Blackberry

I missed the heyday of blackberrys, but the idea of a more compact/square phone with a physical keyboard and more professional/business focus really appeals to me.

Has anyone owned a blackberry classic or passport? I would really only use it as a work phone for calls, texting/messaging, checking emails, etc. so I don't need anything super sharp or compatible with the latest apps and shit like that.

>inb4 nostalgia baby

Attached: BlackBerry-Classic-Device-Left-Angle.jpg (1400x933, 244K)

Get a keyone.

Bumping out of interest.
Will older blackberries work with US cell service providers?

nah get a priv, keyone has shit build quality

I don't see why not, the ones I'm talking about came out in late 2014/5 it all should still be compatible.

The priv would be perfect if the keyboard was a slide out a la the original droid.
I'm a grandpa and that keyboard is too fucking cramped for my joints.

Thanks user, gonna look into it!

Bumping! Does anyone on Jow Forums like blackberry?

Ive got a passport, its great for my day-to-day. Scrolling with the keyboard is nice and battery life was better than the other smartphones ive used.

I didn't have a Classic or a Passport but I did have a Q10. While the Passport is completely unique and not really comparable to anything, the Classic was in my opinion inferior to the Q10 in terms of form factor. It was needlessly larger and heavier, also didn't have a removable battery.

I actually had a Priv and was really disappointed with it. The build quality for certain components (slider mechanism) was good, but for others (squeaky back, plastic camera lens cover) were inexcusable at a phone in that price range. Also it got hot and was constantly lagging and stuttering. My Q10, which was two years older, was way more fluid.

As long as they have 3G. So anything from about 2009-2010 and later. But those older phones required a separate Blackberry email subscription which costs more, and they have such an antiquated OS and such poor cameras that they're basically only good if you literally just call and text.

I've used a Classic for two years now after ditching Android. It has LTE, wireless charging, bluetooth, etc. Dedicated mute and pause button on the volume rocker.

Works decently, the Hub is great and keyboard is much better than a touchscreen. The Classic is a little slow in some items because it's underpowered but it werks.

Too bad there will never be a new version.

>Ditches Android to go to BB10

Muh nigga

I bought a Z10 after using a Samsung Galaxy S for a little over two years. My only regret is not waiting for one of the keyboard models. Such a fucking comfy phone, used it up until last year when I finally caved to the app bullshit and bought an iPhone. Which is like Blackberry in that it just werks, but unlike it in that it won't let you do anything or even view the file system. Z10 undoubtedly comfier overall for that reason. Great OS.

Truly, the good die young. RIP Windows Phone, MeeGo and BB10.

Attached: IMG_0509.jpg (4032x3024, 1.54M)

Can you explain the email situation with blackberry? I've heard it being talked about before, but I'm not sure I understand.

Older Blackberries didn't have an actual email client so it relied on a carrier-operated server to convert emails into a special format that gets sent to the phone. It costs something along the lines of $5 to $10 per month and I don't think there's any carrier that still offers the service.

Blackberry network. Subscription based service for data.

I got an old BB Bold 9650 a while ago before traveling somewhere that doesn't have CDMA. It worked ok. I really enjoyed the tiny touchpad, and the keyboard was solid. The web browser did a better job than I expected, but it certainly doesn't compare to a modern smartphone.

I never bothered with any subscription service, you can just get the old J2ME Gmail app and it works nicely. There's no push though, which I assume is what you're supposed to pay BB a subscription fee for.

I had q10 for the long time, dropped it at some point after blackberry made it clear that they won't support it any further. Hands down best phone i've ever had, and bbos10 was absolutely amazing, but having no basic stuff like adblock in browser was quite a bother. It runs older android apps, but i just don't think it has enough juice for modern standards. It runs stupidly smooth because bbos10 is stupidly smooth, but anything that requires computation power immediately shows how old and low-end this phone is. You get through smooth, smooth menus, and then wait five seconds for some bigger app activity to load.

I wouldn't go back, but if you want something 'less' than a smartphone but with god tier qwerty, amazing build quality, and os that was simply the best on the market when it was still hot shit, i guess you can try it.

and bbos10 user interface is god tier, you won't find anything smoother or more user-friendly anywhere, ever

AT&T disbanded their BlackBerry teams ages ago. You need to call in and poke around with multiple Frontline reps.

Usually, tell them to check the manual - BlackBerry section. It has numbers for them to call BlackBerry to discuss BIS and provisioning.

Getting BIS working on ATT is nowhere near as painful as t-mobile, Verizon, or sprint.

There is also a workaround that involves hex editing, but more fixes will likely come out as BIS is rumored to be ending December 2019.

Attached: 4L_CJqTIGFX.jpg (272x445, 30K)

if you look hard enough, you will find custom roms that debloat the fuck out of them.

why not just get a 9900? peak classic blackberry, and has 3.5G so it'll work for a few more years.

app support is definitely on its way out though.

>Has anyone owned a blackberry classic or passport?
Owned a classic.

>I would really only use it as a work phone for calls, texting/messaging, checking emails, etc. so I don't need anything super sharp or compatible with the latest apps and shit like that.
Phone class and sms/mms should work just fine.
Email might be problematic. On the last firmware I used (10.3.2), they still haven't implemented proper support for TLS1.2. Not sure if they've fixed it by now (10.3.3 is the latest one).
Also check the supported LTE bands.

*phone calls.

Wait for a keytwo*

just dont use a phone, its a glorified alarm clock most of the time