Tiling WM Thread

Anyone else still using one of the "minimalist" tiling WMs? Or at least other than i3. Xmonad? Herbsluftwm? dwm? I swear there used to be many different users of WMs, but now even on /wg/ desktop threads it's mostly Linux with a DE. I'm sticking with Awesome as I always have. I like Lua, and how simple Lua is, and how well it integrates with C. I do like the appeal of how the config language is also scripting.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x476, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1161
tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dwm user reporting in

Second for dwm.

dwm is the most forked project period.

also dwm here

i3 is the best imo. Sanest defaults at easiest to config

i3baby detected
use dwm

why?

>Have to reinstall software every single fucking time you want to change anything
HA no.

Frankly awesome is the best out of these, because you can use it either as a full floating desktop environment or a tiling WM.

It simply doesn't suck.

How often do you change something in your WM configuration?

I have tried switching to tiling WMs but I didn't feel immediately comfortable, all those shortcuts and configs you have to get used too. I quickly switched back.
I want to get in to them in the future because I do like the efficiency and minimalism but till then I'm gonna stick with XFCE.
Thanks for reading my blogpost

Every single day lmao

real life exists

I use sway.
All of the cool kids use Wayland.

Attached: 1527050507304.png (803x720, 692K)

What the fuck, why? Are you one of those faggots who don't do anything productive with their computer except ricing their desktops?

fifteenth for dwm

Of course, where do you think you are?

Using bspwm.
Loving it.

>I use sway
Not ready.
>No TTY switching without systemd
>Shits the bed if you switch layout with 2-shifts
>No proper screen recording
>Everything still works through xwayland

I'm waiting ~10years until "fireplace" (somewhat like bspwm) and "smithay" are out and polished. Perhaps by then Wayland would be useful.

Or they will develop something that is not retarded from the end user perspective.

they are incomparable
if i switched away from i3 it would be to try herbst
why does the suckless community suck hard? ome of the devs is literally an elitist frenchfag who deters people who like some of the suckless software but don't invest their lives sucking minimal dick

>Not ready
I know (I'm actually a developer for it).
>No TTY switching without systemd
That should work now. I implemented that.
Although we're having some tty problems _with_ systemd right now, which I haven't been bothered to look into.
>Shits the bed if you switch layout with 2-shifts
What?
>No proper screen recording
That's being worked on right now. Implementing this and not having it being inefficient as fuck is not an easy problem.
>Everything still works through xwayland
It's up to you whether you want to use wayland-native programs or not.
>fireplace, smithay
That whole group really is 10 years behind everybody else. I highly doubt they'll ever get anywhere.
If you're really into your Rust maymays, look at Way Cooler and wlroots-rs.

All me.

so can you answer my question?

>I know (I'm actually a developer for it).
Well, good to hear devs actually use it!
>That should work now. I implemented that.
Wasn't it supposed to be "wlroots" feature?
>Although we're having some tty problems _with_ systemd right now, which I haven't been bothered to look into.
>What?
github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1161
Basically, if you switch layouts with 2-shifts, it doesn't work properly and mixes layouts. (I think it has problem with most combinations involving Shift key, but not sure)
That's the reason I gave up on it for the time being.
>That's being worked on right now. Implementing this and not having it being inefficient as fuck is not an easy problem.
Certainly. But that's why it's not ready.
I'm still baffled that WM developers have to write such solutions, unlike with Xorg.
>It's up to you whether you want to use wayland-native programs or not.
It's not like there are many of them. Basically everything I use is not Wayland native.
>That whole group really is 10 years behind everybody else. I highly doubt they'll ever get anywhere.
That's sad. I want my Wayland bspwm. Though it's not possible, really, since bspwm uses external keyboard daemon to control bspc, whereas with Wayland everything should be a part of compositing manager if I'm not mistaken.
>If you're really into your Rust maymays, look at Way Cooler and wlroots-rs.
Aren't they making an "awesome we" clone?

>Wasn't it supposed to be "wlroots" feature?
Yes, and I implemented the tty stuff in wlroots, including the systemd (logind) and non-systemd versions.
>Basically, if you switch layouts with 2-shifts, it doesn't work properly and mixes layouts
Hmm, I guess that needs to be properly tested on sway 1.0; so much has changed since 0.15.
>I'm still baffled that WM developers have to write such solutions, unlike with Xorg.
It's part of the design philosophy of wayland. There is no X server sitting under you doing shit.
A wayland compositor is responsible for the whole system. There is also a fair bit of isolation between clients and what's going on around it, so they have no way to get access to anybody else or the screen as a whole.
Extensions to the wayland protocol are needed or it needs to be done purely inside the compositor.
>It's not like there are many of them
All GTK3 and Qt5 programs get wayland support for free. I'm still using quite a few Xwayland programs, but that still works quite well.
>Aren't they making an "awesome we" clone?
Yes, but it seems like the most viable Rust-based compositor at the moment.

I use dwm, st, vim and try to be minimal. However, I think being able to do things and not wasting time by voluntarily putting obstacles before yourself is more important than minimalism. That's why I have some bloated software installed on my computer, like LibreOffice, Firefox, etc. I need to use them, because there is no better alternative. So no, I don't suck minimal dick and I think most of the people who go extremely minimalist are either autistic or NEETs (or both).

>sanest defaults
>jkl:
no

I know awesome has but does bspwm and dwm have tabbed layout? (right layout in image)

Attached: modes.png (600x200, 6K)

oh, i meant more in terms of being able to go into their irc channel without three people autistically screeching at me because im not running plan9 or some shit
does wayland make it possible to have a separate compositor that just deals with input and other "lowlevel" stuff while a window manager works under it? seems like it would be a good way to eliminate the need to reinvent the wheel if i want to make, say, the wayland equivalent of dwm

never tried it but see tools.suckless.org/tabbed/

Currently using sway. Was thinking about switching to i3-gaps since sway has some issues.

Turbo Autismo basement dweller. detected. You are the bane of this board kys

>All GTK3 and Qt5 programs get wayland support for free
Interesting. Then it may be possible for me to go Wayland-native in a couple of years.

>being able to go into their irc channel without three people autistically screeching at me because im not running plan9 or some shit

My interactions in their IRC were pretty friendly. I thought there was a bug in "St", but turns out, my "fish" she'll was to blame.

Bspwm does not. I think you can use "tabbed" with it. It is extremely customizable, so you should ask on GitHub, for example and they may help you to write a script.

Personally, I find tabs on tiling WMs confusing.

>does wayland make it possible to have a separate compositor that just deals with input and other "lowlevel" stuff while a window manager works under it?
There are real advantages to having everything handled by a single process, especially when it comes to performance and reducing the possibility for the system to fuck up. Nobody really wants to reinvent X11.
That said, people have written libraries that handle all of the heavy-lifting for you, so not everybody has to implement the same low-level shit again and again. That's why we implemented wlroots and a library completely separate from sway, so other people can use it (and they are).
That said, it's still a lot harder than writing an X11 window manager. The library is designed to be extremely flexible, but that means that there is a lot of stuff we just can't do for you.

+1 for awesone wm

Another sway (0.15.2) user here, are you on IRC? I'd be interested in your choice of software for developing in Wayland. Frustrating that firefox isn't quite Wayland ready.

I'd like to start contributing to the project but I'm fairly new to developing on Linux (use VS at work).

I was using monsterwm on void, but I realized that I'm spending too much time on customisation, so I went to Xubuntu and I'm actually productive.

Is there a way to make gaps behave as they do on bspwm? I mean that no matter what/where/how is open, distance between everything is the same (say, 3px).

I find it confusing how there is inner and outer gaps and inner/outer borders.

I use openbox with tiling keyboard shortcuts
problems weren't

>Another sway (0.15.2) user here
I know we call 0.15.2 our stable release, but I'd recommend giving 1.0-alpha a shot. It works a shitload better, aside from a few missing features and the occasional breaking bug.
>are you on IRC?
Yes, I'm ascent12.
>I'd be interested in your choice of software for developing in Wayland
I just use Vim. Whatever editor you use probably works fine under Wayland.
>Frustrating that firefox isn't quite Wayland ready
It works fine in Xwayland, with only a couple of minor hiccups. Mainly we don't have Xwayland drag-and-drop fully working yet (so moving tabs around is a pain), and we have some weird issues with transparency. I'm using it right now to type out this post.
>I'd like to start contributing to the project but I'm fairly new to developing on Linux
#sway-devel is where all of that happens. We often get people asking about what they can do to help. Asking there is your best bet.
I'll say that you'd probably need a somewhat decent understanding of C and how to develop software for unix-like systems if you really want to get into the meat of things.

That actually makes much more sense than hikl, even though most people are used to the latter because of Vim, but jkl; is much more natural (even more for touch typers).

I use bspwm. Any reason to try dwm or awesome?

I usually just use arrows

Bump

Regular Linux kernel + emacs here