/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1526838588634.jpg (4288x2848, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is replicant os everyday usable or is lineage os the way to go?

Install GuixSD

Yes

i've been using zscreen (which hasn't been updated in years) since 2013 to take screenshots but i think it finally bit the dust and doesn't work anymore. i don't feel like trying to fix it. what's a good screenshotting program? uploading would be nice but it broke years ago on zscreen and i've managed

Imgur has a command line program to auto upload images. I've been looking for something that can let me click what area of the screen to screenshot or record.

i don't want a command line program. i think that's dumb.. i just want to start the program, select a rectangle and have my image saved

scrot can do that

scrot can let you select an area of the screen. You don't need uploading built into a screenshot utility, just get a separate upload utility and put them together. That's the unix way.
What the hell are you expecting, a GUI for screenshots? Just bind it to a hotkey.

Well if you connect the command line program to a hotkey it will do it automatically.

Debian Buster (10.x) freeze date is 2019-03-12. Debian 10.0 is therefore going to release some time in or after September, 2019.

What's the advantage of using debian-based distributions like mint and ubuntu over just debian with the DE you like?

-newer packages
-access to the ppa
-some people prefer the normalfag tools/settings included in ubuntu

Install linux on my 2000 dollar gaming PC y/n

Spectacle is nice

What are the advantages of debian

I'm not the user you replied to, but here are a few:
>stability
>only free (as in freedom) repositories by default
>similar to unix
>no bloat

Is it true? SCP is not used anymore?

Attached: Screenshot_20180523-185400.png (1080x1920, 217K)

ty friend

SSH is from OpenBSD. Please avoid using it, since it doesn't protect your freedoms (it uses a cuck license).

Tired of KDE's glitching and freezing. What DE should I switch to? I am sorta used to desktop grids and hotcorners. I was thinking of Budgie. MATE somehow broke my GRUB install last time around.

I didn't know scrot could do that, that's cool. Any way to make it just get the coordinates so I can use it to screen record with ffmpeg?

Also any way on linux to do scrolling screenshots like android has?

How in the world do you install Manjaro from an external hard drive?

I tried UNetbootin. Doesn't work, got some label error and a command dialog saying root. Read UNetbootin doesn't work well with Arch or it's derivatives.

I tried DiskImager, not selectable at boot at all.

I tried Rufus, not selectable at boot at all. Tried both ISO and DD image but still no dice.

reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

>MATE somehow broke my GRUB install last time around.

Yes. Mate. A desktop environment. Broke your bootloader.
The DE. Your bootloader.

Attached: ultimate facepalm collection2.jpg (2893x1875, 1.72M)

>install MATE one a brand new Kubuntu 18.04 install (less than 20h in use) via the method listed on linuxgonfic.org
>reboot
>no bootloader found
>have to reinstall Linux

Yeah I'm totally sure that it was actually Discover installing Blender, Audacity and Darktable that broke my boot loader sounds much more plausible.

very unfriendly

Every other method has failed me so can someone tell me about running the media creation tool in wine for making a bootable windows USB? Can’t seem to find a decent guide.

No wine needed

1. repartition your USB drive. One partititon, type 07, set it to active, format it to NTFS
2. mount it to somewhere
3. mount your wangblows iso, copy EVERYTHING from it to the USB drive. Will take a while, NTFS is shit on USB drives
4. after done, umount the USB drive and run "sync"
5. install the software "ms-sys". It's in the repos of some distros or grab it from the devs site
6. as root use ms-sys to write a vista/win7 compatible boot sector to the main device of your USB drive, like /dev/sdb (help command is your friend)
7. now use it to write a vista/win7 compatible NTFS boot sector to the partition like /dev/sdb1. Don't worry mixing up these steps, the program will warn you if you try to write the wrong type of boot sector to the wrong type of device
8. USB drive is now bootable and should start the windows installer.

I want to write a gtk theme. Where do I start.

Just grab one that's similar in layout to whatever you want to make and modify it. If you plan to reupload it somewhere give credit to the theme you started from.

Why doesn't this work:
>d='2>/dev/null'
>find / $d|grep fjdjeiskdjdkalsndjalsb
>error spam
The errors should go to dev null??

why are you forgetting to mention that debian has 3 branches? stable, testing, unstable. most derivatives base off unstable since it's fairly new. you can just use that yourself. despite the name, it was decently stable in my experience

I first learned of scp a few years ago when looking up how to do a network file transfer. Later I found out about rsync from a friend, and only very recently did I start using sftp. It's nice because I don't have to think about full file paths. I can change directories on each side and then just use get/put commands. It's pretty comfy. I still use rsync occasionally for a transfer where I'm just moving one thing and I know where I want it.

where do I control these icons, they look like shit. I can't find an option anywhere here.

Attached: Screenshot_20180523_205338.png (1920x1080, 135K)

unstable is ok. I use debian stable with the backports repository to get the most recent versions of compilers.

i dont need a recent libreoffice or gedit, those types of things are pulled from stable on my machine.

use >& /dev/null

How would I use a bash script to function identically to "which"? (Search through PATH variable for paths, search each path for an executable)?

unetbootin is shit, win32diskimager and rufus should be fine

if it's really an external hard drive, I'd say maybe the issue is that it's ntfs, but if you're using one of those programs, it should wipe the file system I think.

So someone redpill me please on if Cinnamon is much less bloated than GNOME since it's based on it?

I dunno if its less bloated but Nemo's a great FM and Cinnamon is hands down the best DE out of the box as far as maximizing screen real-estate. The menu leaves something to be desired, but it's so low-tech I have to imagine it's less bloated than modern GNOME

Lubuntu or Xubuntu? Looking for something that's both lightweight and less problematic - minimal screen-tearing, bugs, etc
Also, is there a way to make their font rendering equal to Ubuntu? Last time I used them a few years ago, both of them doesn't render fonts as good as Ubuntu does

i think i tried cinnamon once because of gnome using a lot of ram, and if i remember right cinnamon used less ram, but i didn't like cinnamon so now i use lxde

Doesn't work user. Still spams me with error messages. Why is bash shit.

you can only redirect the output of the last call of a pipe statement

I use KDE.
Is there a way to find out why msqld is using so much memory?
Or which application connects to it?

Why are there 2 trash folders on linux, is Trash-0 not enough, why is there also a trash-1000 folder, what's the difference between them?

Learn CSS. Learn the specifics of GTK3 CSS. Start with the documentation on their website.
Next create a matching GTK2 and Qt5 theme, because without those, your theme is shit.

I just have 1. ~/.local/share/Trash

How keyboardable is Lubuntu? I can do (almost) everything there from navigating windows, switching workspaces, connect to wifi purely using the keyboard?

Arch Linux + i3.

There are some default hotkeys for moving windows around but you will probably want to add more. It's quite configurable.

You can use the same programs that switch workspaces and connect to networks on any distribution.

Alright let me make this simpler:
>$d=">test.txt"
>$echo "123" $d
>123 >test.txt
???

d=">text.txt"
not
$d=">test.txt"

Install Lumina.

Finally found out how to make tab completion case insensitive, all I need to learn now is how to change login screen background and get my laptop to shut down correctly.

Tiling window managers are literally designed for the purpose of using the keyboard for everything. So most likely that's what you want.
You can just watch some youtube videos or something on how tiling window managers work to see if you like the concept. i3 is a good one.

Tiling window manager are designed to tile windows across the available screen estate, you utter fucking meme parrotting retard.

YES

Help please

The dollar sign is the shell prompt

Install gentoo my dude

Attached: 1526014303761.png (439x547, 351K)

>$echo "123" $d
What about here? Should it be:
>$echo '123' d

Is there a way to live preview the theme?

Wtf. I installed linux and it fucked up my keyboard. I can't even use it for BIOS. What happened here and how do I fix this ?

You can edit and find detailed information about widgets with the GTK Inspector.

install gentoo

Hehe i installed linux on it but I'm dual booting ;- )

I don't believe you, but I once disabled USB keyboard support by updating my BIOS. It worked fine in the OS, but if I wanted to change settings I had to use a PS2 keyboard. I never found if there was a setting to revert it. I had assumed it was a bug, but when I told someone the story once, they said it probably just reset a setting in my BIOS.

I fixed it by plugging it into my second computer. Weird stuff

Angry about tiling window managers?

Hiya,

I librebooted my dankpad X200 a week ago and now it loads two grubs. One as the payload and one as the bootloader of the OS. Can I remove the second GRUB now? How do I preserve the settings for the Libreboot payload to know what to boot?

Thanks, I contacted Leah and some other guy and haven't heard back.

I need a laptop for the _lowest_ price possible but still with a 1080p screen. This is the 199 euro hunk a junk I'm eyeing right now:

>MEDION Akoya E1239T
>10,1 inch (1920 x 1200)
>Intel Atom x5-Z8350
>2 GB RAM
>64 GB flash storage

It has a touch screen and the keyboard is removable so it's more like a tablet.

I'm wondering - will Loonix actually work properly on an Intel Cherry Trail SoC? I'm specifically looking for hands on experience. Shit, is there even a bootable BIOS on this fucking thing so I can install Linux? Could one install Linux natively without being able to boot from USB?

The good thing is, the store has a 14 day money back no questions asked, so I'm trying it out tomorrow regardless.

I highly doubt you will have drivers for all of that

Which hypervisor does Jow Forums recommend for using lunix on

Attached: i like what you posted there good job.png (352x374, 202K)

the best "climate for business" is when governments for the most part fuck off and let business owners start and run their businesses

Installed boot repair, opened boot repair and an error came up while I was attempting to repair grub. How do I bypass "No internet connection" ?

does anyone here know how to set a arch based distro to execute a command every time the screen wakes up? I'm using lightdm by the way, didn't find anything useful in my searches.

Nope, that was you the admin fucking something up.

You are a small local mom and pop business.
You have your own designate parking spots, that are seperated from your neighbors by metal fences and signs saying this area is or your business only and towing is enforced.
Your neighboors are big bussinesses and their customers park in your parking spots and walk over to the other stores.You have talked to the owners of next door and they blow you off,
So you start to have their cars towed,you watch every car and were the owners go and you record it, you call the tow company and have them towed. They come to you an ask wtf, you tell them they are taking up your customers parking space and that they should part in the neighbooring space.You do this 10 times. There is a campaign on facebook and your yelp is flooded with fradulent 1 star reviews because you towed them, which you explain on facebook and yelp as they are your parking spots.
What do you do?

Without the city government you are fucked and most likely will close. With city government you resolve the problem without any negative complaints

sound randomly stopped working on my debian box. I updated everything, but still no luck.

tfw i have to reinstall debian net iso or something

Welp, first day with Linux and i'm back on windows until later today. Using manjaro bpswm+mate, and here are my immediate problems

1) I need to figure out how to make my speakers the default audio device. It tries to play sound through my microphone which obviously doesn't work. Unplugging the mic and replugging it in worked for everything except mpv, which refuses to play sound unless I keep the mic unplugged.

2) I need to get desktop composition working like Windows. Right now everything maximizes and squares itself off automatically and I got tired of it really quick. Selecting minimie, move, resize, etc. didn't work at all. Also, the close button being on the taskbar is annoying, everything needs it's own independent close button.

Guess I'll figure that other later as well as migrating some settings from other programs like firefox which I already know how to do.

Oh yeah, scroll wheel doesn't work anywhere other than browser. I need the fixed too.

Matter of fact, what's the best way to get my pointing device working similarly to windows?

alsa?
pulse?
jack?

Fuck businesses, profit is theft.

Profit is LITERALLY never theft

I opened up alsa earlier but it did say pulse audio is installed so I'll try that later.

Run
pulseaudio --k
then
pulseaudio --start

Oh this reminds me, I've been using ConEmu on windows for that nice drop down quake like console. What should I get to do the same with the terminal on linux?

Yakuake
Guake
Tilda

What's the free as in freedom alternative to google translate?

You are on to something
i get this

E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

do
sudo systemctl stop pulsaudio
then
sudo systemctl start puslaudio
then
expand your terminal width wise
then
sudo systemctl status pulsaudio
then
Post status here

How to execute bash script, like "Hello $USER" every time user logs in teminal?
I tried everything from google.
I add new script.sh in /etc/profile.d with echo "Hello $USER"
I modified scripts in profile.d (i had to use sudo to do both of these things).
I add this line to etc/profile file.
But still, after login in terminal text is not echoed! Please help!

Attached: weegee.jpg (600x785, 60K)

.bashrc

$ sudo systemctl stop pulsaudio
[sudo] password for marc:
Failed to stop pulsaudio.service: Unit pulsaudio.service not loaded.
$

i got that man

What, in Jow Forums's opinion, is the best laptop that easily runs Fedora or Ubuntu with:
>16GB 512 supports USB-C
>great screen
>good battery life

My tasks aren't particularly CPU or GPU bound. As long as I have abundant memory, storage, and a good screen to stare at all day, I'm happy.

I'm thinking the XPS 15. Does anyone have experience using linux on one?

Tried htop?

try
$ systemctl status pulseaudio.service