/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com
gizmochina.com/2018/05/21/lenovo-z5-camera-samples-appear-stamped-with-ai-dual-camera-watermark/

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Attached: lz5.png (456x642, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-resurrection-remix-v5-8-0-t3507378
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why shouldn't I buy a pixel 2?

Ordered a Redmi 5 Plus

Gonna be comfy as fuck

Hopefully the lack of LTE won't be such an issue, I can't get full LTE bandwidth where I live and work anyway so I'll expect similar bandwidth from HSPA

Because google.

>tfw bought phone from China
>might to pay duties
>expect $350 cad bux total after taxes and duties
>specs/benchmarks blow everything out of the water at this price range, also compete with phones at $700-1000 cad bux

Shits unreal

You should've checked before ordering. There are links in the OP.

Because $650

I did, but I'm grandfathered into my current carrier and can't get the same or better plan literally anywhere else.

Too expensive.

No headphone jack
Not as water/dust resistant as others
No expandable storage
Not guaranteed long update support, see pixel 1
Worse battery
No wireless charging

Could go on, though it should be fairly clear that Google is lazy with their flagship compared to others. Stay a pixel 2 against Galaxy so or lg v30 and it falls apart.

Attached: Snapchat-324252469.jpg (1439x2559, 849K)

Never had a flagship before, the only advantage today is the camera right?
I am tempted to get the S9 since I have a 140€ gift card from amazon. I could get it for 434€ should I?

Yes, that's a steal

>$$$$$$$$
>no auxiliary jack
>no expandable memory
>software has limited customization for AOS device (can't even reverse nav buttons)
imo they're the main negatives. if they don't bother you then there's nothing to stop you.
might be worth noting that a new one is scheduled to be announced in August which will either let the Pixel 2's price drop or give you a newer device to move onto.

I thought I'd ask here for better feedback.
For those that use Android phones with skins, like Samsung, HTC, Huawei, etc...
Have you noticed this?
>"Ok Google, Turn On battery saver"
>The phone enters into a power saver mode that's more proficient than the power saver supplied by the skin of the manufacture.

Attached: 1516088870733.jpg (768x960, 103K)

>"battery saver"
>still continues wasting battery on running an always-on wiretap connected to Google servers and the NSA

poorfag saving up for s9 here
wont be able to afford one until the end of august, I wonder how much it'll cost by then

If you need to "save" for a gimmicky overpriced flagship, you have every reason to go chink.

Looking to get a new phone
>Australia
>Don't care about price as long as it's not overly expensive
>Either large storage or expandable memory
>good battery life

if chink phones looked that good i'd get one
could always get an s8 but why not go for a bit of future proofing you know?

>if chink phones looked that good i'd get one
Mi Mix 2/s looks pretty fucking good.

not with that massive chin lad

You prefer notches?

Is the Xiaomi Mi A1 any good? Decent specs and long term support with clean android for just $200.

Iphone x is better

Any good phones in the US for $100 or less?

Attached: 1526871494831.jpg (3152x2211, 528K)

Anyone got problems with their N7+ after the 8.1 update? Occasionally it stops registering touches and I have to lock and unlock it for it to work again.

I prefer symmetry obviously
the s9 might fragile and the edge meme is silly but it looks incredible

It's a curved abomination.
Chin > curved shit > NOTCH'd.

Go for redmi note 5 or xiami 6x (probably MI A2).

You can get a better price than 200, and it's great for the price, nothing comes close

yeah ok big boy
enjoy the chin on your 'bezel less' phone that wont be supported in a year

I have 600 euro to spend on a smartphone and I can't decide between S9 and OP6.
Or should I wait for new xiaomi phones?
help me pls

>enjoy the chin on your 'bezel less' phone that wont be supported in a year
You've just described S9.

t. guy with a phone that has a massive chin
the design is fucked pal, stop shilling your chinkphone

t. Samshit shill
Golly do I love some exploding batteries.

no you don't, you love having bad taste and shilling a phone you don't like because you can't return it

I just bought a Oneplus 6 earlier today

Tell me how hard I fucked up

Fuck off shill

Pls give purchasing advice
>Country
USA
>Carrier
Verizon
>Wanted Features
Preferably with space 64-128 included in the phone and supports SD cards
Relatively modern and nice looking
>Budget
$300 is how high i'd like to go but i can be talked up to $100 more if the phone is better than other phones in my budget.
>Size
As big as Samsung Phones

>Tell me how hard I fucked up
>Shill

Attached: 1063181.jpg (400x400, 75K)

Nokia 7+

>Verizon
>all those requirements
>Verizon
Yeah, you're fucked bud

I bought one too. I'm using a Nexus 5 right now. Had a Nexus 6P that Google replaced with a Pixel XL, but I hated it so I gave it to my mom.

Don't listen to the Nokia shills. Most Nokia phones don't have a lot of the lte bands in USA and you're on fucking Verizon, so I doubt you can even use Nokia phones.

Attached: Capture.png (840x417, 101K)

The only Nokia that does is the 6 and the new 6.1, Verizon is a fucking joke for BYOD so user's fucked

Verizon isn't a good choice? I don't necessarily know my phone carrier's well, so if there's another i can choose that will get me a good phone I'll take it

Attached: 1523970661443.jpg (292x372, 18K)

Locked bootloaders

Attached: 1526003781934.jpg (500x489, 24K)

The GSM carriers and the prepaid services that use their networks are what you want i.e. AT&T and T-Mobile
The CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon and their prepaid services are the worst because phones have to be made specifically for their networks and they usually blacklist phones between the post and prepaid services unlike the GSM carriers who don't
You can use unlocked phones and carrier specific phones on T-Mo, AT&T and the prepaids that use their LTE bands

Does the XA2 feel huge coming from X compact? I hope it's not.

Why Sony keep fucking up?
XZ3 will go back to the root r-right?

Attached: Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium.png (794x266, 229K)

Are there any decent android phones that aren't huge as fuck mongoloids these days? I'm still using a One Plus X but would like to upgrade at some point. I abhor large phones though.

You are right about bootloaders, but all Verizon LTE phones come fully unlocked. You don't even have to pay it off.

Should i get the HTC One M8 in the current year 2018 soon to be 2019? Can't find anything decent and cheap that's 5" or smaller.

I can get a cheap refurb one and it seems to have good LineageOS support, nice design along with carrying a SD801 which i assume is enough for basic phone shit/shitposting/whatsapp. Every review of the M8 is basically "hurr the camera is shit" but i haven't used a phone camera in years so i don't care about that.

How much extra storage can I squeeze out of a Verizon Galaxy S4 by removing bloatware, running a custom rom, etc.? Sorage space is my only real gripe with this phone.
If I can't get that much extra space, then:
>Country
Burgerland
>Carrier
Verizon
>Wanted features
-As fast as a Galaxy S4 but with a better storage to bloatware ratio
-Newer camera API that does manual shutter speeds for video
-An OLED or comparable screen would be nice,
>Budget
Preferably under $300
>Size
Around 5"

Attached: galaxy s4.jpg (680x407, 39K)

Just bought a j7 pro then I learned samsung now launched a6 in my country. Saw the price was just a little more expensive than j7 pro, please convince me I didnt fuck up...

You fucked up buying samshit

How poor do you have to be to ask about a Galaxy S4?

>That feel when I'm still using one.

Your best bet is to install Resurrection Remix on it. I've found Lineage OS to be too buggy.

What phone
>swiss
>salt
>don't care about notch (there or not), decent battery
>decent camera, around 6''
>500-700$

Yeah no, they're carrier locked to Verizon
Also LTE bands are different, AT&T has the same coverage as Verizon and the same speeds depending on your area

What bands? 1/3/7/20? Fuck man take your pick of chinkphone

What's the best way to keep up to date with modding news regarding the Redmi Note 5? Mine is hopefully arriving tomorrow and I just know I'm going to want to get stock android as quickly as possible.

Are there even any stable ROMs for it yet?

Attached: Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-5-99-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-574049-.jpg (1000x1000, 113K)

>Micro USB
Hahahahhaha
That shit won't be used anymore for in two or three years

Attached: 1526898452755.jpg (606x654, 118K)

XDA

im pretty fucking happy with my unlocked moto g5 plus. 250 follars, unlocked, runs pretty great. for a ton of people here buying samshit or whatever, this one is worth it even with the slow-as-fuck update to Oreo

>slow as fuck
user, didn't you hear? The New G6 lineup has Oreo!

sharp aquos S3

I went to the OnePlus 6 popup, but I didn't buy anything.

pajeet developers

do you have custom phone case? post a pic I wanna see

Attached: 45a0d1cc7efef31643bc0368526b3d01.jpg (1000x667, 195K)

What's the verdict on the Essential Phone currently? It's $500 and it seems like a good buy to me, I don't mind the notch either.

I don't need a case

They don't, but only because they are legally not allowed to.

verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

ATT locks their bootloader like Verizon. Sprint doesn't, but nocoverage. T-Mobile is also nocoverage.

report back to one of these threads with pics of the nylon case, from what i've seen online i might pick one up as well

POO IN THE LOO

>Micro USB
>Hahahahhaha
>That shit won't be used anymore for in two or three years
I never understood the objection to this, especially given that adapters are available and fast charging is still supported on micro USB ports. No one who posted about the topic here cared to expand on it.

POO

>tfw i'm actually a slav

Attached: 1514363322705.jpg (293x264, 13K)

user please help which phone around that price range has usb c :(
i'm desperate

I mean case, cover anything like that

Xioami A1 or Mi Max 2 right now
I guess A2 will be coming out soon so that

>t. guy with a phone that has a massive chin
>the design is fucked pal, stop shilling your chinkphone
The only characteristic of a smartphone you care about is design? Congratulations, you've singled out yourself as a target market for Apple and I guess Samsung now. Not to mention that you're implying to know which phone an anonymous poster with a different opinion has.

POO

why is the Note 4 goat?

notchlets, when will they learn?

>236g

that's a big phone

>Resurrection Remix
Just checked the downloads page, can't find anything for a Galaxy S4.
I take it that means that I have to compile the soruce code?

USB type C has:
-Faster data transfer capabilities of up to 1.5 GBps[Technically...]
-Better power output with a maximum output of around 100W
-Reversability
-Grip lasts longer (After year of use usb type c will require more force to be pulled out of a device and won't slide out)
-More types of usage
So it's just better overall.
And micro usb is dying out.. In 5-6 years you'll have a hard time getting it without ordering from China.
Why would you choose the inferior version?

Attached: 1526782408708.jpg (409x409, 50K)

What model do you have I'll get you something.

jebo ti bog mater

I finally cracked my screen, looking to replace my Moto Z Play.

Looking for something with
>USB-C
>good battery life
>headphone jack
>best value for my money
>Works in the USA
>Budget is $200-$400

If you have the i9505 Galaxy S4, try this:

forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4/i9505-develop/rom-resurrection-remix-v5-8-0-t3507378

>Why would you choose the inferior version?
Because phones which include USB type C generally include gimmicks or lack micro SD card slots, 3.5mm jacks, have locked bootloaders and are mostly overpriced. Is the greater power output even useful for smartphones and QC 3.0?

Nokia 6.1 if you're not on VZW or Sprint

Huawei Honor 8

Thank you!
SCH-I545

Just a couple of questions I have:
How likely am I to brick my phone doing this?
and
Is there a way to transfer all my phone's current data to the new OS?

Attached: 1525633844093.png (3076x1632, 625K)

quite frankly yes, all I care about is the design hence my lack of an apple or chink phone

If you want, but Samsung phones like the note 4 and s5 are better to buy used because of their removable batteries, and the screens are also a lot nicer. They'll cost the same too, of not less.

Yikes, that phone is not very well supported at all by the ROM community.

Is iphone se worth buying in 2018?
should I just buy xiaomi mi a1?

been using android sine 2010, is it worth trying ios.
iphone se seems compact and cozy, meanwhile mi a1 is like 5.5'' and seems kinda too big for a pocket.

Is a redmi note 4 worth it despite no usb c?

Removable battery and 2k amoled screen. It was the last of the great large all-around good phones.