VIM editor

Why do so many people recommend vim? What are your opinions on this editor as an IDE? Is it worth the time to learn vim?

Attached: image.jpg (1400x1400, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/martanne/vis
youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_toc.html
neovim.io/doc/user/usr_toc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

type vimtutor and kill yourself
saged

Prevents RSI.

Ok so first, learn the difference between IDE and a text editor. Vim is a text editor. IDE is a whole environment which is mostly automated and similar. For the reason to use Vim INSTEAD of an IDE, refer to When you finish with vimtutor, you'll see how powerful it is.

Vim is worth it. Linux isn't.

Your life isn't worth it.

Learn Vim, then install spacemacs with evil. Profit the ultimate IDE.

Wait, you actually think vimtutor is a way to learn to love it, not just learn to use it?
It doesn't even show any advanced features.
I found it utterly useless.

Control itself is pretty powerful, all of those ways to move are really hot. Everything in Vim is cool and he needs to start from somewhere.

>It doesn't even show any advanced features.
Name one.

look at mr "I already knew vim before learning the basics"

this is why you have no friends

No, I knew ed before I learned vim.
Vimtutor spends so much time telling you how to do banal things, it never got to anything not present in other editors.

I'm too dumb to even figure out how to get vintutor .__.

vim works great as an IDE imo. I've got it set up with sbcl just fine, as well as ghc.

a while back I was using vim as my irc client with ii.

just type vimtutor into your terminal window.

Spelling is hard for you?
Try Copy/Paste
vimtutor

shift+:

then type 'vimtutor'

enter.

Attached: qt3.14.jpg (141x175, 9K)

Bloated.

Use Vis.

elvis?

No, just "Vis". Rename pending.
github.com/martanne/vis

It's a waste of time.

I use notepad and I get more work done than all of you idiots.

>the most powerful text editor
>can't map commands to number keys

What is this shit

how would one go about injecting relative line numbers before the first character in a line up and down from the cursor position in notepad?

The absolute fastest way to use a computer is with your fingers on home row most of the time, vim fully embraces this and learning how to fully utilize it will make you fast as fuck, it's satisfying.

>it's true
>for portability
fucking autists, WHAT IS COMPATIBILITY MODE

/thread

Attached: vimalways.png (846x668, 47K)

Fun fact, unlike Vim, Vis supports actual regexps.

I use it to write code.
I use it to write code because it holds at its core a belief about programming that I also believe to be true. You spend more time reading it than you do writing it. And Vim makes this the default experience and everything is structured around traversing written symbols.

As someone who doesn't use vim I have no reason to ever worry about relative line numbers.

Why are you doing such mundane things with a computer that your fucking text editor is slowing you down.

Notepad:
>highlight the text you want to replace
>type the replacement text
>return cursor and keep on rolling

>You spend more time reading it than you do writing it.
That's true! And that's exactly why you don't need a thousand keybinds related to editing it.

Emacs has a better logo and it also has evil mode which makes it superior. If X has Y, X is automatically superior.

>stuggles with symbols

you're able to read aren't ya? fucking dullards.

Attached: hehhh.jpg (215x124, 3K)

>a new challenger approaches

Attached: 1280px-Visual_Studio_Code_1.18_icon.svg.png (1280x1275, 17K)

You don't need to use every keybinding. Do you use every IDE toolbar button that you dedicate screen space to?

it's dick is ripped off instantly and it's pissed on while being cuckolded and humiliated

i just laughed tears to that

I don't need unnecessary overhead while I'm thinking about the content of my document.

A lot of people swear by it nowadays huh

No, and in fact I do not need any of them.

Well don't fucking use it then you turbonerd, no one is trying to force you lol

Once you've learned all the keybindings you currently use and one more, Vi(m) is more productive. Except you still have another 100 ways to become more productive.

>unnecessary overhead
>content of my document

the lad writes erotic incest fantasies you it doesn't take much

The skill required for composition of sexual prose on the levels approaching mine is no laughing matter.

I'm happy with the software I use, thanks. My activity in this thread is intended to dissuade people from wasting their time learning shitty software.

That's good. Stop now while you're ahead.

Imbecile's Dicking-around Environment

You might as well just forget vim if you are already stuck.

Fucking imagine using Vim, it doesn't even have a teledildonics mode;

youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

>fell for the bloated meme
>durr my software has to be so small and useless that I can read it all in one sitting

The vimtutor is a nice intro (particularly to vi-key movement), but you're best off reading the Vim User Manual if you want a longer (but not exhaustive) guide to vim.

vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/usr_toc.html
Neovim's: neovim.io/doc/user/usr_toc.html (literally the same)

If you even halfway pay attention to half of the stuff in the Getting Started and Editing Effectively major-sections, you'll unironically be a better vim user than 99% of people who've ever opened the program.

>home row
nice meme faggot

>VB
>adult babies
kek

No reason to not use Vim keybindings with VS Code or an IDE like PyCharm. Why not have the best of both worlds?

keked for a while before realizing that I'd like to code while getting buzzed in the ass

the only worthy about vim its when your muscular memory learns the vim keyboard, everyting else its bullshit, vimscript its by far one one of the worst scripting languages.

Did it ever fucking occur to you I might want to write programs, edit config files, take notes, write essays, etc.

>is it worth the time to learn Vim?
You should already know Vim, and if you don’t, you need to start yesterday. Also realize that vim and vi aren’t the same, vi is lightweight and has limited features, and vim is the full thing, though still small, it has more features, and usually you have to install it yourself and then it takes over the “vi” alias in the command line.
>why do so many people recommend vim?
It’s an industry standard and the lightweight vi is built in on basically every single Unix system.
>what are your opinions on this editor as an IDE?
It’s the best basically, but it’s not an IDE. Vim has builtin recognition for filetypes and their programming language contexts, colouring in context appropriately, but that’s the most it does.
An IDE is a full dev environment, with spelling corrections, hotkeys to run your code on the fly for testing, built in compilers, auto completion of commands and existing variables, etc. Vim does none of this so called “handholding” and forces you to learn how to actually program, how to spell right and use right context, and then you must run close it or save it and use another terminal to test run/compile your code.

There’s many advantages to knowing vi which enable you to make very fast accurate changes to files on systems without GUI loaded or available, like when ssh into another system, or troubleshooting another system with a live boot Linux, configuring a server, etc. If you want to have any shot of making it in the IT industry, you need to understand at LEAST basic use and navigation of vim and vi, and use it whenever possible until it starts to feel natural for you. Don’t worry about memorizing every feature, but try and study it, and use it as your primary text editor, use it in lieu of an IDE whenever possible, and you will eventually wonder why anyone would use anything else.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1858, 1.05M)

>that article
is this the end of the world?

is this supposed to be greentext'd

>no reason to ever worry about relative line numbers
Your programming career will end very quickly if that’s what you have in mind.
>notepad and a mouse
>he thinks it’s faster to take his hand off the keyboard and reposition it back on the keyboard than it is to hit 3-5 keys
Faggot

>when Arab news is judging the ridiculousness of Swedes
Can’t say they weren’t warned

NANO

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: stallman-interject.jpg (1688x2535, 1.15M)

Use whatever editor you're most productive in for the task.

>use it until it feels natural
I've been using VSVim or whatever it's called for work, and I can't stand using a mouse when editing in server management studio or other programs.

learned some vim basics and now I pretty much use whatever editor fits the job + whatever vim plugin. Vim itself as an IDE just seems to fiddly for me but the text editing experience is top tier

Actual usage by employed responsible people who drive cars n' stuff.

Attached: Text-Editor-Performance.jpg (671x645, 79K)

It's mostly cargo cultists that like the keyboard macros, for two - three reason:
a) they sperg about insignificant features, like reversing odd lines, being able to call regex search with what seems to be fast for their untrained sense for UI design - see - or being able to fizzbuzz in the editor
a1) their workflow is so fucked that they need to wildly navigate around in the document (a common red flag - it means they are brainlet because their brains can't hold much context)
b) other typically available UNIX editors manage to actually be slightly worse in terms of usability

Technically speaking it's a piece of garbage in every regard. Even if you're retarded enough to actually like that kind of key usage, you're better of with using vis for "just editing text" and neovim as lightweight IDE.

>dreamweaver
nice web "developers"

I like vim because it's consistent.

No matter what system you're using,
no matter what distribution,
no matter how long it's been since it was ever updated,
no matter if it's physical or SSH'd into,
you can type `vim` and have it work as it always does. It handles well with system crashes if that ever happens, and it's very lightweight.
I use it as a pseudo-IDE with a few plugins that give me autocomplete and such. I'd say if you expect to be using linux a *lot* then it's worth the time investment. Flashy IDE #4215 might not be available on whatever system employers make you use, but vim will be.

>UltraEdit
the patrician choice for just editing texts
not all is lost

use Visual Studio Code with vim keys, that's the only sane way to use it

Install Emacs.

I've been using vim for many years because it is the default on loonix.

i cannot even do simple text editing tasks in a reasonable amount of time, let alone use IDE-like features

How much of a hassle is it to set up vim for QWERTZ?

vim does not handle keyboard layouts, that's usually a system-wide default which is easily set with KEYMAP in /etc/vconsole.conf