What's the best Linux distro if you want to do a bit of everything (daily driver - gaming - programming)?

What's the best Linux distro if you want to do a bit of everything (daily driver - gaming - programming)?

Attached: 1519261055770.jpg (1920x1080, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

GNU/Linux*. Linux is just the kernel.

Slackware

I think that'd unironically be ubuntu.

Arch Linux or Debian

Ubuntu and it's flavors

>What's the best Linux distro if you want to do a bit of everything (daily driver - gaming - programming)?
I use gentoo for all of the above. Works well, no reason to switch.

Xubuntu

I've had the best luck with kubuntu.

It really depends.
In my notebook Ubuntu/Mint never gave me problems but on my desktop any distro is beyond trash. #Windows4lyfe

Arch, but if you’re a gaymer you’ll probably want Antergos since you wouldn’t be able to install arch

>Jow Forums shills Xubuntu as being lightweight when after being tested it turned out to be one of the least lightweight flavors of Ubuntu

I think it was third behind regular Ubuntu with gnome and Ubuntu with budgie. Though it may have been mate. I just remember being amused when kubuntu came in as one of the most lightweight flavors. I can't wait until lubuntu officially switches to lxqt

Linux is the distro not the kernel. The kernel is called the " the linux kernel" not linux. No matter how badly you want it not to be.
Linux will always mean the distro, because thats how people work. Kernels dont get names they get numbers.

Debian, Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

see

Debian GNU/Linux

Most distros are actually fine for general use but for gayming specifically you might want an Ubuntu-based one for driver support.

No. The kernel's name is quite literally just Linux. Calling it the whole distro Linux is about as ridiculous as trying to call the whole thing GNU. This is why if you include GNU then it's GNU/Linux, but you don't have to include GNU packages if you don't want.

>Linux (/ˈlJnəks/ (About this sound listen) LIN-əks)[9][10] is a family of free and open-source software operating systems built around the Linux kernel.
>The Linux kernel is an open-source monolithic Unix-like computer operating system kernel.

>linux
>gaming

topkek

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.
>Linus, ftp.funet.fi/pub/linux/historical/kernel/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

Solus

>Linux is a family of free and open-source software operating systems

Linux is a kernel; a program in a system.

Arch Linux
Or Antergos (aka Arch for Noobs)

It seems you have some reading comprehension problems. Here, I'll write it again:
>Linux is a family of free and open-source software operating systems

Fedora. newer drivers bring better performance but if you don't do any gayming I suggest debian

Kinda this. I use Debian for anything right now but I have old Arch installation as well with openbox, it just works and I use it for programing only).

This brings me back some nostalgia, I'd really like go back home to Slackware.

>Some people object that the name "Linux" should be used to refer only to the kernel, not the entire operating system. This claim is a proxy for an underlying territorial dispute; people who insist on the term GNU/Linux want the FSF to get most of the credit for Linux because [Stallman] and friends wrote many of its user-level tools. Neither this theory nor the term GNU/Linux has gained more than minority acceptance.
Fuck off Stallman. Don't you have some abortions jokes to make right now?

>Saying intentionally wrong shit over and over again makes it correct
This is why we can't have nice things

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Cinnamon or MATE.

Attached: 2018-05-24-151744_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.19M)

You can keep deluding yourself, but the fact that Linux refers to the OS won't ever change. It probably doesn't matter to you since you're already this deep in your own delusions and denial though.

Linux is a kernel. Linux can be found in systems such as Android, GNU variants and embedded systems.

Debian is for old computers & old drivers

Arch for new computers & bleeding edge drivers

t. King of the memes

>Arch for new computers
?

did you read my post user? I just said if you don't do any gaming debian is a good choice

what's the difference between manjaro and antergos

You are being trolled by companies who want people to think less about freedom and welcome proprietary software.

It doesn't need to change because it isn't true. The only one trying to delude people is you when you attempt to swallow everything up into a generic brand. Linux is not this, I'm sure people like you would prefer it if it was, but it makes no sense to do so.

you can easily look that up user

Mmh i would try to try it ? Is there a wiki where I can learn how to install?

Actually if you are into GayMen, Windows is the only feasible option.

Some Gaymes are available in Linux though, with (20 to 50%) less performance, but hey ... at least it's werks.

Attached: Crossdresser Gaymer.jpg (634x415, 30K)

Don't even fall for it user

Literally most useless distro if you ask me.

>what's the difference between manjaro and antergos

Manjaro repos are not bleeding edge. Their Packages are older and less updated, for "muh" stability.

Manjaro also includes tons of bloatware installed by default

But even Antergos also includes some bloat as well (as Numix themes faggotry)

just disregard the memes and install ubuntu if it's your first linux installation

after you're more or less comfortable with how linux works and some basic cli stuff move onto something else (if you want to)

I’d say Antergos because it has the repositories of Arch and can have lots of useful things set up during install

Don't fall for this meme.
Unless you wanna sacrifice at least an entire week of vacation (without work or college) to configure it.

Install Microsoft Windows 10

Attached: wsl.png (800x652, 103K)

The gentoo wiki has all the steps. Gentoo is the perfect meme because those who haven't used it think it's a joke and those that have mostly find it to be the best distro option around. It takes a longer initial setup time but you make it all back in ease of maintenance. People like to say updates take forever but I can compile my own fucking kernels, setup grub for finding new shit, and reboot faster than win10 updates on my work notebook.
t.gentoo gamer

3 0 0 0

Attached: xuzut0oofvhz.jpg (782x440, 43K)

Debian

t. GNOME using brainlet

(you)

>officially

Attached: Screenshot_20180524-230004.png (1080x484, 63K)

*one shekel has been deposited on your account*