Sony will move away from consumer electronics business

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-20/new-sony-ceo-to-detail-shift-away-from-gadgets-in-mid-term-plan

RIP

Attached: 1000x-1.jpg (1000x666, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VIaaK2Rqg70
videocraft.com.au/cameras?SID=ojlae5frmh15utq7gti84fp8d5&manufacturer=sony
youtube.com/watch?v=a9bKxx-Hm1M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Makes sense. Their phones haven’t drawn a dime. I assume PlayStation isn’t affected, and even that pales in comparison to Sony’s health and insurance industry dollars.

They used to be my goto brand. Now they only make stupid crap since about 2006. I wonder what changed?

This, Sony has been an insurance company for a while now.

The average age of a Sony engineer is 57.

They still make the best digital audio players.

I guess it's a chink and gook world now.

fug
F

wtf.
I have Sony Xperia phone.

RIP Sony

Does this seem like a company that wants to stay in business?

Attached: sony declining shipment.png (644x428, 22K)

I miss Sony VAIO notebooks.

Will Sony become a sole video game company in future? [spoiler]like Sega was[/spoiler]

>Sony Xperia phone
how do you do fellow /v/tard

Attached: thisismyswamp.jpg (1582x2048, 1.25M)

Their Playstation consoles still selling well.

Sony Xperia specs aren't that much different from Samsung GayLax or Chink brands.

They are about the same thing.

Their phones are horrid. Their computers are overpriced same as their phones.

Sony sold off the Vaio division long, long time ago.

I like my bravia tv

Their TVs are good.

FUGG

F

Attached: FUGG.png (1024x749, 117K)

What tvs will I have to buy now? Samshit? Gib Kaz back.

Taiwan has better brands

Attached: ASUS, HTC, Acer.jpg (750x563, 161K)

rip sweet prince
>ywn relive the glory days of sony walkman

I was planning to buy Sony Walkman and latest Xperia in the future but oh well. F

Attached: 1526177576478.jpg (1061x1500, 702K)

>tfw need a new mp3 player
>cant have BT/nfc/wifi/camera
>cant buy the nw-a45

fuck.

LG

>Omae ga mou shindeiru

NANI !?

youtube.com/watch?v=VIaaK2Rqg70

Attached: c5951e9b.gif (408x285, 67K)

zishan z2 bro ! 50 neetbux !

Attached: z2.jpg (3264x2448, 1.18M)

So Sony will focus in
GayMen

Attached: gaymer.png (777x480, 55K)

that's what they get for getting rid of Ken Kutaragi.

Attached: genyotakeda.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

You (or the average consumer) became a total cheapstake/retard, they still dominate the high end in almost every market category with about 1/10th the revenue of their chink competitors.

Mid and high end TVs, production monitors, cameras, video & audio processors, flash cards (XQD, UHS-II) is all Sony territory, even their flash card readers exceed the specs and will read shit that Kingston and Lexar won't but there is so much shit on the market that people gravitate to the shit and have two buy twice or three times before they learn their lesson.

Sony committed sudoku when they signed over the S-LCD patents and production over to Samsung 2004-2010, they should have kept their manufacturing base and kept both feet in video technology, I doubt they would last in insurance so RIP.

buy a used pioneer kuro and pull down the voltages with a screwdriver, way cheaper and better than most stuff new unless can afford an a1 oled or something

not all good things has to come shiny in a box

I like supporting Sony ok?

then apply for a job there

Unironically I might later this year.

NO NO NO IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS
The future is chink and zipperhead garbage and there's no turning back.
There phones were fine until this Gen

Well, Sony pretty much butchered the Xperia brand with their latest abomination anyway so no big loss. I'll miss having a phone with actual bezels like 5 years down the line.

Fugg. They better keep producing mirrorless cameras, I need my compact full frame fix

I find it a usual Japanese tradition to toss in the towel when things are looking bad - even if their smartphone branch isn't doing well, they should understand they still have plenty of brand recognition to recapture marketshare and people are really thaaaaat loyal to Samsung in the Android space. It is obvious that the declining sales in consumer standalone cameras, camcorders, and even some TVs is directly due to the smartphone, so what half intelligent business would leave that market? They do have interesting technologies on the horizon, but i'm wary.

They could buy the right to the Holographic Versatile Disc and finally finish the technology and put it out there for consumers.
Some company was able to get up to 1.6 tb to fit on one

Attached: hvd.jpg (616x347, 31K)

That's a shame. Their products are still mostly excellent and built like tanks compared to competing chinkshit. Hopefully they'll keep their TV business at least.

>tfw just bought an XZ1

Guess this is how a microsoft phone fag felt back then.

Attached: 1415062719023.jpg (800x968, 152K)

What do you mean? Sony doesn't really update their shit much anyway. And their software quality on phones is frankly poor. If the phone works with what you got, leave it be. They'll give you like lag or broken features in update.

>Taiwan
>Speak Mandarin
>Call themselves the Republic of China
>not chinks

I guarantee that Playstation will drop the Sony logo on their hardware

slowdown of Japanese society as whole in general

Taiwan is rightful Japanese clay though, user.

>rightful Japanese clay
I agree, doesn't change the fact that it's infested with chinks at the moment.

>what half intelligent business would leave that market?

Attached: nds.gif (409x254, 83K)

This. Sony TVs were like the only ones without PWM.

This kills the sony.
Well, I guess it makes sense, since the only company people are willing to pay a little more for is apple nowadays.

can these chink brands produce thousands of different electronics with the refinement you see here?

videocraft.com.au/cameras?SID=ojlae5frmh15utq7gti84fp8d5&manufacturer=sony

or do they just mass produce buggy shit that loosely conforms to standards and move to the next product

>pioneer kuro
Literally a rebranded panasonic

[citation needed]

apple sucks all the excitement out of technology.

it was a shitload of fun when the dead guy was running things, but now it seems like they only hold events to shill products with penny-ante feature bumps.

tim cook might be a great guy, but he's no steve jobs. maybe sony should take over apple's hardware business and apple should handle content. they can probably get the beatles contract!

what's your opinion, is tim worth the apple tax?

Attached: imacdell.jpg (540x314, 21K)

Literally bullshit. Pioneer made their own panels right up until their 2008 range. They then agreed a deal with Panasonic to use their panels from 2009 onwards, but it never happened because Pioneer pulled out of the TV business entirely in early 2009. Pansonic then bought all their patents and technologies to improve their own efforts (and it still took several years before they produced anything to rival the 2008 Kuros).

Steve's Apple was shit and you're a dirty newcunt. No one has ever praised Steve Jobs on this board. He was the biggest hindrance at Apple. A stubborn technological cockblock.

This is a really stupid move. All my prosumer electronics are from Sony.

He was a piece of shit too, created iTunes yet listened to vinyl

RIP c902

Attached: sony-ericsson-c902-cyber-shot.jpg (1200x889, 471K)

I remember that!
Pre-smartphone era was the best era. Good phones are cheaper than ever now but literally every phone looks the same with same features across the board.

I think Sony should do restructuring on the core team of consumer electronics (probably Kaz already does but they need to do that again), hire more new fresh briliant minds and let them do their thing. Also put the old experienced one supporting the new one

Just look at Nokia for example. Dying because of Microsoft, transfer brand and employee to a new team (HMD Global), and boom got 5th place in EU in just 1 year

Attached: ap_resize.php.png (728x416, 252K)

you're not a prosumer

Consumer electronics are have been moving towards commodity pricing. Basic Econ, if you cant create barriers and are therefore a "price taker" in the market, long term profits tend toward zero.
Unless they can develop some new tech and new gizmo's they are just circling the drain with most products. Cut them and focus on the ones that have barriers to competition. (PS5 and maybe TV's)

Nah, the Panasonic was a cheap imitation with the usual stupid plasma issues

Pioneer had patents on super high contrast (ECC/zero black) and nanosecond response time for all three color phosphors, also phase change from one color to another perfect for high resolution 3D, that means no "rainbows" or phosphor trails and motion that leaves CRT in the dustbin, none of this made it to production models so plasma was a wasted effort of 50 plus years, KURO is nice but no cigar

maybe you're new, i've been here since 2002 and this is a worksafe board.

steve's apple had attitude and bravado, it dared to do things the correct way. you could buy an ipod classic and get laid. that was your immediate return on investment, and the products were memorable enough to stand the test of time and hold value.

tim cook is like anderson cooper before he came out of the closet. that's not a gay criticism either: tim should go and get a steve-level reputation around him or yield to someone like jony ive.

jony can probably easily design public relations and open the events. his accent will seduce people into buying computers that aren't complete garbage.

tim is more like the father figure you'd want to convince you whatever the heck you saw on stage for the past hour is and will be worth your money.

Tim Cook was simply an exceptional suit, doing much of the heavy lifting to make Job’s vision possible. Putting Ive in charge would be as much of a mistake as putting Cook in charge was. I think Federighi actually is closer to Jobs than anyone else there.

No matter. I like my old Xperia and I'll probably keep using 20 yr old Sony products on the daily...the quality USED to be there at least....

Sony fucked up when they raised the prices on literally every object with the Sony name on it so the chinks moved in That and their ridiculous batteries/peripherals in the early 2000s.

Attached: sony actor monkey.jpg (786x1118, 425K)

Damn, my MDR 7506s are so damn comfy...

Guess I'll buy a second and a third pair.

problem with that is, even when you buy inferior quality, it's going to be obsolete before it shits out

Sony makes great stuff but it's generally items people have to replace within 10 years because of improvements.

i didn't say to put jony in charge of apple, i said to ask him to run the public relations and take lead on the marketing aspects of the things he designs.

a person's experience and earning potential are important, so it doesn't cheapen jony's position as a designer. in actuality, it strengthens it since it ensures that people know reasons for why they're being sold something.

my feeling is that steve knew the apple pipeline best because he designed that pipeline for them to succeed by selling. that's why steve could sell jony's stuff back then, and it's why a designer should be fixing what's wrong in the sales part of apple at present.

tim can sell iphones, sure.. but steve could sell you everything in that lineup and make you feel happy that you bought things from him.

apple is design first, and that's why jony should be opening those events. if you're a good designer, the fact that your product exists is payment enough solely in the design respect, and that's what most people expect of a person like jony. of course apple would pay him more, i'm sure.

if they were really smart, they'd find a way to unveil the prices first and then justify the pricetag with what follows.

They wouldn't dare kill the MDR-V6 / 7506
It's iconic

Attached: mdrv6.jpg (680x398, 104K)

I use a Sony ES CD changer from 1989.

Attached: 1526002532684s.jpg (236x236, 6K)

>Sony makes great stuff but it's generally items people have to replace within 10 years because of improvements.
>The MDR-V6 was introduced in 1985

Hmm.. really makes u think

Why are their cameras doing so bad? I thought they were pretty good

I always thought they did well selling TVs and mobile cameras. Most phones use a Sony camera, what's happening here? Also, their Xperias aren't half bad. I was actually thinking of getting one for myself soon. The problem for a lot of people is the price and you can't beat chinks in that.

It's the units sold, not how much they cost. I didn't track their history, but maybe they've moved away from compact cameras towards mirrorless cameras? They generally have a lesser market compared to DSLRs, isn't it?
Not sure if accessories are accounted within that, I assume they are.

Mirrorless was outselling DSLR last time I heard but overall sales of those types of cameras were dropping fast regardless

Who the fuck were buying Sony cameras? They are shit compared to Canon or Nikon.

and the general consumer no longer needs a camera.
now that consumer just uses his phone.
Yes, there still is a market for cameras, but it is a lot more niche nowadays.

>be white American living in Taiwan for years now and knows actual Chinese.
You're wrong, Taiwanese culture is a mixture of traditional han culture and Japanese culture. It is completely different to red guard ' let's reset our culture to zero' chinks.

Goddamn, what happened in 2015?

>2018
>investing in optical media
The last moment for such a thing is long gone. UHD Blu-Ray could have used this. They chose

Hmm... My mom's x1compact is crumbling already.

What's a good alternative?

Man this blows
I love my x compact
All these other nigger companies make these huge phones
I don't want a huge phone
I hope another company fills the compact void

RIP

My father works at Sony as an engineer. I think he'll just retire anyway.

So what am I supposed to get a few decades later when mine finally clap out?

>Blaupunkt

Attached: 1526002595938.png (709x765, 234K)

So that means no PS 5 anymore?

LG.
>yfw OLED TVs
>yfw eye sex

sce.
sony is not 1 company.
the cameras are sony imaging.

Their phones sucks but
their TVs are great though

Actually a fairly large part of the population speaks Taiwanese Hokkien aka Taiwanese, which mainland China does not understand.

Only the exiled KMT or people who fled from China refers to Taiwan as ROC.
Taiwan lists it's self as Taiwan unless in areas where China forces them to use Chinese Taipei through economic threats with countries that deal with both China and Taiwan.

A lot of the living fossils from the WWII area have japanese names, and also speak japanese.
People living in Taiwan call themselves Taiwanese, except the ones that have deep roots in the mainland china and fled from there.

youtube.com/watch?v=a9bKxx-Hm1M

Maybe stop giving money to Adam Sandler and making shitty emoji movies, eh?

*Commits sudoku*

Attached: Commits sudoku.png (500x384, 130K)

Smartphones do everything normies want.

great, so i got fucked by buying into the "3 years of android firmware updates" meme

>tfw burn in in

adam sandler is based

so is rob schneider