Does anybody here have experience with the HP Elitebook 2540p and its fucked up BIOS?

Does anybody here have experience with the HP Elitebook 2540p and its fucked up BIOS?

I am trying to boot Void Linux from a USB and the pc simply wont recognize it.

I can't seem to find anything in the BIOS that would disable secure boot as that seems to be what the google search tells me to do.

The USB boots perfectly on my Toshiba laptop so I know that there's nothing wrong with the stick.

I have tried just about everything, in every USB port on the HP laptop.

The BIOS itself confuses me. Not even sure if it is BIOS or UEFI.

It's almost as if HP doesn't want me to install anything over their awful bloatware.

I know "Jow Forums is not my personal tech support team", but you're my last and only hope....

Attached: 2540p.jpg (350x350, 14K)

Picture of the BIOS I found using google.

Attached: original.jpg (669x432, 57K)

bump

turn off secure boot

Attached: happy-ba-dum-tss.png (300x258, 39K)

bump

Anyone?

I own hp elitebook 8460p. I am also suffering from the same problem. My bios mode is on legacy mode and I can't run any linux distro in vm due to its shitty bios. Check in system information to know about the bios mode

>download Linux iso
>Build flash drive with Rufus Legacy+UEFI mode
>Plug into laptop
>Hit F9 to jump to boot menu on power on
>Select flash drive
>did it boot?
>If no your iso or flash drive is shit try a different one/again

Source: literally the same fucking laptop booting Ubuntu server installer

Attached: IMG_20180522_200614.jpg (3120x4160, 1.93M)

If only it was that easy I would have done it. Do you really think I didn't try that? The USB does not show up in the boot menu. Thought I made it clear that it wont recognize the USB. It recognizes it in the OS (Windows) but not in the boot menu.

I got the laptop from my moms office. They where going to throw it away. Could it be that the IT guy somehow blocked it from beimg able to boot from USB? If so, how do I unblock it?

Void is shit desu. Test with Ubuntu 18.04.

Boot
Hit escape to get option menu
F10 to BIOS settings
System configuration tab
Scroll down to boot options
Turn on or off UEFI mode
Turn on USB device boot

Attached: IMG_20180522_204417.jpg (3120x4160, 1.82M)

Tried that. Nothing works.

I have tried this with more than just Void my friend. I just made a windows usb and it still wont work.

Is the laptop used? The previous owner might have been a business that deployed UEFI-level security policy that prevents USB boot (to prevent laptop thieves from retrieving secret corporate documents from the laptop).

Yes, as stated previously.
How do I fix this? And why would they give me a pc with such a restriction?

I have full administratpr rights on the computer so I should be able do do somerhing about it. Even though I believe it has to do with settings in the BIOS not in the OS since the BIOS boots before the OS.

Bumping

Please be less descriptive

The bios:
A. does not let you in
B. asks for a password
C. Lets you select the option but still doesn't boot
D. Doesn't have this option

I cant spoon feed you instructions if you cant describe the issue your having

iS YOUR USB DEVICE bootable?

HP's favor its boot order in bios
tell it to boot from usb drive frist

I had this laptop. I sold it and got a t420 instead, problem solved.

Everything is explained throughout this thread.

The bios lets me in.
Bios did not have passeord.
Does not boot no matter what option I choose (uefi on/off, legacy on/off, etc.)
The option I csn't seem to find though is the secure boot option. Maybe it is called something else in this sorry excuse for a bios.

if you are having this many problems, you either cannot google shit right,

or

your fucking with people in this thread that are trying to help you

Exactly the thread I was looking for. I got a HP Pavillion gayming laptop. I also would like to install linux on it. Can any of you guys help me out with that? It has Windows preinstalled and can reinstall windows by itself. So I really don't know how it would work if I would try to install a new OS and what would happen to the old one

I own one and run Linux on it. I actually tried to install Void a few months ago and i did get it booting the USB but it just wouldn't display anything. I dont know whats wrong with it or Void. Try something else i guess. If you're not getting a USB to boot, use Rufus on windows or DD and use the F9 boot menu.

Try with a different pendrive. I sometimes have issues with an older 2.0 but a newer 3.0 works. Or the opposite.

Bump

>The USB does not show up in the boot menu
enable legacy usb devices or something

Both Uefi and legacy is enabled.
Tried combination uefi on legacy off and vice versa.

Done this in all usb ports.

i said enable legacy usb

Did I say something else?

So here is the deal nubs, you need to disable secure boot only on devices that have secure boot. It is a UEFI feature to lock down the software. Now since your laptop comes with a BIOS, you don't have this option. No need to disable anything. It does however means you need to use a bootloader and that will increase the boot time. Solution? Get a laptop with a UEFI and set up an EFI stub on the SSD for those sweet sweet sub 10sec boots

not sure but there may be this thing somewhere there to enable legacy usb devices or something otherwise the bootscreen doesn't show your usb stick