Set image as background in Gnome

>set image as background in Gnome
>It creates a duplicate of the image
>This is one of the most popular Linux DEs
What the fuck?

Attached: neice.jpg (643x562, 80K)

What's wrong with that? That way if you delete the original image you won't lose your background.
Of all the stupid stupid shit in gnome, this one seems innocuous.

>I have no tits
I can clearly see clothed titties. Explain.

>duplicates
>"what is a symlink?"

Citation needed.

this op is retarded

You hate an image so bad you want to delete it, but SOMEHOW you're fine with it remaining as your wallpaper? The fuck?

If anything that's even more annoying. If I delete an image that's also my wallpaper I'm probably so sick of it I never want to see it again. Why the fuck would you want to keep it?

>You hate an image so bad you want to delete it, but SOMEHOW you're fine with it remaining as your wallpaper? The fuck?
I dunno man what if I delete everything in my unsorted downloads folder, and that image happens to be there? If I want to change my desktop image I can do that.

IMO, being able to set a custom wallpaper destroys gnome's brand identity. This feature should be removed since it represents an extremely niche use case and I don't use it anyways.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1507617651374.jpg (700x519, 74K)

>I dunno man what if I delete everything in my unsorted downloads folder, and that image happens to be there?

It should disappear. You should've known not to keep a permanent wallpaper in a temporary folder.

use the tweak tool to set your wallpapers instead

>click "set as background" in browser
>temp gets cleaned on boot/is on a ramdisk
>wallpaper is gone
Yes op, this seems like the right choice. I'm sure the project leaders will gladly accept your patch

Who cares though? I don't need to store it anywhere in particular in this case, because Gnome made a copy of it.

>probably
You want your environment to make assumptions for you?
What if you simply move the image? Perhaps you're reorganizing your photos, and your wallpaper is moved from one directory to another. Should your wallpaper break then?
In short, kys.

>what if i move my config files? should stuff break?

Attached: 1521904674691.png (600x600, 122K)

>gnome works like crap
you don't say

protip: if you want wayland you use weston /works/ or sway /may not work/
if you want X use whatever you want openbox i3 recommended

And in this case nothing will break because your desktop environment copies the image to the right location.

systemd duplicates everything

What is a Hard link?

Attached: typical_gamer_girl.gif (209x172, 87K)

Girls have started wearing shirts that say tits because they want people to look at their tits. Do you require further explanation?

Something that shouldn't be used here, unless they want to throw their GVfs/GIO compatibility straight into the trash.

Ubuntu and Fedora.

This person needs to fuck right off.

>Perhaps you're reorganizing your photos, and your wallpaper is moved from one directory to another. Should your wallpaper break then?

Then your wallpaper should remain intact as it does in Windows. Honestly, you're a retard if you think this is anything more than programmers taking the easy route rather than the functional one.

Attached: keksimusmaximus.jpg (596x628, 45K)

>What is a Hard link?
An abomination.

>What the fuck?

>Use computers long enough to learn what Linux is and install it on your computer
>Still surprised when popularity isn't a good predictor of software quality.

What the fuck?

Attached: 1525879677568.jpg (730x545, 31K)

how do you think windows does it if not duplicating it?

this lmao literally "I don't see it so it so it doesn't happen"

+1

Fucking idiot

Why would it be on /tmp? Download it to the default location and set it on the background.

OP didn't even mention a browser.

/thread

this sounds almost like a personal experience. who hurt you user?

Windows also makes a copy of the image you fucking cro-magnon

Does it place the copy right next to the original image?

Are you daft, punk?

>girl has blouse with suggestive message
>look and get arrested for rape by looking
>don't look and get arrested for being a dangerous incel
You loose every time

Unironically this because I want to see gnome fags defend this unironically

>shit that has never happened, the post

GVFS/GIO along with FUSE is one of the good things about Gnome
Xfce and Thunar support it and it's great
Before GVFS remote shares was a big mess
Now even non terminal programs can access them
KDE any other DE is out of the race as long they don't support GVFS

You are right, I'm sorry for my post, it wasn't good, I should man up and don't believe internet memes
Thank you for your post

Not sure how that's related to not using hardlinks, but yeah. And KDE has KIO, which is like GVfs but _way_ better.

I wanted to praise the only good thing that came from the late gnome 2 era
I can't think anything else good to say about gnome 3
Does KIO support fuse mounts for simple programs that don't link to kio libraries?
I remember reading it doesn't and therefore it's inferior to GVFS and imo useless

kiofuse is a thing and there are primitive wrappers that create temp files as well.

Thanks

When was the last time you left the house?

You sound retarded for a Linux user.

It's a standard feature of literally every other desktop environment, and it's not THAT niche. I don't know very many people who still use their default wallpaper on any computer system.

winshit and macshit do the same thing, what's the problem?

But do they put the copy in the same folder as the original with the same filename but with copy in the end?

>filename
explain

>niece.jpg