IS IT HAPPENING???

cheap and good SSD soon?

anandtech.com/show/12744/micron-launches-first-qlc-nand-micron-5210-ion-enterprise-sata-ssd

Attached: SLC MLC TLC QLC.png (602x318, 144K)

I don't understand why they didn't go from 1 straight up to 8, and now to 16/32

can someone explain?

Attached: jew 2.jpg (2324x1700, 1.1M)

There are cheap and good SSDs now. The prices have dropped to what they were recently.

oh wow, $20 1TB ssd's with a life span of two years.

Just buy a new one in 2 years for $10?

at this point you're better off with cloud shit

>with a life span of two years.
That depends entirely on how much you write.
With how infrequently I delete and re-write onto my HDD I use for bulk storage, I could use a QLC SSD essentially forever, while maintaining the reliability and read speed of NAND. Certainly longer than my HDD would last.

>Comparing local storage to the cloud

Buy 5, put in RAID5
>Cheaper than single drive
>Faster than single drive
>Has redundancy

Where's the loss?

TLC < MLC
QLC will be even worse, and never expect cheap from micron, it's basically intel

It really doesn't matter how cheap it is relative to other QLC drives. Any NAND that can be made consistently less expensive than MLC is a win.
The first products on the market are probably not going to be cheaper than the TLC examples on sale (a similar situation when TLC was first released, being non-competitive in price compared to MLC drives and everyone avoided it). But over time, the economies of scale kick in and you end up with dirt-cheap NAND.

Presumably because having 256 states for a cell is more difficult than having what we have now, 8 states, and there is no technology available to make it work.

>and never expect cheap from micron
You are clueless. The MX500 is a great value, and so was the MX300 before it. I consistently see Micron 1100 2TB drives on sale for $300 and under.

Just make sure to use the SSD once a week so the data doesn't disappear :^)

I ASKED FOR CHEAP RAM NOT CHEAP SSD BACK TO BUILDING THOSE FACTORIES YOU STUPID CHINKS

Attached: 1502724556437.jpg (400x388, 27K)

Performance loss for writes, only 1 redundant disk. If 2 die at the same time it's all over.

Four disks in RAID 10 would be better than RAID 5. Any larger pool of drives and you might as well go RAID 6.

Though RAID on SSDs that aren't for an enterprise SAN / all flash array use case is a waste of money IMO. Just get a single SSD with high throughput instead.

And where can you see these prices?

Its no the chinks its the proto-chinkoreans fucking with the prices. Also the current meme of 8gb of ram in phones isn't helping. FUCKING NORMIES

what the fuck are you talking about

this isn't space magic, you know

yeah these gooks have been so based in blessing us with dirtcheap ddr4 and nand in the past

> Also the current meme of 8gb of ram in phones isn't helping.
Wtf why? That's worse than the 16GB meme.

The point he's making is Micron got bought out by Intel, but apparently they plan on buying back at least a billion in their own stock

> good SSD
> QLC
lol no.
Its cells will leak charge and data will be corrupted. Samsung did solve it for TLC, however the margin of error is even lower for QLC.

hard drives are the same