Why will it fail?

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-02/apple-is-said-to-plan-move-from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020

So Jow Forums? Why will it fail and how will it fail?

Attached: apple-sign-tim-cook-stage.jpg (625x416, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/23/17383428/apple-a12-7nm-processor-2018-iphones-production
pastebin.com/113bB7vw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You should know yourself if you can already claim that it's going to be a failure

Intel for its faults has been in the game for a long time. They have the existing infrastructure and they've had the time to work out the faults both in design and the production process to really streamline the whole thing.

Apple could potentially do it but the logistics of making chips themselves could be daunting. If performance takes a hit or they make some kind of design fuckup it's going to hurt sales and image bad.

Weird how they haven't gone to Ryzen 3 series
I can't see them haemorrhaging money to use their own CPUs working out but hay it's what old Apple fags back in the 90s to late 00s loved about them and ppc
Will be interesting to say the least I wonder if Windows bootcamp will still be a option

I think it's because even currently their fastest mobile chip gets beaten by i5s from 2015, along with the fact that they will most likely have rebuild mac OS to accommodate or settle for x86 emulation. But I wanna hear what other people think

>apple making their own chips
HAHAHAHAHAHA
You mean Samsung, they're just going to use Samsung ARM SoCs, maybe they'll also use some TSMC ARM SoCs.

They use Samsung's on iPhones?

This. Still excited though since mactoddlers somehow have a pull on the tech industry, and ARM computers can become mainstream

Wrong.

Every chip since the A4 has been designed by Apple. They only use Samsung and TSMC for manufacturing.

you should genuinely support any attempt at a real alternative from x86 since you're basically stuck between one mega jewish company and one normally jewish company.

you ideally want to be stuck with many jews to chose from since they all end up jewing each other in a fight over your shekels

i can't believe we're gonna be going back to the days where macs can't run windows

>BUT WINDOWS 10 ON ARM IS A THING
even fucking normies don't use the wandows store

Attached: huey needle.png (1164x714, 222K)

The Ax series has been absolutely murdering every other ARM chip for the past five years and beating out low-end x86-64 chips for the past three.

>ITT: Apple never used PowerPC and has been Intel forever. They've never done an architecture change before and so they will have no idea what they're doing.

On the one hand, I could see Apple including an A10x or something in the upcoming Macbooks, where the OS runs primarily on ARM but falls over to an x86 coprocessor for running legacy applications, or vice versa. But considering that most apps for Mac these days are written in Objective-C which they could just port over to ARM and probably have 95% of all applications continue working.

After all, they didn't include a PPC and x86 CPU in their old Powerbooks so I don't see them doing it here unless they manage to put the x86 component onto the CPU package.

I'm sure there will be some levels of autistic screeching like when Firefox updated extensions to use WebExtensions but the end result is after a few months of a handful of developers screaming about how unfair it is that computers ever change, the overwhelming majority of users will be "business as usual", and Apple will be out of Intel's control. Good thing to, since Intel is the reason we don't have a 32GB memory option on the Macbook Pro series.

This is literally the exact same story as the PPC migration. Apple wants higher powered CPUs at a lower TDP and using less battery that fit into an Apple-defined enclosure. Intel whines that Apple isn't manufacturing shitty half-inch thick plastic laptops so Apple burns the bridge and gives the middle finger to their supplier.

Apple has always been the "Fine, I'm going to build my own theme park! With blackjack and hookers!" except they actually follow through with their threats.

/thread

How close in performance is the iphone X chip to an average intel chip, say a 8600k? 20% 40%

Id like to see benchmarks but I cant find any.

this

>The Ax series has been absolutely murdered by every other ARM chip for the past five years
Fixed for reality.
iToys have gotten BTFO every single year without fail by budget phones, it's not even a competition.

Attached: 1522189436530.webm (426x240, 2.86M)

>how close in performance is a guitar to a trumpet? I'd like to see benchmarks but can't find any

They're different architectures for different paradigms. A mobile cpu could be 1% the speed of a desktop chip and I don't give a fuck so long as the stack that runs on top of it runs smoothly.

>How close in performance is the iphone X chip to an average intel chip
Probably a Celeron from 1998.

Attached: 1501499075779.webm (1280x546, 2.76M)

>apple starts making chips that would have been mid-grade in 2010
>people eat it up because the chips are white with rounded corners

>MUH VIDYAGAYMEZ

Would be interesting to see what happens, I suppose. They recently started using a new filesystem to, called "Apple." It's pretty fast

iToddlers, can't live with them, can't live with them.

"not IBM compatible"
Literally makes the Mac user rage
We can use that again once they release
Thanks Tim!

Samsung just fabricates chips for them. Apple is leagues ahead in the ARM chip design business than everyone else still.

Apple is a fucking joke and can't even beat out budget phones in performance. A $500 OP5 completely destroys the joke that is the notchPhone X.

>pajeet phone
>quackcum snipdragin ^o^
Bugman.

>geekbench
Android fanbois BTFO
AX literally twice as fast as the best Android phone

MacOS is Unix now, why do I even give a fuck about IBM compatibility anymore? They're the company with the good marketing and sales team right?

The benchmarks tells a different story. You can't deny that objectively they make better chips than the competitors regardless of their stupid decisions to make animations slow.

>i don't use any apps ever and just run gookbench all day
The ABSOLUTE state of iToddler brainlets. see

>The benchmarks
The benchmark. A single specific benchmark which is geekbench. Which also states iPhone is faster than an iCore 5 operated PC.

Why is Apple such a fucking joke? How is it that every single iTrash ever made suffers from this shit while it's completely non-existent on desktop computers?

Attached: 1508037840025.jpg (536x536, 25K)

>"not IBM compatible"
What fucking year is it?

IBM compatible = x86

The only reason anyone still uses Windows is because of Win32 applications that were abandoned 20 years ago.

>Weird how they haven't gone to Ryzen 3 series
AMD has been dogshit in the game for a looooong time, particularly since Apple switched off PPC.
They have a very, *very* good relationship with Intel, and is part of the reason why their thunderbolt platform exists whatsoever. That was Intel voodoo magic that later made its way into USB 3.1, but Apple got a headstart by basically playing guinea pig.
Intel is proven, reliable, and most importantly has absurdly low TDP offerings. When your company sells itself on sleek, tiny, nothingness, low TDP and reliability trump everything

ITODDLERS BTFO

I know what it means, but who the fuck says "IBM compatible" anymore? Again, what fucking year is it?

"IBM compatible" is just as relevant to those who still care about Windows as it was back in 1988.

The only reason Windows existed past the 80s is because of IBM.

Icucks will damage control this.

This is a way for Apple to shut down the fringe group of hackintosh and also 3rd party hardware repairs.
This also will allow them to merge their IOS/MacOS furthur into a single OS and platform.

Convergence.
I suggest you vote for right to repair in your state if you want to be able to replace your screen or ram when it dies.

It was a software bug, they fixed this a while ago. Bugs exist?
I don't get this inane argument, I don't think ipads are a good platform but it is an efficient os with a very efficient chip.

That's a even bigger screen/dpi on the right too so it should be handicapped in the GPU rendering but despite that it still is quicker.

Correct
They also have done multi-arch since '93.
NeXTSTEP could generate "Universal Apps" for 68000, SPARC, x86, POWER, and more.

They aren't new to this. Wouldn't be surprised in this years Xcode update does just this, if it's not doing it already.

Apple will crash and burn again because they're no longer IBM compatible
They didn't learn the lesson the first time

We're reaching a point where most of the major services/applications are no longer writing native apps. PWA are growing so I don't see the x86 library being so important in the near future.

>Convergence
There is no way this will happen with Apple. They've mocked Microsoft and their pathetic attempts at convergence, while saying they would keep two distinct platforms.

You'd think so but this isn't the IBM age anymore grandpa.

Look at all the fresh ISAs that are growing.
ARM64/Power9/MicroMIPS/OpenSparc/Risc-V/

Mackintoshes were worth the money even in the post Microsoft=Satan world, because they were the only ones selling something other than a retrofitted IBM PC.

The "PC' as a platform standard is horseshit. BIOS, EFI, southbridge, northbridge, CISC, undocumented-but-standard (secret) instructions YUCK.

RISC was well on track to being the defacto default in the 90s, but WINTEL came along at that time with their garbage outdated CLI prompt workstations and dragged computing back a solid decade if not more.

Attached: 1483845113415.gif (311x362, 1.99M)

This shows how bloated operating systems and programs have become since the 90's. Not necessarily the difference between processors.

>not ibm compatible
>can't electron
>your entire plan goes to shit

#JustAppleshitThings

>apple was only successful during the intel era
Holy fuck it is summer.

Hoo boy, this is turbo autismo incarnate.

>ARM64
The only one in the list worth bothering with. Worth it only for mobile phones and curious gadgets that need better than microcontroller grunt (e.g. blade servers that nobody buys).

>Power9
Let's face facts - this is basically legacy.

>MicroMIPS/OpenSparc/Risc-V
Literally nobody important in this entire universe gives a flying fuck about these.

RISC-V is good for Internet of Trash.

Point. Hence my mention:
>nobody important

The right phone uses fucking Adreno, which is god among the mobile GPUs.

>7nm

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/23/17383428/apple-a12-7nm-processor-2018-iphones-production

pastebin.com/113bB7vw

Attached: IMG_20151114_230639.png (720x720, 393K)

Attached: 1497880928990.png (653x726, 84K)

You're speaking as if 2018 inthell are anywhere near as good as they where in their hayday of early 2010

whatever apple does is only good on geekbench so why bother?

>no more hackintosh
>no more windows on Macs
>cutting edge performance
make apple great again

no one cares intel shill, go cry about your lost revenue somewhere else

Attached: 1497883217071.jpg (267x297, 18K)

weird how intel is still shit

Attached: 8400shit16.png (1338x1181, 71K)

hmmm

Attached: 8400shit.png (1338x1181, 67K)

shill alert

Attached: 8400shit1.png (1338x1181, 66K)

weird how intel shils will always defend their beloved company even against Apple/nvidia/IBM

Attached: 2600btfo7800x.png (1279x715, 563K)

Apple dumped intel because intel makes shitty low performance turd cpus

Attached: 8400shit15.png (1338x1181, 70K)

turd graphics, even applel has better standards

Attached: 1518582950938.png (1920x1080, 1019K)

Guys, if we use low end intel CPUs, but high end graphics, then give intel shit ram and us overpriced ram, we can finally do good in a benchmark! Shill this shit before someone discovers why AMD is only 10% of the market!

>i dont understand what a GPU bottleneck is: the post

Attached: 8400shit9.png (1338x1181, 69K)

REEEEEEEE IT WAS OUR YEAR INTELBROS WHAT HAPPENED

Attached: chrome_2018-05-24_08-37-05.png (670x487, 154K)

apple isn't a gaming company

Its cpu preformance, AMD has better performance

And intel has shit performance and shit power consumption, its so shit that its even worse than applels low standards

>even worse than applels low standards
Let's not get carried away with hyperbole there.

Intel < Apple

At least apple will copy shit their competitors do and make it a meme like multitouch or GUI, Intel is nothing but parasitic and has never innovated at all.

see Smartphones in general have a fuckton of bloatware that just stays open in the memory consuming CPU time doing NOTHING. I've seen minimal androids run faster than the custom rom made by the manufacturer only because the custom has no google apps in there.

>Literally define apple as a parasite but call them innovative for it
>Literally call Intel a parasite and then say they don't innovate
Huh.

iPhones come with almost nothing installed and still run like total shit though.

I read through the thread and have yet to see any compelling arguments against Apple.

I don't get it, then. I never owned an Apple product in my life and judging by what people around me told me they praised every iphone as if it's something perfect never failing and that does exactly what you tell it to do. What is it then?

Highly probable that existing apps will cease to function or have to be extensively rewritten for their ARM (or whatever) based platform. We already see this in >Video games. The developers of Elite Dangerous have abandoned the game, it will no longer run on apple devices and is no longer being updated.

>What is it then?

Attached: 1501387216385.jpg (1920x1080, 750K)

/thread

Attached: 1503480847100.png (409x211, 81K)

Apple popularized shit like GUI, the mouse, Multitouch since no one else wanted to popularize it first

Intel begrudgingly copied AMD64, multicore, multithreading, 3d stacking after AMD, IBM, and samsung already popularized them years before.

This could work once, maybe twice. I know people that keeps buying iphones every year. Really the only time I've seen a few applefans saying they had done a shit marketing was when they removed the headphone jack.

>This could work once, maybe twice
And here we are, at the Iphone X, twenty times later.

I guess it's the finish, visuals and ofc brand value.
Don't really like the system (I've got a MacBook Pro from work) but the hardware is very good and the system is pretty straightforward to use for normies (which can be annoying sometimes as it treats you like an idiot)

i sure can't wait to have iphone as my desktop

>This could work once, maybe twice.
You severely underestimate how much a corporation can run purely on marketing.

Attached: 1506868246031.png (532x2612, 808K)

Does Apple even have a x86 license?

Or are they going ARM even on their "Pro" models?

Attached: 1516360456549.jpg (346x346, 18K)

This. Schiit literally runs entirely on advertising. Unfortunate for them, they've been caught.

>from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020
Sounds good to me. Intel BTFO. Apple wouldn't be doing this if they didn't make better chips, which they do.

delid

Attached: 1491972340310.png (633x900, 162K)

Apple does not have an x86 license, so how the fuck do they want to build x86 processors?

ANSWER ME

Attached: 1514491784936.png (370x547, 355K)

bump
please reply

>iToys have gotten BTFO every single year without fail by budget phones, it's not even a competition.

Not sure if trolling, but I've seen you autiscally post this webm in every android vs iphone thread so I checked youtube Rajeets doing speed tests and iPhones have never lost the first lap versus Android flagships. I think you need your head checked rakesh.

Why doesnt google make its own cpus?
Aren't they annoyed by the minios that comes with every intel chip?

>forbes
>contributor
>article

Jow Forums really has gone downhill lately, its bad enough that you faggots have overrun it with mobile shit, but you could you please not be so braindead in everything you post?

I miss the woodscrew days.

They build their own custom ASIC to accelerate meme learning. For a real CPU, the missing x86 license is the end of any of such ambitions.

Attached: 1496486330402.png (600x500, 397K)