Finder

Finder
>can't create a new file (really)
>can't rename hidden files
>can't merge directories when pasting
>can't do standard cut-and-paste
>pressing enter renames file instead of opening it

Window manager
>can't trigger hover events on inactive windows (Jow Forums hover doesn't work if you're using two windows side by side)
>can't trigger clicks on inactive windows without clicking the window active first, but clicking twice fast triggers a double click instead of activating and then clicking
>can't tile windows when you drag them to screen corners
>activating an app brings all its windows to front, no way to activate just one
>mis-clicking menus closes them instead of letting you retry

Other
>no calendar on notification area, can only see current day
>volume control is 10% at a time and need to press a painful shortcut to fine-tune
>app installation is a clusterfuck - installers (dmg, zip, ...), app store, homebrew, dragging .app to Apps, opening .dmg and dragging to Apps, scripts
>no decent package manager (homebrew is a mess)
>ancient versions of unix tools

Just some points I could come up with ad-hoc, there's many more, and also the added instability. Why is this considered a good OS?

Attached: Mac-OS-logo-1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/301553/finder-alternative-with-new-file
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sheep.

>file manager
>can't create a new file

Attached: 1479308672786.jpg (572x380, 32K)

I know, it's ridiculous.

Please elaborate, with sources if possible

apple.stackexchange.com/questions/301553/finder-alternative-with-new-file

Stackoverflow is full of people asking for it. The only things that work on High Sierra are either clumsy hacks or cost you money. Either way you'll be jumping through hoops because Apple doesn't think people need to be able to create files on their computers.

I'm somewhat forced to use MacOS.
This seriously pisses me off more than is should. I wish I could express how much this pisses me off
I want someone to explain why I need to use a different shortcut for cut and paste. This makes no sense.
I kinda understand this one (keep shortcuts the same), but they break this rule with cut and paste in Finder, so why not here? Just to Think Different?
>can't trigger clicks on inactive windows without clicking the window active first, but clicking twice fast triggers a double click instead of activating and then clicking
I never noticed this to tell the truth, it's a bit bullshit. Also, to add another level on inconsistency, this works as it should if you are clicking into an inactive Finder window (I'm guessing the desktop is to blame for this behavior)
Holy fuck, I never noticed that before. Goddamn
>app installation is a clusterfuck - installers (dmg, zip, ...), app store, homebrew, dragging .app to Apps, opening .dmg and dragging to Apps, scripts
That is an odd compliant to me. It is a bit inconsistent, but it gives a lot more flexibility. All those make sense depending on context (except scripts, which I want to find a program that installs that way that doesn't use an installer) This is also slowly creeping into GNU/Linux (AppImage, Snaps, Flatpack), because we needed more package managers for some reason.
This isn't as much as a problem (except for bash, where it is a problem). For example, what can *BSD's version of find do than OSX's version of find cannot?

I recently had this issue. The thing is, I haven’t needed to create an empty file that way since windows text files. I usually open the application that I plan to use and start my new file. Using the terminal, it’s possible to create a file and append text but it’s not ideally what “users” want. It doesn’t seem logical to have an “it just works” philosophy and yet something so simple be excluded.

>I want someone to explain why I need to use a different shortcut for cut and paste. This makes no sense.
The apple way of moving files isn't even bad, it's just that most of the time cutting is more intuitive since it removes the mental load from later. There's nothing stopping them from supporting cmd-x too, but no.
>I kinda understand this one (keep shortcuts the same), but they break this rule with cut and paste in Finder, so why not here? Just to Think Different?
Again an unnecessary violation of a thing that is standard literally everywhere else
That is an odd compliant to me. It is a bit inconsistent, but it gives a lot more flexibility. All those make sense depending on context (except scripts, which I want to find a program that installs that way that doesn't use an installer) This is also slowly creeping into GNU/Linux (AppImage, Snaps, Flatpack), because we needed more package managers for some reason.
It's tolerable, my point is that app installation is not simple like some people like to claim
>This isn't as much as a problem (except for bash, where it is a problem). For example, what can *BSD's version of find do than OSX's version of find cannot?
desu my problems have mostly been the fact that linux comes with the latest GNU implementations and include some nice non-standard features that aren't there on macOS. The point is that Linux has an advantage if you live in the shell

Anyway you're not wrong, you can get around and learn to tolerate this stuff, but I'm forced to use macOS too. Everything about it screams "fuck you" to me, at least out-of-the-box, and it's all because of retarded design gimmicks that could easily be fixed. What ticks me off is the fact that all of these problems are there unnecessarily because of the "think different" attitude.

Exactly, you can get around these problems just fine but it's not "just works" at all. The OS could be so much better OOTB but the philosophy cripples it

Yeah it sucks OP, in the mac world you just make a new file with whatever program you need the file for like quick time for VSC it kind of sucks.

>what is touch [filename] ?

Good. It's been that way for literally 20 years. It's the way it should be.

This. The CLI is a thing. Use it.

File managers are for managing existing files, not creating new ones. That's what applications are for.

>can't rename hidden files

Cmd + Shift + . (period)

>can't merge directories when pasting

It's not nice to lie on the internet, user. (Pic related)

durr it dun wurk liek mah winderz, it bad

>can't trigger hover events on inactive windows

You absolutely can if the inactive window belongs to the app you're currently on.

>can't trigger clicks on inactive windows without clicking the window active first

This is called "clickthrough," and the point of blocking it on inactive windows is to prevent potentially destructive actions from being done by accident. Many well-designed applications do allow clickthrough on specific, non-destructive actions.

In what GUI does a menu remain on-screen after selecting an item from it?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-24 at 7.37.55 AM.jpg (798x256, 52K)

>File managers are for managing existing files, not creating new ones. That's what applications are for.
And phones are for making calls, you should get a Nokia 3310 if you're so against features.
Anyway my distro does not have this problem.

>>can't merge directories when pasting
>It's not nice to lie on the internet, user. (Pic related)
It can't. In Linux and Windows you get a prompt asking you for each individual file what action you want to take, and you can decide to use one decision for all the following conflicts. MacOS just makes you pick which folder to prefer for every conflict.

>You absolutely can if the inactive window belongs to the app you're currently on.
And sometimes it doesn't and I'd like it to. It's yet another simple feature my distro can do and your rinky dink OS can't .

>>can't trigger clicks on inactive windows without clicking the window active first
>This is called "clickthrough," and the point of blocking it on inactive windows is to prevent potentially destructive actions from being done by accident.
Not all your users are braindead.

fpbp

This thread again?

>fagOS

Attached: 1514604747169.png (787x2673, 174K)

OP
>can't into computer

This asspain again?

Attached: 1514603559319.jpg (813x1402, 176K)

Attached: 1500597385156.jpg (1280x720, 118K)

>hur hur it just werks
>just navigate to the directory in terminal, run a cli command and close the terminal, instead of two clicks

>Why is this considered a good OS?
By whom. It's literally the most pointless desktop OS right now.

Thanks for putting this one first, so I knew I didn't have to bother reading your dumb wall of text

Attached: 1506472333479.jpg (1920x1080, 750K)

works for me!

I use Windows 10 and even I know that 90% of those issues can be solved by installing Xtrafinder (which is free btw).

Attached: 1441762276789.gif (180x166, 457K)

>Mac is for stupids
Commence circlejerking!
Fuck Apple.

Attached: 1524744830153.png (500x301, 117K)

Doesn't work on high sierra, there's terrible dev support for osx. You shouldn't have to rely on a third party to unfuck your os anyway.

>maccuckOS

What's up with the dumb default layout?

Can finder find a gay partner for you? Because that's who you are.

>t. macfaggot

>Why is this considered a good OS?
Because the vast, vast majority of users will never encounter any problems with it.

If you don't like it don't use it. I don't get what your problem is.

>tfw you can use emacs line editing shortcuts in every text box

Attached: 1378568189252.gif (276x250, 1011K)

>closing the terminal
Get the fuck off my planet.

>using a terminal for browsing files
stop trying too much

pkgsrc, pkgin

>create a new file
>open terminal
>enter 'touch '
>drag directory (icon in title bar or folder icon) into terminal
>enter '/filename\ here.extension'
>press enter

>rename hidden files
>chflags hidden file
>file still renameable
Wut? Are you trying to rename files you don't have permission for? Launch finder as root and try again.

>can't merge directories
Never tried this so no comment

>can't trigger hover events on inactive windows
Yeah, this fucking sucks.

>can't tile windows
Magnets

You're clicking from the dock right? Just use mission control, and if you really despise the dock, use ubar

It's the same as pressing escape, some apps do this and some don't

>no calender in notification area
I use istat menus for that

>fine tune volume control
option+shift+vol up/down.

>app installation
It's honestly the strongest point for os x for me. Being able to use an app from any location and not having to worry about installation is pretty sweet. Dmg isn't an installer, it's a crappy form of compression that is basically a disk image and should be ditched completely by app creators in favour of .zip or straight up .app.
Installation scripts literally don't exist, unless you're talking about installers that affect system drivers. Homebrew isn't officially supported so it shouldn't even be an argument, it's like saying cygwin being convoluted is the reason why windows is shit

How is homebrew a mess?

Not really, if you're using the terminal extensively you're using xcode command line tools or homebrew anyway, there's no need to waste resources maintaining new versions of tools their target demographic does not bother with.

Doesn't excuse apple for not supporting them in stock, but they're pretty weak reasons to hate the os, considering the amount of work you have to do for a linux installation too. Some additional reasons to hate macos would be the cancerous files it makes, like the DS_store files or appledouble extended attribute files (._files)

>can't tile windows
>Magnets
Holy balls, thanks. Just bought it. A shame basic functionality costs pennies in macOS :(

>Using touch to create a new file is the only way
This is not acceptable. However, I do understand the philosophy behind why this exists
>chflags hidden file
We are not talking about those hidden files. However, is correct when it comes to that, so I am wrong on that front
>Magnets
>istat menus
>Having to pay to get features GNU/Linux DEs get for free
This is one my gripes with macOS. A system tray costs $35. Window tiling that works with the mouse costs $1. I'm just glad iTerm doesn't cost money.
>How is homebrew a mess?
Here are some of my gripes with it:
> Cannot roll back packages very easily if you did cleanup recently
> Packages can break at any time
> Autocomplete is very slow compared to other package managers
> Updates package list automatically (This is an odd gripe, as I would think that this is more convenient, but it is annoying when you are just trying to remove packages, and it updates)

.zip doesn't preserve a bunch of shit
.app is literally just a folder
.dmg just makes sense, and even lets you tell the user to drag it right to the applications folder because it preserves aliases and other Mac-specific shit

>.app is literally just a folder
A folder that contains the application and contents necessary to run it. Whether you copy the directory from another OS X install, get it from a zip archive, or from a dmg image, you end up dragging a .app directory to /Applications
>.dmg just makes sense, and even lets you tell the user to drag it right to the applications folder
.zip does this as well, only difference is you're decompressing an archive before you drag and drop the .app instead of mounting a disk image.

>complaining about non-issues
have you not got X11 failures to fix :^)?

>this is not acceptable
I guess, but I don't have much reason to create empty files on mac os anyway

>we're not talking about those hidden files
Wait, what is it then? As far as I can tell cmd+shift+. reveals hidden files in dialog boxes. What does it have to do with renaming?

>having to pay for apps
The soibois in CA have too much money to burn. Use macbed or appked to get apps for free.

>annoying when it updates automatically
Just do ctrl+c when it updates, your command still works, you only cancel the update action with ctrl+c

With the new verification shit by apple it takes an eternity for it to load up, and eats up your cpu and battery in the meantime.
You also have to copy the files twice, once to open the filesystem in the image and again to copy it to somewhere else. Try deleting the .dmg with the drive still mounted, you can copy shit off the drive still. You'd have to wait for your disk to slowly copy the files over twice, wasting ssd writes too.
After you're done waiting for the app to copy over you have to manually dismount the drive by dragging it all the way to the dock, and then delete the dmg off your folder.
Conversely, if the app is stored in a disk, you only have to double click the zip for it to decompress, then move the app away. Besides, you can download .apps without any extra hassle anyway, despite it being technically a folder.

What does it have to do with renaming?
If dotfiles are not shown, pic related is the error you get

Attached: 1520485890428.png (1064x526, 112K)

There has been a noticeable increase in apple hate threads recently. Is general Jow Forums audience getting more poor?

Oh, I leave hidden files visible in finder and I get this dialog. There isn't much reason for me to not leave it shown now that ds_store files are hidden

>noticeable increase recently
You mean over the past few years? It's just a product of the consumerist company wars that have spread to Jow Forums.

Attached: image.png (840x302, 67K)

Why is fagOS such an inconsistent shitheap?

>Is general Jow Forums audience getting more poor?
That would lead to a massive increase in Apple worship threads seeing as Apple is a poverty brand worshipped by McBurger flippers.

Attached: 1518357994725.jpg (1000x2000, 741K)

Have you seen android? It's even more manipulative than os x is in terms of hiding shit from the user.

>that image
How come every celebrity, literally all of them, own only Apple products?

>comparing a desktop os to a mobile os
Have you seen iOS? It's even more manipulative than android is in terms of hiding shit from the user.

At least it respects user's privacy.

>how come technology illiterate vapid whores use the products they're paid to promote
Fuck off iToddler.

No, because it straight up hides it from the user. It's a silent contract you sign that you're getting shafted if you choose to use ios, play on a console, etc
Just because their only other competitor does it doesn't make it acceptable for android to fuck you in the ass user.

How many rupees per post do you get paid Rajeet?

Attached: 1502307951046.png (728x945, 345K)

They just use shit that works.
None of that useless Windows/Linux shit, you worthless waste of oxygen

>doesn't make it acceptable for android
Android is an open source free as in freedom OS. If you get shafted it's your own fault for buying a phone preinstalled with a tainted version of android.

>ishit
>work
Good joke. Neck yourself you worthless subhuman fruit worshiper.

Aww, someone is mad. Get a job and use a real OS, bitch :^)

>applel chinkshit
>shit that works
topkek

Attached: 1503020488824.png (532x2612, 808K)

What happens when they all become tainted? My point is that android as an ecosystem is lying to the consumer, you are thoroughly convinced that your windows-tier os is free because you can tweak all the botnet away, like a wintard would with with the registry. Google isn't a free software first company user, and fuschia will drive home the point for thick skulled faggots like you.

>being this mad
>REEEEEEEEEEE
>LEAV APUL ALONE!!!1111

Attached: 1521516691373.webm (640x360, 1.48M)

>sales of iPhone dropping since 2015
>literally breaks records every year
Someone wasted human life hours making that image

>posted from my literal NSA sponsored botnet fruit toy

Attached: 1506564652493.png (850x1566, 1.04M)

Shit you got me, I should have posted from my chink-botnet cheapdroid phone.
Oh wait, that's what I was using all along, a redmi note 4. Turns out not everyone is a consumerist fanboy that turns their operating system of choice into their identity like a tumblrtard would with their gender.

The only records they broke were revenue, sales are tanking. They're literally jacking up prices and milking brainless sheep like you for all you're worth. This is why true patricians own Apple stock, and subhuman cucks buy Apple products. But whatever, I'm not going to complain if retards keep giving me their money.

Attached: 1514549964130.jpg (254x250, 31K)

Attached: 1524616511894.png (714x834, 287K)

iCucks
B
T
F
O

DMG also has important security advantages over ZIP such as Gatekeeper code signing and path randomization.

>you have to manually dismount the drive by dragging it all the way to the dock, and then delete the dmg off your folder.

Seriously? You can just right-click the mounted image and select Eject from the context menu, or just use Cmd + E. Click-dragging to the Trash is total Macnoob-tier.

Damn, cmd+e exists? Thanks for that shit
Why the fuck does dmg's """security""" matter when malicious apps can just send zipped apps over the internet and have a reasonable expectation that it be opened? The main reasons the advantages exist also makes it a pain in the ass to unpack and install.

Finder
>Not for finding things.

Spotlight
>Not for illumination.

Such a bad OS.

Don't forget the most egregious and non-forgivable part: No way to sort by name A-Z with folders on top.

Yes there is.

Attached: keep-folders-on-top-mac-finder-sorting.jpg (966x856, 103K)

>no way to sort by date without the sections shit that hides additional files within a section and doesn't place the folders on top

Lol you kids are so deep. #WOKE
jk, wintoddlers are like the niggers of this board. WE WUZ TECH LITERATES. DA ILLUMINAUGHTY IS BRAINWASHING DA ISHEEP WID DA APPUL PRODUCTS

They specifically said by name.

>Damn, cmd+e exists?

Protip: Take a few moments to go through an app's menu bar to discover its keyboard shortcuts. They are one of macOS's best features.

Also, while there is no such thing as perfect security, that doesn't mean Apple should just give up trying to make their platforms more secure. It's not unthinkable to predict a future macOS version where the default Gatekeeper policy is to block any non-App Store apps that aren't packaged in signed, secure DMGs (while still allowing power users to disable Gatekeeper altogether via spctl).

Fixed since Sierra.

Why are you using the file viewer to create files? Do winchildren really do this? If you're creating a .txt, .c, .java, or other file, why aren't you using a text editor to create the file?

If you want to create a file quickly and more conveniently than this, terminal is a much better option:
touch filename
But I guess wintoddlers can't into CLI

You /v/iggers need to go back.

>if you're taking photos why are you using a phone?
>just use the terminal
And then Linux is the one who gets the reputation for being terminal-centric, meanwhile my distro lets me do this from the file manager and your rinky-dink 3-kernel OS doesn't.

>if you're taking photos why are you using a phone?
>just use a camera
FTFY

>Cmd + Spacebar
>Type: "Terminal"
>Type: "cd [folder]"
>Type: "touch newfile.txt" or "mkdir folder"

Correction: ancient versions of GNU tools. GNU's not Unix.

>just use the terminal
Fucking lmao.

Still old, enjoy your ancient shit.

>Waaaaah, this mainstream desktop OS doesn't cater to my specific edge case

Generating blank files is not something most people need to do regularly.

>it's bad because it's old
That's not how that works

>macOS
>mainstream
How delusional can you be?

>waaah
I don't think you understand mate, I'm not upset because I don't give 2 shits. I don't care if this ever gets fixed. My current OS lets me do this while not writing encryption keys to plaintext logs. I'm happy. Enjoy your computing experience.

Again, enjoy your outdated shit.

>OS X isn't mainstream
How delusional can you be?

I've no outdated shit to enjoy

>fagos
>inconsistent
I think you are talking about pajewindows and tardloonix

>14% market share
>mainstream

>second most used operating system on the planet
>has a whopping 14% market share
>not mainstream

>I've never understood why there are shortcuts to create blank files in Windows/Linux
>cut-and-paste if a broken workflow, since what happens to your file if you cut, and then copy or cut something else before pasting?

>whopping 14%
>whopping
>out of two
iSheeple and their mental gymnastics.

>out of two
>two
four. Being the other half of a duopoly is anything but not mainstream

How do you dick suckers create new text files in the directory you're currently in? Navigate to the directory again using a text editor? Always open a terminal? How is that better than a couple of simple clicks? How do you think not having the option is ok?