Tfw your processor is old as shit and you haven't had to upgrade it

>tfw your processor is old as shit and you haven't had to upgrade it

hardware really plateaued, damn

Attached: sandy-bridge.jpg (300x334, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_sandy_bridge_core_i7_2600kthe_2018_review_time_for_an_upgrade,21.html
intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00115.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i5-4460, no need in sight

old Sandy B. was pretty good tho, wish I had chosen it.

Just retired the 8350 a couple weeks ago.

>tfw i7 860
The only thing that makes me want to upgrade is NVMe.
Perhaps I'llvdo it when 7nm hits the market

4690 here, only want a ryzen because of Rimworld

Gulftown will keep me cozy for another decade.

>old as shit
How old we're talking here?
Please, explain me in shit terms.

master race

Attached: 51vg4G0JwKL._SY355_ (1).jpg (334x355, 29K)

Nvme is a meme that makes no difference except a few special use cases. For boot, games and opening programs it does little or nothing while costing 50% more. A 6+c cpu makes a massive difference when multitasking though.

>only want a ryzen because of Rimworld
?

Nothing happened in Cpus 2012-2017. But now Cpus are improving again, you can upgrade for 2x performance.

come on buddy it's like right there

Attached: file.png (2192x2370, 3.96M)

extremely CPU-dependent game

I picked up an i7 6580k last year for $250, I expect it to last till 2022.

>you can upgrade for 2x performance
no you can't
best you can get is like 10% perf increase
unless you mean very task specific things or benchmarks like cinebench

>i7 6580k
This cpu is already lower mid-segment.

the only reason i upgraded from my L5420 xeon to a 6700k was because i wanted more ram and an nvme ssd

>best you can get is like 10% perf increase
Are you a dumb gaymur? In games you can get like 50% still, going from a 2600k to a 8700k. For serious use you'll get 2x performance with a 2700x.

>Are you a dumb gaymur? In games you can get like 50% still, going from a 2600k to a 8700k. For serious use you'll get 2x performance with a 2700x.
unlikely. most games, unless they have really heavy simulation or are very poorly written, have minimal activity on the game thread

Have a look at the benchmarks. This isn't 2012.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_sandy_bridge_core_i7_2600kthe_2018_review_time_for_an_upgrade,21.html

Attached: untitled-2.png (674x402, 20K)

>7 years
It won't look old when you in late 20s :^)

I'm using a 2012 laptop and playing Battlefield 1 at 60FPS 1080p.

TECH

HAS

STAGNATED

I mean even look at mobile games, Infinity Blade III came out in 2013 and no game has had better graphics since

Attached: 1526554221717.jpg (750x1000, 74K)

>mobile games
kill yourself, even if it is a shitty troll post

>difference of 13 fps at a resolution a toaster couldn't blow through
wow really showed him

>le mobile games is bad by default reddit opinion
Off yourself

I meant 6850k, the 6 core. Same score as a Ryzen 2600.

Ditto here. Thought I'm using a gigabyte p55a-ud3, it struggles to boot, has issues with ram and no front USB3, that's the only reason I want to upgrade. I'll wait for Architecture fix to spectre and meltdown as well as DDR5 to upgrade.

>I'm using a gigabyte p55a-ud3, it struggles to boot, has issues with ram
Kek. I'm using the same mobo and have those exact issues.
Two of my ram slots dont work at all and I have to manually set ram timings in bios because when I leave it to automatic settings it crashes randomly.
I also rarely shut down the system because sometimes it takes half an hour of troubleshooting to boot it again if the syatem was off for over a few hours

>the codename was originally

i5-3450 here.
Waiting for RAM price to down or my cpu to die first to upgrade.

Hah, my RAM issue isnt that bad, but it's a weird one that I've posted a few times and no ones been able to help. Second channel can't have more than 8GB, 1x8gb stick doesn't boot, 2x4gb stick boots, but one stick isn't enabled, can't be different slots, different sticks. Couldn't work out why. It takes 3+ attempts to boot, usually crashes right after the OS starts loading.

Besides that, Mobo still works ok, I'll stay with gigabyte for my next build

The fact that my Haswel era chip has AVX2 and clocks fairly high there is no fucking reason for me to "upgrade" ever really, especially since DDR3 is cheaper then 4 and the speed difference is null unless you use integrated graphics or something Zen based, which I don't currently.

2700x master race

Attached: file.png (1394x1080, 2.01M)

>i5-4460, no need in sight
>i5-4440
Gaming bottleneck

The mobo doesn't support 8gb sticks, each slot takes 4gb max.
Mine also disables one stick when both are on the same channel, so I put each ram in its own single channel. Although the other 2 slots won't work anyway.
Still, an ok board overall since it looks like it's gonna serve us both for a decade

Jews even have to change their products name to escape persecution.
Poor guys

i5-2500k reporting in

Fuck GPUs though gaming/mining was a mistake

>I mean even look at mobile games, Infinity Blade III came out in 2013 and no game has had better graphics since
I didn't know apple shills existed

I remember when a new gen meant 50%+ performance increase

Why does everything go to shit the older you get

MOORES LORES

2500k Master Race here. Hope I can run it 10 years

>Why does everything go to shit the older you get

I built my rig when i was 14. Turning 19 in a month. I'm still using the same old i3-4160 i bought back then.
I'm too young to remember CPU performance increases. Technology is stagnating hard.

Blame AMD for not being competitive for 10 years or so

I am still running 3770K
Mainly use Photoshop and sometimes play total war games and CSGO
Should I upgrade Jow Forums?

Gaming arguably thrust GPUs to the big time, hence why every graphics card i've bought since 1999 has had gamer shit all over the box, comes with free games, etc. You should be happy gamers have subsidized the technical advancements of graphics cards for the last 20 years. Sure, they would exist either way, but if left to the professionals we'd probably have had only integrated graphics or $5k professional cards for many years, may not have had standards like opengl or vulkan (contributed to by gaming companies) etc.
Despite mining being a PITA overall it will benefit the industry.

Attached: 1521877361352.png (142x255, 74K)

Sure, blame some company. Or physics and the limits of nano-scale engineering? Nah, probably AMD.

Attached: 1520697220037.jpg (1024x768, 70K)

>ryzen
>cpu dependent game
???

>i7-2700k
>was overkill back in the day, and it's still fine now
Still going to upgrade to a 8700k eventually, just to futureproof myself.

Attached: 1522473928022.png (352x345, 100K)

Had the same board. Sometimes the network port would just stop working and the post screen is a corrupted mess. But it's still ticking as a backup and test system for me. The USB 3 is solvable by just getting a pcie card really. Sata 2 and pcie2 are fine for current use.

>I'm too young to remember CPU performance increases
you should be thankful, when I was that age you just couldn't keep up on a teenager's budget. Shit literally did double in speed every two years or so, which meant a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. And then you get to keep up with graphics cards.

That board has usb3 and sata 3. Wtf are you talking about user?

3770k reporting in
It's always AMDs fault.

It has been fairly nice that even my old Phenom II PC from 10 years back is still relevant and I use it as my HTPC and light gaming in the living room. On the flip side, the P3 and the Core 2 lines only have a 7 year gap between them, and the difference is astronomical.

>you should be thankful, when I was that age you just couldn't keep up on a teenager's budget. Shit literally did double in speed every two years or so, which meant a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. And then you get to keep up with graphics cards.

Yeah and you'd see an astronomical difference everytime you'd upgrade. RAM became cheaper, hard drives read write speeds became faster, graphics cards cost and arm and a leg but would make insane amounts of difference. Games like unreal Tournament came out giving you insane game play regardless of how shit your PC was.

We teenagers had it tougher back then compared to 200 dollar console kids today.

Oh and keeping in line with the thread. Intel Core i7-3300k bought in 2012. I got it on early release. Still lasting me 6 years on.

Still itching to build a new PC but I honestly don't think coffeelake or Ryzen+ is a big enough improvement to switch. Holding out for 7nm and cheaper RAM and SSD's, or even NVME for faster OS boot.

Still on an [email protected] here.

I see no reason to upgrade.

looks like a 46 frame difference to me the 2600k

Who plays games at 720p?

My Core 2 Duo E7500 and 4670 have served me well. I was planning to finally upgrade this year, but RAM prices are insane.

me

The new ps3 emulator can use 8 cores
There is need for better cpus now

>Yeah and you'd see an astronomical difference everytime you'd upgrade
I remember replacing my old 8MB TNT2 with a Voodoo 5. Went from playing stuff at 640x480 and 30 fps to 60+ at 1280x960 with antialiasing. You don't get night-and-day differences like that anymore.

>but RAM prices are insane.
In the mid 90s 16MB of RAM cost a few hundred dollars more than 16GB does today. Don't forget that thanks to the Fed stealing money from you with inflation that those dollars were worth about 50% more then, too. RAM didn't get expensive, it went from being incredibly cheap to merely being inexpensive.

2600k still going strong here

Attached: 29b.jpg (1000x800, 118K)

currently have an i5-4440 and planning to replace the gtx 650 to an rx 560. Question is, should I go and get an i7-4790 as well to eke out a few more years out of the system? I'm not even that much of a heavy gamer

I wouldn't get it until you have to. that is, if you run into a game where having only four threads is definitely holding you back, and 4c/8t (as opposed to eight real cores) would definitely improve matters.

SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE SPECTRE

SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN SPECTRE AND MELTDOWN niggers

my nigga

Fuck no.
3770K here also, that chip is a beast. Absolutely no need to upgrade. Especially not if you are overclocked.

>upgrade

4700K and I don't see a need to upgrade. Still run everything I throw at it great. Though the new processors with many cores do look very nice I shall refrain myself from thinking such heretic thoughts as upgrading my system until it is absolutely necessary.

>bought pic for 50 dollarydoos.
>Thing lets me overclock to 4.4 with ease and low temps.
>It's a literal ancient cpu on a x58 motherboard.
>Still lets me do anything I want and runs games on ultra on 60+ fps including the worst optimized ones like kingdom come deliverance and so on.
X58 was too good for this world, we may never see intel make something on that performance tier again considering it still is competitive 10 years after it's release.

Attached: xeon-x5675.jpg (1131x1200, 189K)

no reason to upgrade as long as this thing works

Attached: fetch.png (519x214, 11K)

>11684MiB

Attached: 1514480970542.png (499x513, 283K)

>intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00115.html
RIP Sandy

I bought an HP Z800 with two of these, 48GB of RAM, Quadro 2000 (upgraded to an RX560), 2TB HDD (Added two 8TB HDDS in RAID 1, and a 500GB SSD). I also added a 10GbE card, USB 3.0 card, blueray drive, and a few other things. It works great, I don't play any games, but I run a ton of VMs and compiling, and it works fantastically. 4 years into using it, I think I have only spent $800 in total on it.

Since when is seven years "old as shit"?
This thing is 16 (sixteen) years old and serves me perfectly. And it still isn't what I'd call "old as shit". That title goes to anything from the mid '90s or earlier.

Attached: Picture 1.png (750x499, 84K)

>RIP
>Affected products
Intel® Core™ i3 processor (45nm and 32nm)
Intel® Core™ i5 processor (45nm and 32nm)
Intel® Core™ i7 processor (45nm and 32nm)
Intel® Core™ M processor family (45nm and 32nm)
2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors
3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors
4th generation Intel® Core™ processors
5th generation Intel® Core™ processors
6th generation Intel® Core™ processors
7th generation Intel® Core™ processors
8th generation Intel® Core™ processors

Attached: 1521604261321.gif (245x230, 879K)

>using newer than Core2
enjoy your botnet, loser

Every benchmark available shows a massive improvement between the 2700k and the 8700k, essentially double the performance. Tempted to go Ryzen, but I have had nothing but bad experiences with AMD builds.
AMD had this as well, and both Intel and AMD have pushed out patches.

I had i7 920 that I had basically from launch to 2014 only sidegraded because my rog extreme 3 died and x58 boards went through the roof price wise then because of cheap xeons
In hindsight I wish I kept it but really still not.fan of that chipset on gaming boards and low speed ram
That Said mine was oc to almost 4ghz the entire time and would have pushed further

Hehe, I'm running a Phenom II x4 955 (2010 era) w/32GB ram. This is my main desktop. Literately no reason to upgrade. I don't play newer games cause A. I have no time to really devote to it & B. lots of games now tend to suck while requiring 30-50GB of drive space. About only thing I do on this that really pushes all cores is the occasional video encode job. Is blowing several hundred dollars worth it to only cut down the encode time by 15 min (occasional vid job at that)? Not to me it ain't.

just upgrade to a better phenom2

>Every benchmark available shows a massive improvement between the 2700k and the 8700k
See

user, not every application for CPUs is gaming.

>t. Intel shill

I run an E5645 and see no reason to upgrade.

I had a 965be for ages it was amds last decent gaming/gpcpu before bullshit dozer and I didn't touch their stuff again until ryzen

Fag

Sorry user, but you didn't specify which benchmarks, so I assumed it was gaming.

Not him but games aren't really CPU intensive unless u absolutely need high fps at stupid resolutions like 1080p to 4k+

This. Pentium E2160. Still works like a charm.

True, which is why I said >upgrade in the first place. I assumed he was a gaymer, like 89.6% of anons in this thread

>not gaming at at least 1920x1200@96Hz and consistent 96FPS+
absolutely disgusting

I'm a gamer (not one of those fag gen alpha or onions x tho) grew up lanning with mates Nd gonna get local one going again after 5+ year hiatus from pc gaming only just got a real system working after a year of Zen memory problems.
Tldr: games r kool

I know I need to replace my ancient Samsung 1920x1200x60hz but hdr and 4k are still relatively infantile in the desktop space
Might just get a smaller oled TV as gaming monitors are nudging 2k+ anyway for inferior picture quality

Good thing I have a P8Z68-V Pro Gen/3, I'm getting a 3770K on the cheap, and some 2400mhz Ddr3 to replace my 2600K and 1600mhz Ddr3 for a cheap little upgrade, should free up some more frames for the 1080ti..now I just gotta scrounge up some old delidding stuff for Ivy bridge CPU's, I hope this chip can do close to 5ghz, I can get my 2600k to 5, but it's not 100% stable, I dial it back to 4.8ghz for daily use.

Feels good to not have buy a whole new platform and instead just swap a few cheap parts in for a little bit of a performance boost.

Yep, still running a lga 775 system with a 771 xeon in it. I've been thinking that when my motherboard finally gives out, maybe I should just buy a cheap t7400 workstation and go dual xeon. I could probably get it plus 16gb of ram and a second xeon for under $150 total. Apparently there is even a way to trick the t7400 into overclocking from 1333 to 1600 so I think my "upgrade" path is set. Imagine that shit. An 8 core system with 16gb of ram that will perform similarly to a stock FX-8320/8350 for $150. God I love "obsolete" tech.

Just went from i7 990x to Ryzen 2700x...primarily for faster CPU rendering now that mainstream 8 core chips are at a decent price, and for NVME. My old 3D software renders stupidly fast on this thing, Cinebench score is just over double.

3 years ago i got a korean ips 2560x1440 which is practically guaranteed to run at 96hz and 50/50 will run at 120hz with sub 10ms input lag (yes input lag) for $300.

>gaming