/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1516720879113.jpg (640x560, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00FE2VQXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
apowersoft.com/recuva-alternative-for-mac.html
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-N300-WNR2000/dp/B001AZP8EW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How many sorts can a computer sort if a computer can sort and build sorts?

still breaks CSS

Is there a program like windirstat for loonix?

Attached: 1514562781287.jpg (900x1200, 160K)

I have my sound set to 10 but it's still really loud, some games are almost deafening even on volume 5, I'm using headphones, they don't have any separate volume control on them, is this normal? Seems weird that only 1-10 is usable on a 0-100 scale, anywhere I should look into to fix it?

Attached: file.png (289x107, 2K)

Here are my current filters, the sites are blocked and nothing breaks.

Attached: filters.png (437x702, 49K)

And here are my custom filters:
@@||Jow Forums.org^*$csp=default-src 'self' * data: 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'
Jow Forums.org##script:inject(abort-current-inline-script.js, String.fromCharCode)

install ncdu

Check the real tek sliders, they might be 100

still breaks CSS

Attached: 43547635243546346.jpg (657x527, 41K)

Firefox or Chrome?

Chrome

What does git mean in terms of a release version (like 1.7.3_GIT)?

Which 4chanX fork and are you using uMatrix?

Latest tampermonkey release, and no.

>go to qwant to test it because muh privacy
>See it has my country instantly
Wtf? I thought it respected your privacy

Attached: Screenshot_20180524_223159.png (732x297, 13K)

Is it worth to use firefox beta/nightly?

Why are you using tampermonkey? why do you need it?

The git is generally the non-stable and most updated version
Yaourt in the official repo and yaourt_git in the aur

Should I take the time to study algos/DS in more depth and pick up an non-interpreted language if I want to move from my light webdev job into something that deals with software engineering more properly?

Why does modern UI / UX promote low contrast, large whitespace, low usability, high frustration, maximum steps to do anything, user interfaces? Is it a conspiracy to prevent society from benefiting from computers?

fucking /vg/ man Thanks f.a.m

hey guys I need help setting up a weblogic server
do you guys know of an active chat group about oracle shit
thanks

Yes. Even if you don't memorize the popular algos, it is good to know that they exist and why. Some problems come up over and over and people have found short, easy ways to solve them that might not be obvious. You could save yourself a ton of time later, and also impress potential employers, if you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you write a program.

I have a Dell P2415Q.

I was a complete autust before and completing a mDP > mDP conneciton via a mDP/DP cable and an mDP/DP adaptor.

The adaptor has broken. Pluggin in the cable normally (mDP end at R9 280x, DP end at Monitor) blackscreens me - display isn't recognised.

What am i doing wrong and how fix? Using HDMI caps me to 30fps.

Thanks. This is generally the advice most people give me. Is Algorithm Design Manual a good start? What would you recommend between Java/C/C++/C#? I'm coming from JS and Python.

How do I get this Windows folder that takes up a significant amount of my boot drive space without fucking up the Windows beyond bootability?

Attached: Untitled.png (641x598, 32K)

Is a remote desktop session going to be secure on just my LAN? I just want to check up on a program that runs continuously on my workstation when im working on my laptop throughout the house.

Any way to follow instagrams without an app?
I don't have a phone but don't want 20 tabs of these instagram thots open

So I recently bought powerlines to connect ethernet ports from the downstairs router to my upstairs computer because wifi gets shotty with how much wireless shit is going on in the house.

However, I got the power light to come on, the ethernet light turned on, but the status light wouldn't light up. My computer recognizes there's some form of connection but tells me it can't validate an IP so I did the typical winsock reset and ipconfig shit to no avail.

Any other suggestions to get these things working?
I had extra so I tried out the others, and I tried them on the same power strip (I didn't connect them to the power strip normally before you ask, I only did it to test pairing) and still nothing.

The item in question:
amazon.com/gp/product/B00FE2VQXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached: 1520223546065.png (357x452, 207K)

yeah if its just listening on a local interface and no one else has access to your network theres absolutely nothing to worry about

It is heavy because it contains driver files, 50% of it is probably video drivers.

Why are rechargeable batteries 1.2v and not 1.5v like the rest?

Yeah well but I don't need 600+ drivers, do I? And not all of them seem to be even GPU related either, there's a lot of some random vague shit. I'm just looking for a safe way to nuke everything that's not needed at all.

>Yeah well but I don't need 600+ drivers, do I?
Yes you do, and you have a screen on don't you? you have a GPU, it could be a IGPU but it still needs drivers.
It also contains all generic microsoft drivers for PnP stuff.

I'm really freaking out here. I took some photos on an SD card on my camera. It's an SD card I've been using with no problems for a few months. I took the card out, put it in my computer and it appeared blank. Everything was gone. I did a preview scan with a trial of some recovery software and everything IS still on there. Is the only way to get these photos back to purchase this extremely expensive software? I can't find any cracks for it and I can't find anything else I can do to get around this. I tried putting the card back in the camera, repaired it in First Aid, and nothing. I feel so sad to have lost this

Attached: 1517721684957.jpg (960x1280, 311K)

That does not seem quite right, that folder used to be multiple times smaller and grew so big over time, I'm pretty sure like 90% of these drivers are either redundant or not in use. Although it seems like a substantial chunk of them only takes a few hundred kB each so I'd have to figure out which ones are the big ones.

Does anyone recognize this foobar player?
My harddrive just borked and I'd been using this skin for almost 5 years but I can't remember the name

Attached: notb (22)00_00_14.jpg (1600x900, 368K)

What program did you use?

You dont need to pay for a program for data recovery.
Hell the best programs are free an/or open source.
Download Recuva and run a deep scan.

>Why this happens
Because the camera might be using a custom format, or you have malware in your PC, the common USB one that hides your USB files and creates a shortcut file that is actually a executable for malware.

To preview the files? I used Stellar Phoenix. Then I tried the Sandisk RescuePro Deluxe trial to see if it would give me some of the files for free but it doesn't. I'm downloading a crack of RescuePro now but I really wish there was some way I could just re-jig the SD card to just show my files again without spending hours on recovery

You should be able to move the folder to another drive and symlink it to the original location

mklink /d C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Filerepository D:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Filerepository

Download Recuva, run it, done.
Testdisk is a more complicated alternative but also works.
Most of those software are scams, like most paid antivirus software.

I just did du -h | sort -h on the folder and it looks like you were right about it being the GPU drivers, there's like a few dozens of nvidia related packages that are 400MB+ each, I'll try a clean install first and see how much of disk space that frees up, if that does not work I'll try symlinking, thanks for letting me know, hopefully Windows won't explode in that case but you never know with MS.

I have a 32gb SD card in my phone on LineageOS that I have set as internal shared storage so that it can be written to by downloaded apps, but it doesn't seem to let me move things to it. From a computer I'm using "adb push [files] /storage/emulated/0/" but then it fills up the 16gb internal storage on the phone instead of going to the SD card. I do recall having it set up this way on Lineage before a reinstall but it always let me move things straight to the SD card from /storage/emulated/0/. Why is this happening?

tl;dr my SD card isn't working when set as internal storage

The best I've found for card recovery were CardRecovery and EaseUS, both are available through torrents too.

I can't run Recuva as I'm using a Mac. I just did a malware search and nothing came up. I'm using a really cheap SD card reader that was like $3 from ebay as my actual SD card reader built into my MPB is busted. Could that have something to do with it?

Using Windows 10, UAC set to max, why am I getting inbound firewall UAC prompts for some programs but not others? For example, with Steam, it doesn't ask me, but automatically adds inbound allow rules without even letting me know. How can I make it so that it asks for every program?

apowersoft.com/recuva-alternative-for-mac.html

Help me understand this moonspeak. I'm wiring a 4 channel relay that uses garage door openers to activate something. Here's how the terminals are laid out

Terminal 1 - Contact NO Relay
Terminal 2 - Contact C Relay1
Terminal 3 - Contact NO Relay2
Terminal 4 - Contact C Relay2
Terminal 5 - Contact NC Relay2
Terminal 6 - Contact NO Relay3
Terminal 7 - Contact C Relay3
Terminal 8 - Contact NO Relay 4
Terminal 9 - Contact C Relay4
Terminal 10 - Contact NC Relay4
Terminal 11 - Input Supply Common
Terminal 12 - Input Supply +12Vac/dc
Terminal 13 - Input Supply +24Vac/dc
Terminal 14 - Pole Antenna
Terminal 15 - Ground Antenna

I believe that the four terminals Terminal 1, Terminal 3, Terminal 6, and Terminal 8 are where the input from the garage door openers is relayed to a main board. Are "Contact C Relay#" contacts meant to connect to the Input Supply Common? Could I use wires to jumper them all together? What is the "Contact NC Relay4" meant to be?

Thanks in advance for the quick rundown on Electrical Engineering 101.

Attached: 1523719405479.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

For the same reason you don't need UAC for every program.

Why doesn't the "Auto-scroll with updated posts" do fucking nothing? I remember it working once but now it doesn't do anything.

Does anyone have those any funny exaggerated performance comparison graphs?

I remember seeing a good one with something like Intel vs AMD a year ago where the difference was just one point apart but the graph scale was so small that the different looked large.

I too would like to figure this out. All i can think of is that some shit was popular/made money and everyone else just copies it.

Just an update, I used some third party driver uninstaller utility and then reinstalled the newer driver and it freed up 31 GB of space on my hard drive. What kind of fucking retards is responsible for this shitware.

Attached: file.png (1073x771, 266K)

They're still posted in /pcbg/ all the time, try there.

i found a really old cd i've burned, and it's a multisession cd, one session was a VCD track and the other was standard data track, but when i put the cd in my pc, it only shows the one data track, and the other session's data is hidden. I used to have a program that would let me switch the data tracks around but i can't remember what it was. How can i make windows read the other session instead of what it shows?

When I was installing windows 10 on a brand new system it crashed after installation/during its initialization. The crash was related to overclocking 3000mhz ram to 3066 using xmp profile. Is it possible this might have damaged some hardware? Or if it's possible it might have messed up proper initialization of windows 10? Would it be a good idea to just reinstall windows again?

IM HAVING A BLAST

Attached: file.png (1000x1000, 15K)

Try to open the cd with a video player like vlc

thanks, it worked, but i still want access to that data so i can copy it to my hdd. i tried using Nero's 'save data track' but it won't let me save that specific track for some reason.

Anyone have experience with this?

Just use vlc to rip the video into a new file.

>Having Nvidia geforce experience installed
You were asking for it.

What should the first programming language I learn be, and what are some good resources for it?

Attached: 1514592733100.jpg (300x544, 37K)

>I want a job
Java
>I want to do things and learn an actual language
C+ and python.

How come my wifi goes from completely fine to play games on to utter lag spiking shit?

Multiple reasons.
Busy channel/interference.
Your wifi card/device is shit.
You lack drivers.

I got the drivers which helped, but it usually games fine then other times it's just a mess, it doesn't seem to matter whether people are here or not.

I also tried being a wired connection here
But I'm not sure if it will work out since I can't get it to connect

You dont need people to be around to have interference.
Download Wifianalyzer in a phone and run it.

But Steam doesn't have admin privileges, or at least it doesn't ask for them when starting. I'm not sure if Steam needs/should have inbound firewall permission. I read somewhere that inbound connections should be blocked for home users.

This picture is what you want right?

Ya I know it's cluttered as shit.

Attached: Screenshot_20180524-163857.png (1440x2560, 173K)

Microwaves can affect your connection too.

I'm aware but it's not an issue for me here.

A time graph, don't know if it matters.
The huge spikes were me changing it to 5ghz for a second twice.

Attached: Screenshot_20180524-164611.png (1440x2560, 205K)

What are you using for Wifi, a USB or PCIe adapter?

USB Wifi adapter.
It's not the best but at my old house it worked fine for gaming lag free and downloading shit, but since we moved to the mountains where everyone lives super close to each other I get huge lag spikes every now and again and it causes me to rubberband like a mother fucker in games.

I tried getting powerlines to work but I have no idea why they wont pair.

Does anyone have experience with adding https to a github pages site? Ive pointed my a records (2 of) to their secure (18x.) Dns. But it still wont let me click force https "no certificate" or something like that. And i cant find much info past that as most other people get the option enabled fairly quick

Have you tried 5 GHz (if you can)?

Is my T420 from Australia? I got mine from an Australian immigrant and every time I unplug the charger, the refresh rate changes to 50Hz and I would have to manually change it back to 60Hz every time.

I checked it out actually, running the 5ghz time graph brought only 1 single connection, which was the cable box to another cable box in my house which is a faux 5ghz since it still interacts with 2.4.

I don't know if my router is a 5ghz or if I can switch it, do I log into the router to check?

No, that is just the old intel IGPU settings.
Go to IGPU drivers, change 50Hz to 60Hz.
You only have to do it once.

The plugged in and battery video settings are 2 different profiles that change once you unplug or plug the charger.

How can i connect remotely to my desktop from another pc? RDC is enabled on it and ive done it through my ipad, but all it needed was my desktops ip and account name. That was while it was on the same network as the desktop, this time im 2 states away. The stock windows program is asking for the pc name and neither my ip nor the desktop name has worked.

Yeah, log in and check the settings.

You need to setup port forewarding up on the machines you want to connect to remotly

How do I do it exactly?

>port forwarding
Well fuck cant do that from here, gotta remember to do that when i get back

NVM, I got it. I disabled "Display Refresh Rate Switching" and it worked.

how to do code formatting on 4chin?

Alt+C.

I tried logging in, but someone here must've changed the username and password; however I have the box and it says it's only 2.4 ghz

This is the router:
amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-N300-WNR2000/dp/B001AZP8EW

But ya, I just bought powerlines and I can't make them connect, which I'm still asking for solutions because I just bought them.

Should I?

Attached: 1507383172012.png (368x206, 9K)

I didn't. No need

"Modern UX" including extra whitespace, flat design, clean iconography and typography, contextual actions, etc, is actually evidence-based science. The problem is that many people don't apply the principals properly.
Instead of using the right tool for the job, or doing user testing to find flaws in an interface, or doing a UI rework starting with the basic principals, it often becomes a meme where the superficial aspects are copy+pasted and any meaningful UX design is abandoned.
>Hey, it looks flat and has a ribbon, slick UX!

The fact devs take shortcuts like designing for one device and just scaling things badly for others (eg phone-first UIs) compounds this further.

Attached: butter_me_up_sunshine.jpg (500x670, 83K)

Found a solution: you need to remove the custom domain and re add it to trigger the issuing of a certificate. Takes 24h

Sooooo my PC powers off for no reason every week or so, no bsod, nothing in event viewer aside from the improper shutdown notice. It will restart on it's own if I let it. I just got the gpu a few weeks ago is there any program I can use to track what it's doing? My only backup card is fried.

Can you try with the igpu? What wattage is your psu? Might be too low

how many books do you have to read on a topic to be considered a professional?

Books arent enough. Applied theory is what really matters. All in all something like 4k hours.

You guys told me to upgrade my ram, you didn't say the new shit won't be compatable with my mobo. Now what?

Attached: 20180524_185430-784x1613.jpg (784x1613, 252K)