/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism.

>What is computing minimalism?
linfo.org/unix_philosophy.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
>Obscure minimal
Plan 9, FreeDOS, Minix3, Genode
>Meme minimal
Crux, Void, GuixSD, FreeBSD, SourceMage
>Autistic minimal
Gentoo, Alpine, OpenBSD, LFS
>Most sane minimal
Arch Linux, Debian (netinst)

>Minimal Programs
>WM (window manager)
dwm (most sanest and most minimalist)
>Web browsers
Firefox or any of the popular text based web browsers (w3m, links)
>File Manager
Terminal
>Video/Music player
Mpv or cmus
>Text editors
GNU nano or Vim
>Image viewer
FEH or sxiv
>Shells
mksh or dash
>Terminal
st (simple terminal) or rxvt-unicode

>Useful links
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks
Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers
Without Systemd: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

>Website development
werc.cat-v.org/
learnbchs.org/
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY (The World Wide Web Sucks)

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: nyasharisha.jpg (1080x1350, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

txti.es/
midori-browser.org/
git.suckless.org/dwm/tree/config.def.h
wiki.debian.org/Dwm
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
youtube.com/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU
suckless.org/rocks/
github.com/gokcehan/lf
forum.banana-pi.org/uploads/default/original/2X/5/5ae9ea10a97bee2118dc01e8d4efd7c7ca7db1b7.jpg
neovim.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

daily reminder that arch is minimal for the maintainers, not end users

and it's beautiful

what are your thoughts on this website?
txti.es/

Attached: lul.png (790x443, 22K)

>firefox
>minimal
I cringe every time

I think the main issue with minimal browsers is that the web is not minimal. More minimal browsers than firefox (and its derivatives) certainly exist, but they most often either can't render modern sites properly, or are based on chromium underneath or something, making it pointless. Hopefully, more sites will offer text-only versions die to GDPR, but I doubt most will change.

The most minimal way to browse the internet is to limit the sites that you browse to non-bloated sites.

Got openbox, made keybindings for fast workflow but still can't get into terminal only philosophy. Tried ranger and went back to thunar. Help bros, any advice?

I use thunar too but 99% of time I'm in terminal.

How is that? What's your workflow?

this
web browsers just keep up with the bloated web standards(JavaScript is a big one)

pic related is a example of a bloated desktop

Attached: 4uc49g0gbtz01.png (1920x1080, 739K)

>most sanest

>The most minimal way to browse the internet is to limit the sites that you browse to non-bloated sites.
Time to keep browsing Jow Forums then **disable javascript**

>he didn't buy a Jow Forums pass
if it's free you are the product

It's the least shitty website on the entire internet. Could be improved with a better backend (IIRC it's running a GNU/Linux backend, would be better as a OBSD + httpd + cmark stack). It's still a website using XML on the internet, and is therefore bad, but it's not as bad as literally everything else.

The technologies that drive the web are bloat. The most minimal browser is curl, but it cannot access many of the functions locked behind unnecessary Javascript most sites feature. So, if we want to use the web as it is intended, we need to use Firefox, which is the most minimal *fully-featured* web browser.

However, you could probably cobble together a set of curl scripts to browse/post to Jow Forums, and read websites, at the very least. It would not be a pleasant experience to develop, but afterwards it would likely be smooth sailing (given you stay within websites that are able to function in that way).

An interesting idea: curl and then pipe HTML into pandoc and transform it into *roff, and pipe *that* into less for a more native experience. I can't recall if *roff support hyperlinking, but such a browsing experience might suck less than the modern web.

Still, we need a new webstack that isn't terrible. Is there a more minimal way to describe physical layout than xml? An idea that's been bouncing around in my head is the idea of vectors, defined using a per-vertex plaintext format, that can be filled arbitrarily with bitmaps/videos, more vectors (clipping), or text (wrapped with Knuth-Plass). If those could be manipulated and created using some sort of specialized FORTH-style language, it could make for a very good UX and simplify interpretation/development by a lot.

>macOS
>43 packages

And you faggots waste your time with your meme linux builds haha this is true minimalism.
>Buy the computer
>minimal packages pre-installed
>wow everything still works
>minimalism achieved on my computer and bank account

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 10.41.23 am.png (2224x2082, 303K)

>FreeBSD is minimal
>Arch on the same level as Debian instead of in the trash
Fuck off troll. Stop making retarded generals just to post your opinions.

what colour scheme is that?

You may think that, but macOS is a fustercluck of pure shit and despair. The default install is more than 10gb for fuck's sake, and you can only shave it down below 16 or so with concerted effort. Just by size alone, that's bloat. It's written in C++, a bloated, shitty language, and graphical programs are packaged in massive folders, not binaries. Statically linked Linux binaries are a much cleaner solution, and even those are only half-decent. The kernel consistently loses in microbenchmarks against even Windows goddamn NT. I've lost the link, but there was an article which went pretty in depth with benchmarking things like executable loading, I/O (NVME) minimum possible pings, mass kernel calls, things like that.

On top of that, the hardware is incredibly poor in some key areas, mostly cooling and power delivery. While most custom built desktop PCs and most Thinkpads have overkill cooling and power delivery, Macs tend to have cooling solutions only capable of half or less than any given components' actual need. Physical durability is actually pretty okay in the MacBook Pro line, mostly the 2014 Retina MBP, with magsafe. Still not the best, but decent.

and if it's paid you're paying to be the product.

>user why aren't you using dwm?? It's literally the best

wat do?

Attached: yes.jpg (721x1024, 106K)

Who are you and where's the pale redhead who was sitting here?

>and graphical programs are packaged in massive folders, not binaries
This is one of my favorite things about OS X. The executable and anything else the program needs is in a standardized hierarchy within a directory that's treated as an executable by the GUI

Why not Midori?
midori-browser.org/

Just another webkit wrapper.

>>Web browsers
>Firefox or any of the popular text based web browsers (w3m, links)
>not surf
>>File Manager
>Terminal
>not pcmanfm
shit list bro

>Shells
>mksh or dash
BHAHAHAHAHA

dwm most minimalist good one

>- Fewer bugs
lol
>- Better performance
ahahahhahahah
>- Lower memory footprint
who the fuck cares
>- Better maintainability
definitely not
>- Higher scalability
LOL NO
>- Longer software lifetime
the fuck?? doesn't even make sense
>- Smaller attack surface
eh..

Shit thread.

on i3 rn, how is dwm any better?
is it worth switching

>/mg/ doesn't recommend mg

Attached: Skeet.jpg (789x669, 31K)

you must be over 18 to post here sweetie

Read the comments
git.suckless.org/dwm/tree/config.def.h
make your changes

Guide on how to do it
wiki.debian.org/Dwm

man dwm for more options

When using dwm, you just never think about ricing. Dwm is more minimal than i3. i3 literally uses dmenu and it comes from suckless.

>how is dwm any better?
it's very efficient with only 2000 LOC

dwm has no Lua integration, no 9P support, no shell-based configuration, no remote control, and comes without any additional tools, such as for printing the selection or warping the mouse.

dwm is only a single binary, and its source code is intended to never exceed 2000 SLOC.
dwm doesn’t distinguish between layers: there is no floating or tiled layer. Whether or not the clients of currently selected tag(s) are in tiled layout, you can rearrange them on the fly. Popup and fixed-size windows are always floating, however.

dwm is customized through editing its source code, which makes it extremely fast and secure - it does not process any input data which isn’t known at compile time, except window titles and status text read from the root window’s name. You don’t have to learn Lua/sh/ruby or some weird configuration file format (like X resource files), beside C, to customize it for your needs: you only have to learn C (at least in order to edit the header file).
Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions. There are some distributions that provide binary packages though.

dwm reads from the root window’s name to print arbitrary status text (like the date, load, battery charge). That’s much simpler than larsremote, wmiir and what not…

Atom One Dark on the text editor

why dwm instead of tinywm?
tinywm is minimalist like dwm
tinywm is C just like dwm
the only difference is that,
tinywm uses less resources and ram.

iirc, tinywm wasn't created to be used, just created to prove it could be done.

You're fine to use it though. I think puppy uses it out of box.

I'll be getting a new Acer Swift 1 soon as my secondary work computer. I'm looking for a decent Linux setup to get the best out of its N4200 processor and its 4 GB RAM. I want a minimal environment which isn't too hard to install and which allows me to do light work like note taking, editing/creating document, random web browsing. I have these ideas:

>os
Lubuntu 18.04 minimal
>wm
i3
>file manager
Is the one that comes preinstalled with Lubuntu good?
>video
Mpv I guess? I never used it. I'm not a power user, so everything light and easy to use is fine.
>text editors
Leafpad or Nano. I'm looking for a text editor which allows me to take notes and use syntax highlighting simultaneously.
>image viewer
Feh
>shells
Have no idea
>terminal
Have no idea.

Do terminals and shells impact performance this much?

i used it for a while but i cant use something that wont let me do everything with a mouse or let me do what i want with the windows.

Lubuntu means lxde
Go for ubuntu if you like lubuntu

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

i3 is a good choice
>file manager
use the terminal, can't stress this enough.
>shells
just KNOW bash is BLOAT
>Terminal
watch this video on urxvt
youtube.com/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU

Don't go for the lubuntu/i3 clusterfuck route. You want a fresh authentic install of ubuntu. You would never want preinstalled stuff. Thats not the point minimalism.

Firefox is a minimal web browser but Emacs isn't a minimal text editor?

News to me!

>suckless.org/rocks/
do you see emacs, emacs shill

github.com/gokcehan/lf

Thank you for replying. What's the final result of an Ubuntu minimal installation in terms of desktop features? I'm not sure that I don't want a DE at all, even though I'm pretty accustomed to i3 on my old laptop and I love it.
As for the video, I already know that guy, since I've watched all of his videos about i3. Using a different terminal doesn't make a big difference to me.

>What's the final result of an Ubuntu minimal installation in terms of desktop features?

Nothing. You login in and you see tty. forum.banana-pi.org/uploads/default/original/2X/5/5ae9ea10a97bee2118dc01e8d4efd7c7ca7db1b7.jpg

During the minimal text install you see pic related. I'd suggest you uncheck everything.

Attached: minimal-ubuntu-select-package.png (600x444, 32K)

Shit, that looks maybe a little bit too sterile to my tastes...what if I check one of those DE? Does it install the whole Ubuntu flavour or just the absolute minimal thing?

cute whore

>Terminal
>not pcmanfm

SpaceFM is better

>what if I check one of those DE?
Don't
>Does it install the whole Ubuntu flavour or just the absolute minimal thing?

It installs the DE,Xorg etc etc

All you need is i3.
So
1. Sudo apt-get install xorg
2. sudo apt-get install i3
3. go into your .xinitrc file
4. put this: exec i3

You're done.
Just startx

mmm... gno

actually all you need is weston

it's simpler which is ok if you use i3 in tabbed mode

>Lubuntu means lxde
what?

>Go for ubuntu if you like lubuntu
what? are you literary retarded?

don't listen to him he's trolling you
NEVER use the network install, you don't know if it will work
lubuntu IS minimal anyway

test the live cd, then install
fish is the best shell
st is the best terminal, you can make it yourself with prefix .local, no sudo

Thanks. At the end what I will get is Ubuntu plus i3 and nothing else, right? This sounds awesome, even though it looks easy to fuck up.

Oh well, I guess that I don't want to run the risk of starting an operating system without testing network connection first. Do you recommend to check the Lubuntu minimal version on the installer, though? Does it grant any benefit over the standard install? I mean to use very few programs, to say the truth. Does Lubuntu 18.04 run well on a Apollo Lake cpu though?

>Oh well, I guess that I don't want to run the risk of starting an operating system without testing network connection first. Do you recommend to check the Lubuntu minimal version on the installer, though? Does it grant any benefit over the standard install? I mean to use very few programs, to say the truth. Does Lubuntu 18.04 run well on a Apollo Lake cpu though?

You need pic related. its universal. I'm not a troll, that other guy is so dumb....

Stop asking questions and do it. Do it in a VM.

>Does Lubuntu 18.04 run well on a Apollo Lake cpu though?
no idea, that's what live cds are for

>Does it grant any benefit over the standard install?
no lubuntu is minimal enough as it is

forgot pic

Attached: 81QerFqLubL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 182K)

>in a VM.
vms are not an accurate representation
ubuntu may work ok in vm but shit itself on the real thing

just install lubuntu and apt-get i3

>no lubuntu is minimal enough as it is

DE is bloat.
>At the end what I will get is Ubuntu plus i3 and nothing else, right?

That's the whole point of minimalism and having control on what you install

>DE is bloat.
no it's NOT and you don't have to use LXDE
you can just select openbox or whatever you want
stop giving bad advice

ubuntu/debian mini.iso is crap
oh and it takes longer to install

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port though.

fpbp

>ubuntu/debian mini.iso is crap
oh and it takes longer to install

Attached: 1509014772329.png (403x448, 53K)

What kind of laptop is that?

>Minimal Programs
>WM (window manager)
Ratpoison
>Web browsers
Icecat or links2
>File Manager
vifm
>Video/Music player
MPlayer and MOC
>Text editors
Elvis
>Image viewer
sxiv or fim
>Shells
Bash
>Terminal
Qodem

Attached: 1xczq7.jpg (396x396, 17K)

I said it before, it's an Acer Swift 1. It only has wi-fi connection.

This shit thread is back? And with 3DPD now?

Attached: GK.gif (498x278, 620K)

anime is for dweebs

Report that fag, don't give him (You)'s

I missed these threads.

Been using vim, it is true superior text edotr and ide.

Install GNU Linux-Libre; Linux without botnet bloat.

>elvis
>"im the king, bby"
but seriously, use vim

trying to do this in alpine, but "xorg(missing): required by: world[xorg]"

I do too. Why did they stop getting posted? Not much of the content was being posted in other generals like /fglt/ and /cyb/, so it makes sense as a general.

I wish XMonad was minimal but it needs 200mb worth of GHC binaries

Attached: 1517482883051.png (642x633, 435K)

Anyone mind explaining why Xorg is a server and not a client? Seems fishy and bloated...

vim - bloat = Elvis

neovim is lighter than vim
(30% less source-code)
>neovim.io/

thanks for the fap. wew.

What's the most minimal GUI toolkit?

Attached: 1525690614050.jpg (450x600, 40K)

It's mostly X11 bindings, those are bound to be heavy

I agree with that but up your game user, Elvis is even lighter.

pcmfm is trash.

This so much.

Honestly, never use a laptop without an ethernet port.

Ethernet port is required. But you seem really willing to learn which is good, just buy a laptop with an ethernet port.

Some people don't even bother with configuring wifi or getting wifi packages (wpa, wifi drivers)cause ethernet is more efficient.

the server runs on the program you want to draw graphics on, then the clients (GUI programs) connect to the server to tell it what to draw

get yourself a usb->ethernet adapter, they are $5-$10 and come in handy in a pinch, you'll thank me later

Get that. Then get ubuntu mini.iso and do your install

My thanks, but what's the real issue about installing any Linux distro through wi-fi? I installed Xubuntu 16.04 on my old laptop using wi-fi a couple of years ago and I had no problem at all

>but what's the real issue about installing any Linux distro through wi-fi?
As long as your w-ifi card is supported it should work just fine honestly. Some installations may require you to set it up manually though. Lubuntu shouldn't.

>but what's the real issue about installing any Linux distro through wi-fi?

It doesn't support all types of wifi cards out of the box. Thats why most people download wifi drivers using ethernet. I never used wifi to do a net install of debian. It's possible but ethernet is wayyyy faster, plug it in and i'm in.

But yeah man, go for ubuntu net iso, install xorg+i3 and you are good to go.

Attached: nya.jpg (1080x1350, 162K)

nou

Can u elaborate on this?

Not him but spacefm is lighter and can do addons, haven't use addons though the program is good as it is and even has multiple panes and tree views.

bump

If you really think about it. All GUI & TUI file managers are trash. The true way to manage files is through the terminal. Also it could improve your wpm i guess

troff is a thin wrapper around ps. Hyperlinking is way too modern for it. I also don't think less supports hyperlinking, because it's just a fancy pager.

Slow, buggy and not necessary.
Use the terminal or a CLI file manager.

Besides ncurses? Probably Perl Tk