/spg/ - Smartphone General - HTC edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

>News
The HTC U12+ is out
>SD 845
>6 GB of RAM
>GOAT camera
>Sensible fingerprint sensor placement
>No notch
>Translucent blue option
>No 3.5mm headphone jack

Sony Xperia XZ2 long-term review
gsmarena.com/sony_xz2_long_term-review-1768.php

Old bread

Attached: HTC-U12-Plus-Image.png (1178x312, 299K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lineageos.org/devices/)
strawpoll.me/15761678
ebay.com/itm/332607837230
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/unified-development/rom-lineageoms-android-7-x-nougat-t3648049
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is the redmi 5 plus the best $200 smartphone?

Hello anons
Recommend me smartphone with best camera under 350 USD

No, the note is. The 5 Plus should be 130 most. The 5 Plus has a shitty camera, ok CPU and just 3gb of RAM, that is OK, but won't last too much, and the point of having to spend not much money is to keep that cheap phone for some time and not just for one year.

Why not pic related instead?

Attached: leeco le pro 3 x722.jpg (293x600, 46K)

The global redmi 5 plus has 4 gigs of ram with 64 gigs of storage and the snapdragon 625 cpu. Can't find note 5 anywhere else but sketchy importation sites.

old shit, it was good, but it has no headphone jack, but if he doesn't care about having to replace the battery nor the lack of that, then it should be good for him
then get it from AliExpress, senpai, there is an official xiaomi store

Any info on OPPO smartphones? Are they good?
Especially F7

I believe you could try to find Nokia 8 for the money and install G-Cam. Pretty good setup.

Is the fact that a device does not appear here (wiki.lineageos.org/devices/) final regarding being unable to install LineageOS on it, or is it just advisory?

I'm thinking of getting a Nokia 3, but I won't do it if there are no good ROMs I can put on it.

Is the iphone 7+ relevant ?
I don't want a phone that's as wide as my window and it's about the same price as the galaxy S9.

I meant tall

meow :3

Get a Samsung s6

Anons, I have an s9 and running resolution on fhd. How much SoT would I be losing out on if I ran max res all the time? Insubstantial? Gonna test it today but I'd like to hear different experiences. Pic unrelated

Attached: 26757763_2024616954219917_1310412916462187375_o.jpg (1050x700, 63K)

reposting because no responses

USA
I will be using it with verizon, so CDMA is needed.
I want a headphone jack and micro SD card slot.
Im a bigger guy so id prefer a bigger phone.
Budget is like $800 ish. I would go for the s9+ but its just a tad too expensive, and even though i love the edge of the s7e, I cant stand that I cant use a good screen protector.

Man, one thing I'm gonna miss about the LG G4 is that it had that grippy leather back and a slight curve. Was really one of the most comfortable phones as far as 5+inches go. Just made a call on my XZ1 compact and it's gonna take me a while to get used to side buttons again, and holding it up to my face.

>why not the S9 plus? Is not it much better?
the only thing better is the camera but just because it have second sensor with 2x zoom and a bit better in battery life
but it's more expensive and bigger, I like a phone on the "smaller" side

Which is the best flagship right now?

strawpoll.me/15761678
strawpoll.me/15761678
strawpoll.me/15761678

The S9 is dumbass.

Note 8

I want a new phone, budget is for a mid-range one and I don't like the new Moto G designs, should I get an Xperia XA2 or get an old Pixel?

chinkphones out of the question

what about the new nokias? good price, nice design and specs (idk if they're available in US though)

nokia=chink

HMD global are Finnish and if your point is that the components are chink then yes they are like all smartphones

Pixels are under $200 used now

ebay.com/itm/332607837230

I don't think the XA2 can beat that even though I like it

>Manufacturing is outsourced to Foxconn.
it's chink

is this a decent battery health for my BlackBerry dtek60 that I got used for 75 euros? it was 2 years old and will use it for another 2 years so it will be 50% probably so I will use it as my emulator device then

Attached: Screenshot_20180524-220556.png (1440x2560, 222K)

I'm really interested in either the Meizu 15 or 15 plus, but I've never bought a chinkphone before.

Is there any reason not to? I've never bought a phone using anything but Snapdragon before so I'm kinda hesitant.
Currently on an LG G3 that I've had for too long and can't wait to move on from.

Attached: 308842987-1031056847.jpg (800x800, 130K)

Go with xiaomi!

>I've never bought a phone using anything but Snapdragon before so I'm kinda hesitant.
If kernel source codes are available, you have nothing to worry about. Always check XDA forums. This isn't the greatest upgrade to your G3 available.

I have an S7 Edge, and would like to have 8.0. I'm pretty new to all this shit about roms and stuff, can I upgrade without losing my stuff? Or should I just wait until my phone gets it OtA?

>Can I upgrade with out losing my stuff?
No, back it up first if you're planning on doing anything.
>Should I want until my phone gets it OTA?
Have fun waiting

I had a look at their phones but I want the 3.5mm port.

Why do kernel sources matter? I've never cared for custom roms or kernels to be honest.
And what a better upgrade for 700 aud that has
>3.5mm port
>Good camera
>AMOLED screen (preferably 1440p)
>No notch
>Compatible with AU carriers Optus and Telstra

Well my shit is backed up, but I figure if you install a completely new ROM rather than upgrade, you're basically doing a system wipe. I'd rather just upgrade if that was possible.

always check xda before getting chink, their software is usually trash and you need custom roms to fix that

I've read and watched YouTube reviews, flyme doesn't seem like a bad skin, my only gripe with it is the lack of an app drawer and I can live with that.

Has anyone here owned a Meizu? What issues does flyme have that will affect me? Honestly though I'm not bothered as long as the UI let's be easily access my apps...

bump

That's pretty shit, by 2 years most Android phones would still be over 90%...

my nexus 5x is at 85%, the blackberry still gets 4-5 hours of SOT so I'm fine

>phone review
>reviewer uses the uggo white version with white front that makes the phone look unnecessarily horrible

>my only gripe with it is the lack of an app drawer and I can live with that.
Custom launchers like Nova Launcher exist.

tell me about the s9

>Compatible with AU carriers Optus and Telstra
This should be the first on your list. Kimovil is useful for determining carrier compatibility.

I'm interested in Xiaomi, but I've never bought a Chinese phone before and I'm nervous. Looking at the Note 5 Pro or Mi Max 2 right now.
I'm looking for something with a big screen and good battery life, and a decent camera if possible.
Looking to spend $200-400.

Also, are these phones you have to root? I recall people worried about Spyware in the past, but maybe that was memeing I never caught on to.

oneplus 5t or 6
which one?>????????????????

5t doesn't have notch

notch is gonna be that annoying? shit

you can hide it in the settings and it's amoled screen so you won't even notice it

What's the deal with the notch? Why is it a thing if everyone hates it? What purpose does it serve?

The notch exists as a place to put the front facing camera and sensors on a phone when you're trying to get a high screen to body ratio. On something like an iPhone 10, where the bezels are equal along the display, the notch makes a decent amount of sense, because the screen covers the entire display, and all the afformentioned shit is all packed into the notch. However, on the Android side of things, notches are being used much more freely, being put on devices with massive chins that can easily accommodate the stuff that need to be put on the front of the phone. It not only looks like shit, but the purpose of keeping the ratio in check is ruined. You can also tell that it's being done to steal apple's juice, which sucks ass.

Anyone pumped for the lenovo z5?

they're literally finnish

Difference? They're both of the Golden Horde

no purpose, it's mindless apple copypaste
and maybe some marketing because they can now put something dumb like 19,5:9 aspect ratio

most people just jump in the bandwagon. it is a fantastic design solution if you don't have the tech to put the sensors somewhere else, but have an amoled screen and the software option to hide it with a black bar. literal win win
don't worry about it on the case with the op6

You children have seen a couple of drawings and shit your pants, fuck off.

Why are you so mean

Note 5 is undoubtedly the best bang for buck right now, and ticks all your boxes.

You do have to root. Xiaomi allow you to unlock your bootloader with an official tool when you request it and after like a week wait, but at least it's better than nothing or a fiddly DIY process.

LeEco phones were caught with spyware butil-in I believe, too lazy to find an article but I'm 100% sure it was a thing. Xiaomi's are clean but there's a chance if you bought it from an un-official reseller that it could contain a bogus stock rom with spyware. If in doubt you can flash the official version yourself without even having to wait.

This. The amount of shilling for that phone is insane.

It's not like this hasn't happened before either.

Attached: 1527201683135.jpg (353x300, 27K)

I'm ready to upgrade from my Nexus 5X and am trying to decide between a used Pixel or a Moto X4. Any advice Jow Forums? Using Project Fi so unfortunately stuck with those options, really don't want to drop 600+ on a Pixel 2.

brainlet here, why do you need to root them?

Get the X4 you will have longer software support than the Pixel, unless camera is important, and I mean vital

These days you really don't need to if you're only going to be using the phone for normie purposes.
Rooting can still let you do stuff like remove bloatware and use a better app backup but if seeing as most normie apps are backed up to the cloud and you can just hide bloatware it's not a necessity anymore. Unless you have autism of course.

Thanks for the info. I've never done any rooting or custom firmware stuff. Do you have any resources to point me to so I could read up on it?
Do I need to find a specific firmware to match the model of phone, or can I just throw stock android on? Not that I would, I just want to know my options.

Also, do you think the 4gb/6gb ram versions are worth the price over the 3gb note 5?

I was more saying why would you need to root a xaiomi phone. i understand why someone would want to root their phone in general, but do you need to root one of those phones? Like it comes with a funky chink os that you can't really use and need to flash a different one.

XDA usually has a guide on how to do xyz for the specific device, Xiaomi phones are relatively painless in that regard.

If you're going use a custom ROM then you will need the version specific to your device, again found on XDA. The Note 5 supports project treble, so there's a ton of options for custom ROM's already available.

First and foremost I'd check the model you're buying is compatible with the 4G bands on your network. There's a 3GB/4GB Global version and a 3/4/6 Chinese/Indian version. The Global version is designed for EU networks with the Chinese version working in China a possibly in the US, depending on your carrier like I said, you'll have to look it up.

The 4GB model would be the better option in terms of future proofing, apps just get more and more bloated as time goes on... Depends on how long you want to keep the phone. If 2+ years I'd go with the larger RAM variant.

I just ordered the Meizu 15 Plus.
Wish me luck!

Attached: kinder_egg.webm (640x360, 1.3M)

Ah, yeah like I said it's not really necessary. Xiaomi does have a few bloatware apps alright, you may want to root to uninstall them if they annoy you.

The OS itself (MIUI) works great though, it's as smooth as stock android for the most part. And you can just install Nova or Google Now Launcher if you don't like the home screen.

After years of fucking around with custom ROM's I've found that just sticking to a stable ROM is the best thing to do if you're just using it as a daily phone. The benefits aren't really noticeable for a normie, there's a specific feature you have to want badly for it to be worth the effort imo.

Samsung (A5) 2017 here. I've had this thing since release as I got it for basically free, even contract-wise (turns out ISP was overcharging so they gave a phone to compensate for the accumulated positive balance.)

Considering my phone before that was an iPhone 4S, I'm very impressed with how it turned out, but unfortunately its got the cancer of modern phones known as MUH GLUE. My next phone will likely be a Fairphone if they aren't bankrupt by whenever I get a new one or possibly a Motorola of some sort, Z looks pretty neat because of the mods.

But I expect to keep the A5 for at least 3 more years for a total of 5. It's getting some microabrasions on the back even though I've got a case, so I'm quite unhappy with the quality of the back glass, but beggars can't be choosers and this is a mid-range model so a lower quality is to be expected. Blazing fast though and even good for dicking around with phone VR.
Furthermore, it has quite a few cases available and the screen protectors are cheaper than same-brand ones for the Galaxy for example, most likely due to the difficulty they've got selling it. From a corporate standpoint, this thing's a mixed success, as I see a ton of people with it but generally no accessories available for it, even though almost a year has passed.

Tempted to get one of those chink wireless adapters that you plug into the power port and that enables your phone to become wireless.

Anyone with a Fairphone to give an accurate rundown?

>MUH GLUE
What glue?

>Samsung (A5) 2017 here
>before that was an iPhone 4S
Are you me and do you also have a yelow twirl pattern on your camera output?

the notch is a meme it doesn't bother me one bit. look at it yourself if you like it or not

Thanks for the tip, think I'll go with an X4 then

Alas, most phones are glued in nowadays. The monitors and back panels are chock full of adhesives that claim to 'waterproof' the device at the cost of all access to its innards. Almost any phone made after 2014 has used these adhesives to secure the back panel and front panel to the encasement in the case of double panel phones, or in the case of glass-backs, its' used to plug the rear panel to the rest of the chassis.

And these devices then need heat-guns and solvents to take apart and without any proper apparatus for putting them together, people have to rely on double-sided tape and other weaker adhesives to put the phone back together, completely eliminating any previously promised water resistence and durability.

Completely forgot to mention, I didn't have a twirl on the phone but I did end up with quite a few unsightly fade marks on the camera, although perhaps this may have been damage to the display, however invisible unless shooting in low light conditions where the blacks and light bleed stand out more.

Would this get the same updates as the official LineageOS? forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/unified-development/rom-lineageoms-android-7-x-nougat-t3648049

Just made this mockup of what I believe would be an ideal iPhone.
>size of an iphone se
>no glass back
>large screen size without notch compromise
>FaceID on the front
>side button

I'm well aware why this would probably never happen but still thought it looked cool.

Attached: iphone.jpg (1200x899, 65K)

The chin and forehead are still too big
Use the frame of the SE to make a Mini X with a minimal notch or none at all

I actually prefer a slight bezel top and bottom for symmetry without a notch.

Well good for you, too bad it wouldn't sell

>I'm well aware why this would probably never happen but still thought it looked cool.

I already pointed that out

I have autismo and I need a phone right now. Name the best phone for me please Jow Forums? Not iphones though I hate IOS

Honor 7X

Is it possible for your phone to destroy a charger?
Used two genuine samsung chargers with a j7 and one's output voltage dropped and the other went completely kapot.

What are your needs?

Nah

not OP but I want a good battery life and possibly 1080p back camera recording. Budget around 150-200 usd. India.

Priority list:
budget
battery
video recording(Dont care if it isn't there, really cool if I could get it)

I need it for everyday use, yet I still want high resolution it has to have decent battery life at least one day.

4gb ram preferred I tend to use a lot of applications along with navigation.

The processing power is kind of relevant, but as long as it is better than Iphone 6 it's probably fine.

Under 1,000$ most importantly, and that is even steep compared to what I want to spend. I don't use social media at all. Probably irrelevant information, but mostly just a decent phone on par with technology currently.

Mi Mix 2

no, but it the charger might destroy itself if it's shit quality and/or if you have the wrong volt/amp ratings

No, but it is possible to destroy a phone with a shit charger/charging cable

Seems a bit pricey, but I have only looked over the specs, fixing to start watching reviews. Thank you for your input usually it seems like I can't get an answer at all here.

>a bit pricey
You won't find a better spec'd 6/64 phone for ~$350, trust me I've looked
But if you insist on cheaper you should still be able to snag a LeEco Le Max 2 with decent storage and a SD820 for around $250

to add to this, go on kimovil

Thank you, I think I'm going to place an order for the unlocked phone from Amazon. Hopefully it is compatible with AT&T like it claims. Seems to be a solid phone. Again can't thank you enough. I was going to just go with the Galaxy S9 previously.

What is /spg/'s opinion of the XZ1c?

Attached: xz1c.jpg (900x1600, 303K)

USA
Sprint
~$200-$300, preferably new
Around 5" is ideal, nothing too big
Good battery life
Audio jack and micro SD slot musts
Won't be obsolete in a couple of years
Mild gaming while at home, I play Shadowverse, Duel Links, and Skullgirls Mobile mostly so something that can run these well.
I just want to be done with my iphone 6 and apple in general

Attached: 1387535537784.png (900x800, 134K)

The only phone that will work on your network is the G5+ or the X4, Sprint sucks for BYOD probably worse than Verizon

yeah, I'm just praying the merger with t-mobile goes through

Anyone owned/still own a Le Max 2? How's the developer community? How's battery life? Are they still worth it in the current year?

Attached: 20170223018181617kef29j.jpg (1000x1000, 86K)