High end chipset

>High end chipset
>FireWire
>lots of native usb 2.0 for compatibility along with 3.0 ports
>8+2 phase or better
>matte black as fuck
>utilitarian styling
>heatsinks screwed on not pushpinned
What's your ideal motherboard, Jow Forums?

Attached: er_photo_161632.jpg (800x461, 623K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8370-and-8370e-processor-review,4.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why does it only have one ps/2 port?

Anything Supermicro

You can split the single din port to 2 PS/2 sockets

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x900, 48K)

So one would need a separate purchase to simply use a mouse and keyboard simultaneously?

I wish they'd make a "workstation" threadripper mobo. I don't want an Epyc rack server and the consumer TR boards are all gamer stuff that I wouldn't trust to work with ECC memory.

It's a little dumb of a purchase but at least you can enjoy the benefits of n key rollover and less lag because that shit is telling the system what to do at the processor level.

They really only put the single port because they figure the 2 extra USB ports would be more useful than having 2 PS/2 ports as most people who are still using PS/2 peripherals are just going to be using a keyboard with a USB mouse. If you really need a PS/2 mouse there is the splitter or get a motherboard with the 2 ports already which are getting rare

I know how a keyboard and mouse work, user. The point is that you need a separate purchase just to use them in tandem, which is ridiculous.

>Z68
>high-end
But that's wrong, user.

>buying Gigakyke

Attached: big_1515829101_image.jpg (1280x720, 198K)

I refuse to believe that anyone would stoop so low as to use USB mice and keyboards.

Majority of people use USB KB+M nowadays. If I had the option to buy PS/2 versions of the stuff I had I would have.

Who cares? you virgin loser.

623 KB JPG
>High end chipset
>FireWire
>lots of native usb 2.0 for compatibility along with 3.0 ports
>8+2 phase or better
>matte black as fuck
>utilitarian styling
>heatsinks screwed on not pushpinned
I know FX is terrible with the single core, but my board fits right in those.

Attached: 20180501_143010.jpg (780x948, 693K)

What is that thing on the top right where it says gigabyte?

Those chipset sinks are less bad than you usually see nowadays, but they're still awful. The diagonal lines look terrible, and they're too flat on the top, when they should be open to expose fin area to airflow. See these silver things? This is how a chipset heatsink should look. This is how you get maximum heat dissipation for a given volume. These are short because they need to fit under expansion cards, but make the fins taller and you can run heatpipes through them and use them for northbridges and VRMs.

Also compare them to the NB sink on that Gigabyte board. Both are oriented for airflow in one direction, but these have the horizontal fins interrupted so that if the airflow isn't precisely along the axis, the heatsink isn't useless. The gigabyte doesn't have that, the heatsink will be ineffective if the airflow is top-bottom instead of front-back. (as will happen if you install a blowdown cooler)

Attached: 1332370607344.jpg (284x253, 31K)

>FireWire
Wtf for? That shit is worthless these days.

I like having firewire on the board because it ones less card in the system to use my Canon HV40 as a broadcast monitor, MiniDV may be outdated but that camera is still glorious and cost a pretty penny back in 2010 when I got it.

>it ones
It's one less*

>broadcast monitor
Broadcast camera***

Hard work this morning has me fucked up.

I know they're shitty stylish heatsinks, but they freaking work, you could daily a 1.55v Vishera with this and not have issues.

Getting close but still not completely right.
The thinner the fins the better. The Aorus X470 got it right for the VRM heatsinks. By making the fins even thinner heat can dissipate even faster while maintaining the same heat conductivity to the base of the heatsink.

These are also an example of running heatpipes through the heatsink which make spreading the heat out more evenly so it can be cooled even easier. Of course these wouldn't fit under an expansion card. However in this case they don't need to be and this is some great design. It's just a shame the rest of the board looks like a led circus and it's missing a PS/2 port.

Attached: wJkp60WO2Zw56ePt.jpg (1616x1080, 418K)

>Gaming board
>No PS/2
I don't even game or use PS/2 but anyone who is halfway serious about FPS games is gonna buy that 1ms monitor with their PS/2 peripherals for minimal lag.

>1ms monitor
Who the hell even believes this shit, the best you'll get out of almost any monitor is 4ms and you got people believing that 1ms on the manufacture page is gospel

Well you sure aren't getting any closer to that 1ms by having a whack ass Aorus board with no fucking PS/2 on it.

>FireWire
memewire, stop being a macfag

Any ASRock Pro motherboard.

>Had higher sustained throughput than USB until 3.0 became mainstream
If anything i'm being an oldfag because that's how we imported DV into PCs without quality loss, but I know you're used to flash cameras and wouldn't know anything about it.

Basically have the high-end, modern technology of today with the aesthetic designs of the good ol' green PCB boards.
The fact that no one makes high-end, consumer desktop grade motherboards that aren't l33t gaymer shit without a fuck-on of RGB LEDs is sad.

Attached: green_pcb_circuit_board.jpg (3399x2238, 2.77M)

Well we used to have pretty plain jane high end boards,(yes it's black with orange heatsinks) but ever since the DDR4 boards came out, the design language got really gay unless you're buying a low end chipset, we didn't see that shit with Z97, the old z97 boards look pretty much like the H110 boards do now, at least with gigabyte.

Attached: 0218c0b1_5.png (1000x920, 314K)

>What's your ideal motherboard, Jow Forums?

one that doesn't have the word "Gigabyte" on it

>dude 1 billion bytes lmao
I always get a kick of how insignificant 1 gigabyte is now, they probably regret that name and why they're adopting aorus.

>3 pci slots

dafuq

Yeah I don't get it, the D3H was the most basic bitch of the Z97 motherboards, it didn't even have two full x16 wired pcie slots, the other one was just an X4, the UD3H is what you would've wanted.

Attached: 10326_big.png (1000x826, 240K)

There'd be no fucking point in having two full 16x wired PCI-e slots on a Z97 board when the processors available only have 16 PCI-e lanes, you literally cannot make proper use of 2 16x wired slots on that platform.

I know, you would get 8x and 8x, which is PCIe 2.0 at full bandwidth, way better than the X4 speeds of the D3H

>complain about lack of multiple fully 16x wired slot
>backtrack and move the goalposts to 8x

I'm not moving goalposts, wired x16 slots are better when wired X4 slots, you'd be dealing with PCIe 1.0 bandwidth which is garbage.

Right, but it still makes no damn sense to wire them both for 16x when you can wire one for 8x.

The only benefit I could see about two X16 wired slots if if you have one GPU and want to have it in the lower slot for thermals if you want, or to give full PCIe 3.0 bandwidth to one card, even though 3.0 was kind of a meme and 2.0 doesn't even bottleneck modern high end cards.

>if if
is if*

Irrelevant as long as the 16x slot isn't in the topmost position. Most boards have it as the second slot from the top, which makes that point moot.

It still matters, PCIe 3.0 at x16 is a good thing, and two high end cards running in tandem at 8x is even better.

Yeah go ahead and ignore the whole post.

I wish I could have a supermicro board with two SP3 sockets but with extra beefy VRM phases and heatsinks plus a bios made by the asus team who does the rampage ones so I could overclock the shit out of some epycs on a custom water loop.
Also all black / gray

Think of pic from asus but for the threadripper / epyc socket again with super beefy VRMs and cooling but made by supermicro instead.

Attached: z10pe-d8-ws.jpg (1920x1515, 660K)

My dude I just explained why they wired them for x16, what else do you want me to do?

>2 PS/2 ports
>some USB ports
>USB connectors to fill the chipset's capabilities
>nothing more
>no sound card
>no network card
>just a place to stick in your CPU, RAM and a plenty of PCIe slots
>RAM slots in the right direction

They wired them both for 16x to meme people into thinking it's somehow better (on the chipset in question, it isn't) than one 16x and one 8x slot.
It's marketing, 2 16x slots sound better than 1 16x and 1 8x.

What I want you to do is stop trying to make up bullshit reasons for 2 16x slots to offer any advantage over 16x + 8x.
Like I said, the thermal argument is irrelevant as long as the 16x slot isn't the topmost slot. On most boards it's the second from the top, which leaves more than enough room for a giant CPU heatsink to not be affected whatsoever by any heat from the graphics card below it.

user pls. if you need more pci lanes, then get an X299 board and a high end CPD on that, you're getting mad over dumb shit that doesn't even matter on these mainstream chipsets/CPUs that you yourself say are so limited. Yes two cards on a mainstream chipset with no extra PLX chip nonsense will never run out of bandwidth even if the slots were both wired for 8x, but it will run at x16 with a single card.

I'm not even saying a board with two x16 wired pcie slots is superior in anyway, it just is what it is.

>CPD
CPU

>I'm not even saying a board with two x16 wired pcie slots is superior in anyway, it just is what it is.

>The only benefit I could see about two X16 wired slots if if
>It still matters, PCIe 3.0 at x16 is a good thing

The fuck are you arguing about if you're not saying two 16x slots is better than 16x + 8x on a mainstream chipset then.

All this crap started when I said a gigabyte Z97 D3H was a piece of shit since it's second PCIe slot was wired for 4x (which is not enough for dual SLI). A motherboard worth shit like pic related, or any other Z97 with SLI support has dual x16s that split into 8x for Dual SLI, because it now has the bandwidth for it.

I honestly don't even know what the fuck is going on either eight now.

Attached: 20150323141041_big.png (1000x890, 324K)

>I honestly don't even know what the fuck is going on either eight now.
Same.

>A motherboard worth shit like pic related, or any other Z97 with SLI support has dual x16s that split into 8x for Dual SLI
The board pictured actually has 38 lanes, it doesn't scale the 16x slots down to 8x when only using two cards: guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-fx-8370-and-8370e-processor-review,4.html

Most mainstream Intel boards however have just one slot wired for 16x with another wired for 8x. The few that do have multiple "proper" 16x slots do so purely for the marketing factor, much like having 16 phase VRMs for an 80W CPU.

>38 lanes
Holy shit I love my board even more now, 990FX is fucking based, Intel buyers are getting ripped off .

I was seriously not aware it had that many lanes simply because of the price a 990FX platform costs to get into.

Attached: IMG_0221.jpg (4032x3024, 1.99M)

>990FX is fucking based
However, it's only PCI-e 2.0.

Forgot:
>Intel buyers are getting ripped off
You're not wrong.

>990FX
lmfao
get the fuck outta here you outdated loser
If you had an x399 board now that would be something.

>x399
That's too extreme for me, I just needed some cheap cores for rendering and this had everything I needed for dirt cheap

Well, as long as the whole thing was cheaper than a Z97 build with a 4690k or 4790k.

>Board-$100 from eBay new because I liked Revision 4 better
>RAM-$120 because the price was going up a bit and pissed me off
>CPU-$120
>Corsair case-$79.99
>CX750-$69.99
>Already had GPU $0.00
>Hyper T4-$30
>Total-519.98
Okay it kinda cost good little bit, but it's made of new parts and I was considering buying used sandy bridge stuff but I said fuck that, plus my multi core is better than a 4690k and I need that.

If only I could afford one then or now

Attached: GOAT.jpg (1200x1024, 148K)

Is that a Thinkpad mobo, user?

nice thinkpad mainboard. Its amazing how much they can squeeze into a laptop case these days. Does that mother come with a clit mouse?

>The fact that no one makes high-end, consumer desktop grade motherboards that aren't l33t gaymer shit without a fuck-on of RGB LEDs is sad.
Stop buying consumershit and buy enterprise class SuperMicro boards

>b-b-but i dont want to spend $500 on a dual socket board
the suck the gaymer cock

>plus my multi core is better than a 4690k
Only just barely. But you overpaid like a retard, for that price you could have been looking at a Ryzen build.

>B350 board - around $100
>RAM - depends how much, but 8GB DDR4 around $80
>CPU - Ryzen 3 2200G around $100

Now a 2200G may not be *much* better than whichever Bulldozer housefire you have, but you'd have a modern system with options to actually upgrade in the future. Alternatively you could have dumped a bit more money into the CPU and gone with a Ryzen 5 2600/2600X for about $180 (and no third party cooler required even, only $30 increase over your old shit taking that into consideration) which would blow any Bulldozer chip right the fuck out.

Moral of the story: Next time you decide to buy hardware from like 5 years ago, make sure you actually get a good deal, which new old stock very rarely is.

>B350 board
Fuck that shit, I want a high end fucking board with my ryzen when I eventually get one, People love to spec out these ryzens with shitty ass boards and say "Ooh look it's cheaper" but it's not even comparable with the way higher end boards clock.

>Bought device in 2010
>Used firewire
Haha oh wow, was a joke then too.

>Canon HV40
>Joke
That thing is still better quality than the 1080p webcams over usb 3.0 on the old ass FW400 bus.

Attached: 81XKXAzledL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1179, 201K)

>better quality than the 1080p webcams
That's an achievement?

I'm just saying this old ass technology can transfer some really high quality lossless HDV, USB 2.0 couldn't compete for years.

Probably the Hero. I have the Hero VI from 2013 so when I upgrade to Ice Lake I'll get it, or the F model from Asus.

The current Hero is $430 aud compared to $300 aud for the Z370-F

Attached: asus_maximus_x_hero_rog.jpg (2500x2500, 642K)

Is this the best 1366 board?

The rampage III extreme is.
That one only had one good thing going for itself and was dual sockets but if you goggle enough EVGA had some serious QA issues with it, it's a big hit or miss and the reason they are so rare nowadays isn't even due to them being 500 bucks back then, it's just that they died in 1 or 2 years when being on 24/7 overclocked systems.
I do wish EVGA gave another try tho, maybe this time with threadrippers but if they failed hard on the VRM department back then nowadays it will just set a house on fire instantly during boot.

what's the benefit of ps/2 mice

Attached: ? aoba.jpg (1280x720, 256K)

Basically none.