/hsg/ - Home server general [Updated Edition]

/hsg/ - Home server general
Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.

[Quick Questions Quick replies]
Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

[I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?]

RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

[FAQ & Guide]
pastebin.com/XYYp9TAC (embed)
[Software and Distro Tips]
pastebin.com/SXuHp12J (embed)

[News]
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Spectre-V3-V4-Vulnerabilities
"These new vulnerabilities affect all major CPU vendors just not AMD/Intel but also ARM and IBM / POWER. Red Hat has initial details on their site and a further explanation. "

[Chat]
discord.gg/9vZzCYz
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: 87fe08aecb9df9666e0dffbd950a70b3.png (900x509, 815K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wireguard.com/#work-in-progress
nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-inbound_vpn/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

comfy thread

I just set up rtorrent + flood using nvm (like python vartial env but for node). really happy with it. even though I'm not that keen on web interfaces, flood is too good not to use.

[Old Thread]

So are you guys discussing NAS or Webserver hosted from home here?

I guess you could wide the concept to make the general richer. Whatever could be related to more that consumer grade hardware would be fine I guess.

Seedboxes, web servers, clouds, routers, firewalls, NAS etc etc etc

People keep saying that a home built NAS or server is cheap and can be built using old hardware.

They proceed to tout FreeNAS or other zfs shit that needs 8gb of ram minimum and 16gb+ of ecc ram recommended with an additional 1gb for every TB of hdd space.

I don't know what people's definition of old hardware is but a lot of C2Ds or C2Qs are on motherboards limited to 4gb of DDR2.

I have near 20TB of local hot storage and a couple of more cold storage and it doesn't seem feasible to buy new hardware just to satisfy the spec requirement of FreeNAS, or worth the hassle to juggle a bunch of data between drives to reformat them as EXT or ZFS and not be able to read them natively from a windows machine down the road.

I only have 2 computers on the network, my own computer with all my attached local storage, and a web facing forum server that is separate from my own computer with no need to share data.
The web server is running it's own Grandfather-father-son backup solution.

What gives?

Both. But most do networked storage mainly, it's just the most needed.

Still, there also were virtualization / containerization home servers and so on.

Alright, thanks.

Some people just love FreeNAS and arguably even that is pretty cheap. But I often pointed out hardware requirements will be lower with Linux mdadm RAID or such.

That's also your ticket to avoid getting lots of RAM and more powerful hardware. It'll be alright on 1gb RAM fixed unless you do something more than I think you'll do.

Cheapest way to buy poweredge r710?

>People keep saying
>They proceed
You know you don't have to follow people's step right?

Is it feasible to build a NAS with an itx atom 330 with 4GB DDR3 1333 connected to an 8-bay hdd tower via USB 3.0?

Don't really want to break out the core 2 quad machine as it's a power hog and it only has 8gb DDR2 800.

Just use NGINX or Apache? Those have the abilities to turn itself into a FTP server, right? Relax man, not everyone is out to get you.

Maybe possible, but 4gb cannot be enough, what Os you pretend to use? RAID?

I haven't the faintest idea what OS to use for a NAS. Don't think I need RAID either, I've just been using Macrium Reflect.

Debian Stretch + NGINX should be a little less than tight and will run smooth imo

Yes, that's enough for a Linux NAS.

Although I'd get a more modern J4105 or some such from the start to lower power usage.

That kinda defeats the purpose of reusing old hardware.

Do any of you dumb assholes know how to set up pfSense to dish out VPN? OpenVPN has a million buttons and levers for what should be a simple task, and all the guides are around hooking two private networks together with it. What I want is to use my pfSense server to relay my traffic like a privacy VPN does.

I've got a connection but only for LAN traffic because the "local network" configuration has the subnet for LAN traffic. There's a "redirect ipv4 traffic button" which when enabled kills all connectivity to LAN and WAN. Otherwise I can't figure out how to bridge OpenVPN to WAN.
Why is this so fucking difficult?

Jow Forumshsg

Attached: IMG-20170811-WA0217.jpg (1028x1600, 214K)

I wasn't aware this was in itself the purpose, but if it is, just reuse it.

It should work quite okay as storage server. Since it has USB3, you can even pretty realistically use software RAID5/6, you'll should get like 40MB/s or even >70MB/s (not 100% sure about the atom you have, DESU).

I merely think it'll consume like 45W rather than 10W on the board/cpu itself, so in 24/7 operation you'll pay the difference in power in 1.5-5 years or so (obviously depends on the local power costs, the earlier is ~EU average, the latter is a cheaper place in the USA).

I followed a guide and just did the configuration with an editor. Wasn't too difficult to get working with the uni network or my own.

But yea, I prefer Wireguard for my own use.

It's a 64bit 2C/4T @1.6ghz paired with Nvidia ION instead of the 945 chipset so I don't know what kind of difference that makes. It does have gigabit ethernet.

>Wireguard
I've known Wireguard for a while but I rarely see it mentioned here. Is some reason for them to now being this known?

>Wireguard
I'm interested after looking at the page. For the setup I was trying to do with OpenVPN it was a massive over complicated mess just get 2 networks bridged in the way I wanted it (required 2 scripts to open a tunnel then close the tunnel on connection), looks like Wireguard is WAY easier to config.

The RAM requirements for ZFS are greatly overstated. I have 32GB of RAM running a 120TB array, I hardly ever exceed 40% used, and when I do its because I am re-silvering.

EBay barebones R710 ~$150, 2x Xeon X5670 for $50 each, 64GB of DDR3 ECC for ~$70.

haven't heard of flood, thanks

> I don't know what kind of difference that makes.
I think mostly higher power consumption for the purpose you indicated.

Anyhow, on Linux it should work well enough in terms of performance to do a bunch of stuff with that older board. I only thought the power draw might quite realistically make replacing it with a more modern board/chipset quite attractive.

> Is some reason for them to now being this known?
It's still officially unfinished and not compatible with the "standard" VPN many people and devices use.

>looks like Wireguard is WAY easier to config
It certainly is.

>mfw living in a country with a ban on used computer imports
>regular imports already have a 70% tax on them

Only home server I can run is an old laptop or a rpi

Attached: 1503106817833.jpg (680x1020, 67K)

What stops you from getting a Odroid XU4 or onboard intel? Even at 70% taxes that's not even necessarily $150.

>>mfw living in a country with a ban on used computer imports
Thats... really bizarre.
What happens if you just do it anyways? Guessing you just run the risk of customs taking your stuff.

>It's still officially unfinished and not compatible with the "standard" VPN many people and devices use.
Didn't know this. Is this kind of information on their page so I could check it again, or did you get it from other place?

> Is this kind of information on their page so I could check it again
wireguard.com/#work-in-progress

Doesn't matter much if you just use it yourself though - it works if it works.

Always wanted to set up some VPN service at home but never needed it so.

What's the difference between NAS and home server?

I followed this except the DNS part : nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-inbound_vpn/

A server serves a multitude of purposes.
A NAS is a server with an extremely specific purpose.

"Network Attached Storage"
go figure

Can home server also be a NAS? Thank you user.

a dedicated NAS is always a server.
If it is in your home, it's a home server.

What's the best bang for your buck LEDE router nowadays? Still the Mi Router 3?

I'd still get the Xiaomi 3g myself.

Not sure at all if it's the best bang for the buck on LEDE, I think some cheaper routers might work too.

Got mine done last week, after some time of troubleshooting shit that I done, it's now running as I planned. But I still have some stuff in mind for it.

>Why not on a wall mounted server rack and case?

I am a poorfag and this case cost me 10 bucks. Where I live, a wall mounted rack and a 2u case would have cost 100usd each.

Attached: IMG_20180523_113628.jpg (2592x1944, 1.65M)

Novice when it comes to networks, routers and so on. Anyone got any good guides or books on the topic?

You might be in the majority in this thread - I think most cases we see here aren't rackmounts.

Not like it matters much that you are using boring cube cases or midi or big towers until you scale up more srsly and it starts to simply consume a lot of space and a cable jungle forms and so on. Which doesn't happen to most of us here.

There is too much that exists. You'll want to focus on what you're actually using [tutorials and howtos for your Linux or BSD or Windows?] and then specialize on more things that you simply want to know, one by one.

This case have the same hard drives and pcie limitations as the rackmounted one that I looked. But, if I get more shit, i am considering getting a wall mounted 6u or 5u. I wouldn't go more than that
>2u basic media server with some containers
>1u switch
>1u pfsense box

You could, but honestly, if it turns out that your pfsense can be a container / hypervisored OS running at very high priority on the media server or something and that you don't need a 1U switch but just a $10 chinese 4 port GBE device, it won't be terribly special either.

Frankly, it might just make more sense if you have no bigger expansion plans [like those where you'll add a 1u unit full of HDD every half-year) anyhow.

what CPU is it?

G3258 at 4.2ghz

how do i go about setting up two networks at my house on one router? i want one for my family and one for guests. should be secure enough that someone has to put alot of effort into jumping to the other one.

i know this isn't really server related but this is the only general which people know what theyre talking about

forgot to mention im cool with buying a new router which can support that stuff if i need to

Do you want that the guests network can't communicate or access the family network?

Essentially you need the capability to do this on the router's firmware.

There are some that come with the capability to just have a guest network that has a separate ESSID and will only route traffic to the internet port and back.

For others, you may have to configure what ports / subnets / MAC addresses / ... may contact your LAN.

And some firmwares just can't do it.

correct, i want to them to be completely isolated from the family network

i would prefer a router where i can set up a seperate essid, really seems alot easier than the alternative. can most modern routers do this or should i be looking at commercial hardware? poking around in the old belkin i have right now theres no function to do this

Many modern home routers can do this, and some older ones can do it if you switch to an open sauce firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT or such.

If you can't find such firmware for your router, consider just spending the ~$35 to order the Xiaomi 3g that was already mentioned in this thread [by me, after another user asked for the Xiaomi 3] or such.

yeah none of the open source wrt stuff supports my router. its time i upgrade anyway, ill take a look at that xiaomi 3g, thanks user =)

Asking this here and in /pcbg/:
I desperately, DESPERATELY need a router with proper QoS capabilities. My faggot faced roommates won't stop streaming on twitch 24 fucking 7 and god forbid somebody streams hulu on the xbone, then it goes to complete shit for fucking everybody, and now I've got a stay at home NEET roommate who does nothing BUT stream that garbage

I don't need 4000000GBps throughput on wifi or 600 different channels. I just need to be able to directly limit and throttle specific devices bandwidth, I've only got a 60mbps connection in the first place

>renting server is stupid
somebody breaks into your house and steals everything - try breaking into a server farm good luck with that

Do you understand how heavy server racks are? I don't care if you have three men, there's no way you're going to be able to steal one of those without spending 2 and a half hours trying to get it out of the house

clearly you have never been robbed by nigger before, they dear sir can carry a plane if necessary

Weak shitpost, 2/10, see me after class.

lel nothing wrong with not having a bunch of overpriced rack mounted shit, this isn't Jow Forumshomelab

But is neat, desu

pfsense between your router and your service provider

In regards to plex, sonarr, radarr, ombi, jackett being built on dotnet why would I run it on Linux instead of a Windows server 2012 essential. Being that I can have it auto backup computers too

I have the mi router 3g with openwrt installed and I can recommend it.
Performance has been solid, WiFi hasn't suffered any dropouts on the current build, however i should probably update it.
I think the build is still only available via nighties.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-24-06-34-35.png (540x960, 30K)