Information Security Degree vs. Certifications

>Heavily considering getting a four year degree in "Cybersecurity"/Information Security.
>Would be getting it from one of the best colleges that teaches it.

Other than having to be around Jew-brainwashed leftists for four years and pay an assload of money, why shouldn't I do this? Jow Forums says to get certs instead, but people who have gotten certs say they ended up at a dead end for 6+ years after "falling for the don't go to college meme."

What are the requirements for most Infosec jobs? Do most demand a degree?

Do most good certifications teach you how to actively fend off attacks while still keeping a company's services open and going?

Attached: Cybersec.jpg (690x335, 35K)

a degree is basically a certification that is a prerequisite for jobs

If you are actually going for a career rather than seeing if you can land a single low-level job and wing it or use social capital to force your way in, get a degree. Many places won't even let you past HR without a degree of some kind, even an associates.

Bump for curiosity. What is the general starting pay for this?

You are comparing 4 years of college with a single cert which is rather unfair.

You should be comparing a 4-year single college degree+debt to the approximate number of certifications you can obtain in that same 4 year period while simultaneously working and putting money aside to invest in your own business.

Also ask yourself if you're an employer who would you rather hire to do the critical job for you, some college grad with no experience or a person that has CISSP, CCIE, OSCP next to their name?

Attached: .jpg (300x300, 74K)

Why not do both? And as for certs, how much do they cost, about? How long do they take?

All these posts make me feel so thankful for my employer. 21 year old full stack dev, college dropout. 75k salary. Not bad, huh?

Well that depends on how committed you are.

CCIE route can take about 2 -2.5 years (3 months for CCNA, another 3-6 for CCNA Sec, 6-8 months CCNP, and another year for CCIE Sec).

All of these certs are complementing each other, it's not like you're starting from the bottom every single time. So once you get CCIE certified by Cisco, maybe you'll only need couple of months to prepare for some other cert.

When it comes to cost, most (if not all) studying materials you can get for free. Labs for CCNA and CCNP are dirt cheap on ebay, the only real expense is CCIE which can set you back for couple of grands. But by the time you decide to take that exam you will be working so it's not a big deal. Also as soon as you pass the CCIE exam, you will most likely immediately be offered a job by Cisco, so there's that.

As for why not both - It's unrealistic. I have yet to meet a person that got several cyber sec certificates and a college degree while simultaneously having a full-time job.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's highly improbable.

What's your opinion on Security+ or other popular certifications?

Man, all these different certs. What the hell is the difference between CCIE, CCNA, etc. and CISSP and other stuff offered by other companies?

Good foundation, obviously can't hurt. If you have little to no experience in sec field, I'd say go for it. That's not to say that CCNA security is only meant for people with lots of experience in the field.

CCNA Sec is more in-depth and more challenging but obviously it's more appreciated (Security+ is more generic and covers basics). Not to mention that by the time you get your CCNA Sec cert you'll have two more certs next to your name (CCENT and CCNA R&S).

Obviously you could go to CCNA sec straight from CCENT, but i do not recommend that.

What's the difference? - 2.5 years. LOL.

In 2 pics: CCNA Lab

Attached: CCNA.jpg (771x404, 75K)

CCIE Lab

Attached: CCIE.jpg (1427x1119, 832K)

what the fuck

pajeet can take ccie less than a year.

if you working in ISP, you look that topology like is that it?

>I have no doubt.

It's not about the number of routers in diagram, it's about complexity of protocols.

LOL.

>Other than having to be around Jew-brainwashed leftists for four years and pay an assload of money
that right there shows you are just a child and wouldn't be able to get a job regardless of what you hold.

if you actually choose a correct school (one that gets money from the nsa) you will be turning down jobs when graduating, but only if it is right for you. only fucking retards sign up and try to get into the industry thinking its easy money, and those are the ones that end up being level 1 ticket jockeys at best, or simply fail and drop out.