Working remotely as a software engineer

currently working remote and I find it unbearable since it can be a pretty lonely endeavor. Do you think working on-site will help? Or does working with normies make the problem worse? I should note that if I worked on-site it'd ideally be at a "quirky" start-up with free snacks and shit.

Attached: giphy.gif (800x792, 607K)

Working remotely is pain, to be quite honest. The benefit of being on site is that you not only get the social aspect of work, but frankly being able to discuss with someone face to face or sit down with someone and explain your line of though, is a lot more giving than sending a bunch of emails and desperately trying to schedule voice calls or video calls all the time.

Personally, I work with a bunch of different hardware configurations too, so it's a lot easier for me to just head over to the server room and set up my testbed whenever, than having to wait for our "IT" guy to do it and then he forgets something and I have to wait until the next day or whatever.

>should note that if I worked on-site it'd ideally be at a "quirky" start-up with free snacks and shit.
I also work at a place where they stock up on snacks and allow us to order food on the company bill if we work later than 7, and since I live alone I'd much rather just stay in late, eat for free and with my colleagues, than go home and eat alone.

>2018
>still working

go back to mcdonalds, wagecuck

OP, you better be traveling a lot. If I got to work remote I'd be in SEA living it up with qts

>if we work later than 7
>eat for free
i really hope you're getting paid for that overtime with something more than food

Attached: 1457034355328.jpg (741x486, 42K)

I actually love working from home. I keep my place really clean so it's comfy. I have an office I go to but I'm the only employee in my state, so even though it's a great office it's just me in it.

You also forgot that knowing your boss/coworkers can be really helpful. If you’re working remotely, don’t be surprised everyone forgets you even exist. My boss was able to get me a great position elsewhere (he’s leaving too) just because we would talk about random shit and got along.

no you wont, they don't like fat fucks

I assume you meant to respond to me ()

But it depends. I don't have paid overtime per se because I'm not actually told directly by my employer to stay in late. But then again, we do have flex hours, so I usually just work up additional vacation days.

In addition, our bonuses are based on merits and results, so in that regard I do get rewarded for working harder.

That's true too.

Have worked 100% remotely for the past 4 years.

I think it's super comfy to be able to work on my schedule. If the company is purely remote the there is no real downside imo. Just get on an instant messaging client like telegram or discord

>Reach anyone instantly
>They respond when is good for them, so never any interruptions
>Rarely any meetings, and when they do a quick group voice chart is fine

>work remote
>never commute
>don't even need a car
>take uber for quarterly meetings
>live in a nicer neighborhood since I don't have to be close into the office
Remote is the only way to work. I'd never go back to the commuter life.

>live in a nicer neighborhood since I don't have to be close into the office
Do you have a family then, or do you live on your own?

I'm currently single and relatively young, and I would die of boredom if I had to settle down in some lazy suburb in contrast to where I live now where I can literally just call my friends and meet them in 10 minutes for a drink at the pub.

Working in-office is great if you have good communication skills. Also, if the commute is short it's worth the effort for networking.

Attached: depositphotos_14451743-stock-photo-business-woman-with-her-staff[1].jpg (1023x669, 109K)

Been working remote for years
Basically wake up, have coffee going. Check emails
Play video games or shitpoost/discord

After a while get bored, come into work. I'm the only one there from my dept. Nobody else there except sales or finance people.

Get bored. Try to talk to people nobody even knows what my dept does.

Senior coworkers live in a different state.

Boss lives in a different state.
Get to meet boss and all coworkers 3-4x a year since everyone is truly remote.

I hate this job now.
Can't even go into the office like a normal slave.

Have nobody to talk to except one pajeet that sits next to.me.

Sometimes go to lunch with him

I've been thinking about asking my dept to move to other floor to work closer to other people I know.

What's even worse is I'm not really allowed to help others out since its against department escalation policy....

Attached: 1527026148538.png (680x510, 277K)

Uh, how is it working remote if you're showing up at an office?

if you're young definitely try the office, the workday might be boring but then you can go out after and meet people to complain to about the shit people you work with. But that's life. Too much of a good thing turns sour pretty fast.

I'm a remote control.

How is your social life tho?

wat

It's remote..

Basically I go into the office sometimes because it gets lonely working remote. So once or twice a week I try to go in anyway..

I've spent like 3-5 months before just working from home completely. Sometimes it's great to do what you want.

Sometimes it sucks
Our dept is.legit 100% remote unless you want to show up in an office and they just give us some cubes...

>Basically I go into the office sometimes because it gets lonely working remote. So once or twice a week I try to go in anyway..
Ah, I see. I misunderstood.

I know this feel brah

>implying cheap whores aren't a thing

Attached: 192945-3.jpg (1001x1001, 52K)

I've got a family. We live in a walkable neighborhood. It's pretty close to paradise.
Amazing. All neighbors are good middle to upper-middle class people. We have get togethers with our kids often. There's a ball park a block away with kids sports of all kinds. A state park 10 mins walk the other direction where you can bike, hike, fish, etc.

Honestly just think of what remote allows you to do. What do real estate clowns always say? Location, location, location. There are fantastic places to live that are out of reach to commuters. That's what makes remote work so amazing. I met me wife here too. Nice town girl with a good family who wanted kids and didn't need to get neck tattoos and an HR job to feel fulfilled in life.

Yea. I spent like 5 months remote and one day came in.

Someone said, Jesus didn't even know you were alive or dead... it kind of hit me and I try once a week to just be there..

>All neighbors are good middle to upper-middle class people. We have get togethers with our kids often. There's a ball park a block away with kids sports of all kinds. A state park 10 mins walk the other direction where you can bike, hike, fish, etc.
I grew up in a place like this, and it's honestly as close to hell you can get, if you ask me. I'd rather live in a small but comfy apartment close to where things happen. To each his own, I guess.

>tfw you could literally die and no one would notice for over half a year

Attached: horrified.gif (480x270, 108K)

Naaa

That wouldn't work. Try not responding to serious emails in a day or so and your boss starts calling...

Not to mention the meetings, troubleshooting shit, and being the hero of the company meanwhile nobody knows you by face..

Attached: images(4).jpg (225x225, 5K)

That's comforting, then your work gets noticed at least.

Yeah thats a bit different lifestyle for me that I couldn't live. I like big cities. Props on the wife though.

I like working from home because I can wake and bake whenever I want to (pretty much every day).

Living the life

Attached: feel-mask.jpg (601x508, 31K)

Yeah I did that song and dance in the Bay when I was young and moved out when I was late 20s. It's a cool chic thing when you are all alone and fucking around with life but you can't do family in that kind of environment. I vowed after watching a lot of 30-40 year old miserable single colleagues talk about what they regretted at bars that I wouldn't make the mistake of staying in the city forever.

Putting off the family is a fast track to misery.

>cant wake and bake and go to a real job

Well, I'm 32 now and I'm not getting kids ever, and a lot of that is due to my experiences as when I was a kid. It's a bit depressing, so I won't get into it. But I'm glad it worked out for you user, kudos to that.

regretted at bars?

I work remotely, as well. I rent a room in a coworking space like 20 minutes walking from home. Helps me keep work & personal life separated, and forces me to go outside.

I completely despise to work from home.
Even when there is some event that makes the boss say "wfh tomorrow guys" (like 3 to 5 times a year), I ask permission to go to the office.
Sometimes I'm alone in the office but generally there are 1 or 2 more guys that also do what I do for whatever reason.
Being able to socialize and working directly with people is a game changer if it is a decent place, and I'm not exactly a hell of an extrovert.

Attached: 1517776762941.gif (320x240, 79K)

I would do this if I worked remotely too. Can't get straight up from bed on to computer, I need to reset mentally first.

How did you get a remote job? I quit my job to work from home on a personal project. It's not making me any money, and I'd like to be making money again. But I never want to work in an office again.

My tips for getting a job with quirky startups: If you live in a city, or are willing to move to one, just go to meetups there hosted by startups, incubators, or "big" companies. People there will fucking fall all over themselves to hire anybody with real dev experience, as long as you can talk to them. If you need practice talking to random people, go to meetups you consider to be irrelevant first.

Does the depression ever leave?

No friends in new city.
No gf. Only hobbies involve going mountains or shitposting

I unironically doubt that people working from home are even remotely as productive as they could be showing up for work. But then again, I secretly suspect that people that chronically leave early to get home to their families are also skipping out and leaving all the hard work to us.

Any tips on talking to strangers in the office??

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm pretty introverted so its easy for me to hide away for a few months, but after a few months before I know it I am depressed because I have isolated myself so much.

Do you work at a start-up?

Yeah coworkers spilling their guts over drinks. There are tons of miserable people in the Bay Area who wish they had kids. It's probably the most common hangup with people over 30 here who aren't gay.

Ask if they want to have lunch with you. It might be awkward in the beginning, but after some time they figure out that they just need to talk to you in order to make it not awkward.

Yeah, exactly. The walk home helps me disconnect as well-- to stop thinking about code and start thinking about life.

>game changer
Management nigger detected.

>people over 30
It never stops to surprise me how rural the US really is when it comes to getting kids. Where I'm from, if you have kids before 30 you're pretty much considered almost a redneck, and only people who live in extremely remote and desolate towns get them before 25-27.

We're not. We shitpost on Jow Forums/discord 50% of the time.

didn't even deny it

Well, to be fair, I shitpost on Jow Forums until lunch every day too, and then get a bad conscience about it and stay until everyone else has left.

You're either running your parents dry or you're a trust fund kid. Either way you're reprehensible. Most of us are trying to achieve financial independence starting from 0.

lol he's probably getting neetbux from the govt in subsidized housing

Yeah I get hits from these start-ups. My sticking points have more to do with the technical parts of the interview process (white boarding/algorithms).

It isn't always the case. If you have a couple hard projects to work on you better believe I'm working my ass off. If I'm doing nothing but simple stuff yea I have time to shitpost or study in my downtime..

It's still better than sitting at work with nothing to do since your projects take time and you're a month away from.something new.

Our company only gives about 3-5 projects a year. Hard ones can take 3-6 months to complete and simple ones maybe a month or so depending on who takes over after my tasks are complete..

The company is about 10 years old but the environment is very informal (I've been here 2 years)
We are about 20 people, nobody feels like a stranger to me today, I mean it happened when I started of course, but I just always had lunch since the beginning with the group of people that always get together, I just tagged along until I became comfortable.
Naturally I get along with some of them better than others, I have this girl sitting next to me that is newer than me and we are like best buddies, and this other girl that is been there much longer, even though we can talk, it feels a bit more awkward to interact.
The same with the guys, it is no big deal.
kek
I'm a webdev monkey, there is no manager here, I don't know why I used that expression lol, it just came out.

What do you do?

Why not study for certs during down time

I unironically like whiteboard problems. I know it's popular to complain about them, but they are so pure. Don't have to deal with unpredictable APIs, deadlines, people with no stake in the outcome arguing with you in design reviews, automation failing due to no fault of your own, etc. You just solve a (usually math-based) CS problem.

>What do you do?
Embedded development

>Why not study for certs during down time
I have a PhD and work in a highly specialized field, so I doubt that there are any relevant certs that my employer would pay for.

>Don't have to deal with unpredictable APIs, deadlines, people with no stake in the outcome arguing with you in design reviews

Uhh. What do you do?

Sounds cool.

Why do you feel guilty?

Your odds of having a literal retard baby goes up exponentially at 33 to 35 depending on your genes. It says a lot about how "smart," the urban population is that they put off childbirth that long.

Software engineer. I am currently voluntarily unemployed since I have enough saved up to not work for a few years. Thinking of getting into local politics, which will presumably be even worse in terms of bureaucracy..

Don't worry, you'll learn later in life that your company doesnt give a shit about you and you shouldnt give a shit about it either. Do what you can get away with, that is unless you have certain certain development goals you'd like to reach.

Yo

Frens. Do you ever feel like you're losing it from being alone all the time and the projects are boring...

Attached: images(5).jpg (247x204, 8K)

>Why do you feel guilty?
Being a scandinavian, I'm condemned with a pietistic nature.

That was true 30 years ago, but not today. I'm not saying that you should wait until long into your 40s, but before 35 is not an issue at all, and between 35 and 40 is minimal risk. Also, if it's retarded we just abort it.

The average life expectancy is 89 years and the current government is considering raising the retirement age from 70 to 72 because people live so long. I don't see why you should enjoy being young, when you're bound to live almost two times longer anyway.

Thats exactly why I started this thread. Are you remote too?

How long did you work for to save up that amount?

>Why do you feel guilty?
Because he obviously has good work ethics, unlike most people ITT who are barely any better than niggers.

A bit under seven years. I started working full time in after college in September 2011, quit last December (2017). Worked at three companies in that time period. I also bought a 2BR condo in 2016, renovated it, and sold it a few weeks before quitting and bought a nicer 1BR/studio in a better location for about $50k less. I am not particularly good with money but luckily I don't need to drive and have a bit under $100k in cash and a bit over $100k in stock.

Where do you work, why are you the only employee?

>That was true 30 years ago, but not today.
Lol no its a biological fact of the human genome and it hasn't changed in less than one generation. Yes, you can more effectively screen and abort potatoes now, but your odds of having a healthy child are still low at that age. Kids born of older parents are also more likely to have lower iq, more allergies, overall lower immune system response, low birth weight (predicts a host of maladies including manlet status)... the lost goes on and on. It's absolutely fine to put off having kids to your late 20s if you're doing a graduate degree or something, but waiting for 30 is nothing but tempting fate. There's nothing more miserable and useless than a couple who tries to have kids in their 30s, fails, or has one stupid sickly runt they obsess over.

>living my dream

How?

>Lol no its a biological fact of the human genome and it hasn't changed in less than one generation.
Implying diet and healthy lifestyles don't affect both genes and health.

>Yes, you can more effectively screen and abort potatoes now, but your odds of having a healthy child are still low at that age.
>low
Implying. Slightly increased are still pretty slim.

>Kids born of older parents are also more likely to have lower iq, more allergies, overall lower immune system response, low birth weight (predicts a host of maladies including manlet status)...
Lolno.

I'm sorry that you live in a shitty country, but I guess some people just have better genes than you.

Can you vest all your stocks right now? Or is there a time period? Also how long do you think this money will last you?

As a young single guy I love working from home. I go to a kickboxing gym 4-6 times per week and hang out with my friends regularly. Seeing people five days a week in an office on top of all that is too much.

Just doing application development for some people that work in hosted providers. it's a good field to get into

All the stock is vested. I also have a few 401k's but I don't recall what's in them (not great with money, as mentioned). I live in an expensive area but I should be good for 3-4 years. I plan to have income before then, just ideally not full-time office work.

>implying men and women have the same biology
Women have to have babies before 35, men have no age limit at all (but the odds of more mutation in DNA is higher at a higher age).

guys with kids are usually doing the bare minimum and blowing off early so they can get back to their "real lives" at home. shitty people to work with

>if the commute is short
this is the key, I've had 2 hour commutes and its hell on earth, but if it was like 10 minutes I wouldn't mind at all

It's not a work ethic issue.

Some people need tons of work to stay engaged. What happens after your fix or debug everything you can...

We don't get to choose our assignments sometimes. And sometimes a few of he projects s are easy to solve..

I used to be like that, always working on a bunch of projects and even more than you should...

Yeah, that's my experience too. Have a colleague that just got hired straight out of college. His gf (not even married) pushed out a kid not one, not twice, but fucking three time in a matter of three years, and he comes late and leaves early when he is at work and has been on paternity leave for 1.5 years of the total 4 years he has worked here.

>I unironically doubt that people working from home are even remotely as productive as they could be showing up for work

I think that for a company, in some aspects I am more productive at home and some aspects I am less.
But I am definitely productive for myself. I can clean, do laundry, stretch, practice drawing, etc. at home during the workday, saving me time for later.
From a company perspective, this will make me less likely to burn out or quit, but more importantly it sets a standard for my own life that I'm unwilling to drop.

Good points.

>I used to be like that, always working on a bunch of projects and even more than you should...

It got even worse after a while. I always needed tons of work so I started taking projects from other people who couldn't handle them. After a while I was hated in the office and people didn't like working with.me..I always used to be the go to guy on every projects.

Than I switched jobs and now I have free time and get paid more.

Not my fault if sometimes I have downtime to focus on other things...

If he's productive enough to not get fired then who gives a shit? Why should he waste more of his time at work?

>If he's productive enough to not get fired then who gives a shit? Why should he waste more of his time at work?
First of all, it's illegal to fire someone who is on paternity leave.

Secondly, he is really good at kissing ass and taking credit for having contributed to projects he barely contributed to at all.

Productivity isn't the problem.

Sometimes not every project is hard as fuck and you end up having downtime...

What would you do? Ask for more work?

If you want your dick to fall off go ahead

Embrace it. focus on yourself. Are you fit? if not start there.

Working on it and things have been getting better..

>Sometimes not every project is hard as fuck and you end up having downtime...
That's why I hate offices. If I have downtime at work, I am limited to a set of fairly boring options that I hope my coworkers won't notice, or leaving early and potentially being judged. If I have downtime at home, I can do whatever I want!
I think a coworking space is alright (although not for me), because the other people are not concerned about your activities. But standard offices are psychotic.

I don't even come in.

Hard or not. We're always working just don't kill yourself with the 9-5. Everyone takes their time to work on something.

sounds like you're just jealous of him because he's got a successful family life and an easy job while you're a miserable wagecuck code monkey

We have the same fucking job you dolt. It's just that I'm stuck with cleaning his mess because he left on paternity leave two weeks before release.