MicroLED when?

Fuck the OLED meme. MicroLED should be the standard for smaller screens by 2019 and larger ones by 2022

Attached: 5862E6DF-999B-4A49-8A5C-F228C1C6E5A5.png (1400x563, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iTNtTL08Og8
macrumors.com/2018/03/18/apple-microled-displays/
youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Cik7-7ic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OLED jews won't allow it. They profit from shitty OLED lifespan

You have it backwards. MicroLED is going to come to big fuckin TVs first and then very slowly advance into normal TVs, desktop monitors, laptops, phones then smartwatches.

CLEDIS Pls

Attached: sonycrystalhandson-2l.jpg (1000x731, 173K)

Apple has hundreds of engineers researching microLED. I doubt they plan to make TVs with it first.

How long will be seeing this continuous update on monitor tech? Who can keep up !?

>They profit from shitty OLED lifespan
my galaxy S2 is still going just fine I seriously think all this concern over OLED longevity is caused by dumb users leaving the brightness on max all the time
wouldn't touch an OLED monitor with a ten foot pole though but if microLED solves the burn in issue would totally pay $500 for a microLED monitor even if it was only 1080p60Hz assuming it can get those same sweet ass black levels as regular OLED

>microLED
>1080p60Hz
>$500
see you in a decade

>75hz when
>120hz when
>144hz when
>end of life when

Any decent 21" CRT will do 85Hz at 1600x1200 and 160Hz if you drop the resolution to 640x480.
>inb4 thicc
You're not moving your desktop every other day.

can your CRT do this

youtube.com/watch?v=iTNtTL08Og8

mLED could theoretically be the end-all-be-all for our current conception of what screens 'are' so long as they have a high refresh, perfect blacks, and great color reproduction. By the time mLEDs come to mass market in like 2025 we'll already be hearing rumblings about significant advances in laser projectors and 3d spatial imagery.

No but it's also not a cinema screen. CLEDIS will definitely find a place in movie theaters for its infinite contrast ratio and bright colors but will it ever be available for consumer use as TVs or computer monitors?

>haha you don't need x technology when you have y
>you idiot it's not for viewing like a cinema which is what you want x for how stupid are you I'm so shmurt

>MUH OLED JEWS
Are you retarded? The OLED jew is the same entity as the microLED jew, Samsung.

Samsung already has The Wall TVs slated to launch commercially next year or something. Apple is just teaming up with firms to research it.

This image is fucking retarded. The OLED is far easier and cheaper to manufacture. It's part of the reason why the market shifted towards OLED over competing technologies. As it turns out manufacturing the crystals and circuits for those microLEDs is FUCKING HARD. Right now those ultra tiny microled displays are only viable in labs where they can afford to spend 6 figures on an handful of experimental sample. The middle of the road ones will be even harder to make. Larger ones can be assembled, small ones can be fabricated like on a die. 27" Too small to assemble easily, too large for wafers.

Sony was deep in micro LED until Samsung blueballed them with their "LED TV" marketing blitz years ago, I remember Sony making a big deal about Samsung misusing using that term for being deceptive but the genius of Samsung's move is that they gobbled market-share and inoculated the market against future "LED" campaigns

s'cool I can wait

Vaporware that will never see widespread commercial adoption. You're truly delusional if you think that it's coming next year.

No. The largest silicon wafers get up to 12" and manufacturing a 4K LED array on one would mean each subpixel would have a dimension of about 23 microns x 69 microns. This is true MicroLED but it will never scale up to television sized panels.

Samsung's ridiculous, hand-built, tiled 'The Wall' is 146", meaning each 4K subpixel is about 280 microns x 840 microns (0.28 millimeters x 0.84 millimeters). It's 'MicroLED' in marketing bullshit language only. It's be more accurate to call it MilliLED.

Fabbing LEDs on a different substrate than silicon such as glass or plastic at TV-sized scale would be fantastic (the holy grail) and would bridge these two classes of 'MicroLED', but nobody is even close to being close to doing so.

Apple are investigating the technology, but even the most optimistic rumours about their progress put the first products to use it several years away. And that's basically hoping and guessing that they'll solve the challenges involved.

macrumors.com/2018/03/18/apple-microled-displays/

How fucking retarded and out of touch are you while having the audacity to post on a tech board. MicroLED is an eventuality, a lot of people are working on it but Apple the most. They first time you'll see MicroLED in a commercial product is the 4th Apple Watch, maybe 5th.

Apple can't even release a wireless charger in the same year they announce it and you think there's a chance in hell of them being first to market with a new display tech, let alone in the next watch or two?

Yes. You have to understand Apple does volumes like no one else involving often new manufacturing techniques that haven't been tried and tested fully. If they just did the same thing as the competition and had their much, much lower volume requirements then yeah they could ship things quick. AirPods were delayed and in short supply for literally over a year, because they were totally new. Not a rehash of anything.

Whatever dog.. people like you said the same thing about Plasma and LCD screens.

OLEDs are set to outlast both of those technologies.

CRTs require 2m deep desks to have the monitor at a decent workable distance or else you'll burn your eyes to short sightedness.

Also imagine having to explain to high status people why you have a CRT in your house. Cringe.

>Also imagine having to explain to high status people why you have a CRT in your house. Cringe.

Imagine worrying about petty things like this. Cringe.

>Imagine using word cringe unironically
cringe

why is it that always the shittiest tech wins over the market
we now could have sed/ped screens and no one would even care for what is next

>high refresh, perfect blacks, and great color reproduction
crt has all this, but we use lcd instead

Imagine being so poor you use one screen for everything. I have a 65" 4K LED TV in my living room for watching movies and playing newer consoles and on my PC I use a CRT since not all games run at the same resolution.

Because it is the cheapest to produce. The price for the consumer stays the same, but the company makes more profit.

Money making 101

Could CRT resolution and size limitations theoretically be solved? I'd buy a 4k 32'' CRT that could do 2k at 160hz

>my galaxy S2 is still going just fine
Shut the fuck up my S2 screen is completely tinted green.

Its called FED (field emission display)

youtube.com/watch?v=ML2Cik7-7ic

>Futaba Corporation has been running a Spindt-type development program since 1990. They have produced prototypes of smaller FED systems for a number of years and demonstrated them at various trade shows, but like the Candescent efforts no large-screen production has been forthcoming. Development continues on a nanotube based version.
>Sony, having abandoned their efforts with Candescent, licensed CNT technology from Carbon Nanotechnologies Inc. of Houston, Texas, who were the public licensing agent for a number of technologies developed at Rice University's Carbon Nanotechnology Laboratory. In 2007 they demonstrated an FED display at a trade show in Japan and claimed they would be introducing production models in 2009. They later spun off their FED efforts to Field Emission Technologies Inc., which continued to aim for a 2009 release.
>Their plans to start production at a former Pioneer factory in Kagoshima were delayed by financial issues in late 2008. On March 26, 2009 Field Emission Technologies Inc. (FET) announced that it was closing down due to the inability to raise capital.

Its 5 years away
Then in 5 years it's going to cost premium and only appear on some 1k+ smartphones

Imagine being so poor you base your socioeconomic status off of your monitor

I move apartments yearly. i do not want to move a crt once a year

What's the polarizer for?

my 2560x1440 korean 96hz ips that i got 3 years ago for $300 is really really good and super great and awesome

>Apple
>working on its own screen tech instead of just buying from Samsung or LG.

suuuure

Of course you don't. In university I used a laptop and left my desktop at home.

>home
wow good for you mate, im over here in the real world, not your fucking fantasy world. I change apartments yearly, fuckin deal with it. I can fit all my possessions in a single SUV. blow me bitch

Fucking Samsung and their marketing. They have a very interesting technology in development called QLED but they rape it by using the same name for bog standard LCD screens.

Imagine an alternate reality where vector displays had been researched and improved continuously since the 1960s instead of raster displays.

Fuckers ruining everything as usual. We could have had perfect displays now if not for the flat screen jews.

All of apples products are rehashes

Not him but mine is great, just installed android 7.1 on it too.

This and SED

>take away the last remaining advantage of crt
>wonder why it sells like shit
LCD (and soon OLED) monitors are superior to CRT in all aspects except not looking like ass at anything but a single resolution

Photo-emissive quantum dots are a lot closer to being market ready than anything MicroLED, and will be able to offer significant improvement to both LCD and OLED while leveraging existing production lines to keep costs down.

Attached: nanosys quantum dot displays.jpg (959x1411, 322K)

watt?!!!!

*snap*

But how good are the blacks?

ask ur mom lol

my mom is black so what's your point, child?

plasma is dead, you know?
that's not a very good argument

Good luck waiting on new amazing display technology. That's a losing game with a massive fucking graveyard of prodigal sons that were "only a few years away".

QDCF (i.e., photo-emissive QD) won't improve black levels on LCD by itself. But it will be coupled with better light rejection in the panel, and - at least on high end models - miniLED local dimming.

Where QDCF should help a lot for LCD is in viewing angles, where it should be better than IPS and close to OLED.

On the OLED side of things, obviously black levels aren't a problem, but QDCF will improve efficiency a lot. Right now a lot of the light produced by the OLED elements in WOLED panels is filtered out to produce the three primary colors. QDCF does away with all of that by converting all of the OLED's light energy into each color. That means the OLED elements won't have to get as bright to produce the same perceived brightness at the output, which in turn should improve OLED lifespan and mitigate burn in to the point where it may be a non-issue.

>Where QDCF should help a lot for LCD is in viewing angles

Who
The
fuck
cares

I've never had an issue with viewing angles my entire life. I want better color and blacks.

Forgot to mention QDCF should also help with IPS glow, VA black crush, and various other bullshittery LCD panels all suffer from.

Viewing angles are less of a problem for TVs, but for monitors where you're ~2 feet away it sucks when the edges of the screen look noticeably different from the center due to glow/black crush etc.

RGBW screens when?

we had those about 8 or 9 years ago. I remember Dell sold an RGBW XPS laptop.

I'm in the market for a 1440p ips monitor what is it called?

>RGBW
As in RBG with a white sub pixel? We have those already and they're generally seen as inferior. Necessary for OLEDs though, also why LG is the only real player since they bought to Kodak patent.

>quantum dots

Fucking meme speak.

Not at all. Being able to turn "dirty" light into pure frequencies is pretty useful. Putting QDs at the FRONT of an LCD display stack sidesteps or mitigates a whole host of issues that LCD has. Don't make the mistake of dismissing the technology just because the way it's used at the moment (in backlights) is underwhelming.

Attached: Quantum_Dots_with_emission_maxima_in_a_10-nm_step_are_being_produced_at_PlasmaChem_in_a_kg_scale.jpg (1920x1080, 305K)

10 years or longer

Attached: PhEnhQLED-OLED-PhEmQLED-ElEmQLED-mLEDQLED.jpg (634x1856, 716K)