Have you thanked Microsoft today, freetards?

Have you thanked Microsoft today, freetards?

bgr.com/2016/11/16/microsoft-linux-foundation-2016-donation/

>As a platinum member, Microsoft has committed to donating a minimum of $500,000 annually to the advancement and open source development of many different projects.

Attached: 0CB4F122-4A7B-4E5E-8FED-FE1D49345DF3.jpg (640x394, 31K)

Wow $500,000. That's the yearly pay of almost 2 whole developers.

If it was true, windows would be good.

Windows isn't their primary product. Azure is.

>Wow $500,000. That's the yearly pay of almost 2 whole developers.
Or 20 pajeet developers

>a minimum

Look at recent things Microsoft has done, like the Linix subsystem. They are aggressively taking the best bits of Linux and implementing it in their product. When Linus dies expect them to take an even bigger chunk out, probably to the tune of releasing their own distro - which will eventually become the dominant distro as it will appeal to normies because of the branding and amount of money put into its development.

Personally a Microsoft branded distro which allows me to play vidya and use photoshop sounds like a dream, but it will be the death knell for the FSF.

fds

A microsoft created Linux distro sounds kinda cool actually. The only thing stopping me from switching outright is the inability to use photoshop and play video games.

E M B R A C E
X
T
E X T I N G U I S H
N
D

Attached: virtuagirl.gif (232x344, 100K)

And what’s wrong with that if the end product improves?

In the meantime you can always use the Subsystem for Windows, it’s built into Windows 10 and is pretty great. There are a range of distros built available. It’s basically just all the best bits of Linux available for your Windows machine. Best of both worlds.

Attached: D2C0F951-24E1-4049-AEAB-E6BB06812364.jpg (1920x1080, 582K)

XKDE uses 100k a year lol retard

It's GPL, mate. Good luck with that.

>the end product improves?
sure show me 1 case of this happening in history

It's as shitty as a solution can get. In some tasks it's even slower than the fucking virtualbox. I'm not kidding, look it up on phoronix

Also, literally no one in the fucking world gives a shit about the windicks subsystem for linux, 90% of its users are a bunch of oldfag boomers stuck in their cubicles still thinking that they're using windows XP with different graphics (which is not so far from truth, actually) - given that they know what an OS is.

Because of GPL they'd have to keep it free as in freedom. Which means that they could just write their own non-GNU, barely POSIX-compliant (pajeet docet) userspace, their own graphics suite and market it as the second coming of XP. Which is kind of what apple does with mac OS X, but with people actually giving a fuck about that kernel for other purposes. Hopefully.

Or - more likely scenario - they'd just buy it, announce EOL for its public support and close the sources, someone would fork it and maintain it (badly), and we'd basically go back 20 years, when no one gives a fuck about linux again and microsoft is the only one that has a rotten but kinda functioning OS.

It has begun.
Phase 2 of "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish".

Attached: ie.jpg (640x755, 57K)

microsoft has had a linux distro since 1999

>i want microsofts dick in my ass

yea you can bet your ass RMS is sweating watching every product they release making sure they abide by it.

People actually are.
Do you seriously think people are blind to this sort of shit? Do you think they could get away with the Linux kernel itself; the open source project with a ridiculous number of people watching it?

yea I wasn't joking. I know there have been a few cases of big companies stealing OSS shit and getting caught

Once again, if the end result is better Embrace, Extend, Extinguish is a viable market strategy

> - t. Microshaft

What most of you apparently dont realise is that Microsoft have been doing this for decades. They are in partnership with SUSE. Their object is to develop better network servers and protocols enabling windows and Linux to co-operate better across networks. Microsoft invented the SMB protocol which linux users know as Samba. They spend vastly more than that $500,000 on the project with SUSE and most of their work finishes up as Open Source.

Attached: main-qimg-c08e76932df14867d678e1c6417aaf8a.png (602x339, 145K)

>tfw microsoft has done more for free software than rms

Kek

Being slower doesnt really matter when you consider the other benefits that come with the Windows Subsystem. Ironically, running Linux on Windows is the best way to run Linux.

MS would kill Linux in an instant, if they could.
Look what they did in the past with competitiors.

Big software companies are no friendly people.
That's why they are big.

Not really.

You have to do a hell of a hackery to even get X running. It's possible but very difficult.
Also many command don't even run.

After the last MS update bash didn't even start anymore and I had to disable/restart/enable it on Windows to make it run again.

The only good thing is that it feels really good to rice Linux on a Windows machine, because you can forget about running many Programming languages on Windows (and nobody takes powershell seriously unless he has to work with it). But it's way less comfortable than running native Linux.

>thanking MS for embrace, extend, extinguish
fuck off, pajeet