/wt/ - Watch Thread, Rolex edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=uPnTOcCEugU

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=rGgG-0lOJjk

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread

Attached: Rolex6538.jpg (800x520, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/vacheron-constantin-les-cabinotiers-celestia-astronomical-grand-complication-introducing
reddit.com/user/AgniKan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for the glory of pre-maxicase Rolex.

Attached: vintage-pepsi-GMT-1675.jpg (1000x577, 59K)

First for best investment.

Attached: Wrist.jpg (3024x2016, 907K)

best pre-maxicase? Not a huge fan of the pepsi-gmt, believe it or not
it's kind of cool how they worked with the colors, probably not too bad of an investment as it is super unique but very few would wear that in public

First for grails. Pick gold for full on manly wrist-wear.

Attached: Rolex-Day-Date-40-Caliber-3255.jpg (859x600, 114K)

My most worn watch.
This watch is lovely on the wrist.

Attached: c60.jpg (2949x2949, 623K)

My grail

Attached: dww.png (498x669, 324K)

Attached: ecodriv.jpg (1200x1200, 92K)

What does /wt/ think of this kikestarter watch?

Attached: odyssea2.jpg (1552x873, 207K)

It's kind of nuts how much effort they put into picking out all the stones. They only use flawless jewels with perfect color. The demand is insane as they are produced in limited quantities and sell for huge markups over RRP.

I pity you both.

Not a big fan, the design doesn't feel very cohesive.

Rolex gem-set watches are crazy. Disregarding the awful looks, they are incredibly well made. I absolutely respect the Rainbow Daytona.

I hated it the first time I saw it but the more I learned about the RBOW's they kind of grew on me because of all the skilled work they put into making them.

Still I couldn't see myself ever wearing one though.

What do you guys think about wearing ladies watches, that looks manly and unisex, but are really categorized as for ladies?

Unless it's 32mm or has diamonds on it, it's unisex. It doesn't matter who it's marketed to.

There are plenty of unisex watches that either can wear. Nothing wrong with it for those with small wrists.

this looks better and is probably cheaper

Attached: c65.jpg (569x440, 41K)

Is this the thread where we post our shitters?

quick! It's 1935!

Your time machine only sends you back for enough time to hit the stores. ((Hitler is OK in your book!))

What watch do you bring home?

As many Patek, Rolex and Vacheron as I can buy.

Pateks, Vacherons, JLCs, and Omegas. Buy Buy Buy!

> 1935
Slim pickings. I could try to come away with a Rolex kew A wristwatch but it'll be tough.

> Amazing movements how?
hodinkee.com/articles/vacheron-constantin-les-cabinotiers-celestia-astronomical-grand-complication-introducing

Does anyone know when Seiko will release these?
They're the first modern re-interpretation that looks really good

Attached: SNE498_SNE499.jpg (1000x820, 160K)

>steal from as many watch stores for watches with boxes and papers as possible
Even shitters from then with boxes and papers in mint condition are worth a fair bit.

Which watches look better with perlon and which ones look better with NATO straps?

>perlon
All.
>NATO
None.

How small is your wrist for a 38mm watch to look so big? It looked pretty small on me.

Attached: IMG_20161210_201923.jpg (720x720, 161K)

This is damn good looking watch. Especially in black.

Attached: C65 Diver.jpg (987x987, 160K)

How much are these?
That awful X makes them look about £150.

6.25 inches :/
Its also a wide angle lens so the watch doesn't look that big in person.

The PADI one is a zero out of ten for me.
The other one is nice and if the price is reasonable I am in the market for a decent diver. Though I would like to have a brand that isn't Seiko as my daily is a Seiko and variety is nice.

Do watch dials age a lot? I mean, is this a serious problem? I don't want my dials to get ugly in 20 or 30 or 40 years from now.

That's about an inch smaller than mine, I thought my Trident 300 was a great watch. I never wore it after getting a SARB though so I sold it.

Depends, but generally no. This watch is around 40 years old, for example.

Attached: IMG_20170610_134003.jpg (1836x3222, 1.12M)

do you not have bigger problems to think about for 40 years in the future?

Don't they already have cheaper "not quite a marine master" Seikos out there?

>That awful X makes them look about £150.
I get the same feeling from it.
I like the dimensions and the looks, but the X and the relatively cheap and generic movement turn me off it.

Which SARB?

Pic is 40 year old watch., It's flawless.

Attached: 1523700026332.jpg (2304x2598, 3.27M)

There are cheaper tuna style divers with shrouds but they look too far off from the original. That's why this one is interesting since it's so close to the expensive tuna divers

Depends on how it's stored and used. Many dials will patina in sunlight and will definitely be damaged by moisture intrusion.

Attached: 20170813_013632.jpg (2650x1189, 1.76M)

Modern watches are much less prone to that. Materials have improved a lot.

Good to know. Plus if you have a black dial then I suppose you're even more safe, am I right?

This 70+ year old watch is in pretty good shape; you can see a damaged spot on the dial, which isn't a big deal, but also some very minor degradation around the edges, likely due to moisture.

Attached: 20170402_193159.jpg (4032x3024, 3.37M)

It should be but of course if you buy a shitter don't expect much compared to a Rolex who have spent billions in R&D to produce a watch that'll last a lifetime.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, buying a JLC. If a watch like that gets ruined then I will cry.

What's the best fake Rolex to buy in the 35mm - 38mm range. I want to test it out before buying the real thing.

Attached: Dd-nfz5VwAA_2UO.jpg (319x319, 20K)

A lot has to do with the tightness of the case. Pocketwatches tend to be in much better shape. This one is from the 30s.

Attached: 20170703_223242-1664x2441.jpg (1664x2441, 713K)

And then this one from the 1880s is in similar situations to the watch from the 40s.

Attached: 20180314_225341-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.9M)

Datejust or Explorer.

A JLC should be more than fine. Any particular model?

36mm Yacht-master Platinum

CWC

I'm considering this one, either with a strap or bracelet. The only problem is that I'm not sure how casual it is. I fear it's not casual enough for me.

Attached: JLC Master Control Date q1548470_front.png (1000x1108, 604K)

I'm thinking Damasko

Attached: produktfoto-DSUB2-01.jpg (1160x675, 128K)

Because I don't dress up in a suit all that often. It's mostly nice sweaters and jeans, piquet shirts or shirts under a sweater and so on.

People who post sub-$3000 watches in these threads need to be exterminated.

Attached: disgust.jpg (256x256, 14K)

Don't get the bracelet. Their bracelets on that line are pure 1990s tier trash still, as I recall.

lol theres this little fairy twink on reddit who wears a ladies, diamond set datejust or something. He literally wears fucking sweaters with sparkles in it and these flamboyant ass shoes, he's like some weird child of an eccentric British millionaire. Literally dresses like the rich people from that hunger games movie.

This is his username check out his post history lmao: reddit.com/user/AgniKan

That's plenty casual 2bh. If you said shorts and t shirt is your most common I would say it is too formal. You would know best though.

>People who shitpost without even posting a watch in these threads need to be exterminated.

That definitely can be worn casual and with smart. Normies will have no idea what it is so it will go under the radar.

do you like my watch

Attached: dwn.jpg (742x734, 77K)

STOP POSTING YOUR SEIKO, SHITIZEN, CASIO AND TAG JUNK IN THESE FUCKING THREADS YOU SUBHUMAN PIECE OF SHIT I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU POST YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS RIGHT NOW AND I WILL SLAUGHTER YOU

lol he deleted all his posts after I got into an argument with him in multiple threads, let me see if i can link the archive

Is this one of the many masks, or personas the tudorfag creates?

How about you go back and never return?

inb4 ip ban

Attached: 20180515_115424.jpg (1641x1641, 1.22M)

Wristcheque time, It's a Sub kind of day;

don't mean to Schumi Speedy user, he is nice :3

Attached: IMG_1488.jpg (816x767, 186K)

My thoughts exactly. I wish it was more modern, because bracelet makes a watch more casual. But that bracelet is not pretty.

That's what I've been considering. I don't do smart dress a lot, it's mostly nice sweaters with jeans, shirts underneat the sweater and so on. I do have a classic style, but it's not smart dress with blasers and such.

It depends, the watch on the right is around 60 years old and has aged a lot, the one on the left is around 45 years old and looks fine.

Attached: IMG_20180524_224452.jpg (1564x1564, 1.12M)

hello, fellow rolex anony!!

Attached: image.jpg (768x768, 165K)

You're over-thinking it. They won't care at all, to them it's just a watch.

haha I was memeing on co.ward for a while now but this on looks kind alright

never posted because of my old tattoos and cause you'll all probably call me a nog, but since we are all posting Rollies bruh.... shiiiiieeeeeeeettt

Attached: IMG_8007.jpg (576x768, 127K)

I haven't done one of these in a minute.

Attached: SmartSelect.jpg (807x1302, 580K)

sending the hammy back to jomashop this morning. Now I have no watches left

Attached: 1516130879086.jpg (885x960, 104K)

>reverse image search
>0 results

wow a real (((AA)))

The range of acceptable situations for most watches, the one you like in particular are very wide. You will be fine.

I've worn my Patek Calatrava with a tshirt and jeans, no one gives a shit.

Have some pics of the watch?

What do you mean? Not him btw.

Still wearing my new slavshit. No new pic though.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180523_144110.jpg (1537x1537, 1.15M)

hey nog friend

I don't have a wrist shot to hand but I use this model a lot as a casual daily beater. It's really understated.

Attached: patek_philippe_calatrava_ref_5227g.jpg (1536x1536, 160K)

Did you explore anything today /wt/?

Attached: IMG_20180524_191755.jpg (759x1012, 214K)

How tall is that case?

Case diameter: 39 mm. Height: 9.24 mm

Does the case "disappear" so that you mostly just see the bezel, because it's so slim, or is the case very visible on your wrist despite it being so slim?

I was thinking I read about calatrava's the other day. They have a couple of pages about them in the latest Hodinkee mag.

Non-ceramic subs look junk.

Sorry.

If my post's unique ID ends in five or more of the same digits, I'll watch this right now.

Attached: 1514054406579.png (371x365, 129K)

You see more case than bezel but that model has a real sweet 'scoop' on the lugs that somehow simply works.

Attached: 5227G_010_3.jpg (2200x1375, 71K)

How unlucky... It was pretty close.

:^)

If money is no object the Calatrava will always be near the top if not the top of the list when it comes to dress watches.

What a stupid opinion.

Attached: Casio-G-Shock-Rangeman-Wireless-Charging.jpg (570x380, 76K)

AFrican AmerikAn