Was it better than 10?

Was it better than 10?

Attached: windows-8.1-logo.png (1600x1212, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s2C0ZZ_UwAo&t=15
theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/root_access_bypass_macos_high_sierra/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, user. No.

Yep imo

Worse just because of the UI.

I don't know, I skipped it

In almost every way. This faggot probably never used it.

This faggot never used Win10.

Both are garbage.

No. Glad it got forgotten quickly.

Well, it's sort of a better version of 7 that has something bad that can be replaced with free third party software that takes a minute to install.

10 is finnicky, ever since I installed 1803 I haven't noticed any faults but I can't deny that many other people did, all it includes are services that make use of your Microsoft account which you might not use at all (unless you're really trying to move away from Google to Microsoft). I use it, no real reason to be honest other than "it doesn't give me any more problems than 8.1 and I'm lazy".

I think people shit on 8.1 too much for what it is, it's definitely more stable than 10 for now. It's not the shitty tablet OS that 8 used to be or the broken piece of shit 8.1 without updates was either. Also, AMD no longer provides updated drivers for 8.1, but the drivers for Windows 7 work exactly the same as they do on 7 anyways so it's like complaining that you have to click on one link and not another.

No, 8 sucked ass

Yes. All you need is classic shell and its perfect

8 is not 8.1

It's better. I have more control over my OS than Win10. Everything in Win10 feels abstracted from me, and I don't know to what extent their telemetry data collection goes. Believe me, I really wanted to like Win10. I even upgraded to Win10 but went back after 2 hours because it just felt too alien.

Both 8 and 8.1 sucked

8.1 was a direct improvement over 8.
It's a good blend between Win7 & 10.

Also saying 'it sucked' doesn't tell me anything specific.

yes, it still is in terms of performance, drivers and memory management

8 sucked.
8.1 fixed all but the UI

To be honest, sure the UI ain't good, but 10's isn't better. On 10 you have straight black or white themes, colored title bars look disgusting, it only just started being consistent because at some point it was a jumbled mess. I think the biggest complaint people have is the fact on 8.1 the start menu goes full screen. Personally, I find that both 8.1 and 10 need start menu replacements, as the start menu application list on 10 has entries too big (I guess because you gotta fit those silly icons). Now it got that blur effect but it's not even used well. The freaking dark themed (let's hope it's not straight black) file explorer is still some big updates away, and tabs are too.

>all but the UI
It works the same as 7.

Attached: Desktop-Screenshot052018.jpg (3840x1080, 995K)

Dunno. I went from 7 to 10.

>tfw pirated windows 8.1 in 2016 just to get the free upgrade to a legit copy of windows 10

Nuhuuuuu the colours are like totally different and stuff and borders used to be several pixels.

t. got his first computer in Q4 2009 aka every win 7 fan

>muh start menu
8.1 is great. i don't understand the use-case for having the start menu not just take up the whole screen

So oversized interfaces and app-ification are better than having two distinct workspaces?

Windows 8.1 was a great OS that many people never gave a look at due to the controversies with 8. Under the hood, its better than 7 in every facet , the only major problem some may still have is with Metro UI but that that can be alleviated with many 3rd party apps if its that grand of an issue.

Windows 10 is considered as a "fixed version of 8.1" but not really. Windows 10 in many sequnces actually performs worse (boot time , memory management , gamimg performance etc) thats pretty much whats expected from an incomplete OS.

Except whenn it doesn't. 8.1 has a 4GB VRAM allocation limit in DX9. WIndows 7 doesn't have this problem.

That has nothing to do with the UI.

And even so, what a completely minor thing to bring up. The only time some DX9 game is ever going to exceed 4GB VRAM is if you're using a metric fuck ton of mods in some shitty old game like Skyrim. I've played with mods on a fair bit of DX9 games and never came close to 4GB. This is already fixed on Win10 as well.

it still is
t. power user

Or high resolutions with AA.

You can do high resolutions with max settings.
But if you absolutely need those 8K tomato textures and 200+ mods for your DX9 game, then yes it's considered a negative point for 8.1 Not a big deal for the majority that use it though.

I use 8.1 on my desktop and 10 on my college laptop.

8.1 is so much better it's not even funny. With classic shell installed and updates disabled it literally, actually just werks. No problems, no nags, no bullshit.

Maybe, I use 8.1 and its fine. Used 10 on other peoples computers and it worked but they have complained about the updates breaking things.

I still don't understand why so many switched. Literally youtube.com/watch?v=s2C0ZZ_UwAo&t=15

Attached: Family Guy - Oh a Piece of Candy - YouTube.jpg (1280x720, 29K)

Yes. The full screen Start sucks, but other than that it's better in pretty much every way.

10 LTSB 1607 > 8.1 > 7 > 10 > 8

for the record k switched from 8.1 to 10, then back to 8.1 because 10's updates kept breaking and installing random bloat.

currently on LTSB and its comfy and clean as hell

Yes.
People complaining about the UI are just stupid - the start menu was useless shit anyways - whereas it has additional features not present in 7 (like native iso mounting) but it hadn’t gone full botnet.

no 8.1 was ugly desu

Attached: 156102938475.png (1920x1080, 1.38M)

I'd rather a fucked up start menu/screen than having candy crush reinstall itself 5 times a day while sending my documents to Microsoft's servers.

People like to rip on 8.1 for having a weird UI, but they're forgetting that they had they option to completely remove Metro and revert to the old style. Had they done that, they would have found an experience not unlike Windows 7, albeit with the support and performance of Windows 10 LTSB.

Disregard all "muh UI" cucks, as they are children.

Loooonix

Attached: 1527020206651.png (209x450, 51K)

Went from several years of pirated 7 to pirated 8.1 with my new build
>free update for 10
>Install
>revert back to 8.1 within the same week
Fast forward a year
>Buy genuine win7 ultimate key and install on new ssd
Glad all my programs from 8.1 work still, but holy shit after going back it made me realize just how bad m$ fucked up their OS. I don't care for dx12 or windows store so I'm keeping 7 till death.

8.1 has less support than 7 because everyone assumed anyone with 8.1 would just get 10.

You'll still have 3 years of support past 7 though.

No but Windows 10 looks half decent because of it

Same happened with Windows 7 which seemed OK after Vista

Daily reminder that 8.1 is supported until 2025 and then after that every Windows user has to make do with Windows 10.

Yes, and it still is.
The UI is less shit than W10(if you actually have used both you will know this). Inb4 "muh metro" it's true that having an actual start menu is better than the W8 thing, but right clicking on it gives you all the worthwhile stuff you would find there.
It gives you more control without having to change the registers or use other "hacks" to disable stuff.
Doesn't push as much useless shit on you either.

Attached: download.png (442x114, 5K)

>IT IS SO COMPLICATED
>retard monkeys couldn't click the desktop tile
you should all be killed for the betterment of humanity

>You'll still have 3 years of support past 7 though.
But plenty of companies gave up on Windows 8.1 drivers but still have 7 drivers

Literally the same model as Windows 10.

Literally how?

If you installed classic shell then yes. Windows 10 is hot garbage and the UI is only marginally better.

Forced update "as a service" model. But you'd only know that if you weren't a LARPing poorfag. Both Macbooks and iPhones are subject to this.

Fuck off retard, its literally 1 checkbox to disable updates on macOS.
t. not a larping poorfag

>disabling updates on a system that allowed this fuckery
theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/root_access_bypass_macos_high_sierra/

I'm not saying they should be disabled, I'm simply making the point that they are not "forced" like this idiot claims .

But they are forced. You either have a system with so many holes it might as well be swiss cheese, or you keep it on and have a usable system.
It's not a real option.

>he actually thinks that they don't force the update after a while
How long have you had it? You'll eventually experience this. Happens without fail. Similarly to how you can disable the updates on Windows 10, but they'll be pushed through anyways. The only way to actually kill them is to perform the very same bullshit you have to perform on Windows 10.

t. Been using Apple products for professional and academic reasons for the past 8 years

That's some shitty mental gymnastics. If they aren't forcing an update on you, they aren't forcing an update on you. Simple as that.

Literally has never happened to me with automatic updates disabled. I've left one mac before without updates for several, several months (while still using it) and there was zero prompts.

yep.

2 win10

Windows update blocker.

It's good OS overshadowed by the retardation of 8 and bad UI. Unfortunately the average user is too stupid to use third party fixes and Microsoft decided to make an equally retarded new OS instead of just changing 8.1's UI and rereleasing it as 8.2.

I think it gets more hate because 8 was a fucking disaster. I doubt even half this board knows 8 and 8.1 weren't the same thing.

What dx9 card or game is gonna use or have more than 4gb of vram?

The start menu isn't even an issue.
On 7 you:
>Press winkey
>Type part of the program's name
>Click on program

On 8.1 you:
>Press winkey(oh no it takes up all the screen )
>Type part of the program's name
>Click on program

No fucking difference. Only drooling retards shout >muh start menu

This is ugly

That's his shitty ricing. Windows 8.1 does not look like that usually. But it does show that you can change any aspect you want, much like 7.

>winkey
at least windows 10 has SQUARES instead of CIRCLES

Attached: minecraft windows.png (1138x817, 134K)

>Was it better than 10?
Still is.

same for win 10

No, it was shit, just as Windows 10.

i like its stability, i like its speed, i like its upgrades
i do not like its inconsistency with trying to change options in windows and HEY DID YOU WANT THIS FULLSCREEN I SURE BET YOU DID, BECAUSE THIS IS A TABLET, AND ALL COMPUTERS ARE NOW TABLETS, AREN'T THEY, WELL THEY WILL BE ON THE FUTURE AND YOU CAN BET ON THAT for something like just trying to get into power options

>Was
It still is

Attached: speccy.png (532x399, 20K)

reminder that amd dropped 8 support

It's the best post-XP Windows ever. I'm going to keep using 8.1 until January 11, 2023. Maybe even long after that, until programs stop supporting it.

Attached: キャプチャ-4.jpg (612x509, 67K)

If you enjoy no DirectDraw support, yeah, I'd consider it better.

yes because classic shell