/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkPadX200.jpg (3024x3024, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/9Cell-OEM-Battery-45N1007-FOR-Lenovo-ThinkPad-L410-L520-T420-T430-T530-W530-70/253387832903
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw you fell for the thinkpad, trannyboot, AND linux meme all at the same time

If you're thinking about getting an x220, throw that idea out the window and get a 2570p.

Attached: elitebook2.jpg (899x1038, 120K)

>chicklet

How ded is my battery?

Attached: ss+(2018-05-22+at+08.01.45).png (530x521, 43K)

how common are white spots/pressure marks on used thinkpads?

>core-let

half ded

very close to being a fire hazard

fell for the standalone WM meme and I have no idea how to increase the trackpoint speed/acceleration.
Any pointers?

Attached: 1522540495286.jpg (1122x1200, 109K)

>HP
Latitudes are the superior Thinkpad alternative.

It's true. I'm frustrated that these elitebooks can't use msata SSDs.

Looking for batteries is scaring me

is that a 42++?

genuine 55+

Same, I'm considering getting a battery from aliexpress and I know I get what I pay for... I just don't it to be a fucking fire hazard

this girl is very ugly
please delete this photo

You could also go to a battery replacement shop.

posted this quite late in the last thread sorry
thinking of picking up a t42 512mb ram 40gb hdd 1.6ghz for very basic use and programming.
is it worth it for $50 or am i getting jewed for my memepad

$50 is too much for a T42, unless it's in pristine condition.

A485 when?

Why not just spend ~100-200 and get something that will give you no troubles for 5 years or more? There's no reason to scrape the barrel.

install xinput
it's pretty straightforward
here's my settings for my previous T420
xinput --set-prop "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 0.35

Which thinkpad is underrated?

The L440 I think. It has everything the T440p has plus an expresscard slot. Maybe the build is a little worse though

Requesting again from last thread, that webm of the Thinkpad getting abused by hose, tossing, fire etc.

I feel that at a certain point, Thinkpads just sort of bottom out. Either you can pay between $30-$50 to buy one or people will literally give them away for free.

>tfw got a T42p for free from a friend in second year uni, circa 2012

Best computer for mid-2000s gaming

I assume that modern Thinkpads are not as durable/dependable as the old models, but are they still reasonably so compared to laptops in general?
Is there any benefit to buying used Thinkpads outside the T/X/W series, or should I just go for some other brand if I need a laptop that modern?

Specifically I was eyeing the Helix, since the top can detach completely making it essentially a tablet without being as thick as something like the X200t.

ebay.com/itm/9Cell-OEM-Battery-45N1007-FOR-Lenovo-ThinkPad-L410-L520-T420-T430-T530-W530-70/253387832903

How scammed will I be?

I just got one for $80 lmao.

>girl

>Oh, shit, thinkpad thread. Better look like im doing something.
>Opens htop

What's the last good Thinkpad with a ExpressCard slot? Currently using a T420, tried the eGPU setup and I'm very pleased with the result so I might upgrade.

Could you meme me in here? Was just about to buy the x220 via eBay.

Buy an X230 instead

Unlike x220 and x230 it has a socketted CPU and extra drive bay for 2.5" sata. The back panel comes off without screws. Elitebooks are cheaper than Thinkpads generally. No wifi whitelist on 2570p stock.

Downsides is no msata SSD support and no IPS. The chiclet keyboard isn't that bad imo, the keys have a nice texture and don't wear as easily as TP's keys.

>extra drive bay for 2.5" sata.
After replacing the dvd drive with an adapter caddy, that is

If SSDs are just as durable as HDD it would not bother me but I assume it is not. Also throwing in a fresher CPU sounds enticing. Keyboard is not a concern, but what can you do with the socket CPU? I want to buy a laptop for as cheap as possible but retaining the most value for my money. I posted in the laptop general about it.

>implying they don't have the same chink nades as you could get from aliexpress

I have a librebooted x200 but came with a trash TN panel. What IPS screen models are compatible? Ideally higher res than my current 1280x720.

At least you can test them and probably get a warranty unless you have crap laws.

bought this a couple years ago best deal ever

Attached: ssss.png (907x106, 12K)

Interested in hopping on the cheap business laptop bus.

I simply need something that has maximum value for as little $$ as possible.

I won't do anything except browse Jow Forums and YouTube with a ton of tabs open and some email.

Buying a X200 or t400 from craigslist for around 70-100 dollars is the way to go

x201 or t410 is acceptable. t420 and x220 is trash do NOT buy one.

Tablet models are nothing but gimmicks

> Can't take M.Sata SSDs

glad I bought an anniversary thinkpad to post screenfetch threads at midnight on a wednesday

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-22 23-45-23.png (1920x1080, 1.39M)

They are legally responsible for what they sell you though, and it's much easier to get refunds/take legal action against a business than it is some random guy on ebay.

>midnight on a wednesday
It isn't tomorrow until I wake up

Switched to i3 because I got kinda bored with KDE after 2 years. Will probably switch back when sid gets 5.13 though.
Really fucking missing the qt filepicker

Attached: IMG_20180510_015425.jpg (2592x1944, 1.86M)

Department paying for a laptop and I'm thinking of getting a maxed x1 carbon and installing linux. Is it easy to undervolt on linux?

The fan on my T400 has started to click. Is it gonna break? Can it be fixed? Should I be ordering a new one ASAP?

>x201 or t410 is acceptable
"Acceptable" as in "better than the X200 and the T400 respectively".

Bought a refurbished T420 about a year and a half ago, installed xubuntu 16.04. Everything has been nice so far, but I am wondering one thing: How loud and effective is the fan on these supposed to be? Because I suspect either something is fucked, or some settings are wrong -- I barely get any noticeable airflow out of the air ducts even when the thing is running insanely hot, and no noticeable noise. A friend has a T410 and that thing sounds like a jet plane in comparison.
Please help, I can barely play Thief Gold without the thing running hot and starting to lag!

Post temps.

I'm not at home right now.

>2570p
2570pl 32-bit Computing vs
x220 64-bit Computing

check out that medium load temp too, noctua paste is great

Attached: 2018-05-23-1527063712_1366x768.png (1366x768, 1.65M)

That's your hdd user

I have no HDD.

How is the screen and keyboard quality between Latitudes and EliteBooks?

>status bar at the top
Don't.

What do you even mean by this?

I own models from all three, my main machine is an elitebook.
It easily has the most tactile laptop keyboard I've used, and the keys themselves are a good 20% heavier than the others. Makes even my T60, T61 and T500 keyboards feel mushy in comparison.
My bars have been on top most likely longer than you've been alive.

Just buy a mac you colossal faggot.

>my main machine is an elitebook
Which model? I've been looking at buying a 8460p for cheap, but I hear it's abnormally loud.

>top bars = mac os
Did you forget to take your pills again user?
my 8470p is as noisy as my t420, both are repasted and had new fans installed

I will buy new E480/580 i7 rx550 (800€). If temps are too high i will repaste and undervolt(i saw t480s i7 model reaching 93°C ), this generation is not full plastic like Ex70, it has aluminium reinforced wrist rest and full metal display lid so i expect it to be better than my asus X751LD.
(don't have budget for new T series and i don't want dual core U series cpu)
Should i go with 14 or 15 inch model and why.

Attached: e480.jpg (638x489, 51K)

I'd go with 14 just to be portable

will it be problem to switch from 17" to 14"? When i put my browser in window mode to emulate 14" full screen it looks kinda small

17 is impossible to carry around imo
You could always just use an external monitor at home

>17 is impossible to carry around
what kind of lil bitch are you?

descent kek, I should probably go to bed
17' are at a minimum going to be 6-7lbs, great as a desktop machine, awful for being portable.

>17' are at a minimum going to be 6-7lbs
still lighter than a kid scholl bag, stop being a little bitch

>le trve kvlt old thinkpad club
When the T400 came out, hipsters recoiled in disgust. They would never own such an abomination that wasn't even designed by IBM.
Oh wonder, 99% of them now use a T400 or newer. What happened? Is it not an abomination anymore? The real reason is these hipsters are just broke as fuck and suffer from fox & grapes. If they had infinite budget, they would jump on an X carbon or latest T4x0s model instantly.
I bet my 99% of them will use a T450 or newer in 7 years.

eGPU whos tried one with a X230 ?

Attached: pirate 1340132242150.jpg (1600x1200, 695K)

has anyone ever tried ubuntu mate on the x220 ?
currently running xubuntu and was wondering if changing to mate was worth it. right now i can run like 10 programs at the same time and it wont screw up. thx

nha stay on Xfce

No dude eBay refunds you not the dude
Then they fight it out with the cunt

So on the t60, correct me if I'm wrong but the audio volume is handled within the firmware yes? Is there a way the percentage can be read from linux? like maybe there's a file in /sys or somewhere

ngl, your entire set up looks pretty gross

best value for moneys?

tell me about the 768p x230 with ips lads

Is this a good deal?

T440p
i5-4200m Dual Core
8GB DDR3 RAM
180GB SSD
$300

What can I do with the FireWire on a T530? The expresscard slot is still useful but I can't find any chinkshit to plug into a FireWire port

Jow Forumstpg

Attached: IMG-20170429-WA0033.jpg (853x1280, 143K)

Which thinkpad is generally better, the x60 or the t60?

Attached: Majima.gif (318x194, 1.44M)

(you)

fuck off virgin

t. 2540p Chad with a 16:10 screen

>16:10
>chad

what's up 16:9 slanteye?

21:9 masterrace
no black bars on movies

so is t420 a good model? noise level? etc
i will be using it to browse Jow Forums, youtube and work on programming.
if not, can anyone recommend a model?

x230 ;3

hmm thanks, i will have a look.

What's the worst thing that has happened to your thinkpad and how did it handle said thing?

is this a major issue? or would i need to replace the mousepad?

Attached: tear.jpg (1200x1600, 377K)

Is it true that it's possible to put a 1440p display in the x220? Would that kill the battery life?

I've got multiple X220's with the same problem. I try to put them into sleep mode and they randomly shut-off like 10% of the time instead. Anyone else ever had that problem? What the fuck gives?

Seconding this. I have a spare 970 laying around and I want to know if anyone has tried using the EXP GDC with a t430.

That's just a sticker. Change it and you're good to go.

it looks good. I fitted an ips screen into my x230 a couple weeks back, The difference from the tn panel is huge, you can really see it.