups of your configs and spare hardware in case something breaks, an smarter solution is to get 2 unmanaged switched and one PC with 2 NIC's, install openWRT(or *BSD, pfSense, etc...) and make two LANs one for each NIC/SWITCH.

doesnt that limit me to just 2 vlans?

Can an old router flashed with openwrt do a vlan on each ethernet port?

Yeah but you can add more NICs/Switches, even 10gbps cards and WNICs down the road, it's just more flexible, plus the extra processing power can be used to do packet inspection and stuff.

good point and good idea. Doesnt work too well for me though because they machine is already overloaded since its also a desktop and a dozen other things as well.
Ill keep this suggestion in mind for when I get a dedicated firewall.

Got fed up with Plex because it wouldn't transcode music to android devices. Anyone use *sonic (subsonic / madsonic / libresonoc / etc)? What's a good Android client for them? Most of these you have to pay to use.

bump

Have you tried Audinat?

I am using Airsonic, and it works well with dsub on android.
You can get it from f-droidi.

Hey boys, looking to throw together a proxbox on the cheap, low power draw would be nice. Just wanna throw pfSense on it, virtualize my current Arch pentium web/mail server and a few Wingdings VMs for streaming VNs/a few windows server apps.
You think a 4770 would do the job?
Budgets $250 dollarydoos, cheers in advance

Attached: FB_IMG_1524997029774.jpg (800x800, 81K)

>>RPi3
>Nah mate. 100Mbit NIC and it's using the USB bus too. You'll get a max of 10 Megabytes transferring shit.
Why would anyone read until the end of the line, right?

Just got a synology server (DS218+) with 2 4TB WD red disks for a three-computer backup/network storage solution.

Before I order this, is there any problem with it? I wanted something with BTRFS to have some options as to long-term storage, but I need something that's not a hacked-together home setup.

10mb is good enough for most use cases and a cheap solution. But if you are retarded, streaming 4k/10bit through it, yeah, that will be a bottleneck.

>Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
>If you ask why then you don't need it.

Ok then, why would YOU want a homeserver?

Best 6TB HDD for torrenting? Any tips?

Everyone says WD Reds but they have really mediocre reviwes.

You already have the 4770? If yes, that will do the job, but a good RAM amount maybe is out of your Budget, if the rest of the parts needed are included. You can try and look for some cheap atom base pfsense box on Ali, they do the job and have a large amount of ports, and you can get it on a 1u case.

Here is the discord server invite link:

discord.gg/JXW8j4

Just because you have a certain philosophy about everything needing to be free, doesn't mean we can't enjoy other alternatives.
So die, tist.

Attached: tongue-6.jpg (460x276, 20K)

Hitashi for a non raid setup, they have the lowest failure rate of all three major brands.

Lovely to see someone reused the paste. Really cool.

Media server for home use, and streaming some TV shows for friends

>Sickrage
>Transmission
>Plex
>Steam bot

Looking for setting up a rocket.chat server soon

I am thinking twice on putting a discord server on the paste. But I will, it is widely hate but also widely used.

Hitachi is HGST now right?

Im debating between a HGST or a Toshiba X300

Yes. Sincerely I would go for hitashi/HSGT. Toshiba is still better than WD or Seagate, don't get me wrong, it is just a matter of personal choice at this point.

It doesn't matter if it is hated or not. Right now discord is dominating in connecting people, it is fast and reliable.

Sure it has a lot of bad business practices and goes against a lot of gentoo philosophy. But so does microsoft, a lot of linux distrubutions and a lot of appliances we use on an everyday basis.

We cannot reject these means, but we should instead use them to teach newer generations and people who are willing to learn to go away from these mediums.

There will always be idiots in this realm of ours, but we will always find those who are willing to go away from the idiocy and learn.

How do you guys RAID your fans?
Do you have half of your fans connected to the motherboard and then the rest connected to a separate fan controller that is not part of the motherboard?

The reasoning behind this, is because Asus makes unreliable fan connectors that ofter stop working under a few hours of 100% system load

Take the CPU fan for example. Wouldn't it be smart to have a dual tower cooler with two fans, but one fan is connected to the motherboard and the other is connected to one of those SATA-to-3/4pin fan header. So if the Asus motherboard stops sending power to the CPU fan, the other fan will keep on spinning

Am I being a retard here?

Alright alright, I get it.

Attached: 84147.gif (360x202, 1.58M)

Goddamn it, I just noticed how it formatted my post. That wasn't really how I intended it to look like but oh well. Also nice Alex Jones joke, bucko.

Or you could just buy a digital or analog fan controller, and stop bothering with shit Mobo controller software and crap quality connector that you can't replace easily if it broke.

Someone have linuxGSM running on a Ubuntu server? I am encountering some difficulty setting up the iptables config

Does anybody have experience with wall mounted kvm consoles for servers? My rack is in the attic and I'd love to use a kvm console at the wall near the stairs without having to always open up the hatch etc. to acess it. But I really can't find a single pop up solution that isn't rack mounted to slide out and up. I was looking for something along the lines of a laptop with the screen bolted to the wall, but obviously just need a display and keyboard.

>Wall mount a cheap monitor using the vesa.
>Put a foldable plate, with a keyboard glued to it.

This maybe is the cheapest solution

the amount of power that old junk in that picture uses scares me, G5 and judging by the xeon logo i assume the IBM's are same age, DDR2 era hardware
nehalem is the absolutely minimum people should use these days, still use some power but its not that bad on idle and is still capable for something

Yeah, for the looks of it, at least 100w idle. Not mine, gladly, stole that from a thread last year.

>Steam bot
Tfw anons take over your ideas. Feels goodman.

Attached: my setup.jpg (4160x2340, 746K)

>Having a better way to get my 200 steam cards from games that I will not play in the near future than needing to turn my rig on and using shitty steam idler
>Support for chat commands so I can monitor everything when not at home
>Docker container supported by the devs and not by a cunt that don't update shit

Good ideias haver to be shared, I am actually very grateful

This might help you

forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/disk-price-performance-analysis-buying-information.62/

>I am thinking twice on putting a discord server on the paste. But I will, it is widely hate but also widely used.
The discord is fine. All of the issues people have with it apply to IRC too. discord server admins can spy on your messages? they can do it on IRC too. discord can "data mine ur IP xD", yep IRC servers can too. People can protect themselves (and they should be doing this anyway if they care) using tor or a proxy on a VPS.

Secondly, while you may have issues with the platform they are using it's actually an active chat where people discuss homeservers. Excluding it is depriving people of a useful resource. Or you can just join the bridged matrix room, which is a totally free software web app.

Attached: screenshot26.png (849x646, 721K)

I have to idle cards in 300+ games, what software do you recommend? I dont wanna get banned from Steam tho, so nothing illegal pls

No problem bro.
Use ArchiSteamFarm. As long as you don't do anything stupid (e.g. have 100 accounts on Steam), you won't get banned

This, the only problem that I got with it, is caused by the 2FA. It makes impossible to auto start the service after a stop/shutdown/reboot. I advise you to not use 2FA, just for convenience.

>the only problem that I got with it, is caused by the 2FA
How so? 2FA is supported by ASF. github.com/JustArchi/ArchiSteamFarm/wiki/Escrow
If you setup 2FA in ASF, it will handle logging in by itself. Pretty much crucial in most every use-case

>they have the lowest failure rate
How much lower? Does it realy matter for a single disk?

Anyway your disk will fail and you should be prepared.

Yeah, but it can't get the code generated from steamguard and use it on the login, can it?

>buy cheap Dell poweredge from school district
>Install in parents home (uni fag and really don't want to lug that bad boy from apartment to apartment)
>Comcast is an asshole and I can neither portforward nor dmz the server with their router
>Not gonna ask parents to switch isps or buy a new router/modem pair for the sake of my autism and also don't want to buy it myself
>Have an idea:
>Am already running VPN on vps that I pay for for schoolwork
>Connect server onto the VPN, then use nginx or similar to route traffic to server in parents house

So a quick question for you guys, do you think it'll work? I really want it to be accessible from the internet, if only to roll my own email/use for storage and backup. Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue?

If you have rooted your phone, you can import the codes into ASF

>tw just set up cacti

Attached: graph_image.png (595x224, 14K)

I am a lazy fuck, just looked at the wiki, there is a userloginkey option, that makes it act like a "remember me" of the client. Will try it when I am back rome

I need help with something. How do I install this with FreeNAS? Never used a docker or whatever

hub.docker.com/r/xeroxmalf/rtorrent-flood-freenas/

Attached: 1523312581350.jpg (1920x1080, 576K)

Go to the freenas documentation/wiki, there is a bit there on how to install docker with rancher(gui for administration and deployment of container) and user the information in the hub page for proper configuration. But I suggest trying another container first, just for training and learning some commands. But you can go for it from the start, just search and use the how-to on the docker wiki/documentation on how to deploy a container.

Seagate Ironwolf is pretty fucking good.

i'd prefer if someone helped me with it, i don't mind paying 10 bucks or something

>I will pay 10 bucks for someone in a anonymous online forum to access and deploy something on my server

Are you serious?

Attached: 1523985574563.png (1440x1557, 738K)

yes

Pwning someone's device AND earning 10 bucks in the process.

are you gonna try to get some muscle to come and do some heavy kuftubg 4 you?

I don't have a good enough to meme to express how surprised I am that you are actually serious about this.

Man, take some time and learn how to do stuff for yourself, don't be a brainlet that pay other to do stuff for you. Because if you encounter some problem, you will have to pay someone again, because you don't know the basics to try figure out the problem.

I'd rather just pay someone $10 to guide me through the process

I've got 4 4TB Toshiba drives (I can't immediately remember the product name, definitely not X300 though) and 2 6TB WD Red drives.

The Toshiba's were probably the best bang for you buck when I bought them and I haven't had any issues these past two or so years. They do make quite a bit of noise though, so if you put your server/NAS in your bedroom and are a light sleeper, they may not be for you. I've heard that HGST drives are pretty loud as well.

The WD Reds have hardly made any noise in the year that I've got them. Every once in a while they'll make a bit of noise. I suspect my NAS is doing some indexing or something. Other than that, hardly a peep out of them.

There are free online guides that explain it. Bonus points that you can still find the guide if you forgot how to do it

don't rly care

this isn't that easy to install I have it in my container, come on hsg discord I can help you out.

are there lots of bugs?

Why have the HP gen10 microservers prices increased about 100% since the beginning of the year? any chance they come back down?

why ur server black? r u racist or something?

Cheap 5 port Netgear which comes in blue metal case is manageable and has vlan and port mirror support.
Should be GS105E v2

best idea is to repurpose an old thinkpad. theyre a workhorse that never gives up.

What's your name in there

Bump
Has no one ever had this be a problem? Or do you just never leave so no need for your server to be public facing?

Pic related are cheap as fuck and have vlan support. The webinterface sucks though.

Attached: IMG_20180522_230048.jpg (4032x3024, 1.59M)

>home
>vlans
why

I have a pcengines apu as firewall and router and it has only 3 ports. I have different vlans for different SSIDs and one for my LAN and then multiple for the VMs. I don't need it but i like networking.

I just set up a CentOS KVM and installed Emby on it. What is the best way to torrent media remotely? My hope is to do this remotely so I need something that can be used over CLI or a web interface.

Attached: 28577077_1936141326444253_5459957841635857414_n.png (960x951, 330K)

sup

Attached: server_with_arrows.jpg (4032x3024, 1.61M)

I need to safely store 20TB of books and papers. How do I create a server for it (something that's not too expensive) and what RAID do I use?

what do u need 10TB for?

I'd suggest doing RAID5 or 6, on Linux.

If you realize this with 10TB drives (so, 3 or 4 of them for RAID5 or 6 respectively) you can just use an onboard atom / pentium mainboard with 4 SATA ports onboard (you still have PCI, so you can add another 4 quite cheaply).

thanks user. do I need ECC ram? I've been thinking going that route with some cheapo Xenon mobo.

> do I need ECC ram?
No, you don't really. Yes, it's a thing that mitigates one possible [small] risk.

But frankly it will likely not be worth the cost difference. I personally do without.

Better get more storage, eh.

(cont'd)
Also, for cheapo Xeon mainboards you need to watch power consumption. Often that's the reason why they were decommissioned and why they are cheap now.

Also the reason why I default to onboard Atom/Pentium. They don't provide fantastic bandwidth or processing power, but they are cheap AND pretty much all consume little power.

Do you people with NAS store literally everything on it? What are benefits compared to just storing your data normally? Do you copy your anime or watch it from your NAS "on the fly"? Is there even any point in NAS if your going to consume your media from one device?

Thanks user!

> What are benefits compared to just storing your data normally?
Better hardware resilience and organization due to having drives safely in one larger storage pool rather than individual risky drives, access from multiple devices & OS'.

> Is there even any point in NAS if your going to consume your media from one device?
Yea, it's still one of the easiest ways to just make that the storage device.

Also, who only has one device these days? At the very least you tend to have a smartphone and a desktop/laptop PC, both of which tend be used to consume some media.

Apart from that, the photos / videos you record and other files you create need to go somewhere, so do your backups and so on, it's not just media consumption.

No problem. Hope it helped something.

BTW Asrock has a lot of the onboard chipset mainboards, and I generally have been happy with their BIOS and overall quality.
Regardless who you're going with, see that you get 4 SATA ports - some models only have 2 because getting 4 usually requires an extra controller.

Just in case you're not going with the Xeon.

looks good, thanks

Thanks again user! Do you have any suggestions for a case? Something that can hold 5 to 6 HDDs?

Call me dumb, I'm kind or newbie at networking, but what's the main reason behind a switch for a few cabled hardware?

Fractal Design Node 304 or 804 or the slightly larger but easy R5 (went with the last).

Silverstone DS380

Random no name $20-40 ITX/ATX case probably also works, though.

I've got a problem

I am running FreeNAS, I have 4 shares, from 4 datasets, from one volume. The reason is because I want to use the recycle bin feature, so you have to create a share from each dataset, and not recursively from the volume itself. Here's the problem, it looks like shit and I want to combine it into one share.

How do I do it without running multiple servers on top of each other?

Attached: x.jpg (756x137, 15K)

Wait, the samba recycle bin required one share each on BSD?

yeah, it just shows the folders and no files otherwise

Attached: x.jpg (1474x233, 33K)

I don't remember anything about what the WebUI creates.

Can't you just edit the samba configs to work as you want with: samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_recycle.8.html ?

>10bit
not mentally ill

It works different with datasets

Literally my nigger

Have you checked? I was pretty convinced it's still a normal smb.conf that results from the freenas web UI, but I guess I might be wrong...