CV with Word or Latex?

CV with Word or Latex?

Attached: file.png (600x1149, 365K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
jsonresume.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Use LaTeX for EVERYTHING.

LaTeX looks professional, Word looks ghetto.

All people that use LaTeX for their CVs are unemployed NEETs. Do you really need more evidence than this?

Only use Latex if you can make it look better than resume template you see online. I made one resume in Latex and got 0 jobs; then I made a resume in Libre office and got a job. Just saying user.

Literally just got signed for a fortune 100 company with a LaTeX resume. Bad bait.
What you write your resume doesn't matter as long as you can utilize it to do what you want.

My CV was written in LaTeX, and I was employed using it.
I even put the fancy LaTeX text in the "other skills" section.

>What you write your resume doesn't matter
t. larping NEET

roff as unix manpage

Only correct answer.

This, of course, is wrong. What NEET learns LaTeX? Really?

Please list the companies to be avoided who rejected you on grounds of LaTeX. Heathens.

People who have done real science will of course know LaTeX and recognise CMR

LaTeX looks so tryhard academic wannabe

not latex

the best bit of writing a CV is putting \LaTeX{} in "Skills" and seeing the logo

fpbp

He's right though. What really matters is HOW you write it.
You're more likely to get an interview if you have limited, but well-presented experience than the guy who has more experience but writes like a child.
Before sperging, let me clarify. This does not mean that you are better than him. It just means you're more likely to get an interview.

Only if you can't use it properly.

You can typeset your CV so it looks like a disgusting mess made in photoshop. Check the templates at overleaf.
My CV is just org file, which i can export to latex, html or whatever the hell i want.

hand written

In plain text of course.

Whatever the fuck you want, at the end of the day you are always sending it in PDF.

I don't do the hiring for my company but I am the developer that checks if the person is actually qualified.

I'm not like most people, who I am sure see a bad CV and toss it aside. I actually don't care how disgusting your CV looks though if I see relevant experience not laden with buzzwords, and you've got shit like a github so I can see your code.

I'd be impressed with LaTeX in a CV though tbf.

I write all my CV's in Word 2003 without spacing in one large line with size 11 Comic Sans. First letter instantly got me a sweet digging job at the local graveyard.

I've been using the same LaTeX resume since college and it hasn't failed me yet.

I'm sending it as animated gif.

>I even put the fancy LaTeX text in the "other skills" section.
Cringe, you might as well put "proficient in Microsoft Windows" in it

Anyone have a half decent latex template or point me in the right direction for creating my own? All the ones online are ass.

Adobe InDesign.

Gives you the best of both worlds. WYSIWYG and professional typesetting including microtypography support.

have you looked at overleaf?

I use HTML and CSS and export it to PDF.

Attached: Aphex Snake.jpg (720x720, 240K)

Made a CV using LaTeX, but I am underage (19) faggot with no experience, recently applied for internship. Am I fucked?

Yes that's why I said the ones online look like ass.

what a stupid question
why would you be fucked

What position?

c++ software engineering

That's usually referred to as "Code Monkey" in Fortune 10 companies.

Word because I don't want compile errors in my resume

bet you think you're clever huh

Correct. Actually, using anything from Microsoft looks ghetto

NEETs don’t learn Latex, idiot. They play video games all day. Which I’m sure that’s all you do. Why are you browsing this board again?

HR managers are retarded. They put this shit in job listings. I am convinced that most HR people have no idea what a computer is

Made my CV in google doc with a template when i was embracing the botnet and i got a summer job easily. I may rewrite it in LaTex as i know it know.

if you already know latex then ok otherwise this is pure autism. word is a piece a of shit but it's perfectly capable of making good looking documents

Lel. If you expect somebody to read your CV, get better contacts.
Because the guy who already got the position you're applying for sure did.

Photo of screen with CV written in MS Paint.

>embrace the botnet
>become a wageslave
I hope this never happens to me

same

moderncv

what LaTeX editor?

I made my CV in Creative Writer

Attached: 40439_1.png (800x485, 198K)

use word. you'll get through the resume parsers easier.

Professionals in your field won't look at your resume, HR does. It's in your interest to put on the CV what those retards like.

It's not even that important, Jesus after seeing enough CVs you start just scanning for the really important information, having a clear but condensed layout makes that so much easier

vi of course, what else?

nano

emacs with pdf-tools

.odt

Dude, holy shit, you've helped me finally remember that software I used as a kid. Thanks user!

This

Is it hard to learn LaTeX? I've been having trouble installing MSOffice so I use LibreOffice but it's shit

It's incredibly easy, get a package like miktex if you are a dirty windows peasant, or texlive otherwise and try a few things out to get used to the document preparation workflow
Then nick someone else's template and use it when you want to actually write a document
Latex makes large documents with lots of figures, tables etc really easy to manage, makes formatting and style really consistent, and does mathematic formulas really well, there's not much point in learning latex if you don't want these features though

It is easy.

It is even easier to use LyX to do the heavy lifting for you.

LyX

>Is it hard to learn LaTeX?
The basics aren't hard at all, but it gets as complex as you want it to be.

Easy. I used Leslie Lamport's book. I think nearly all my fellow students did. Those who used other text processing tools regretted it, though they swore through clenched teeth it was FINE!

I use emacs but getting a set up right takes some time. I reccomend texstudio or texmaker. There's an autistic fight between the two but can't remember which is the "right" one.

>no experience
You're already fucked, if you don't have at least 30 years of experience by the time you're 19 you'll never make it.

There's literally no reason to use LaTex for your cv.
No one have knowledge about how a document should be formatted, and if you are sending you cv to someone that actually know how your cv should be to look good, you are probably able to do a perfect job in word in a lot less time.
Also consider that despite pdf exist, lots of people/companies whant your documentation un .doc.

Compare
>No one have knowledge about how a document should be formatted,
with
>you are probably able to do a perfect job in word in a lot less time.

Now that is some seriously b0rken logic.

>No one

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Rmarkdown

Yeah, I am applying for Fortune 10.
fukk dis anons

His words, not mine.

>Rmarkdown
Ah yes, the art of being fired before being employed.

here, have an expanding brain meme

Attached: 193487513849751.jpg (445x811, 114K)

Latex is for scientists and neets who larp. I would not hire someone who used latex for a cv. It shows you have no concept of doing something efficiently and picking the right tool for the job. A nice cv can be made with word in a fraction of the time.

Remember, latex is a meme.

>I would not hire someone who used latex for a cv.
And are you in a position to hire, at all?

>His words, not mine.

I know.

>Ah yes, the art of being fired before being employed.
delet this
I like my rmarkdown cv with all its cool graphs.

>couple use-package calls
>takes time
Configuring emacs for \LaTeX is faster than texstudio or texmaker startup.

but it's faster to write a template and use org

LaTeX

Show your superior CV designs, Latex-fags.

So what you're saying is you suck at Latex?

What he's saying is this:

If your CV looks fancy, it looks like you've spent a really long time working on it, meaning that you've either been unemployed for a very long time, or you've been in a job and scamming your employer for money while you have been secretly desiring to quit (aka disloyal employee).

If your CV looks like it was a last minute effort, it gives the impression that you haven't written a CV in a long while because you were too busy doing your actual job.

Everyone ITT are embarrassed by their CV.

If you use LaTeX please for the love of god change the typeface. Computer-autism or whatever the default is ugly as fuck.

That's what i usually do. But even barebones \LaTeX is trivial to set up in emacs. It's also much better than texmaker or texstudio.

This is clearly retarded. If you are a hiring manager or something related, you are the epitome of retarded.

Fuck you

jsonresume.org/

>jsonresume
mfw

Attached: when-you-run-out-of-soylent.webm (400x400, 1.94M)

honestly, at that point why not just use YAML and pandoc templating

Attached: ok-thumbs-up.jpg (525x481, 39K)