Why is embedded systems development so stagnant, slow, filled with outdated engineering techniques...

Why is embedded systems development so stagnant, slow, filled with outdated engineering techniques, closed source and consultancy bullshit?

Is it because that he average of embedded developers age is higher and that's why they are conservative to a stupid degree towards any progress?

Attached: embedded.jpg (1600x550, 202K)

Are you telling me that making embedded systems my master is stupid?

Because nobody cares how cool and modern fucking ATMs look you sperg. Nobody gives a shit about fake computers.

Embedded pays like shit. Because of that, the only people who do it are low skill programmers who couldn't get a higher paying job anywhere else. I mean most people in it still use a legacy language from the 80s because they are too dumb to learn anything else.

Becase it requires some actual knowledge so retards with opinions can't enter and sully it with meme languages,diversity,pair programming and all that.

I'm doing electronics engineering and a lot of it is embedded systems, am I fucked, or can I go into space systems engineering? It's all I want to do in life, contribute somehow to space programs

not a good explanation, all other kinds of development (web, mobile, desktop, gaming, etc...) have gone through extensive progress in the last decade

even though IoT is a hot topic, the development toolchain and design/testing techniques are still stuck in the 1970s wtf

>requires actual knowledge
Yeah I bet that 1999 Embedded OS with DOS-tier simplicity is really tough! That capacitive touchscreen with a 2 second delay sure is tough!
Mapping .jpgs to your corporate embedded system used for ordering McDonalds is a real mans trade.

....Almost as if theres a greater demand for consumer electronics than stagnant fixtures that don't require refining? ATMs somehow aren't "modern" enough for you?

>b-but I know pointers! Thst makes me better than all those web developers who earn 4x what I earn!

Is it true you're often stuck with c89?

It's not really about how modern the thing should look like, most embedded systems aren't even exposed to users directly

The most important thing imo is that unlike other kinds of development, embedded systems must be thoroughly tested to an excruciating degree. Found a bug in your server? easy, fix it and then pass the CI/CD pipeline and then deploy in one click. Found a bug in you mobile app? easy fix it and then push to the app repo and within hours all you users will be updated. Found a bug in your dish washer embedded system? congratulations, you shipped a defective product and you have to lose millions of dollars and pull out your shipments and fix them

There is a reason embedded development still uses retarded V-model, TDD, ~70% of team are testers. It's because once you ship, you're fucked if there is a obvious bug

if you are developing for arm you are using gcc so you can use anything it supports.
For more limited systems it's c89 with device specific extensions.

That seems to be true. I had a job offer with 25% less than average salary. I wonder how they found anyone at all.

>le C is hard meme

where? what position? how much?

Because it's for brainlets, despite what Jow Forums and 65 year old boomers would tell you.

germoney, hard to tell, they were pretty vague, about 30000€ in a city where you can barely scrape by with that amount

you were right to ignore them

Thanks. I know they were a small company, but let's not ruin the prices too much.

Can confirm it's a lot of old people. Pay is good though. I'm < 30 and pull in 120k before bonus. When they all croak/retire I'll run this place if I want. Pajeets cannot keep up, they have already tried replacing us with them and it backfired, 3 times.

What company? Most seem to pay less than web jobs in the same area.

what do you do exactly?

>120k at 30
>good pay

Would rather not say. Can say it's BIOS engineering though, which is pretty much like any embedded job. Harder probably though.
A very niche thing but great job security if you are worth a damn at C. More of a career than a gig though. There is a very high learning curve but that in turn protects you.

That number isn't in Rupees.

So. You're the mibba that keeps fucking up the AMT/PhoenixAwards/HP/Whatever Botnet Input Output System...

That's pretty good outside of SF/LA/NYC and similar places.

I was assuming that was USD. Still shit.

>BIOS
>job security

maybe if you turn to management or shift career soon

According to some, it better not be US dollars, either, depending on where you live.

Can confirm. Don't live in any of those places. Could if I want to but I don't care to piss away my money in an expensive tech hub if I don't have to.

Unironically IOT may end up helping since you could theoretically distribute updates through the internet. But I still don't like it's fuckhuge botnet potential.

>I mean most people in it still use a legacy language from the 80s because they are too dumb to learn anything else.
EL BAITO

How did you get that job, and what else should you know before starting a job like that aside from "git gud at C"?

Helps I started out of college, admittedly.
But there are other ways in
Tianocore.org has all the specs and the EDK II (open source component of all bios implementations these days) you can pull down. You can flash it on a beagleboard and dick around with it. If you get familiar enough you should be able to BS any interview.

so you're doing UEFI not actually BIOS, right?