I am a chemical engineer and know the basics of C++

I am a chemical engineer and know the basics of C++.

But I want to do more coding in my free time.

Is it a good idea to learn python? I want to write neat little tools, like making collages out of a bunch of pictures

Attached: file.png (486x144, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

python-course.eu/python3_course.php
docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sure, python is great for crap like that. As long as you're not trying to build a complex application in it it's fine.

>complex application
what would be a complex application?

anything that's more than 500 lines of code or isn't webdev shit.

Python would probably be your best bet, as it's kind of a do-all for applications, data visualization, etc. If you really do want to get into application development, however, you can get a lot of use out of C++.

If you want to go the easy route, can also do Typescript (Javascript with type checking) + Electron for super straightforward app making, although performance takes a dive compared to anything built in Python or C++ assuming best practices. Ease vs. performance essentially.

All dives down to what specifically you want to do.

if you need more than 500 lines of python it's a good sign that you might be doing something wrong.

I suggest you check out anaconda, and start working in jupyter (comes packaged with it)

thx anons for the input

It’s great for what you intend to do with it. There are so many libraries to make your life easier. Recently I used a serial library for python to communicate between my PC and my raspberry pi via the COM port. There are plenty more libraries for use in various fields of science too. I personally like this site as it gives you an overview of everything to do with python.

python-course.eu/python3_course.php

I’m not a big video tutorial guy and prefer reading. Sentdex and Corey Schafer on youtube are worth looking up if you learn through videos.

dont listen to this retard. python works for anything even his unemployed opinion about complex application.

lmao you couldn't become a chemist

Attached: 1464113101065.jpg (474x348, 46K)

Chemists are literally worthless on current year.
t. fellow chem engineer

I'd say less than 5000 and even 10000 would still be ok for python

>coding in my free time
what about a little of social interaction, you fucking looser

>social interaction
what is this?

yes. I am learning it too coming from C/C++ and Perl. For applied sciences, it is a must learn tool. I just downloaded some books. Many of these are available online (and in better format).

If you know a bit of programming, this was suggested to start:

docs.python.org/3/tutorial/

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-24 17-29-52.png (590x383, 31K)

yeah thanks, I still have access to my uni's online lib and can download hundreds of python books

keep in mind, you only need 1 or at most 2 resources.

I would suggest documentation and how to think like a computer scientist - learning with python since you're a chemical engineer.
Don't look in multiple spaces for too long. also use gen.lib.rus.ec for searching and downloading books.

I meant
Don't look at multiple resources, otherwise you will keep jumping around. Some things require thinking and persistence, which you will avoid if you keep looking for answers in other places. Sometimes the answer lies in spending time and thinking.

kek i have a gui project with python 10k LOC. Also a few ~5k lines of code python dictionaries for parameter documentations. What's your true idea of complex application? Unless it's numerical, then of course python is not the best option, otherwise it works fine

Desu Im myself studying EE in first year and only done stuff in python. There is a year gap between military service and continuing uni though

What should I pick up while Im in service?

Attached: 6d5.png (1280x720, 276K)

c++ or rust
lisp (so that you can read and work on SICP)

Python has its flaws, but it's the #1 most useful language in 2018. It's especially useful for science/engineering because there are great libraries. I'm a physicist who used to use fortran and C++, and now I just end up shitting out python most of the time because it's so easy, and getting things done fast is way more useful than squeezing out a few more lattice sites or whatever.

Any anons here went through from zero knowledge -> self taught -> some entry level python Jr jr job?

Currently learning python right now and I am curious.

No problem

Now about that handjob...

Self teaching is a meme, you'll just end up with a bunch of bad habits and poor practices which makes things wholly worse when you actually have to work with others.