That feel when stuck using a 500gb usb 2.0 external drive

>that feel when stuck using a 500gb usb 2.0 external drive
30-50MB/s is suffering especially copying off 300gb of fucking shit pic fucking god damn related

Attached: file.png (800x800, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just get a USB 3.0 HDD enclosure you goof.

cbf

That case is enough for most use cases, if you need to copy that much info, then invest in something better, cases are not that expensive nowadays, now fuckoff

ive had usb3 cases and those shit mini connectors always break on the case side

Get one that's type c, type a, or micro 3.0 then you fucking idiot.

EDGY

While on the topi I have been meaning to ask what is better to get a ext hdd or get a normal hdd and get an enclosure. I mean with normal hdd + enclosure you could always just stick it in a desktop when you decide to replace it with bigger hdd.

whatevers cheaper
im fucking spewing i missed out on those 8tb's going for $150usd

enclosures are usually slow and you can take apart most externals and put the disk on a sata port, but what is really handy are hdd docks, just plug and play any kind of disk.

kek I hope you're using rsync

>rsync
>on windows 10
breh

Just start the copy at bed time. Wake up. Done. What is the issue here? Do you literally stare at the screen and watch the bytes copy one by one?

> Do you literally stare at the screen and watch the bytes copy one by one?
>Not watching the bytes copying one by one and falling asleep nice and comfy

I doubt that a 2.5" HDD is going to give you a lot more than that

I have an external SSD connected via a Sata-usb3 adapter, I also use a lot of old HDDs recycled from laptops with it and I use a lot of legit western digital USB3 HDDs, the normie type from Amazon

Best I've seen with old HDDs is 30/40MBs, proper new HDDs vary from 60MB/s to 90MB/s, external SSD goes from 120MB/s to 160MB/s (at that point both the adapter and the usb controller can be the bottleneck)

Get a proper enclosure first, then consider that a 2.5" drive will always be a shitty solution for almost everything. I have a number of 3.5" drive for archive stuff and for carrying data around I use a 128GB SSD. You don't have to worry about breaking it, it's really fast (something you want on the go) and it's cheaper than usb drives, 120GB is 35€

It's all about pickings the correct tool for the job

>using ntfs to store files
>not being able to have rsync and a full suite of SSH tools
imagine being a wincuck

life is pain on w10 even the fonts are all fucked up

booted up a old xp sp3 on vga and it looked crystal clear compared to v1803 shit

Ive used a 2.5" external drive and enclosure with eSata for years. The read/write speed is fine for what it does, and so is the drive.

What you've experienced doesn't apply to everyone.

I have 1TB usb 3.0 external fucking drive that speed 30-50MB/s really really frustrated. copy over 500GB it takes a day at least

I'm using
amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C
work very well.

yikes
god i ahte hdd's

fucking ram cartels holding back shit
thx

newer ext hdd have proprietary port, you can't use sata connection anymore

Attached: PiDrive-500x333.jpg (500x333, 32K)

please tell me this is a joke

I thought wincucks were suposed to get bash on win10?
At least that way they might finally be able to do some basic file operation like rsyncing

nope, those hdd with newer usb 3.0 port don't have any sata port. everything is soldered directly on the hdd

Attached: WD-My-Passport-Ultra-2TB-Close-Up-On-Micro-USB-3.0-Port.jpg (1600x986, 43K)

It's not. I've run into the fucking bullshit before when I tried to get some data off a hard drive with a fucked USB port.
It's a much smarter move to buy drive enclosures and separate drives instead, just so you don't get fucked over.

If your stuff breaks contantly:
A) its chink quaiity, invest more in your tools
B) you are doing it wrong, RTFM
I had used many cases, there are some nice ones from transcend that are rubberized and shit is sturdy as fuck.
TL; DR: put more money in your tools, treat them with care

>then consider that a 2.5" drive will always be a shitty solution for almost everything.
WTF man. 2.5in drives are sturdy as fuck, because they are made for laptops, which is one of the most horrible environments for a HDD.
Do you ever moved 3.5 hardrrives? its fucking horrible. I am an IT guy and I have 2.5 disks on cases and not a single one had died on me if I take proper care.
Your opionion is based on your anecdotical data, which seems pretty limited, let alone biased.
beyond your drive's speed and USB version, its not the same when you copy a shitton of tiny files instead of some big files.
If you have the space, put those stiny files on a tar, or a zero compression zip and copy that, i BET you'll notice the difference

I'd a grew a few years ago. But this newer slew of 4TB 2.5inch drives aren't great these days.

Get a decent orico or decent brand Usb3 enclosure and they'll work fine. Even with ssds they max out the USB bus speed of 300MB/s. Spinning rust is just shit regardless.

Any way, the Usb3 protocol has UAS which is usb attach sata/scsi so there no real losses from plugging in over usb these days. It show when plugging Usb3 drives into a Usb3 port over a usb2 cable and it'll max out the usb2 cable speed of 40MB/s instead of the usual 20.