/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60, X60(s; t); X200(s; t), T400(s)/500; W500.
Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat31.jpg (3200x2368, 411K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/iwi0-firmware-error-td300141.html
youtu.be/jb7p3VkQCOo?t=6m22s
amazon.com/Chromebook-processor-Bluetooth-Wireless-included/dp/B078GF7LTT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527199761&sr=8-3&keywords=chromebook fhd
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-14-i7-4700MQ-2-4GHz-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-GeForce-GT-730M/132630329112?hash=item1ee1623718:g:AjUAAOSwtJBbAfJp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i want to skin that roof rabbit and break your faggy thinkpad.
not so "comfy" now, are you?

My X230 needs a new battery, who has the best replacements for cheap? It'll have to have the chip on it.

I just got thinkpad R51, 32 bit but I can't get openbsd wireless working in it.

It prints the same error messages as this guy openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/iwi0-firmware-error-td300141.html but apparently that bug was already fixed long ago. What do you think? should I just use linux on it?

holy shit

Attached: 12873dd5ea1f53eb9a8b629236c239a1b52aec009f7d33c57b2f92df3816a32d.jpg (800x800, 31K)

>he want to hurt an innocent animal and destroy someone else property
seek medical help user, or grow up if you're just an edgy teen

Jesus man that's not even shitposting

Do you want to talk about it user?

wow, I didn't think this kind of autism existed these days after they banned vaccines

Are you black?

refurbished x220 is coming monday, am excite

t440 just came in. I am satisfied with it for the most part, however the battery seems to be draining remarkably fast. Lost 15% in approximately 30 minutes of regular use. I doubt I'm gonna get more than 2 hours out of this thing. Am I gonna have to buy another battery? Does ubuntu manage power better than windows 10?

Which Thinkpad has a super trakpad, the T430 or the x230?

Attached: IMG_1145_01.jpg (1600x1200, 313K)

super mario has a super trackpad

Which ThinkPad has the best screen? I ask because i am planning in using said ThinkPad for drawing.

Stock? W510 to W530 (and corresponding T-series) had a breddy gud 1080p panel, it's TN but it's wide color gamut.
If you're fine with modding just get any IPS-moddable thinkpad

Seek help

That's not a real Thinkpad, you should go back to plebbit.

>using thinkshits for any kind of color accurate task

Looking into these right now, to be completely honest with ya i don't really want to mod it, i can't afford fucking something up.

Hey man, i'm on a budget here.

a cheap ryzen APU build + good used monitor + good used drawing tablet will last you much longer than a 5+ year old laptop

Neither. See picrelated for correct answer.
>grip tape on tpad
Wat are u, twelve?

Attached: full_frontal_t440p_00.jpg (1987x1446, 1.08M)

Get the fuck outta here, actual glass coming through.
Also r8 my memepad collection. Glad to be finally done with this autism. I feel like it's complete at this point.
>Latitude E6440 with 1600x900, AMD gpu
>Elitebook 8470p 1600x900 almost mint condition
>Elitebook 8470p 1366x768 X2, using one as my main machine
>T60
>T61
>T500 with a cracked base near the hinge, I'll fix it eventually. And flash the bios. 1680x1050
>X200, mint condition. I love it but putting any wear on it would be sad. LED display
>dead X201 RIP was my daily driver from 2015 to 2017.
>T420 1600x900
>T530 1600x900 with nvidia
>X220T in the mail.

Attached: IMG_20180510_015425.jpg (2592x1944, 1.86M)

>t440
>dual core ulv shit that performs worse than the t430
but why

not the best but FHD IPS on the t440p is pretty gud

Any tips for a fresh trackpoint user? I have the sensitivity really high, but I still need to put a lot of pressure to move the cursor (Though now it zaps across the screen)

It's this
Those models are pretty much the only thinkpads with actually good screen for graphics work, in fact the only one until the HDR/OLED nupads came out. I was lucky enough to get a T530 with the AUO V4 screen, and based on numerous reviews, some by photographers, this screen covers 100% sRGB and 95% aRGB.

The only issue then is to actually find one; you have to buy the model that has the 1080p panel from the start. There are lots of compatible 1080p upgrade panels on eBay for this model, the problem is 'compatible', they'll fit in and work, but the screen is not of the same quality.

If you want, I can write something else later about using this screen, there are a few trade-offs too when using a wide-gamut panel like this.

Alright Jow Forums, I can get a T440s and E7440 for nearly the same price with similar specs (fhd, i5, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd), which one do I get?
They seem pretty similar overall, does it come down to personal preference in regards to keyboard/trackpad/design? I know the E7440 has a free mSATA slot and the T440s on the other hand a free M.2 2242 slot, should I care about this?
>inb4 muh ulv cpu get a T440p

The Latitude, unironically

I ordered a t430 but they told me it was out of stock and offered me the t440. I need a laptop for travelling so I took the offer.

Where can I find good HDD bays drive for a T430 (Europe)?

Convince me not to buy 11 T420's for IT classes I teach.

>inb4 apostrophe shouldn't be there
I had to differentiate the T420 and T420s

why the fuck

unpopular opinion:
few years from now, x270 will be the star of refurbished market, like x220 and x230 are now and remembered as last good thinkpad from X series.

What does Jow Forums think of the x270, I can get one a bit below ebay prices, unused and practically new. I've been planning to get an X230 recently, but is it worth getting a 270 instead?

I'll probably play some games on integrated graphics, and mainly use it for writing shit in latex (so faster compiles can be nice) and reading papers.

Do the X270s have shit screens? (this is a 1366x768 model).

>why the fuck
1) they're cheap
2) I need to buy 11 laptops for elementary school IT classes.

DELET DIS

Srsly, though, you're probably right. Unless they return to what made dankpads great, it'll be the cheap plentiful beast.

How many are there?

>travelling
I travel with the X series, does it lack something?

For long travel, the X200 is good for me
>chargable batteries without laptop
>I can have 3 or 4 batteries charged in my backpack so days of usage.

plenty. and I am pretty sure, significant portion of people who were waiting for X280 eventually settled for X270 after X280 was introduced.

I'd wait for the A285. I'm not good with money, but fuck me, I'll save up for it.

How's the repairability? That's what I rant on Macs about, so it might be a dealbreaker.

A285 is based on x280 platform - means no ethernet, soldered RAM. you might not need those, but in general, those are often important factors why people consider thinkpads instead of other portables.

The absolutely garbage TN panel, unless you can get a those 900p ones usually on T420s

have the school deploy some from whatever supplier you have
why the fuck would you pay it out of pocket, and why would you take 11 memepads out of the hands of autistic anons

1) I'm only in charge of choosing the laptops, I'm not paying for them
2) all 11 would be from a refurb company, no anons in sight.
Fuck their eyes, I won't be using it. I'm thinking about the repairability of the things
Well fuck that, then. I'll wait for the 270 to hit 1500 dollaridoos or so before I buy.

I bought one of these a little less than a year ago, refurbished, and it's been one of the best laptops I've ever owned. I was pretty skeptical initially, too.

I prefer a 14" screen.

dude you can get X270 with corporate discount for like 800.

>x230 with backlit keyboard
Why would I want the older keyboard?

jesus fucking chirst, after 30 mins of trying, i've finally got a connection on the bios chip with a pomona clip.

Well for me, it's 40 000 CZK, but yeah, they're for 20 000 as well if I look right...

All right, no problem there.

you don't. it's max comfy user

Attached: IMG_0438.rotated.jpg (3024x2268, 1.01M)

You should think about the limited screen size they're gonna face, and how the cheap ass screen will make them think "wtf is this cheap shit I'm getting ripped off"

Top kek, my off-brand worked first time. Good luck!
Trust me, my school used a ThinkStation from 2000 until last year. These people don't care about screens. Neither do the children, in fact.

roof rabit haha

For the non-shit layout. You'll see anons here raving about muh feel or muh key travel but the layout is the real issue.
see youtu.be/jb7p3VkQCOo?t=6m22s

reppin

Attached: DSC_0068.jpg (3840x2160, 2.29M)

Think you're gonna regret all the time and money you wasted when you realize it's just placebo?
There's nothing wrong with the new layout that you can't change with xmodmap.
I would much rather have the increased tactility.

got one machine done. now 2 to go.

Attached: IMG_0528.jpg (4032x3024, 1.17M)

Thanks user. Sadly it seems like the latitude might be HD and not fhd after all (when I wanted to buy, suddenly somewhere sneaky was mentioned "resolution 1366x768" despite the description saying fhd multiple times), and I don't feel like taking a chance, so I'll probably go with the T440s

Hey Jow Forums, I need your help ASAP, I have the chance to buy a T510 for 180EUR, is it a good deal? I need a lappy for work

Attached: 1515109246279.png (602x445, 295K)

>finally fall for the thinkpad meme
>decide to go balls deep, get T530 for USB3 xx20 keyboard mod for comfiness
>normie friend visits
>"heard u bought a new laptop lol"
>y-yeah, it's acually used and a couple years old
>"dude it looks ancient lmao"
>he has a Dell of some sorts with a 2nd gen i5
>tell him my T530 has a 3rd gen i7
>he picks it up, plays around for a while
>leaves some time after

>some amount of time passes
>normie friend says his mum broke her old laptop, so he's going to pass the dell to her and get a new laptop for himself
>ok, whatever
>some more time passes
>friend calls
>dude grab your laptop and come to my house xd
>arrive to the house
>pic related
>this knee grow bought an identical T530 to mine
>i run arch btw
>friend plans to get an xx20 keyboard for it, asks for advice how to mod it
>i just turned a normie into a thinkfag
There's a warm fluffy feeling in my chest.
Hope you liked my blog.

Attached: 20180514_141024.jpg (5312x2988, 3.82M)

So I managed to somehow fuck up taking off the keyboard of my T470. I like to think I'm not an idiot but I can't think of a reason things went wrong except because I somehow fucked it up. I've taken off and replaced keyboards on other ThinkPads with no issues but I'd never tried it on my T470 so I found the instructions on Lenovo's site "just to be safe". Long story short, as I popped it out of the machine the plastic clip on one of the connectors that hold the keyboard/trackpoimt cable in place just fucking fell off without there even being much force to cause it. I called support, embarrassed. They're gonna fix it for me. If I had steady hands I'd see if I could do it myself but I'm clumsy and also take a medication that causes trembling mostly of the hands.

Thanks for reading my blog post.

amazon.com/Chromebook-processor-Bluetooth-Wireless-included/dp/B078GF7LTT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527199761&sr=8-3&keywords=chromebook fhd

should I straight up turn the ol' T430 off every time or just put it on sleep?
boot time doesn't matter as it takes less than 10 seconds anyway

>Glad to be finally done with this autism. I feel like it's complete at this point.
Does this mean you'll stop posting that image?>queer barlet for the weaboo manlet
How cute!
>0:00 - I'm gonna spend time in this vidya on the objective and not spew opinion and rant on & on
>0:50 - those fucking lenovo designers are completely retarded
>saved sixteen minutes of strangling my fhd
Why is it that every blathering idiot on the face of this planet feels compelled to record and share his absolute idiocy with the rest of the world?

Let's not rush into converting people though

These laptops are still cheap

I have a T530 not a T430 user

Looking for some suggestions on where to buy a T440p. I've bought two Thinkpads from Arrowdirect in A grade. Both of them were arrived pretty banged up, bottom cover was missing feet, keyboards were pretty gross. Where should I look for my next laptop? I'm deciding between eBay and Craigslist.

eBay, and check seller rep. Then Craigslist.
>falling for the """""""""professional"""""""""" refurbisher meme.

shame on me for falling for the meme twice. as for ebay, would you recommend sniping auctions or buying it now for a T440P?

also, what should someone expect to pay for a laptop like this, ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-14-i7-4700MQ-2-4GHz-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-GeForce-GT-730M/132630329112?hash=item1ee1623718:g:AjUAAOSwtJBbAfJp

/tpg/ is great for finding old laptop hard drives that have somehow survived.
Can anyone beat this?
It's a WD scorpio black that came with my first 8470p (my main machine). I zeroed it out and I'm using it as my boot drive even though I have 3 SSDs.
Explains why I had to replace the fan.

Attached: 2018-05-23-1527119030_964x500.png (964x500, 80K)

It's got a hundred bucks worth of RAM in it, and another 50 in the SSD. I would go all the way to 400 because it looks really clean too.
not to samefag, but refurbniggers are great for deals if you're an asshole (like me).
This 8470p that I'm using was $90, I bought it for $150. That's because the seller was a retard that listed the wrong specs, shipped it without a battery and the BIOS was locked.
I unlocked the bios, got a partial refund AND made him buy me a battery. It was chink but whatever.

Attached: 2018-05-23-1527117727_1366x768.png (1366x768, 1.53M)

Anyone tried this out?

Attached: Screenshot (1).png (1212x483, 377K)

Do display ports come standard with the t420s? Trying to get my girlfriend a laptop on the cheap and she's seen my x220 and is interested due to how cheap and efficient it is. All I really need is something with a moderately good processor, more than 150gb of storage, dvd drive, 4gb of memory (DDR3) and if possible a hdmi port.

thanks user, I'll keep an eye out on the auction then :-)

anyone else waiting for the next macbook pro?

If you prowl craigs long enough you might hit the jackpot. That said, have you tried itxchange? They're a refurber but have some good deals. Eying some accessories myself. I got lucky and found mine few yrs back on calguns marketplace. Dude won it in a raffle and had tp already. That's one of two that I browse regularly because it's that good. Maybe some of the message boards you might be signed up at have busy ee's/marketplaces?

I bought a Thinkpad X61s intending to use Linux on it, and so far I've mainly used Windows 10. It's just so convient with the UWP apps and everything.

Anyway what distro should I use?

Ubuntu, for starters. Considering it's an X61s, try Mate or Xubuntu.

Just install GNU directly.

Attached: wsl.png (800x652, 103K)

My T440p is constantly spinning the fan up and down and it's pissing me off, can you set a custom fan curve with newer ThinkPad™'s like you could the old ones?

>gahnoo linux

Attached: screenshot37.png (1164x786, 286K)

Did he make love to your boipussy after?

owo

i bought an x230t on ebay and now that i have it, i totally regret the purchase

how do i get the seller to take the damn thing back?

Should I go for the T420 or X230 (both i5)? They are the same price.

X230
>i totally regret the purchase
why?

the touchpad is trash compared to my T470 that got stolen, the multitouch doesn't work (finger and pen work), I didn't know you couldn't use the 9-cell with it, no backlit keyboard despite it displaying an option for one

It would depend on what your usage is. If you need something relatively thin to carry inside a bag for answering emails, writing papers at the coffee shop I would suggest x230. If you need one kompewter to do it all, I quite like the 420 for its 1600 x 900 screen and the ability to remove the optical drive for a secondary SSD.

The X230 and T420 are fine computers. Honestly you can't go wrong with either. It's a matter of preference really.

P51 user here, bow down to me peasants. My machine was made by the gods.

Dear T4x faggots,

Reball or reflow?

t. user whose GPU might have been touched by ati aids

I have a faint memory of my deceased father owning a laptop with a red trackpoint. Are there any other business laptops besides the thinkpad that have a red trackpoint?

p71 is better

Just picked up a t440p. I know the trackpad can be swapped. Can i put a non-chiclet t420 keyboard in it?

Amazon

No

Reball
Reflowing has always been a meme

Complain about the keyboard, dispute with eBay and send it back

any recomendations for a cheap 240GB SSD I can put into T500? it's SATA II so I don't need anything fancy. was thinking about budget Goodram or ADATA, maybe Crucial. I can find them for ~50 euros

I'd rather fix what's broken
Not throw it away

Full size display ports are standard on the 20 series afaik

I want to upgrade the wireless card to am Intel AC 7260 in my 420 to make pages load even faster. In order for me to do that the bios has to be modified.

Are there any downsides to doing that? From my searches everyone seems to have only positive responses so are there no consequences if the install fails in some strange way?

Its good enough for what you want.