/mpv/ vs /madvr/

Attached: mpvormadvr.jpg (3653x3039, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/c5e4538bc4b63f02bf89f62aa25a37b9eb0c0316
pastebin.com/SNUcUh2D
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/05b392bc94
kaangenc.me/mpv/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Proprietary garbage
How is that even a question?

>current foss is cancer
do you really want to die?

madvr -> perfection for HDR
mpv -> too many backends/platforms makes essential thing like HDR support a hell

Fuck off madshi

Madshi is a doom9 retard not a Jow Forums fag.

B-but madshi and math genius will release the faster/better than SVP motion interpolation algo!

Keep calm and join the force!

this.

Crossplatformists are retards!

Damn, madshi is haasn.
This guy have multiple personalities.

baka player is comfy

Useless...

>no ui
>no settings
vs
>ui
>settings
>just works
easy choice

who's this math genius you're referring to?

Attached: 1524927107797.jpg (356x356, 35K)

The one madshi hired to work on his algorithms.

Eh, you can pick a UI yourself and it'll expose configurable settings.

madvr is perfection for upscaling too

Both shit placebo

No, mpv has similar capabilities and is better with vulkan features. Remember madVR is still a d3d9 shit.

>no ui = no settings

Attached: brainlet.jpg (1838x2048, 129K)

Placebo is for low-end GPU.
Buy a $100+ GPU and enjoy your playback experience.

did you forgot where you are?
most of faggots around like to fuck with console and config files

If you are an /a/ crossboarder and don't know shit about computers, madvr is the way to go. Now go back.

Nice try but by following your shitty advice they will end using VLC because madVR is a mess.

>these threads

Attached: vlc vs vlc.jpg (1468x696, 236K)

MPC seems a lot more useful

I think there's a bit of confusion here. madshi said he was not a math genius himself, so he hired someone to help with a new algorythm he was working on. He didn't say that the person he hired was a math genius. He just said that he himself was *not* a math genius.

Also, as far as I know, the person he hired was only hired for one new algorythm, not for any other madVR algorythms.

when you need a playlist, it's not useless

Ironically shitty anime like this is where mpv and madvr shine

where do you learn about latest news regarding madvr? i visited his site but it was very brief. does he have twitter or something?

>using anything other than mpv
go back to /a/ faggot

You can search for madshi's posts in the doom9 thread. The thread is awfully long, but if you just search for madshi's posts, it's ok.

There is no good reason to use mpv on windows.

If it's TayTay endorsed then it's good enough for me.

oh, okay. i got some time to kill. thanks.

>mpv has no settings
Get a load of this smoothbrain.

mpv is much better.
>easily uses your ICC profile (couldn't make madvr to use mine even though I'm a madvr expert)
>has reclock like ability to prevent dropped frames (no need to setup custom resolutions like in madvr)
>has superior interpolation options
>any scaler you want
>any shader you want
>better HDR to SDR tone mapping
And many more. I switched to mpv 9 months ago and never looked back.

Most of the well known calibration tools (like Calman, ArgyllCMS, DisplayCAL, LightSpace) support madVR directly and can create 3DLUTs specifically for madVR, which should have equal or better quality compared to ICC profiles.

Reclock like ability sucks because it results in the loss of bitstreaming ability, plus is comes with an audio quality hit (resampling costs quality). That said, custom resolutions are hard to setup, and GPU drivers sometimes act up. So it's not a perfect solution, either.

More Interpolation options: Yes. Superior? I don't think so. They all blur/blend a lot more than madVR's interpolation mode, which means softer and more ghosting.

Any scaler/shader you want: Scalers/shaders don't magically create themselves. Somebody still has to develop them. And currently I'm not aware of any user made scalers/shaders that are better than what madVR offers. E.g. NGU Sharp still has a quality vs performance edge over FSRCNN-X for me.

Better HDR to SDR tone mapping? You must be kidding!!! Either that, or you don't know what you're talking about.

Oversample is same shit as your smoothmotion, madshi. And haasns tone mapping is definitely better.

Getting MPV to work with shaderc and vulkan under Arch is a fucking nightmare. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone

[vo/opengl-cb] No context set.
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (--vo) device.

Any ideas?

I'm over here with segfaults on vulkan this man can't get opengl to work. Run it with --gpu-debug -log-file=./log and post a paste of the log. Over the last 24 hours I've gotten much better at debugging damn MPV than I would like

--gpu-debug -log-file=~/Desktop

isn't generating a log file.

I just paid for SVP Pro and it upscales Dragon Ball Super and Darling in the Franxx to 1440p 144hz very well.

Try giving it a full name or something I think it's a bug.

I've gotten it to generate a log, just looking through it myself now, will paste soon.

It's a 3MB text file with my real name all through it. Is there a specific section I should be looking for that would be of use?

>opengl-cb
what are you doing? what's in your config?
does it play with --no-config?

Plays fine with no-config or my own config without that line.
The reason I'm trying to use it is because a bunch of macOS issues were fixed in this commit github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/c5e4538bc4b63f02bf89f62aa25a37b9eb0c0316 that uses it but it just generates that error message when trying to use it.

Just use iina.

I think i might have found a bug in vulkan-radeon , this tell anyone anything?
pastebin.com/SNUcUh2D

Is he working on something to replace reclock/customres aka a motion interpolation algorithm?

So why did he hire a not math genius to work on a thing for a math genius?

What happened to mpv's subtitle scaling? I'm currently using the geometry setting to set the mpv window to 960x1050 so that it fills half of my screen but for some reason the subtitles are nearly as big as they are in fullscreen as you can see in the left picture (I assume this has something to do with the 1050 window height). On the right you can see how it's supposed to look.

mpv seems to know how the subtitles are supposed to look because when I take a screenshot with subtitles in them they're displayed correctly even though they are currently displayed incorrectly in the mpv window (both of the screenshots are taken from the same window, left with ctrl+s and right with just s)

Attached: [Bunny_Hat_Raw]Sailor_Moon_SuperS_128_(365DBD21)_00_00_10.886.png (1600x1050, 1.91M)

sub-scale-with-window=no

Thanks, it worked! I guess something with mpv changed because I didn't need that option before.

3DLUTS:
>can only be a 3DLUT
>limited precision due to size constraints, large disk usage needed all the time
>needs to be provided for every different colorspace, or alternatively needs additional pre-processing (less optimal, more loss)
>only works for one specific program
>NIH, clandestine ad-hoc formats developed without forethought
>generally doesn't store metadata

ICC profiles:
>can be a 3DLUT, matrix+shaper, pure matrix or some other form of purely mathematical profile or combination thereof
>high precision tables can be generated, small disk usage for the profile itself
>single profile can be used to generate the optimal 3DLUT for _any_ color space, no loss of precision, high quality pre-processing supported
>universal, accepted by every major graphics program, produced by every major calibration software
>flexible and future-oriented, supports both XYZ and L*ab, supports high quality HDR natively (floating point)
>stores lots of metadata about the display (e.g. luminance information, reverse mapping tables, ...)
>can be loaded automatically from the system (colord, X atoms, windows CMS APIs)
>standardized and been around since before madVR existed

>Also on my roadmap is GPU-accelerated motion interpolation (like SVP or MVtools but fast and free).
When?

Niklas bitte

soon I hope...

>wm4 wants to merge 99 commits
its happening

Is there a way to tell if a commit is in your mpv version?

mpv --v
[cplayer] Command line options: '--v'
[cplayer] mpv 0.28.0-572-g05b392bc94
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/commit/05b392bc94

how can you listen to music with mpv? How can you manage a playlist?

>use your terminal
>use a playlist script
>use an mpv frontend

Pick your poison

Tay is so perfect

Attached: 43hpM1VtRbfj8bjZ.webm (720x1280, 2.96M)

Can someone tell me the best options to watch anime on mpv?

profile=gpu-hq
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
tscale=oversample

# Rico's mpv configuration file for ceylon
# Optimized for watching anime, using JINC scaling filter (ewa_lanczos)
###########
# General #
###########

save-position-on-quit
msg-module # prepend module name to log messages
msg-color # color log messages on terminal
term-osd-bar # display a progress bar on the terminal
keep-open=yes # play the next file in folder, or exit
autofit-larger=70%x65% # resize window in case it's larger than W%xH% of the screen
deinterlace=yes # manually set!
cursor-autohide-fs-only # don't autohide the cursor in window mode, only fullscreen
cursor-autohide=1000 # autohide the curser after 1s
script-opts=osc-layout=box,osc-seekbarstyle=bar
video-output-levels=full

screenshot-format=png
screenshot-png-compression=8
screenshot-template='~/Desktop/%F (%P) %n'

hls-bitrate=max # use max quality for HLS streams
ytdl-format=bestvideo[height

>saving shit to desktop
grandma tier

you made her delete her post you bully

sheeeeeeeeeit

Love you no homo, I just read about those settings in the wiki. Thanks

also add this if your hardware can handle it
scale=ewa_lanczos

Just curious, why this over lanczossharp?

no reason really, go for lanczossharp if your rig can handle it

where's the new smoothmotion algorithm?

Time to update!

Not soon. It took madshi like two years to implement FSRCNN... BTW it's probably gonna be madvr Pro exclusive.

You're wrong though.

He probably hired somebody who's just good enough at math to do what he needed.

Size constraints? Large disk usage? Are you serious!? In today's times where *one* ripped Blu-Ray movie consumes around 30000MB, you're worried about a 100MB 3DLUT??

You're right about some of the advantages of ICC profiles. But please consider that exactly because one ICC profile can be used to generate 3DLUTs for any color space, the generated 3DLUTs will not be optimal. In order for ICC profiles to create truely optimized 3DLUTs, the ICC profiles would have to store thousands of measurements of the target display, spread across the largest supported gamut, and making use of that data to create a "perfect" 3DLUT for any given situation would take minutes or hours. Which, AFAIK, how it works with ICC profiles.

Furthermore, depending on the display, it might be necessary to switch the display into different modes for different situations to get the best possible results. E.g. projectors usually have a (hardware) color filter which needs to be moved into the light path to be able to cover larger gamuts. So you can't always use the same ICC profile, after all.

Calibration tools like Calman, AryllCMS etc take thousands of measurements and then calculate offline for a long time (minutes or even hours) to create one 3DLUT for madVR. Yes, it's only for madVR, and it's limited to one color space and one display etc. But it's carefully optimized for exactly that situation, so I'd say it's likely to beat ICC profiles in quality.

P.S: Meant to write: "Which, AFAIK, is not how it works with ICC profiles".

Ignore these idiots, anyone that's even remotely interested in consuming high-quality media should be fully aware that both madvr and mpv are good options that bring a lot to the table.

With mpv I can use my downloaded from internet ICC profile with 1 line in config file without installing any additional software. In madvr YOU CANT.

Any idea on when 0.29 will be released?

can you get motion vector interpolation (SVP-like) on mpv? the wiki and arch reference dont mention it being possible

i just dont want to use SVP it's disgustingly proprietary

True. Unfortunately a "downloaded from internet ICC profile" is rarely useful. It might even make things worse for you. E.g. if you buy the same LCD display twice, you can't even be sure both will be using the same panel! Some TV manufacturers have multiple different panel providers. Furthermore, if an ICC profile was made with different settings (color, contrast, gamut etc) than your display is using, you'll get totally incorrect results.

The only way to get truely reliable calibration results is to buy a meter and measure & calibrate your display yourself (or to hire a professional to do it for you).

guyse, it's x265-12bit worth it or should I just stick to 10bit?

Haasn is not mad enough to understand it.

You can use vpy scripts with mpv (I believe it needs to be compiled with support so check up on that) which will be able to do this. I remember trying this one out like a year ago and it worked well kaangenc.me/mpv/
There's other solutions too, I just know this one at least used to work.
x264 8-bit

>x264
I've heard that x264 is better than x265 for large filesizes but x265 outclasses x264 in small filesize. my question is, I see a lot of 10bit encodes and no 12 bits. is there a reason to this?

You seriously think a properly calibrated monitor with a proper icc profile isnt better than calibrated monitor with 3DLUT? lol

Attached: level of plebbit.png (888x1840, 143K)

>I've heard that x264 is better than x265 for large filesizes but x265 outclasses x264 in small filesize
Correct, x265 can shine in some areas however when it comes to all-round transparency (i.e the encode looking near identical to the source) x264 takes the cake in almost every scenario.
>I see a lot of 10bit encodes and no 12 bits. is there a reason to this?
What you're probably seeing is x264 10-bit, which I believe is basically a hack. I don't believe x264 was ever made with 10bit in mind, and the only time it's ever relevant is if you're filtering your encodes with tools such as fk3db. 10-bit allows the filtering to be done at a much more precise level, which benefits Anime mostly, however it has the downside of killing hwdec - as the client has to convert 10-bit back to 8-bit, x265 has an advantage here as 10-bit x265 can be hardware accelerated.
As for why you don't see 12-bit releases, I'm willing to bet it's simply because x264 has no support for 12-bit. We may see 12-bit x265 releases in the future though, I'm sure someone out there is experimenting on something. I doubt it'll ever be relevant though.

did she get ass implants?

Interesting, I'm actually using fk3db to fix some banding.

No I mean, you go to nyaa and type hevc and most transcodes are 8 or 10bit and not 12 bit. So I was wondering if 12bit isn't really necessary for low bitrate x265 encodes.

maybe she did insane workout for butt muscles?

Possibly, I'm not entirely sure (nobody is) because x265 is so relatively unknown.
If you search around maybe you could find something on doom9 or the anime equivalent (whatever the hell that is)