pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Attached: W I D E B O Y E.jpg (2016x1512, 759K)

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/mini-iceland-wood-resin-artisan-keycaps
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3564
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3562
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545)
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=365&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=172&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0
kprepublic.aliexpress.com/store/group/PBT-Doubleshots-Keycaps/3034003_511799010.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.40713612izqna9
deskthority.net/workshop-f7/wyse-converter-t7424.html
kbfirmware.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Asked this in the last thread just as the new thread was made so I will ask here.

I don't know if I should go with the Halo Clears or Halo Trues for this ALT. Any suggestions?

What'e a good board to hunt around for with good caps to siphon off of? Cherry compatible. Most of the vintage cherry keyboards have great caps but fucking hell they're so expensive. Some of those old Wyse double shots look great but unfortunately they don't seem too compatible with my layout.

you can get those old g80 doubleshots for cheap of POS keyboards

Topre are the tube amps of switches

Attached: DSC_0980.jpg (3840x2160, 2.98M)

shit?

massdrop.com/buy/mini-iceland-wood-resin-artisan-keycaps

thoughts?

Personally, I absolutely hate artisans, these aren't terrible looking though but I'd still never buy one. Plus I hate calling them 'artisans'. I feel like they're not worthy of the name, most are terrible looking. Blog over.

>Budget
$100-$150
>Location (continent at least)
USA
>Preferred switch type
MX Blues or Blacks
>Layout
ANSI
>Form factor
80% or 100%
>Backlight
Not neccessary, but I would like it if it had somee
>Previous/current keyboards
Ducky One with MX Reds

Leopold 750PD, 900PD, or 980PD

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3564

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3562

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545

These boards are excellent value, great build quality and have really nice PBT doubleshot caps. I only have the 60% version, but I'm assuming the TKL and 100% will be build to the same standard.

do you just have the solid black version? if not, how is the texture on the blue and black version (mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545) ?

they make them in all sorts of colors and combinations

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=365&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=search_list&s[match]=all&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[cid]=172&s[subcats]=Y&s[mid]=0

thanks senpai. one last question: unfortunately my fingers get really sweaty/oily naturally and it fucks with the keys, is there any way to avoid that?

don't worry they're PBT not ABS

I mean, my current mk is a pbt keyboard as well, but the oil from my fingers is still ruining the feel of the keys as opposed to something to an area of the keyboard I don't use as much, like the numb pad. is that normal?

The only thing you could do is keep a small towel handy near your computer and wipe down your hands every so ofter.

depends on the texture. Ducky's PBT sucks anyway

That's not how it works. Clean your keyboard.

Which PBT is better in your opinion?
I do, weekly. Is there another way I should be cleaning it?

which ducky model number is it? some of them actually came with ABS instead of PBT

Attached: keyboard on display.jpg (2400x1600, 840K)

yeah i just looked at the manual and sure enough its abs instead of pbt. i guess i might as well get a new keyboard anyways then.

got a wyse 85 terminal array i picked up for $25 coming in next week
did i fuck up?

if you like it you can just get new keycaps

nope, most people buy them to harvest the vintage switches. Just know that some of the later models don't come with vintage mx blacks or mix the new and the old. I managed to find a new old stock one and it's great, even though you can't really reuse the keycaps on a modern keyboard. It's a shame though since they're SP doubleshot DCS profile

Attached: IMG_0025.jpg (4032x3024, 2.45M)

true, is there any manufacturer that makes good keycaps in your opinion?

Such sexy keycaps.

well the leopold keycaps are great, but you can't buy them separately. if you don't want to spend a lot of money the NPKC doubleshot PBT are good enough
kprepublic.aliexpress.com/store/group/PBT-Doubleshots-Keycaps/3034003_511799010.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.40713612izqna9
just know that Tai-hao is PBT with ABS infill

boiiiiiiiis
I got my BOX royal tester in the mail today, and I must say that I am disappointed.
They truly are incredibly tactile, but it comes at the cost of actually feeling good to press. The spring is very light, while the bump is requires a huge amount of effort to get through. This combination makes it feel like you are punching a hole through the desk every time you click it.
And just in general, regardless of spring weight, it doesn't feel smooth at all to get through the bump. Its like trying to click through a solid surface instead of just gliding over it.
Not happy. ):

That's literally the entire point of the switch.

Still waiting for apple to fix their shit. Maybe this year?

Attached: FB270278-0886-44A4-8E81-03A0173B752F.jpg (2048x1024, 983K)

Apple will definitely not be putting mechanical switches in their laptops. They've been moving towards flatter designs for years now. At best we'll see some better keytravel on future models but the opposite is much more likely.

>Budget
any
>Location (continent at least)
europe
>Preferred switch type
I want something flat.
Are there any good quality scissor keyboards?
>Layout
UK ISO
>Form factor
Full Size, but slim
>Backlight
doesn't care, absolutely not necessary
>Previous/current keyboards
>Filco Majestouch 2 w/ cherry mx black
this is my favourite keyboard ever, the build quality and everything is top notch. The best.
>logitech G610 orion brown
bad quality, and I found out I really hate mx browns
>corsair k63 w/ cherry mx red
I think I like reds better, and I thought I need a tenkeyless for better mouse position ergonomically, and it was better but I also found out I use keypads too much

I've been using mechanical keyboards since 2011 but now I had a revelation. I like slim keyboards better, I believe they are much less tiring to type all day on.

>microsoft designer keyboard
I really like the scissor switch feel, the slim design. I hate that it's wireless and you can feel the delay, and the fucked up layout is pretty annoying.
>cougar vantar
After I turn off the lights this is a pretty decent keyboard. The quality is not that great, but it works well, it's cabled so no issues there, there is a lot of key roll over for gaming (even if not 6 or 10 global key rollover, just the most used combinations, but it seems to be enough). I'm looking for something better quality.

What I got so far:
Matias seems to have good quality scissor keyboards, but they don't have any anti ghosting, and not really available here in europe. I only found wired for mac, or wrong layout, or wireless.
Tesoro has a very slim mechanical switch which could be good, but I checked a lot of videos and it seems to have pretty bad quality. The keys are really wobbly.

Cherry Kc 6000 is a new, high quality designer keyboard which uses scissor switches, and is slim. It probably doesn't have any key rollover though, and they fucked up the funcrion row sadly.

Any ideas?
>inb4 not mechanical gtfo

K120

Got a G413 for 40 bucks the other day but now that I'm looking into it, it seems that it's universal that everyone hates the switches on this board. I don't really know jack shit about mechanical keyboards, but it feels fine to me. How badly did I fuck up for my first? I can always just take it back I guess, but I don't know. Any boards around 40-60 dollars that are better quality?

I had this at work for a while, it's pretty bad.
also it's not scissor switch

there is the logitech K740 or what, but logitech literally changed the layout so W+Shift+Space gets stuck, so you buy their gamer line keyboards. This is so disgusting that I will definitely never buy any logitech product again.

drevo joyuse then if you want something crispy

Not bad, sadly it's too small and has a fucked up layout. I'm looking for a full size.
I'll check out this brand more now, I haven't heard about them before.

The point was too have excellent tactility, which as I said, it does have. BUT it feels terrible to type on, so what was the point?

Dunno, I like it. They're pretty much exactly what I wanted. Spring is a little light, but it's not a deal-breaker.

i think i regret buying this keyset and it hasnt even gotten here yet

Attached: AI7B9549_copy_20170614114607.jpg (955x637, 103K)

that's okay you can post pictures of it on reddit for up votes

It's extremely popular but I'm not sure why you would regret it outside of that. It looks really good which is why it's so popular.

ok guys, I need help. I need a new keyboard and I can't decide between blues or blacks. is there anyone out there that is smarter than me that can help me decide?

Post what you have on your desk at the moment?
I just swapped back to my hhkb because I have not used it in a while, fc6600c is just too damn good.
Excuse the budget smartphone moto g5 pic quality

Attached: keyboardsmay23.jpg (1577x1179, 1.05M)

Is there any practical way to adapt these for use on a modern PC?

do you like shitty switches? if so blues
do you hate rubber domes? if so blacks

deskthority.net/workshop-f7/wyse-converter-t7424.html

QMK didn't brick my keyboard but some issues
>Windows doesn't like the weeaboo keys I added so they do nothing when the Japanese IME is active
>The hold/tap function fucks with other modifier combinations
>I probably don't need pause/play on the main layer
>Spacebar still chatters, but not as often
Control on hold and caps-lock on tap is pretty neat replacement for caps-lock, but going to take some time to get used to it. I'll probably fix the IME stuff by using a random F-key and reassigning in the options.

try changing your default windows keyboard into a japanese one and see if that fixes it

Any xmodmap users?
On my laptop I have caps lock swapped with control, but it's not carrying over to my anny pro.
I know that it has custom firmware available for keymappings and such but it's still not stable over USB.
In the meantime, how to I make xmodmap recognize the anny?
Here is my .Xmodmap, Using xev tells me that the caps lock on the anny is the same as the laptop keyboard, so I don't know what's going on.

Attached: 2018-05-23-1527117407_795x710.png (795x710, 36K)

What's weird is that stuff like alt+tilde and alt+capslock works as usual, which are other combined keys on a JIS keyboard. I'd like this shit to be one key press however.

In Switch Hitter, the windows code for two of them is 0xFF and the other 0xEB, but the bios code is different.
>Custom IME shortcut works with F12
>Doesn't work with the F24 placed on the same layer
It's windows that's being a useless cockbag isn't it? Adding a Japanese keyboard doesn't seem to do anything unless there's something else I need to do to the keyboard's code to make it fake being some ANSI/JIS hybrid.

what keyboard is it? maybe try
kbfirmware.com/

>budget
~$300-350, some flexibility
>Location
USA
>switch type
MX Browns
>Layout
Willing to be flexible
>form factor
Ergonomic. Looking at an Ergodox-ez, I like the adjustability and layers
>Backlight
Either RGB or none. I always have light behind my monitor anyway, so RGB just to match aesthetics of my current setup.
>Previous boards
Das Pro 4. Love it, would love to keep using it, but I need to protect my hands. Already might have nerve issues, my wrists are always bent like I'm typing at a keyboard. No blog, I just need a keyboard that will work well with my hands

how about one of the VE.A clones

Attached: Ve.A_carbon.jpg (1024x575, 151K)

tada68
A gui for QMK isn't really going to change anything.

Is there any point buying a Model M if i've already got a Unicomp? Is there any real difference?

there are cosmetic differences, and that's about it

Is it true that buckling springs have a breakin period?

everything has break-in

>blues or blacks
That's a strange preference since they're totally different

makes complete sense, reds and browns are garbage

reds are literally the best mechanical switch. (bucking springs are not mechanical)

there are several different types of buckling springs, some are mechanical, some aren't. you're gonna have to be more specific

Does anyone make a 68 key layout with a numpad affixed to the left? Possibly wireless with backlighting?

>Does anyone make a 68 key layout with a numpad affixed to the left
yes

Attached: Southpaw Extended 65%.jpg (5332x3000, 1.56M)

Looks interesting, I was looking for something more spread out, like an outstretched hand. Definitely on my radar now though, I appreciate it

there are a couple out there, but since you're in autism territory they're too pricey imo

Attached: apollo 22 mini.jpg (1616x1080, 452K)

Why do people hate Cherry MX, specifically browns? I'm not really a keyboard enthusiast.

Cherry MX is a shit series of keyboard switches that only got a monopoly on mechanical keyboards by default when their more expensive competitors gave up.

Browns are the weakest tactile switch in existence and feels more like a linear that didn't pass QC than a tactile switch.

I haven't opened up /mkg/ in what feels like a year. What's the latest meme in dedicated numpads? Anything good?

Here's a really shitty pic of my Compact SQ at work with R5 caps. I think it was two and a half years between paying for the caps and having them in hand.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (1200x675, 125K)

not that user, but literally what other types of switches are better? and don't say cheap chinese knockoff-tier brands.

Alps SKCL/M was far superior in every way.

>since they're totally different
are they? from what i can tell they are completely different
>reds are the best
i want something more clicky, where i can actually feel the button press

Kailh box switches.

>liking Alps switches

Attached: 1514489288255.jpg (220x234, 18K)

kailh are literally chink-tier

And yet the box switches are 'literally' better than cherry's MX switches.

'literally' how? i can't see how you would prefer the trash that is box switches over cherry switches

its funny like 3 years ago everyone was saying cherry is so great and the top tier switch and that everything else was a knock off, but now that everyone has cherry and its on mainstream keyboards suddenly there crap and some obscure brand that no ones heard of is the best

>biggest switch maker in the world
>obscure

Attached: acbll.png (326x277, 80K)

More stable, smoother, plus the dust/water resistance in case that matters to you.

>its funny how situations change in 3 years
yeah i don't get it, why doesn't everything always stay the same? doesn't really make sense you know

nothing has changed its still the same switches, this was always about circle jerking over over prices obscure keyboards/caps

as someone that has tried both, i can safely say that cherry switches are more stable box switches are smoother. i personally like a more tactile press so i prefer cherry switches. box switches are definately not overall superior though and its a classic case of Jow Forums liking more obscure things.

If you want clicky you don't want blacks. They're just like reds but with stiffer springs

I've tried them both as well, and the box switches are less wobbly, and more tactile.

>3 years ago everyone was saying cherry is so great and the top tier switch
Blatant lie.

>t. newfag

did we try the same fucking switches? cherry are definitely more tactile

any suggestions for a keyboard with media controls? nothing fancy, i just need a volume up, down, and mute button.

Worst than Shit Tier
>Romer - G (HOW THE FUCK IS SOMETHING SHITIER THAN CHERRY BROWNS)
Shit Tier
>Cherry Browns
>Standard Outermu
>Outemu purples
>Standard Greetech
>Standard Kalih
>any other chink made shit besides gaterons
Ok Tier
>Standard Gateron
>Outemu ice series
>Standard Cherry besides clears and browns
>Hako Switches (Kalih boxes made for IC) (Honestly they are shit, I tried them, but still better than any mx switch)
>Kalih pros
Good Tier
>Halo Trues + Clears
>Cherry Clears
>Kalih Speed + heavy
>Mod Switches
>NIZ Topre Clone
>Matias (Simplified Alps Clones v 2.0) - I am still keeping this here, better than cherry and standard gaterons, but still not good enough for top.
Top Tier
>Kalih Box
>Kalih heavy box
>Kalih Thiccbar box

Meme Tier (I honestly don't know what to call this, some people like them while other people don't)
>Topre (debatable) (I think they are top tier though, definately tactile compared to any mx switch)
>Membrane Buckling Springs (I think it is Top Tier... Except some shit with build quality of IBM cases unrelated to the Switches bring it down)
>Zealios + Tealios (cause it is sold by fucking scammers) (Good Tier honestly, the most tactile mx switch)

shit and ded, Thank god
>Cherry ml
>All those fucking rubber domes slider

Good but ded
>SMK switches
>White SKCM alps, all the other alps besides fucking black alps
>BTC dome (90% Topre Clone)

God Tier, God is Dead and no longer made. Good luck finding it.
> Capacitive Buckling Springs
> BeamSpring
> Hall Effect

Even box brown/box whites are more tactile than mx brown/mx blue, nevermind box royals or box navies.

confirmed for shit taste and having no idea what is tactile and what isnt

Attached: 1502691180415.jpg (278x278, 33K)

that's the mk community in a nutshell

so many people keep spreading the meme that changing springs in mx switches changes the level of tactility, when the bump on the slider that actually causes tactility is unchanged

At least back up your assertions with some facts,

Attached: switches.png (2100x1000, 231K)

Ducky One

>buying mx switches
Literal meme switches.

>Capacitive Buckling Springs
Still waiting on my model f clone. I hope it's not vaporware.