Wats the highest quality image format

wats the highest quality image format

Attached: tiff-logo.png (342x220, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bmp

I was gonna shitpost but that's actually a pretty interesting question.
I'm gonna answer TIFF/A. It's a work in progress as far as I know but still I've yet to see a better one. Then again, what is "better" anyway? How can a thing like "highest quality" be measured?

.xcf

RAW

PDF

In terms of quality vs size, nothing beats jpeg.

>How can a thing like "highest quality" be measured?
We aren't talking about subjective image quality. The highest quality format is the format which preserves the most information from the original input. That would be a lossless format which preserves information at a 1:1 ratio. No compression.

Most digital cameras come with a RAW format, which takes data directly from the sensor and stores it with a bit-depth of 12-16 commonly.

> bit-depth of 12-16
are there any image formats with variable bitdepth?

Wrong. If you are storing rasterised vector graphics the PNG compression algorithm results in smaller files. Jpeg is better for photographs (images with lots of variation and noise).

.eyes

but even JPG is shit for photographs in modern standards
even PNG is outdated to an extent, notably the low color depth

anything lossless

Not sure. In PNG there are 6 different colour modes, which change the total footprint of the pixel, however the channel depth remains the same. There might be some zlib flags (png's compression algo) which save space by trimming bits but I'm no expert.

>The highest quality format is the format which preserves the most information from the original input.
GIF meets this requirement

>That would be a lossless format which preserves information at a 1:1 ratio. No compression.
there are lossless yet compressed formats. not compressing at all only wastes space

GIF is also lossless

/thread

There's no such thing as lossless in photography.

Even raw formats are compressed. There's no format that saves everything from the sensor.

I've worked with all these formats and jpeg is the best to my eyes. Even with the supposed png use cases, high quality jpeg can look nearly as good at a smaller size.

Not sure where you guys are getting the idea that something can come close to jpeg in terms of size vs quality. Maybe you're just too accustomed to shitty jpeg quality. There's a lot of shitty quality jpegs for a reason, the compression is really good. You can shrink something down and maintain some degree of quality.

What's your point? If a format is lossless then it meets the requirement for the highest image quality, which answers the question that was asked.

>there are lossless yet compressed formats
Do you understand the definition of lossless you mongoloid?

>Even raw formats are compressed. There's no format that saves everything from the sensor.
Then by definition RAW format is uncompressed, since it is most data you can possibly get from your sensor. If you could get more (ie ram dump) from the sensor, then that would be the new RAW format, but you can't.

It probably has nothing to do with the Toronto International Film Festival.

>Do you understand the definition of lossless you mongoloid?
"lossless" as a term in imaging is too vague.
Is PNG lossless? No. Can't do 32bit color.
Is TIFF lossless? No. Same problems.
RAW? Close, but no cigar. I can't save my 9001bit color photos without losing quality.

>highest quality image format
>only mentions raster
vector is the master race

Attached: 56492658.jpg (377x264, 22K)

JPG

there are things you can do only in raster formats but not in vector formats

and there are things you can do only in vector formats but not in raster formats
example: circle

touché

You take a picture with a regular film camera then go over the film with an electron microscope, storing the data in a text file

Attached: 1527036924512.jpg (254x253, 11K)

USELESS
S
E
L
E
S
S

lossless means no data is lost, not uncompressed, retard.
see flac, zip etc

>32bit
Then exr is your friend
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEXR
>9001bit
Sure, buddy.

He's right tho, if you raw were truly uncompressed, they would be like over 100MB.

zip is not lossless

>bit depth define if it's lossless
Retard. GIF is lossless and can only display 256 colors.
Lossless mean that you can open the file then resave it without any data loss.

This

PDF and EPS are the best formats then?

True, but you can embed raster images into most vector formats.

Wrong
You can even embed PNG or JPEG image in base64 in a SVG

Zip is lossless you mouth breathing mongoloid. Also, compressed formats can in fact be lossless if all the original information is preserved, like storing a string of one million 1s as something like 1*1,000,000 instead of 1111111111111111.....1.

That's exactly what I wrote, you dumb fuck.

Oh sorry, I read this as "you can't"

This. Literally the WAV of images.

Reminder that this is what RAW images actually looks like
(Except for fujifag and sigmafag)

Attached: bayer_lion.jpg (703x1025, 168K)

SVG is better for images.
HTML/Epub is better for Text.

>SVG
>better than PDF/EPS
>can't even hold CMYK and spot colors

vector photography will still get you killed.

.mov