/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 423090 feet headphones hoshi seifuku thighhighs.png (2000x1400, 2.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-onkyo-dp-s1-rubato-24-bit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 35A9F3A5-E6E0-45DF-8283-64F3685515D5.jpg (4032x3024, 2.31M)

Attached: 227stax_by_arceon-d8742b3.png (821x1330, 561K)

first for the best IEM's you can get under 200$

Attached: Screenshot_32.png (607x619, 855K)

i want to try a full balanced setup, i need blanced DAC and amps recommendation

Questyle CMA600i

too expensive, how about the CMA400i instead?

The 009S from stax is basically exactly that. My main headphones are the L700 AND L300 LE but even I was impressed with what you can get from those stax's for so much money.
They're es and very fragile too.

Attached: 654ACE13-60B2-4623-A31C-F3818B624E69.jpg (3024x4032, 2.29M)

good too

kek, based stax poster

Attached: Screenshot_30.png (569x680, 904K)

Topping DX7/DX7s

and what about the gustard a20h?

Garbage

here's a handy little guide for you no-staxers out there.

Attached: Grief.png (1200x901, 63K)

Alright /hpg/, help me decide between these three headphones.
I was originally looking at the V-MODA crossfade 2 for headphones that i can use on the go and also at home as well
How do they stack up against the Sony XB950BT and Skullcandy Crushers?
I've heard decent things about them and they're all comparable and I'd like to know which one sounds the best in terms of overall clarity and bass thats not too overbearing.

The XB950N1 from sony is basically exactly that. My main headphones are the LCD-2 and HD600 but even I was impressed with what you can get from those sony's for so little money.
They're bt and have a mic too.

If thats the case then whats the justification for V-moda's 200 dollar price tag for their Wireless 2 headphones? is it just the the durability?

>Skullcandy Crushers
Yikes

>10 ohm OI
garbage

it's decided then, i'll buy it after my stax arrive

It's fine for high impedance headphones
But I only use it as pure balanced DAC for studio monitors or Stax 353X now.
Still cheapest measured option fir balanced DAC out there.

Who else is living the Stax life?

NFB-28.38

I already hear bad records inconsistencies with better amp and 600s, I wouldn't be able to handle the nightmare if those got more detail.

Are Campfire IEMs really demanding with source output impedance?
What OI is correct for Andromedas? Orions?

also that freaking drop at 10k, just nope.

Attached: 1512021603514.png (994x620, 141K)

Bad seal.

I wouldn't be able to wear it perfectly sealed for 15h, so point is mute.

stax are comfy

except everyone and their grandma says they are not

everyone says they are comfy.

Please try them first.
I didn't expect to return from Japan with new headphones, but went to try Stax anyway. Next day I had to buy second luggage for the amp.

They are comfy.

When I first got my HD600s I remember feeling a little surprised at them not being an obvious huge upgrade over HD 280s. I recently switched back temporarily because I have the 280s in a messenger bag for when I go out. I was using them to watch anime somewhere and it was kind of amazing how much less comfortable they were, and how they kind of felt suffocating after being used to open headphones. Also, I have long hair so I push my hair out of the way a bit and then slide my headphones on to continue pushing the hair off my ears, and I found that with the leather of the 280s compared to the velour of the 600s, it was a lot less comfortable. It was like the opposite of buyer's remorse.

While I'm posting here, anyone wanna recommend something a bit cheaper than the 600s that would work as good on-the-go headphones? shorter cable, probably closed instead of open, ideally still with velour pads and decent sound, and probably lower impedance so I don't need to get a portable amp.

m40x with velour pads

Oh cool, I actually have a friend with the m40x I think, so I could test out the sound. Is it possible to order them with the velour pads, or would I be doing the swap myself? How much of a pain would it be? I swapped the pads on my 280s at one point and it was a fairly traumatic experience. Took a long time and I tore the old ones getting them off.

you have to swap yourself but it's not that bad
not many closed headphones come with velour pads, they tend to make them less closed

Good to know, thanks. When I got my HD600 I just ordered them new off Amazon. I'll probably wait a bit to get the m40x because I'm broke right now, but where would you suggest shopping for them when the time comes? Any place that'd have them on sale sometime, or is the price fairly stable?

amazon works, you can try for used on ebay since you're replacing the pads anyways

I ordered stax they should be arriving between May 29 - June 1. This better be good.

please blog about it when you get it

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good OP.

Attached: 1523596968389.png (860x600, 686K)

STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX STAX

Attached: 1526030347407.jpg (500x500, 41K)

SRS-3100 or HD600 with the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball?

both

HD600 with a solid state amp.

I see the argon user is unbanned in the old thread and already back to flaming, too bad it was nice with him gone

stax

the stax setup is about twice as good, but it starts you down a dangerous path

0 if you like mud
2 if you like something more sane
5 if you want it brighter
10+ if you like nobass

I tried 10 with Orions, and it was worst sound I've ever heard.

I did 16 and ~100
I liked it

Anyone else in /hpg/ no longer have full sized cans and focus on portable memes? I find most if not all flagships are musically unsatisfying. These FitEars on the other hand are perfectly tuned and have no limp-dick bass like the 009 or treble peaks like the HD800. They don't need super special amps to make them sound good too.

Attached: IMG_20140927_152913.jpg (1184x1600, 932K)

Are they better than ER3SE/XR which are $150-180?

I'm a bit interested in this sort of thing. What player is that? Also, sorry if this sounds weird, but how often do you clean your ears? Do you ever find that earwax is a problem when using IEMs? I've never been a big fan of in-ear stuff due to ear wax issues. Either related to getting wax on them, or just the feeling of plugging my ears with those little rubber things being very uncomfortable and reminding me of having impacted wax.

Even if I don't have the same assessment, I have little use for full-sized headphones.
I think the IEM market is a total clusterfuck, but the ones I have work well enough.

Andromedas are the the only ones that throw a fit when you don't pair them correctly, which is often considered the ideal or intended sound at 1-2 Ohm OI. I mean, you have to impedance match everything you use, but Andros are the only ones from their lineup that are super sensitive to it.

How did I do?

Attached: aaaaa4.png (560x625, 216K)

Does anyone else smile when putting on their Stax?

Shipped never

did dozens of speakers finally collapse on him?

Attached: wallpaperinthedescription.png (225x239, 50K)

The price you pay for the best closed headphones.

Attached: mpv-shot0002.png (1920x1080, 1009K)

???

Stop spamming.

do cheap replacement pads for 600s that do not change sound exist?

AK120 II
Overpriced but one of the better players out there.

Unfortunately no.

>Your parcel will be delivered today

Attached: 1519357700439.png (1280x720, 448K)

Are they any good, /hpg/?

Attached: 5982E431-8F12-4D53-9D7D-1DB2C36D5434.jpg (998x508, 40K)

i think their cheap headphones are really good

Attached: qqaR0Di.jpg (1024x1024, 129K)

curse you jewheiser! why the hell original THIS expensive!

And it's not even memory foam, so they are guaranteed garbage after two years of use.

>AK120 II
Wait, is it actually $1000? That's insane.

I sort of want a set of Pro4As just for the meme factor, haven’t checked the used market yet

The AK100 II should be good enough already.
It can be found used for $300 or so.

Thanks for the info. I'll bookmark both. Is there anything worthwhile at a lower price point, or should I just save up for one of those?

tfw no ma900

Just spreading the happiness user. Why so bitter?

Attached: 1526796820895.gif (229x300, 1.12M)

There's the onkyo/pioneer one. DP-S1 for the onkyo model.
These are about the only ones with a working UI. Sony got a very functional UI too but their output is fucked.

Take them off and give them a bath and massage them.

Attached: b9d.png (327x300, 85K)

Why did you not get one while they was on sale user?

Attached: Bottlehead.jpg (900x600, 49K)

ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-onkyo-dp-s1-rubato-24-bit
Not that guy, but I'm in the market for new DAP. Looking at DP-S1 measurements, it seems slightly worse than DP-X1, especially with balanced outputs compared. Got any on-hand experience with DP-X1 or DP-X1A? Would you recommend it?

Not sure what you mean by that, but the guy's Patreon supporters get access to his videos before he releases them for the general public.

Well there's an unpopular opinion held by no one ever.

Argons?

Literally just buy TAKSTAR pro 82's
Vmoda and Skull Candy are normie fashion acces8

Attached: 1521037317679.jpg (625x415, 42K)

Worse? The plots I'm seeing put in in the margin of error of production. Nothing to be worried over.
Battery seems poor.

Nope, I just use my phone.
At least until cheap daps have useable UIs.

Is the 1% improvement in audio quality worth the extra 4000$ for headphones, and a high quality dac /hpg/???

Attached: HTB12ngsfkCWBuNjy0Faq6xUlXXaC.jpg (405x405, 98K)

YES

I almost bought an X1A. It has a better UI than any other DAPs I looked at, including the A&K which have pretty bad UIs given how much you pay for them. I used one in person in Singapore and also a Granbeat. They're both pretty good, but ultimately I decided against buying one. It just doesn't justify the cost over a portable DAC. I ended up deciding I would buy the LG V30 successor whenever I get my next phone though.

it's much more than a 1% improvement, I see you're back argon user

Well I only spent 2k but yes it was worth it. I use headphones nearly every waking moment as I am always on my desktop, always. I have a couple of headphones i like that I can swap between to get different sounds and half the time I listen to music i'm just marveling at how good it sounds.

post your setup

Attached: headphones3.jpg (1576x1178, 1.2M)

pretty juicy headphones, shame about the dac & amp tho

it works for a little while, then they go semi flat again

I know the dac under performs for it's price, I saw the ASR review, but I bought it because it matches the magni 3 which I wanted. The modi noise floor is apparently -90db which I can't hear.
I'll probably replace both one day.

yea the awkward thing about replacing something like that is you have to spend a fair amount for it to be worth it, and then at that point it's a pretty expensive purchase. have you considered the rme dac that's been posted here a lot?

If I had the spare money that would be the one I'd get for sure. It's awesome.
Good thing about schiit is that it's like Apple in that it has pretty solid resale value.