/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 427249 bikini_top cleavage dress feet hanayome_to_maou headphones nopan open_shirt shiromoc (1162x1746, 1.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Transfer-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0775YF36R/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527062762&sr=1-4&keywords=bluetooth adapter for pc
youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 89357633-85C2-40EE-A36A-BB3990CD984A.jpg (3198x2970, 1.7M)

Should I get DT1990s to complement my STAX?

Probably. I would.

What do you own?

I used to have AD900x, but roommate broke them a while back. I really liked their sound. I'm thinking about getting some AD1000x, or another set in that price range that's open. Any recommendations?

try getting some good closed back first

Like what

A lot of IEMs, HD 579, HD600, PortaPros, ATH-A700
I don't own a lot of full-size cans because I travel a lot (and IEMs are way more convenient to travel with), but DT 1990s have been on my list for "when I see them on sale, or stop wanting to wait".
I also use my LS50s more when I'm at home. Still, if I owned Stax, I'd want at least one dynamic pair to go with them. I dunno, why do YOU want to buy them?

The 009S from stax is basically exactly that. My main headphones are the L700 AND L300 LE but even I was impressed with what you can get from those stax's for so much money.
They're es and very fragile too.

Beyer sex build quality + pairing with bottlememe crack

>in that price range

Seems like a good enough set of reasons to me.

stop being poor

Lol stop buying overpriced shit, virgin

>Angry over how others spend their money
Sort yourself out, mate.

I want to lick their feet

>Angry
Lol k

No one cares that you bought jew headphones.
Learn to read.

what DAC should i get to pair with my O2 amp?

>No one cares that you bought jew headphones.
kek nice try schlomo. stax are glorious japanese headphones

Attached: samurai.png (600x329, 180K)

>jew headphones
>stax
They fear the samurai.

Based Stax

d30

>Kek nice try schlomo
Edifier owns stax, a company run by kikes.

The Stax 009 is like 4,000 USD.
Asked for headphones around the price of 300usd and they liked the sound.

Hpg used to be decent

fostex th-610 or th-x00 ebony
E-Mu teak
aeon flow closed
denon AH-D7200

stax gang what is a good budget amp for my sr507? srm 252?

Bottlehead Crack

>Hpg used to be decent
oh I bet it was

Attached: hpgisforshitposting.png (1450x536, 106K)

maki user owned a th-x00 ebony and an aeon flow closed. I owned an e-mu teak as well as currently own an atticus. we both think that kannon is the closed back complement to STAX. zeos wants to review it so I'm sending it to him soon

Pretty sure they're run by chinks

>AD1000x
hm, they are a little warmer than 900s but in same paradigm of AT headphones, so probably best choice for you
there is always hd600 all rounder in that price range
may as well look at planar like 400i or 400S, m1060 if you need a better bass

haha i want a serious answer. pricejapan is down and i cant find a good cheap drivers for my stax

just buy the cheapest you can find. anything will do. my srm-001 runs my L300LE more than loud enough and it's a fucking IEM stax amp from 97'

how comfy are DT1990s?

not as comfy out of the box as 990s but I guess it gets better over time

better than 600s? 600s getting very annoying to wear on 3rd year, i'm thinking to go dt1990 just for comfort issues

Are stax iems good?
Pic unrelated

Attached: IMG_20170929_201733~01.jpg (1250x983, 232K)

no experience on those

>stax iems
pain in the ass

just tell me, do dt1990 touch your ears?

But they go in your ears

No but they have strong clamping

>strong clamping
that gets better with time, thanks a lot

they have a wide bore tip that causes your ears to ache over time. they need a perfect seal so they need to be in snug. they use double AA batteries so you have to mod them to take rechargeable batteries. the list goes on

well lads i bought the qc35 II recently and i gotta say i love these things. Sound great, the noise canceling is great, and comfort level is fucking awesome. A++ do recommend

thanks based advertisement user

I recently got a pair of sony wh-1000xm2 free from work and just opened them up today. I'm using them wired on my pc connected to my mic, but there's static all the time. I've tried turning off the noise canceling and cycling through the settings and even turning off the power to the headset, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the static.
I know it must be possible because between switching settings all static stops and a voice tells me what setting I'm using, but then the static resumes after. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me out with this

Might be a ground loop. Try using it wireless with your phone or something.

does it happen with wireless as well?
they should be shielded enough from interference
My guess even wired they go through internal dac? did you connect them to line out? because it may cause static if not

Why not the D50? Is it overkill?

yes

sorry I meant d10 not d30. d10 is cheaper and measures better

I just paired them with my phone and they work perfectly, no static at all.
I wouldn't know where to begin to connect them, pretty new to stuff like this. How would I go about doing that? Again, I really appreciate the help

Try connecting them directly to your PC instead of your mic, or moving power outlets around. It's either noise from the mic or a ground loop (provided that your mic is separately powered). If you can't fix a ground loop then just buy a $10 bluetooth dongle that has aptx.

Try plugging them into a different audio output on your PC if you have one. Usually the one directly from teh motherboard on the rear of the PC will be less noisy.

Otherwise you're gonna want to buy either a bluetooth dongle or a cheap USB DAC off amazon, something like the behringer uca202

I'll give that a try right now. Just curious, would there be any delay with using bluetooth on my pc for these headphones if I wanted to use them for gaming?

has the odac become obsolete?

I tried all my other audio outputs and none of them even connected it. Guess I'm going to have to buy a bluetooth adapter

amazon.com/Bluetooth-Receiver-Transfer-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B0775YF36R/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1527062762&sr=1-4&keywords=bluetooth adapter for pc

This one is on the cheap side, but has decent reviews. Should I go for it, or spend a few more dollars for another one? Thanks for the help guys

oh onononononono

dont tell me they've mistaken AUSTRALIA for AUSTRIA

Attached: aus.png (783x295, 16K)

Unlikely, probably going through Dubai or sumshit.

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Nice.

Attached: 1516880988581.png (936x526, 13K)

OL DAC

HD 600, or 650? Or are the 660s worth the price?
Currently have AKG k267's. Bass is nice but I don't want it drowning out other shit.

I listen to mostly pop-punk (shit taste, I know), metal and synthwave, some other electronic music and hip-hop occasionally.

Going to be driven by a Little Dot MkII with Russian 6N6P and Mullard 5654 tubes. Still deciding on a DAC but it'll most likely be a Schiit Modi 2 unless there's a better option.

Attached: toobn.jpg (1412x942, 298K)

From where are people buying big boy Stax these days?

Can I get a decent DAC for $100? Or should I wait to spend more?

>Bass is nice but I don't want it drowning out other shit.
Then either HD600 or HD660S. HD650 will sound veiled because of the dampened treble and its midbass hump.
General consensus is that HD660S isn't worth it at its price.

660s owner here. They are great but I don't think they're worth paying the extra $200 for, $500 is too much for these headphones. $400-$450 is where these headphones should sit imo. 650 is probably better for your music, although if you really don't mind paying $500 660s is really good.

Stay away from Schiit dacs they measure very poorly. Topping D10-D30 gets shilled here a lot. JDS Labs OL DAC is also a good choice, plus you can get custom laser engraving on it for free.

Attached: 20180305_205619.jpg (3264x2448, 2.78M)

>Can I get a decent DAC for $100?
Absolutely. Look at Topping D10, D30, OL-DAC.
But... do you actually need a DAC? Is there something really wrong about your computer's sound? If you don't have an amp, that'll make much more of a difference than a DAC.

Okay I fucked up
I meant DAP not DAC my bad.

what secrets does the mysterious stax srm-d50 hold? what will the gauge on the front be like?

So if they were the same price, the 660s would be preferable over the 650?

I guess it's worth mentioning that I will be also playing games with these cans, and I've heard the 600's aren't good for that for one reason or another. Any notes on that?

OL DAC looks better than the Schiit stuff anyway, so fair enough.
Any recommendations for an input switch? Was going to go with the Schiit SYS for that simply because of the plan to get a Modi 2 and they'd look decent together, but if I'm not getting a Schiit DAC I'm not going to get that. Less than $100 would be nice.

Attached: toobn2.jpg (1412x942, 299K)

Never mind on the switch, JDS also has a switcher. My bad.

I'm rocking my DT990s here on the bus because I don't care how that looks. I've given up on my portable DAC because OTG cable killed my phone microusb port (repaired now).
We need better plugs and sockets.

>So if they were the same price, the 660s would be preferable over the 650?
Yes.
>and I've heard the 600's aren't good for that for one reason or another
Nonsense. They're less colored than HD650, which makes them better.
Gamers tend to like headphones that exaggerate soundstage, but you shouldn't take headphone advice from gamers.

So now it's down to 600 vs 660S for me then, cause the price difference isn't that big of a deal for me. Considering I use a tube amp I've learned I like "fun" over accuracy, would the 660S be better for me in that case?

You'd be better off with HD600 if you want to mess around.
HD660S is much more efficient and lower impedance, and does sound the same plugged everywhere. It's not a good one to play with amps.

660s is the best in the series, just overpriced.

youtube.com/watch?v=6t13YuPVOBg
Tyll didn't like the HD660S.

hd600 is gold standard, get that and start saving for stax!!!!

tfw there's nobody to replace him

I bought a piggy bank. Just need another 5290 euros for my glorious SR009S

>piggy bank
I suggest using investing on Index Funds instead.

Attached: w5ewOBGIs.png (600x450, 413K)

In that case no

>and I've heard the 600's aren't good for that for one reason or another.
lies that Z spread because he plays shit games.
if you play RPG with a lot of voice acting or nature,ambient sound - 600 are the best. Games with content(not shitty mp shooters) are perfect with neutral headphones. I would recommend to look at DT1990 as well, but those are expensive outside europe.

>Tyll didn't like the HD660S.
he likes it warm to hot, I view his reviews in that light - do correction to his assessment, always

I want to buy a new pair of IEMs, I've used the Etymotic mk5 for a long time and I really liked them, but the problem I had twice with them is that after a lot of use the cables broke. Now i want new ones at around the same price (up to € 100). I prefer a neutral sound but don't mind a bit more bass because I mostly listen to bass-heavy music.

I'm thinking of buying the Shure SE215 because of the replacable cable and good value. Is there a better option in that price range?

Escape from Tarkov is like the only thing I play; a sense of direction is the most important factor as far as games are concerned.

you do not play video games then, considering your music taste -audio-technica stuff might be for you
personally I think soundstage is a meme, detail is more important to pinpoint directions and 600-660S got a ton of detail
sound in game that comes from far away still sounds from far away, no amount of superficial soundstage can change that

the days of akg shilling were a simpler time

Attached: IMG_20180518_015741117.jpg (2080x1170, 747K)

Is it weird that I think closed headphones are the only ‘proper’ headphones? I’m wearing them in the first place because I want sound isolation, I prefer speakers if I’m going to be playing music out into the room.

I agree, I really enjoy by hd600 for rpgs and adventure games. When I play no more room in hell I switch to my original ad900 for muh immersion

why would you think that's weird?

Because all high-end headphones are open back

Vintage Sennheiser HD410 for 12 eurobucks. Yea or nay?

Not expecting anything super hifi here, considering they're a really old classic model, but are those one of the better vintage Senns worth picking up?

Attached: senn_hd410_1.jpg (500x333, 53K)

the 2 worst audiophiles

Attached: 606855443_1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

If you are putting that much money into headphones it implies you probably don't want normal speakers but instead you want EAR SPEAKERS.

HD600 cat best cat.