Are smart TVs a meme?

Are smart TVs a meme?

What can they do that a normal tv + Roku/firestick/whatever can’t?

Attached: 4L_0IvGqtV0.jpg (522x363, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-65-Class-4K-2160P-LED-TV-U650CV-U/48874705
trustedreviews.com/news/smart-tv-privacy-problems-vizio-samsung-lg-sony-panasonic-2952175
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Watch you 24/7

do these things with a single default remote

do things without a roku/firestick/whatever

its hard to find a dumb TV that meets my standards for input lag and other vidya nerd shit like that. my previous sony was a fantastic TV for gaming but took 20-30 seconds to start because of app shit.
current samsung is a bit better at 15 seconds

Do the same stuff as a roku using the TV's remote while being laggy and having shitty wifi that cant keep up with HD streams built in.
Fucking tested this on multiple TVs in multiple house including my time working at Microcenter.
Only some of the new ones are decent but I imagine they put weaker SoCs than what is in your typical roku or such.

Smart TV's are the ultimate meme.

/thread

it's a matter of convenience, not everybody wants to fuck around with 2+ remotes. Also non-smart tvs are pretty bad these days

FPBP

If I'm not a princess about quality/muh blacks/refresh rates is this a bad tv?

walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-65-Class-4K-2160P-LED-TV-U650CV-U/48874705

SmartTV are a bad purchase

>slow, zero usability of interfaces
>Most support Miracast but cannot cast using your laptop because "muh-copyright, please use Netflix or other paid streaming"
>App stores filled fake HBO apps

Attached: SMART_HUB_samsung.jpg (3942x2414, 2.13M)

Literally every TV except $200 bargin bin Walmart TVs are "Smart" these days. Are you still using your 10 year old plasma or something grandpa?

All modern good TVs have good smart functionally. It's inserparable at this point, because the average consumer expects that functionality. When the dumb tv generation was tranforming into the smart one, this wasn't the case, where we had great plasmas etc. that were dumb. However, this was a long ass time ago, and you're stuck in the past. Today, it's actually opposite in my experience, where modern day dumb TVs are terrible.

name ONE good 60-65" tv under $700

Literally the telescreens from 1984. Also a meme because the 'smart' functionality is very limited and slow.

I have a 2015 LG model that doesn't take long to display video (4 seconds or so) but it takes up to 20 seconds to do basic shit like changing inputs. I added a Yamaha AV receiver and that's way faster to change between all the shit in my entertainment center.

The worst thing about "Smart TVs" is that they can show extra, unskippable ad-overlays.
I'm starting to think that that's what they were actually invented for.

trustedreviews.com/news/smart-tv-privacy-problems-vizio-samsung-lg-sony-panasonic-2952175

tl;dr
>Sony: best
>Vizio: worst
>Samsung: bad
>LG: depends

Get a Roku TV.

TVs with built in Roku integrate OTA into the experience if you're an antenna guy, but aside from that not much.

Attached: roku-tv-fall-2017-update-039.jpg (3000x1687, 214K)

idk what everyone is meming about. my smart tvs menu is a simple bar at the bottom of the screen with my bookmarked tabs, and a settings button on the right. that's literally it. 60 inch, 700 dollars. I feel like no one here has actually bought or used one of these tvs lately

Good thing Sony is getting out of the consumer electronics business, then.
/sigh