Switching smartphone OS

I wanna hear from people who've actually switched smartphone OS's about their opinion on each OS.

>OS you started with
>OS you switched to
>when you switched
>are you happy with switching?
>would you go back?
>best and worst things about old OS
>best and worst things about new OS

Attached: android_vs_ios.jpg?itok=TsCRWKWY.jpg (620x349, 11K)

They are both shit.

I started with iOS and switched to Android, switched around iOS 11/Android Nougat times

I am very happy with switching and have no intention of going back

iOS best-iMessage was a hard loss, as well as FaceTime, since most of my friends used it

iOS worst-it’s iOS so, no ability to set something besides Safari as a default web browser, limited to the App Store unless you want to try to side load IPA files, which honestly aren’t that good, no ability to change the look and feel of the OS (like how android allows launchers), phone design and software that has pretty much remained the same since iOS 4, Siri, all of the bloatware on the devices, knowing full and well I am supporting Apple, I could go on

Android best-how customizable it is, apk files are a godsend, Android phone design is superior, my phone and software is still faster than the iPhone X even though it is a year old, more gesture control, better notifications, Hey Google, system wide adblocks, ability to change system default apps, knowing I am not supporting Apple, I could go on

Android worst-text messaging, seriously Android needs to get their act together on this (hopefully the rumors I have been reading on Android Messages are true), and preinstalled bloatware that is difficult to remove or requires a package disabler

You won't get educated responses here, just anti-Apple circlejerking.

I prefer Android customization, but the OS is a fragmented mess, ROM support is heavily dependent on device, and apps are lower quality. You also have to buy into the Google botnet unless you want a crippled device.

iOS is locked down but smoother and justwerks. Pirating apps is a pain unless you jailbreak, but the apps you do get are higher quality because devs earn more money on iOS. iOS gets more consistent updates and the operating system is more secure. But it's really annoying when you can't do something that is easy to do on Android because Apple doesn't let you.

What phone do you have?
Google is supposedly working on RCS, which is like next-gen MMS. They have pretty much all the carriers and Android OEMs on board. Who knows, maybe it will be integrated to iMessage if it's popular enough.
Do you get less pussy now than when you had an iphone?

Quick rundown on the google botnet? Are you talking about how they track your Chrome browsing and location? Or is there more to it?
Do you use an iphone? How is the file management on iOS?

>OS you started with
iOS 5 on the iPhone 4, used it for 3 years.
>OS you switched to
Android 4.4.2
>when you switched
3 years ago
Never made a better choice.
>would you go back?
Hell no.
It was pretty smooth, comfy, looked nice, but it didn't let me use the capabilities of the phone because muh Apple. I couldn't install 3rd party or pirated apps, didn't have access to some apps due to region restrictions. It was a pain in the ass to put music or movies on the phone, it always wanted to update itself, many of the apps wouldn't update unless I had the latest iOS. The iOS 7 UI is pure shit, so I didn't update, I sold my phone instead, I got tired of dodging all the bullshit Apple might or might not throw in my way.
The system looks less polished and the settings are kinda all over the place, but other than that, I'm pretty satisfied, finally I can do what I want on my phone.

Android 2.2
Android 7.0

>Android 4.4 Galaxy S3 to iOS 9 iP6s
>Switched 2015
>Yes
>Apple's gotta screw up for me to go back

>Missed Clover on Android 4.4 more than anything. I loved Nova Launcher too. But I was ready to go iPhone. I was sick of apps on my S3 randomly closing, clearing cache immense lag whenever I tried to do something, etc.

>Got 6s at launch and quickly grew to love iOS 9. I turned the phone on and didn't see an obnoxious red Verizon logo. I was surprised to see no VZ apps I needed to delete. The camera was outstanding. The battery was still be above 50% at the end of the day. The Touch ID unlocked the phone quickly and, more important to me, consistently.

The big takeaway for me is that my Galaxy S3 from 2013-15 gradually became nonfunctional even after factory resets/ram erasure/new battery/kitkat update. My iPhone is now older than that S3 but still runs like the day I bought it.

Part of my secret to success though has been to keep iOS 9.3.5 and not upgrade. I knew they would gimp it in future updates as evidenced by batterygate.

Attached: iPhone_6s_SpaceGrey_1024x1024.png (336x556, 189K)

I do it every contact period just to spice if up a bit. Both ways is pretty easy to do.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x2208, 1.11M)

>>OS you started with

Android 2.3, Droid X.

>>OS you switched to

iPhone 4s, iOS 5

>>when you switched

Fall 2011 or 2012 when the iPhone 4s came out

>>are you happy with switching?

Yes

>>would you go back?

Doubt it

>>best and worst things about old OS

Best - Customization is neat
Worst - Lag, bad apps, all around bad experience.

>>best and worst things about new OS

Best - Consistency. Things work like you expect it to 100% of the time. It is a reliable OS.

Worst - I guess lack of customization maybe

>OS you started with
Eclair 2.1
>OS you switched to
Froyo 2.2
ICS, Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, Lollipop, Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo
>when you switched
At first i had a very unpopular phone, pretty late, then i got into the flagship game.
More or less
>would you go back?
Design wise, yes. to 4.0
Best: Design
Worst: Fluidity
Best: Fluidity, UI improvements
Worst: Design, Treble being a proprietary heaven

So you're still on android?

>OS you started with
Android on Note 2, followed by Note 4. (and side burner phones)
>OS you switched to
iOS on iPhone 7+
>when you switched
Late 2017. All Android phones were a combination of Google botnet, Chinese botnet and/or bloated to their teeth.
Yes.
>would you go back?
Yes, if an optimised and debloated phone comes out that is not Pixel or OnePlus, or if I decide I like Pixel or OnePlus.
best: can pirate ebooks/movies on the air from 4g before a trip, native file browser, can almost use your phone as a mini-pc (bonus: can play comfy chess with an S-pen specific to Samsung)
worst: bloated, fragmented and unoptimised botnet piece of shit. How much each adjective applies depends on the manufacturer.
best: smooth and optimised, secure by design (brick if stolen), not made by an advertising company - but a company that has the balls to overcharge you for the hardware
worst: can't pirate on the air (must have laptop with iTunes), no native file browser (things like certificates or OpenVPN configurations - you have to email for yourself?!), must run iTunes on desktop, which means you must also run a Windows partition or VM, they are shilling the Apple environment too much (doesn't play nice with Windows and not at all with Linux).

Bonus: want to watch a movie and charge your phone at the same time on your train? CAN'T MOTHERFUCKER ONE PORT! Did I mention pirating on 4g is a nightmare and you have to hotspot your own laptop?

That's what pisses me off about ios. On android it's so easy to move files around within the phone and transfer files between the phone and PC. USB, google drive, wireless file transfers, 3rd party apps, etc.

Yes.

>and preinstalled bloatware that is difficult to remove or requires a package disabler
Hardly an objection, given that it's outright impossible on the iOS. Root isn't even required for this now.
>ROM support is heavily dependent on device
So, buy the model which is developer friendly then because you have a choice? Also applies to
as well.
>You also have to buy into the Google botnet unless you want a crippled device.
Coming from the user of iOS. Oh, please.

What if I want a top of the line flagship phone and not some $400 chinkshit that comes with an unlocked bootloader?

>Coming from the user of iOS.
Are you saying the Apple botnet and the Google botnet are in the same ballpark?

Let's not forget the manufacturer's botnet and if you're from the US - the carrier botnet.

>iphone user shilling for android
What did he mean by this?

Who are you quoting?

The person I replied to

>What if I want a top of the line flagship phone and not some $400 chinkshit that comes with an unlocked bootloader?
Then you're a part of the Apple's target market - simply: weak willed people who don't know any better.
>Are you saying the Apple botnet and the Google botnet are in the same ballpark?
There's no way of knowing this, and there's a possibility of escaping one, but not the other.

What botnets can and can't you escape from?

Where are the words you've quoted in that post?

Why are you asking this when you clearly know the answer? You've mentioned unlocked bootloaders.

I was summarizing your post, if you couldn't read between the lines.

I'm not that user. But you're saying an unlocked bootloader lets you get away from Google?

>But you're saying an unlocked bootloader lets you get away from Google?
It implies the ability to install custom ROMs, which also don't have to include Google apps (which is your decision).

Tbh I use a lot of google services so idt I could get away from the Google botnet no matter what phone or OS I use.

>OS you started with
Android
>OS you switched to
iOS
>when you switched
Like 2011 or something
Yeah
>would you go back?
Maybe, Android does have some advantages, like easier sideloading (sideloading is still possible on iOS, but since my phone isn't jailbroken, I have to sideload in such a way that it only lasts for 7 days, then you have to resign the app or some shit)
Android is good. One gripe I have about modern Android is the on-screen navigation buttons. It takes up screen real estate, and I like tactile buttons which I can push.
I wish I could sideload things easier onto an iPhone

For my next phone I might get an Android because I think they're both great platforms and I want to have both in my arsenal.

Oh yeah another advantage of Android is WebM support. Minor, but important if you're visiting certain basket weaving forums.

Samshill 8, i know Jow Forums is not a fan, but it's been good to me so far, I got it cheap so I'm not complaining

0 x 0 = 0

>Then you're a part of the Apple's target market
Okay.png
>simply: weak willed people who don't know any better.
>user explains how wanting to use your phone as a tool instead of a toy means you're weak willed through myriad voodoo ways of reasoning